• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean as a whole. There are obviously exceptions with everyone predicting but there is usually a few characters that the majority deems as most likely for each character pass based on the evidence. Like the fact many thought Byleth was going to be Dante based on the evidence which was not the case.
we do get predictions wrong a lot

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
So we all know about how ESRB's recent policy changes have resulted in the logos for the Mii costumes of Assassin's Creed, Fallout, and No More Heroes being swapped out for the names of the costumes, right?

Is there any chance this could affect the Ace Attorney logo because of Dual Destinies getting rated M? Or would it only be changed if they directly address Dual Destinies?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So we all know about how ESRB's recent policy changes have resulted in the logos for the Mii costumes of Assassin's Creed, Fallout, and No More Heroes being swapped out for the names of the costumes, right?

Is there any chance this could affect the Ace Attorney logo because of Dual Destinies getting rated M? Or would it only be changed if they directly address Dual Destinies?
I doubt that'd happen unless a Dual Destinies character like Athena got a costume. And even then she's reoccurring so they may just use the generic Ace Attorney logo.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
So I'm starting to think Phoenix's best chance at getting in pass 2 is the next fighter, CP 9. CP 9 will probably be revealed in March if we go off of that amiibo theory. There are no huge events at the time so it's possible that a lesser known character compared to Steve (people speculate he was supposed to be an E3 reveal) and Sephiroth is revealed, like Nick. This is all purely speculation but CP 10 will probably fall around the time of E3 and even if E3 doesn't happen next year, they most likely planned that character to be a big reveal far in advance. While Phoenix has been heavily requested, he doesn't seem like the type to be the huge E3 reveal. The next fighter is CP 11 which is the end of the pass. It's possible but I don't really see Phoenix ending the entire pass either. Then again they ended pass 1 with Byleth so CP 11 could be a wild card.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I'm starting to think Phoenix's best chance at getting in pass 2 is the next fighter, CP 9. CP 9 will probably be revealed in March if we go off of that amiibo theory. There are no huge events at the time so it's possible that a lesser known character compared to Steve (people speculate he was supposed to be an E3 reveal) and Sephiroth is revealed, like Nick. This is all purely speculation but CP 10 will probably fall around the time of E3 and even if E3 doesn't happen next year, they most likely planned that character to be a big reveal far in advance. While Phoenix has been heavily requested, he doesn't seem like the type to be the huge E3 reveal. The next fighter is CP 11 which is the end of the pass. It's possible but I don't really see Phoenix ending the entire pass either. Then again they ended pass 1 with Byleth so CP 11 could be a wild card.
I could see Nick revealed at any point honestly, it depends on who the other characters are. He'd fit as CP11 because of his games being kinda niche, but I could totally see him at E3 too. Everyone would go wild if they heard "Objection!" during E3. It's a good thing for us that he's that versatile.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
really? wow that is bizarre

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I've seen concepts where Phoenix like announces a new pass along with himself. Like Sakurai laments how there's only few characters left and then

OBJECTION!
not gonna lie, that'd be a pretty amazing way to reveal Phoenix, but I also wouldn't be surprised that if we were to get another FP they'd still leave us in the dark on any of the newcomers for a few months.
After Byleth, I don't think we can count on Nintendo necessarily caring to end things with a bang, moreso if DLC doesn't stop after this (I don't count on that being the case but hey). Also, for all we know, we could go through a drought of news until E3 and get either just FP9 or both it and 10 revealed around that time. FP2 said it could all the way until late 2021 iirc, so they'd be on time to finish by that deadline still.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I could see Nick revealed at any point honestly, it depends on who the other characters are. He'd fit as CP11 because of his games being kinda niche, but I could totally see him at E3 too. Everyone would go wild if they heard "Objection!" during E3. It's a good thing for us that he's that versatile.
Didn't think about it but yeah you're right. I feel Phoenix could be announced anytime. He's good for almost any scenario.

I think he has that "advantage" over other Capcom frontrunners. The best opportunity for Monster Hunter, if we talk about timing, would be CP9. And I personally think that Dante would be CP10 if he's in, assuming CP10 is announced around E3 season. But with Nick I feel like he could be either CP9, CP10 or CP11 lol

Of course this doesn't mean MH or Dante couldn't be CP11, for example. They could surprise us with a big name to close Volume 2. But if we use the first Fighter Pass as a reference, I wouldn't really expect MH/Dante as CP11.

Last edited:

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I wonder what a Phoenix Wright reveal trailer would be like.
More specifically, which Smash Bros character will be the defendant Wright comes to the surprise rescue of, and who will be the witness/culprit?
After all, we have racked up a lot of character deaths/brutalisations over the course of Ultimate's reveal trailers, and someone's gotta be held accountable.

Also, I just want to say that I've only recently finished playing all the translated Ace Attorney games + Investigations 2.
What with all these Capcom leaks going around, my Ace Attorney depressive phase must have been shorter than most others'.
Things are getting pretty exciting for the series, regardless of whether Wright makes it into smash or not.
That being said, I'm also getting a lot more hopeful for his smash inclusion. Even if fan support isn't as big of a factor for a character's inclusion as it used to be, it was pretty nice seeing Phoenix Wright trend on the twitter before the VGA. Things are definitely looking up.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I wonder what a Phoenix Wright reveal trailer would be like.
More specifically, which Smash Bros character will be the defendant Wright comes to the surprise rescue of, and who will be the witness/culprit?
After all, we have racked up a lot of character deaths/brutalisations over the course of Ultimate's reveal trailers, and someone's gotta be held accountable.

Also, I just want to say that I've only recently finished playing all the translated Ace Attorney games + Investigations 2.
What with all these Capcom leaks going around, my Ace Attorney depressive phase must have been shorter than most others'.
Things are getting pretty exciting for the series, regardless of whether Wright makes it into smash or not.
That being said, I'm also getting a lot more hopeful for his smash inclusion. Even if fan support isn't as big of a factor for a character's inclusion as it used to be, it was pretty nice seeing Phoenix Wright trend on the twitter before the VGA. Things are definitely looking up.

Super Mario Sunshine's trial would make for a fantastic setup, and Phoenix could come in right when Peach would normally shout "OBJECTION!" herself!

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet
Even if fan support isn't as big of a factor for a character's inclusion as it used to be, it was pretty nice seeing Phoenix Wright trend on the twitter before the VGA. Things are definitely looking up.
that's not even the first time I am pretty sure I remember him trending 3 other times in reference to Smash he is definitely a very popular pick by this point

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
About the Smash 4 Ballot...
It's clear that it has had some impact on the Ultimate roster because of picks like Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo.
I was really young when it happened, but I think I remember Phoenix being thrown around as a popular Capcom choice. No idea on what the consensus for other Capcom reps were, though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it only happens in the showcases in North America. These are probably due to the M rating of the games that have their logos changed. For example, here's the replacement for the No More Heroes logo:

it does seem to be only for NA, we got the actual game logos over here. somehow it being because of the rating board makes it weirder

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like overall Phoenix Wright came out of this reveal fairly well.

We've already gotten three characters for this pass most people didn't see coming. Obviously that's more like saying "well, anything could happen!" but at least I think it's a sign not to get too caught up in what the community thinks about likeliness. (or better yet maybe, don't get caught up in it at all)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I pressed the quote button instead of reply. Someone mentioned PW games aside from the Trilogy coming to Switch. I haven't seen anything official on that though.
There's been a big Capcom leak and some Ace Attorney games were on it, the Great Ace Attorney Duology and Ace Attorney 7 are confirmed and a 4-6 collection is in consideration. But none of those are out yet.

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
There's been a big Capcom leak and some Ace Attorney games were on it, the Great Ace Attorney Duology and Ace Attorney 7 are confirmed and a 4-6 collection is in consideration. But none of those are out yet.
Speaking of such,are the fan translations of those any good? I've been considering playing them with the second Edgeworth game.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Ace Attorney 7 was confirmed? Really?

I thought the leak had only revealed the existence of the Ace Attorney collection and Great Ace Attorney pack.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
They're getting translated next year, so I'd hold off on that.
Though I have heard they're quite good.
I've played the english translations of both Investigations 2 and the first Great Ace Attorney game. Personally I thought they were very good, I didn't notice a difference in tone or writing between them and the official games honestly.

I think knowing that the second great ace attorney game is part of the package will make me hold off on playing the translation. (even though I think it's fairly well along at this point) I feel like it's important to show Capcom it pays to translate their games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Speaking of such,are the fan translations of those any good? I've been considering playing them with the second Edgeworth game.
Only the first one has a fan translation, and it's quite good. They were doing one for the second game but I don't know if they'll move forward given the upcoming localizations.

And yeah, I agree that you should hold out and buy the official releases. We need to speak with our wallets, a lot is hinging on the success of the duology (physical releases, 4-6 collection, a possible localization for AAI2, etc)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I hear that an Ace Attorney 7 is currently in development. Is that true?

Wish they'd also port the other six games onto the Switch...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So I hear that an Ace Attorney 7 is currently in development. Is that true?

Wish they'd also port the other six games onto the Switch...
According to the Capcom leaks, yes. The first trilogy has been on Switch for ages. They're also localizing two spinoff games, and if those do well it looks like they're planning on porting the second trilogy as well.

Top Bottom