• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Final character of Fighters Pass 2 = Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney ) via Capcom

1 all other major Capcom series have gotten SSBU representation of some kind; mostly spirits and mii costumes
2 There’s a glitch where Cloud's cross slash gets stuck. It fits well with Phoenix Wright's objections & TAKE THAT!
3 in the Mario Rapper leak; the “final” character is from a Capcom franchise which does not involve fighting
4 Phoenix already has a fighting game appearances under his belt, in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3,
5 every company who got a character in Fighter’s pass 2 has had previous playable character representation in SSBU

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

1 all other major Capcom series have gotten SSBU representation of some kind; mostly spirits and mii costumes
2 There’s a glitch where Cloud's cross slash gets stuck. It fits well with Phoenix Wright's objections & TAKE THAT!
3 in the Mario Rapper leak; the “final” character is from a Capcom franchise which does not involve fighting
4 Phoenix already has two fighting game appearances under his belt, in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, & Project X Zone 2
5 every company who got a character in Fighter’s pass 2 has had previous playable character representation in SSBU
I just want to mention That Project X Zone 2 isn't a fighting game. It's an RPG.
A Super robot wars spin off to be specific, focusing on game character rather than anime ones.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
While i wait for my copy of the Great Ace Attorney to arrive i figured i would revisit the first game.

I miss the Wii version of the game, not gonna lie. Ive never been able to adjust to the look of the updated sprites used in the modern ports of the trilogy.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

4 Phoenix already has a fighting game appearances under his belt, in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3,
2. That is dumb
3. Everything that leak got right was super vague, so this means nothing.
4. OK, and so has basically every Capcom character.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I made a silly video about the new Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl game. I hope you enjoy it.
Phoenix Wright for Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, lets go

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
2. That is dumb
3. Everything that leak got right was super vague, so this means nothing.
4. OK, and so has basically every Capcom character.
2. whether or not you think its dumb doesnt matter, objectively speaking it fits pretty well.
3. the stuff that leak got right isnt vague at all and its really specific, like bruh i really dont get how anyone can look at it and call it fake. Personally i think its fake not because its vague(because it isnt) but rather because its too specific.
4. Its a valid point because Phoenix currently doesnt have any competition with other Capcom characters, at least imo.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
2. whether or not you think its dumb doesnt matter, objectively speaking it fits pretty well.
3. the stuff that leak got right isnt vague at all and its really specific, like bruh i really dont get how anyone can look at it and call it fake. Personally i think its fake not because its vague(because it isnt) but rather because its too specific.
4. Its a valid point because Phoenix currently doesnt have any competition with other Capcom characters, at least imo.
thank you

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
After watching the Papagenos video I also think the Cloud Cross Slash glitch thingy could mean something. We don't know for sure, but it's definitely a possibility that they were experimenting with text bubbles or maybe psyche locks that stay out for a period of time. I think Phoenix has a decent shot (especially considering almost all other big capcom franchises except for AA already got content in Smash) and unless we see an Ace Attorney spirit event I will still believe in our lawyer's chances as the final character!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think that leak's fake but Phoenix has a great shot anyway. So many I just think would've been shown at E3 instead, in my limited perspective it comes down to Phoenix, Cinderace has a good shot, maybe that Shin Megami Tensei 5 person after all, or umm...I guess maybe Ninja Gaiden. I'm just expecting Phoenix at this point, but a good way to let us down easy I think'd be maybe this next Tuesday we'll see a spirit event for Ace Attorney chronicles that takes the chance to include not just Ryunosuke and Susato but also Phoenix and Maya, Edgeworth, maybe some others, but yeah. That'd be the nail in the coffin. So unless that happens I'm setting myself up for a Phoenix finale whether it'll end good or bad haha

I dunno about yall but I've been in a weird mood I guess with this stuff? Where like, Smash is amazing, they've done a phenomenal job totally, but since it's release I've been playing with friends and going to the select screen and been like "Oh yeah" and I settle and play the other great characters in the game, but I've just felt this like... "Oh yeah Phoenix or Cinderace aren't here yet" and I'm alright at the game but I don't care to put that much effort into guides or learning other characters combos, and since Kazuya's come out I've felt it more than ever. I haven't even cared to play since then. When my internet was out I had fun playing as Kazuya vs Ice Climber computers and had fun, but even now I'm way more excited for the Nickelodeon fighter, I feel so spoiled and ungrateful but I just don't feel like playing Smash unless Phoenix shows up. And I'm not though! I beat everyone's classic on 9.9, I do flashy combos on my buddies and strangers, I have everyone in elite, I beat all the spirits spiritless, I love this game and will keep saying they've done a great job! But I just can't help but feel like a whiny baby that I don't want to play unless Phoenix (or Cinderace) shows up and I've felt that since almost 3 years ago at this point but now more than ever...

Edit: Oh, and Frisk from Undertale, they have a good shot too

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just watched a video on the Professor Layton crossover and it mentioned something that i never thought about until now but it really explained why i dont like Dual Destinies and Spirit of justice.

Professor Layton vs ace attorney and the Great Ace Attorney were made by the A team for the series, and as such feel like proper sequels while 5 and 6 were made by the B team so they feel like non canon spin offs.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That's nonsense. Sure, I'm biased because I think Dual Destinies is excellent and a great follow up to Apollo Justice, but your supposed "B-Team" also made the Investigations games which are great and did an amazing job at expanding the lore. Spirit of Justice had a whole host of pacing issues that aren't present in TGAA but it had deeper issues than the simple Shu Takumi era vs. Modern era dichotomy such as their insistence of revamping the story and raising the stakes to a ridiculous degree.

Also I love PLvAA but I know I'm not exactly in the majority. I find your conclusions to be broad and vague at best.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel the issue is ultimately bloat.

5 insisted on making Phoenix the main character again, and introduced Athena who to be honest really shouldnt have been a "Main character" at all especially when the focus should have been strickly on Apollo's cast of characters. They kept Apollo's characters, brought back some of Phoenix's characters and introduced Athena and a new group of characters all together.
And then 6 brings back Maya and ALSO brings in an entirely new group of characters, all of them being in the same game at once causes so much bloat that it feels like the series no longer has focus.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It's super vague, those predictions could apply to loads of characters. It's impressive how much of a leap of logic you need just to connect that statement to Kazuya

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Idk I'd rather play 5 and 6 again instead of returning to 2, 4 or even the first one to be honest. I think the latter games are more solid than most of previous entries, despite their flaws.

And yeah making Phoenix Wright the main character again is kinda a divisive thing for fans and I get it. But if the future of the franchise was between him being the MC again or not having new games, I'd obviously choose the first option.
And I personally think Nick as a mentor figure for Apollo and Athena is a great idea and works very well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Point is the great ace attorney did exactly what i wanted for a new Ace Attorney and i'm glad it exists.
Entirely new cast and some plot **** that i wont talk about because spoilers but i like how it mixes things up and did exactly what i wanted out of an Ace Attorney title lol

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's super vague, those predictions could apply to loads of characters. It's impressive how much of a leap of logic you need just to connect that statement to Kazuya
I'm with you that the fighters 4 and 5 hints are incredibly vague and could have applied to a fair amount of other characters besides Pyra/Mythra and a Tekken character. I feel the only real weight that thing has going for is the Dante mii costume, everything regarding the bonus fighters and extra content after FP2 really feels like trying to satiate the never ending thirst for Smash content.
I don't think Phoenix is out yet, not until we see a spirit event with him or the next fighter drops without it being him, but I don't see this "leak" having much legitimacy to hold onto it for his chances.
I just watched a video on the Professor Layton crossover and it mentioned something that i never thought about until now but it really explained why i dont like Dual Destinies and Spirit of justice.

Professor Layton vs ace attorney and the Great Ace Attorney were made by the A team for the series, and as such feel like proper sequels while 5 and 6 were made by the B team so they feel like non canon spin offs.
I'm not super acknowledged on videogame development, but you think a series as niche as AA might have two teams ready to dedicate themselves to it in Capcom?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm with you that the fighters 4 and 5 hints are incredibly vague and could have applied to a fair amount of other characters besides Pyra/Mythra and a Tekken character. I feel the only real weight that thing has going for is the Dante mii costume, everything regarding the bonus fighters and extra content after FP2 really feels like trying to satiate the never ending thirst for Smash content.
I don't think Phoenix is out yet, not until we see a spirit event with him or the next fighter drops without it being him, but I don't see this "leak" having much legitimacy to hold onto it for his chances.

I'm not super acknowledged on videogame development, but you think a series as niche as AA might have two teams ready to dedicate themselves to it in Capcom?
Well as far as i know it's not FULLY two teams but there was a significant enough of a difference between the teams that made the original trilogy, AA4, Vs and the great Ace attorney and the team that made the investigations duology, 5 and 6 that you can sort of feel it in how the stories of both kinds of games play out. (Granted Vs also had Level 5 working on it as well as the original team so it also felt like a Layton game)

The series was practically yearly for a good long while before this current hiatus so it would make sense for them have two teams at the ready making enough games for it to be yearly.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I... don't really care about the A team vs B team dichotomy
Each team has given us radically different games, not just compared to the other team's, but each from their own. I don't think there's such a thing as the "A" kind of games and the "B" kind.
I like Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick way better than Dual Destinies, but I like Spirit of Justice, Prosecutor's Path or the unfairly overhated Investigations 1 a ton better than Justice for All. I personally can't "feel" the difference between one group or the other, I feel the difference between each specific game.

"How the stories of both kinds of games play out " doesn't really mean anything to me, because I fail to see how those are different kinds in the first place. I don't "feel" that difference, and I don't even know what the difference is (other than the names in the credits). Describing them as just "feeling" different tells me nothing. Is it the dialogue? The humor? The mystery design? The characterization? I guess, sure, in hindsight, knowing that they have different directors, you can retroactively look at them differently, but if you told me they were all made by the same people, I wouldn't doubt that.

And, even if the two groups really had noticeably different styles, I'd still never say one is necessarily superior to the other. Again, Phoenix Wright over Dual Destinies, but Prosecutor's Path over Justice for All for me. So yeah, there are things that bother me about recent games... but there are things that bother about older games, too. I like some games better than others, but it's not because "A made this" and "B made that"

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
At the least, I do think the Yamazaki games care more to have all their cases connect in a grander manner than Takumi's (although it's not like the latter hasn't done this either, particularly in the Layton crossover).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At the least, I do think the Yamazaki games care more to have all their cases connect in a grander manner than Takumi's (although it's not like the latter hasn't done this either, particularly in the Layton crossover).
That's honestly been a thing since the beginning.
The only game i can think That didn't have much connection was justice for all. All the cases we're pretty disconnected from one another

Ace attorney 1 had the DLC incidente and How it affected the Edgeworth and Fey families
Ace attorney 3 had the Fey family lineage and Phoenix's role in it
Ace attorney 4 had Phoenix losing His badge
and this duology has the mystery of the professor

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
That's honestly been a thing since the beginning.
The only game i can think That didn't have much connection was justice for all. All the cases we're pretty disconnected from one another

Ace attorney 1 had the DLC incidente and How it affected the Edgeworth and Fey families
Ace attorney 3 had the Fey family lineage and Phoenix's role in it
Ace attorney 4 had Phoenix losing His badge
and this duology has the mystery of the professor
I don't think that's quite the same as how games like the Investigations duology and DD handle their overarching plots
While games like the first AA might have Edgeworth grow out of his terrible courtroom methods and discover what started his downwards spiral to what he became, the overall events of stuff like case 1 and 3 don't really connect much with stuff like DL6. Same goes for stuff like cases 2 and 3 of T&T, they introduce Godot and hints that he has sight faults, but the story of the phantom thief or delite cafe don't really matter for the Fey Clan inner problems.
Meanwhile, Investigations 1 have the very first case connect with the illegal smuggling ring, and everything after follows events that are directly related to this issue. The same applies for Investigations 2 and Dual Destinies (although looking back on SoJ, I don't remember cases 2 and especially 4 really mattering much with the Kurain plotline). I'm not considering stuff like DLC cases or Rise of the Ashes much for these arguments as the former are pretty disjointed (likely as it'd be a pretty scummy move to cut out important story events from the core game ala Asura's Wrath) and the latter just added so much latter to the overall events of the original game.
edit: on second thought, I don't remember the 2nd case of DD mattering much for the whole "dark age of the law" thing or the boogieman plot device, did it?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think that's quite the same as how games like the Investigations duology and DD handle their overarching plots
While games like the first AA might have Edgeworth grow out of his terrible courtroom methods and discover what started his downwards spiral to what he became, the overall events of stuff like case 1 and 3 don't really connect much with stuff like DL6. Same goes for stuff like cases 2 and 3 of T&T, they introduce Godot and hints that he has sight faults, but the story of the phantom thief or delite cafe don't really matter for the Fey Clan inner problems.
Meanwhile, Investigations 1 have the very first case connect with the illegal smuggling ring, and everything after follows events that are directly related to this issue. The same applies for Investigations 2 and Dual Destinies (although looking back on SoJ, I don't remember cases 2 and especially 4 really mattering much with the Kurain plotline). I'm not considering stuff like DLC cases or Rise of the Ashes much for these arguments as the former are pretty disjointed (likely as it'd be a pretty scummy move to cut out important story events from the core game ala Asura's Wrath) and the latter just added so much latter to the overall events of the original game.
edit: on second thought, I don't remember the 2nd case of DD mattering much for the whole "dark age of the law" thing or the boogieman plot device, did it?
To be honest i like How the older games handled it better because it allows a bit More leg room in the overall timeline of these games

Like for the most part in the Yamazaki games everything Is condensed inti the span of a couple days while un the other games it takes place over the spam of a year or so.

I know that's a weird thing to Focus on but i kinda like it More like That.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
To be honest i like How the older games handled it better because it allows a bit More leg room in the overall timeline of these games

Like for the most part in the Yamazaki games everything Is condensed inti the span of a couple days while un the other games it takes place over the spam of a year or so.

I know that's a weird thing to Focus on but i kinda like it More like That.
mind you my argument wasn't about one being better than the other, just what I feel is one of the main differences between Takumi and Yamasaki.
The only game after the original trilogy I've truly liked is Investigations 2, everything else I can't say I care about all that much nowadays.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
mind you my argument wasn't about one being better than the other, just what I feel is one of the main differences between Takumi and Yamasaki.
The only game after the original trilogy I've truly liked is Investigations 2, everything else I can't say I care about all that much nowadays.
I was just saying my opinión on it dont worry
Its not like i hate the other kinda of storytelling. Like the crossover Is probably my second favorito and That only takes over the course of like 4 days or so.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even if you have no preference towards any writing team (I certainly do have mine), I think it's apparent that they tackle story and characters differently. Takumi's games are much more episodic and the plot builds across several entries (the Fey arc in 1-3, likely Apollo and Trucy's relationship from 4 onwards). Yamazaki's games all have a much clearer storyline and a single defining theme, that then gets solved by the end to make room for a new one.

On that note, I wonder, given that Takumi's slated to direct AA7, if Yamazaki will work on another project. Could be AAI3, would be cool if they were to re-release the first two to introduce fans to that section of the franchise given TGAA appears to be a resounding success. How would a third Investigations game go nowadays? Would Edgeworth even be the protagonist? What era would it take place in? So many questions...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Even if you have no preference towards any writing team (I certainly do have mine), I think it's apparent that they tackle story and characters differently. Takumi's games are much more episodic and the plot builds across several entries (the Fey arc in 1-3, likely Apollo and Trucy's relationship from 4 onwards). Yamazaki's games all have a much clearer storyline and a single defining theme, that then gets solved by the end to make room for a new one.

On that note, I wonder, given that Takumi's slated to direct AA7, if Yamazaki will work on another project. Could be AAI3, would be cool if they were to re-release the first two to introduce fans to that section of the franchise given TGAA appears to be a resounding success. How would a third Investigations game go nowadays? Would Edgeworth even be the protagonist? What era would it take place in? So many questions...
Didnt Yamazaki leave Capcom? Or am i thinking of something else?

(If we get a new Investigations i would want them to expand of Klavier, if any characters needs the extra screen time its him lol)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
To put it as concisely as I can, I like all the games, I think Trials & Tribulations is my #1 while Apollo Justice is my #2, and while I really love Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice and think they did unique things that cleverly made great use of being in 3D now, I just always found the models (while great) to be a little off and the writing to be a bit more...childish? Or too earnest or something? Talking about how all people feel and hope to trust each other, and you have to open your heart, stuff like that?

There are other things like I think they both used "....." a little too long and made certain moments feel like they could use better timing, and in zoomed out shots I always look at Blackquill's stiff arms as if from a T-Pose they just put his arms at his side and left it at that, but yeah, it's mainly that writing for me, talking about opening hearts or for your protagonist to think "Can this GET any more insane?" my mind keeps going to "childish" for lack of a better term?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
maybe with an actual personality
I'm actually really bumbed That we never got More out of Klavier because the series took such a drastic left turn in AA5.

I feel he should have been the prosecutor for turnabout academy at least. Like, they bothered to make 3d animations of His courtroom sprites only to basically never use them, does anyone else find this kinda weird? lol

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles did well? If that's true, then I hope to god this gives AAI2 a legitimate chance for a release in the West. I'ts what I've wanted for a decade now

Top Bottom