• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Do you guys think we'll see the DGS localisation at the Game Awards?
It's supposed to be released relatively early next year so it might be a good time for it.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Do you guys think we'll see the DGS localisation at the Game Awards?
It's supposed to be released relatively early next year so it might be a good time for it.
If we do get any Ace Attorney news, it would more likely happen next year during the 20th anniversary.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...you think Maya or any of the other companions of Nick would show up in the taunts or victory screens?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hmm...you think Maya or any of the other companions of Nick would show up in the taunts or victory screens?
Maya definitely, either as a taunt or part of the moveset.
Miles definitely could make an appearance, either as an alt (he summons Kay or Gumshoe instead of Maya) or as a part of one of Phoenix's victory screens. It really depends on how many extra models they want to make.

Franziska and Godot could show up but it'd be a bit of a stretch.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
welp, looks like it's happening, kinda kills a bit of the surprise factor announcing it like that. Looks like we're getting half of this fighter pass known before the years end after all.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm honestly predicting Crash for this one, but I'd love to see Phoenix instead.
yeah, sadly I don't think this is Phoenix time to rise (yet at least). This is asking to be proven wrong later on, but I'd think this could be like Jokers reveal and be related to this/last years nominees. I'd be surprised if it's another 1st party at the very least.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
yeah, sadly I don't think this is Phoenix time to rise (yet at least). This is asking to be proven wrong later on, but I'd think this could be like Jokers reveal and be related to the nominees from this/last years nominees. I'd be surprised if it's another 1st party at the very least.
I don't think it has to be a game that has been nominated today.

I mean, I doubt Nintendo chose the characters and the order they would be released knowing which games would be nominated today

Also, while I'm not betting on Phoenix, I wouldn't discard him so easily, I do think he's a TGA "worthy" reveal. A lot of people would recognize him.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think it has to be a game that has been nominated today.

I mean, I doubt Nintendo chose the characters and the order they would be released knowing which games would be nominated today

Also, while I'm not betting on Phoenix, I wouldn't discard him so easily, I do think he's a TGA "worthy" reveal. A lot of people would recognize him.
it's not so much that I don't think Phoenix is "worthy" as much as the current state of the franchise makes me feel they wouldn't focus on him in such a big western event for the medium regarding more current releases. Maybe if AA7 was announced in it I could see it (which if the Capcom leaks are anything to go by I doubt), but I don't think that's the case. I don't want to sound like I'm a believe of the silly "too irrelevant" argument, but under the context of the VGAs, I'd think they might aim for something that might be considered more recent. But again, I'm asking to be proven wrong with whoever is announced by the end of the day by writing these posts lol.

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Good thing it wasn't a different Capcom rep.

Monster Hunter might have just gotten a big boost in likelihood, though.
Sephiroth is definitely bringing along a Spirit Board of Final Fantasy characters, a big boost to the measly 2 fighter spirits that it currently has. Likewise, the only Monster Hunter spirit in the game right now is Rathalos. Monster Hunter could easily boost the spirit count. There's also the already established unused voice clips that hint at a character having 2 voice actors, which a male and female Hunter could fill up.

Dante may have also gotten a bit more likely.
Sephiroth once again proves that strong Nintendo association isn't required.
However, an argument that could be made is that Sephiroth having white hair and being a swordfighter is too similar to Dante.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Sephiroth is definitely bringing along a Spirit Board of Final Fantasy characters, a big boost to the measly 2 fighter spirits that it currently has. Likewise, the only Monster Hunter spirit in the game right now is Rathalos. Monster Hunter could easily boost the spirit count. There's also the already established unused voice clips that hint at a character having 2 voice actors, which a male and female Hunter could fill up.

Dante may have also gotten a bit more likely.
Sephiroth once again proves that strong Nintendo association isn't required.
A weak argument that could be used against Dante, however, is that Sephiroth having white hair and being a swordfighter is too similar to Dante.
Hm interesting. I can see your logic with Dante but not sure about MH. I don't think their only goal with the DLC is to add more spirits to a series. Time will tell though

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Hm interesting. I can see your logic with Dante but not sure about MH. I don't think their only goal with the DLC is to add more spirits to a series. Time will tell though
Looking back at it now, my point with Monster Hunter was just thought up on a whim. Seeing as how it would probably be much easier to negotiate spirits from Monster Hunter instead of Final Fantasy VII, I agree that it's a weak point. However, the possibility of a current series in Smash receiving content via a DLC character still helps out Monster Hunter's chances.

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
GnG was in the leaked game list, right?
It doesn't look like it was included in the leaked roadmap that included things like the Power Stone remake.

Edit: Nah I was wrong, it was leaked but it had RE in the title so people thought it was on the Resident Evil engine.

Last edited:

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone seen the rumours of Fighters Pass 2 being filled with characters that couldn't be in the base game?

Apparently Square wanted Sephiroth to be in Smash 4 with Cloud. Since this didn't happen, they didn't let the Smash team put more than 2 tracks in. This carried over to Ultimate, where Square also didn't let them have any spirits. Sephiroth being added is a way to remedy this.

This rumour is also backed up by Min Min and Steve being DLC. ARMS was released too late to be in the base game and Steve was under negotiation for 5 years.

Because of this, Rex, Ryu Hayabusa, and Monster Hunter may be likely. Rex was also too late (though he may end up staying a Mii costume), Ryu Hayabusa is backed up by Vergeben (who honestly has a pretty good track record so far) and Monster Hunter has content in Smash, but not a playable character, which may seem odd. You could argue about how someone supposedly said that the monsters represent the series more than the hunters years ago, but that has seemingly been disproven by Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

There's also the much less likely rumour that companies from Fighters Pass 1 are getting another character in for Fighters Pass 2, which completely excludes Capcom.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Looks like we'll have to look for any Capcom characters being costumed on the 17th. Hopefully we'll dodge another bullet (or at least get a cool remix should the worst happen).
Basically, we gotta hope Monster Hunter doesn't show up. But we already dodge that bullet since Sephiroth will more than likely come with Geno and Chobobo.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Has anyone seen the rumours of Fighters Pass 2 being filled with characters that couldn't be in the base game?

Apparently Square wanted Sephiroth to be in Smash 4 with Cloud. Since this didn't happen, they didn't let the Smash team put more than 2 tracks in. This carried over to Ultimate, where Square also didn't let them have any spirits. Sephiroth being added is a way to remedy this.

This rumour is also backed up by Min Min and Steve being DLC. ARMS was released too late to be in the base game and Steve was under negotiation for 5 years.

Because of this, Rex, Ryu Hayabusa, and Monster Hunter may be likely. Rex was also too late (though he may end up staying a Mii costume), Ryu Hayabusa is backed up by Vergeben (who honestly has a pretty good track record so far) and Monster Hunter has content in Smash, but not a playable character, which may seem odd. You could argue about how someone supposedly said that the monsters represent the series more than the hunters years ago, but that has seemingly been disproven by Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

There's also the much less likely rumour that companies from Fighters Pass 1 are getting another character in for Fighters Pass 2, which completely excludes Capcom.
that's an interesting theory, but not one I necessarily believe yet. But man, as someone who wanted to see either Phoenix, Dante or Amaterasu from Capcom, I'll be royally disappointed if they get another rep from one of their series I simply don't care about. I got lucky overall with my desired characters for Ultimate, but it'd be nice to see one of JP biggest 3rd parties get someone I actually care about for a change, lol.
The second I don't believe however, since I really doubt SNK would get anyone after the sort of content Terry got, that felt like a pretty big all in one package for the company.
Basically, we gotta hope Monster Hunter doesn't show up. But we already dodge that bullet since Sephiroth will more than likely come with Geno and Chobobo.
you mean a monster hunter outfit doesn't show up? I don't think Capcom costumes appearing should matter as the pattern on the relation between the newcomers and the mii outfits has been proven to not necessarily matter since I think Banjo's release? Especially as the Rathalos armor has been entirely missing so far. As long as it's not Phoenix himself I think we're ok.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I disagree actually. I do agree thay Dante got a boost but Sephiroth's play style seems to make Monster Hunter less likely. I kind of imagined Monster Hunter as being close to Ike, and Sephiroth seems to fill that same role. Granted, there are a lot of other ways that a Hunter could be incorporated into Smash.
In fact I'd also argue Nick got a boost. They are really doubling down on the surprise factor this time around and while he isn't exactly unexpected. I don't think the Smash team could have really expected him to be talked about as much as he is. He fits the bill of a really recognisable character who logically no one would see coming.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
In fact I'd also argue Nick got a boost. They are really doubling down on the surprise factor this time around and while he isn't exactly unexpected. I don't think the Smash team could have really expected him to be talked about as much as he is. He fits the bill of a really recognisable character who logically no one would see coming.
I actually agree that Nick has this going for him. Nintendo has managed to surprise the entire smash speculation community multiple times now. The general consensus predictions have been off for almost every character pass. Even with someone as big as Steve, many counted him out after Banjo was revealed as a Microsoft rep. For a square rep, I saw pretty much no one predict Sephiroth. It appears like the general consensus predictions for a Capcom rep are either Dante or Monster Hunter. I could see either of those two happening and it may just be personal bias speaking but knowing how wrong the "most likely" character rep predictions have gone so far, Nintendo could throw another curve ball and actually pick Phoenix if there is a Capcom rep.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
speak for yourself
I mean as a whole. There are obviously exceptions with everyone predicting but there is usually a few characters that the majority deems as most likely for each character pass based on the evidence. Like the fact many thought Byleth was going to be Dante based on the evidence which was not the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom