• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think the best final smash is Thought Route that leads into the Triple Objection from Dual Destinies.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of something along the lines of his level 3 from UMvC3 where he's completely nailing his opponent to the wall while they freak out, referencing the courtroom breakdowns from this series.

My idea was a cinematic FS where the opponent is taken to the witness stand with Phoenix doing his spiel about how they committed the crime, taking damage as evidence is shown and visibly panicking. Then it ends with Phoenix and Mia's ghost dramatically pointing and shouting "TAKE THAT!" together, the opponent then crumpling behind the stand and subsequently exploding when it's all over.

Mia could be substituted with other characters like Apollo and Edgeworth at random.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I love Phoenix, I really do, but I feel conflicted about how much I want to see him playable after his UMvsC3 incarnation where I honestly hated his moveset despite how cool the idea of a investigation and court modes was. Is that how most envision he'd play in Smash? Or has there been some concepts that don't rely too much on how Phoenix played there?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I was thinking of something along the lines of his level 3 from UMvC3 where he's completely nailing his opponent to the wall while they freak out, referencing the courtroom breakdowns from this series.

My idea was a cinematic FS where the opponent is taken to the witness stand with Phoenix doing his spiel about how they committed the crime, taking damage as evidence is shown and visibly panicking. Then it ends with Phoenix and Mia's ghost dramatically pointing and shouting "TAKE THAT!" together, the opponent then crumpling behind the stand and subsequently exploding when it's all over.

Mia could be substituted with other characters like Apollo and Edgeworth at random.
This is how I imagine his final smash playing out too. Would be so worth it just to see characters like Pikachu breaking down on a witness stand.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is how I imagine his final smash playing out too. Would be so worth it just to see characters like Pikachu breaking down on a witness stand.
I wouldn't get my hopes up for any special animation. They'll probably just land on the witness stand and look dazed, like most other final smashes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I love Phoenix, I really do, but I feel conflicted about how much I want to see him playable after his UMvsC3 incarnation where I honestly hated his moveset despite how cool the idea of a investigation and court modes was. Is that how most envision he'd play in Smash? Or has there been some concepts that don't rely too much on how Phoenix played there?
I don't think the different stages part would come into play. At most having Maya and collecting evidence as mechanics.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Terry looks super cool and I hope to main him until Wright gets here and oh! Realized just recently, wasn't there stuff in the data next to Joker about a ponytail? I guess it was Terry! That makes me worry about Jill less, but with Dante back in the running and the potential timing of Phoenix being #4 along with a new announcement whether it be 7 or 4-6 on the switch kinda, uh, over, I'm a bit demoralized for now. I feel pretty sure that Geno is #5, and Phoenix still has a shot sure, but oof...

Maybe the results of that poll will give me more hope! I voted Phoenix for most wanted and Geno for most likely, I guess we'll see how Phoenix measures up to others at this point...?

It's weird too, and I don't wanna be presumptuous or biased or whatever, and I think Terry's a cool choice, I'm looking forward to him, but wouldn't it be fair to assume that more people voted for and would recognize Phoenix...? I just dunno!

And ayy maybe we can quit workin with Marvel and do another Capcom vs SNK and have Wright show up there? And they could bring back the London Stage theme ayy <3

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Considering Squenix already got a character in this pass, chances of another Square rep getting in is really low. At least until the next pass. Even then, I'd rather have other well-known Square reps over Geno. Like Crono.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
And ayy maybe we can quit workin with Marvel and do another Capcom vs SNK and have Wright show up there? And they could bring back the London Stage theme ayy <3
Real talk, I wish we could have another shot at a simple Capcom vs Capcom at some point, not being a comics junkie I hardly care for the Marvel side whenever those game drops.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Terry looks super cool and I hope to main him until Wright gets here and oh! Realized just recently, wasn't there stuff in the data next to Joker about a ponytail? I guess it was Terry! That makes me worry about Jill less, but with Dante back in the running and the potential timing of Phoenix being #4 along with a new announcement whether it be 7 or 4-6 on the switch kinda, uh, over, I'm a bit demoralized for now. I feel pretty sure that Geno is #5, and Phoenix still has a shot sure, but oof...

Maybe the results of that poll will give me more hope! I voted Phoenix for most wanted and Geno for most likely, I guess we'll see how Phoenix measures up to others at this point...?
Yah, I think 4 was the most likely for this pass, everything was looking to line up perfectly, reveal in september that has TGS (with a potential AA7 reveal) just around the corner. Crazy how all of that changed in about 2 weeks. I didn't know who to vote on in the poll, I actually feel like I don't have an inkling on who #5 can be (I am not convinced Geno is that likely yet). So at least that is kind of exciting.

not being a comics junkie I hardly care for the Marvel side whenever those game drops.
The only ones I did care about was the X-men and they cut those from infinite and Gambit has been gone since 2.

How likely would it be to get a surprise announcement of a Capcom vs. game at TGS? Might be the best we can hope for at this point.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
How often does Capcom do surprise announcements during their openings at TGS? Maybe AA doesn’t have a panel because all we’re getting is a 4-6 collection which doesn’t need that much time allotted to it.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Has a potential reveal trailer ever been discussed? I was thinking it'd involve a usual start of a case in the Wright & Co offices before Maya bursts inside nagging Phoenix they got their biggest case yet and won't stop pestering him until he accepts to take it (much to his dismay) before she hands him some evidence he'll need to bring to the scene (the invitation letter of course), cue in the gameplay showcase. The initial segment could be in either the og trilogy sprites or DD engine, just something familiar to the games for the sake of keeping some surprise when the envelope is shown on screen (there wouldn't be any of the Smash logo at first similar to Jokers reveal, I forget if Isabelle was the same).

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A potential reveal trailer would probably either be animated or spritework, but something wild like the Super Mario Sunshine court scene suddenly being interrupted in a ridiculous fakeout would be great.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

That'd be good, but a little too similar. Sakurai makes it a point to have characters differ in their moveset in some way, to not be 1:1 to their appearances in other fighting games. Take :ultmegaman:, who shares almost nothing with his MvC incarnation, and even :ultryu: has some moves from later games in the Street Fighter series.

A potential reveal trailer would probably either be animated or spritework, but something wild like the Super Mario Sunshine court scene suddenly being interrupted in a ridiculous fakeout would be great.
That'd be sweet, seeing how people expect a Sunshine HD port after the infamous Japanese MyNintendo wallpaper illustration incident. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Has a potential reveal trailer ever being discussed? I was thinking it'd involve a usual start of a case in the Wright & Co offices before Maya bursts inside nagging Phoenix they got their biggest case yet and won't stop pestering him until he accepts to take it (much to his dismay) before she hands him some evidence he'll need to bring to the scene (the invitation letter of course), cue in the gameplay showcase. The initial segment could be in either the og trilogy sprites or DD engine, just something familiar to the games for the sake of keeping some surprise when the envelope is shown on screen (there wouldn't be any of the Smash logo at first similar to Jokers reveal, I forget if Isabelle was the same).
It has been discussed, but ha, I love Smash being treated as a case! I think the trailer has to start in the courtroom though, because while people may recognize Wright, they'll definitely recognize him if he's in court objecting! Just a quick scene where he provides some definitive evidence and the prosecutor is like "Curse you!", like the prologue for Spirit of Justice when Phoenix, Athena, and Blackquill are in court before heading out!

So! Start in court just to get everyone on the same page, then go to the office with Phoenix saying something like "Phew, that case took a lot out of me, I could use a break for a while..." ... "NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!" Maya bursting in clutching the envelope, we gatta take this case, huuuuge case, not for rookie attorneys, only for THE Ace Attorney, cmon cmon, and Phoenix is like "Woah, wait a second, what's going on?" and Maya reads the letter "Mr. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney, and Mystic Maya Fey, you are cordially invited to SMASH" and now Phoenix gets scared "TH-That's not even a case!! THEY WANT US???" and Maya is now already dragging him out the door "Hurry, let's not keep em waiting!" and it ends with Phoenix being like "Wait wait wait wait! Hold it! I'm not ready!!!" Splash Screen starts Phoenix Wright- and before it has a tagline Phoenix goes over it with "OBJECTION!"

And then gameplay can start with some shots of Phoenix dashing away from Kirby trying to inhale him, Ganon showing off his sword in his down taunt, while voiceover has Phoenix be like "I'm not a fighter, why am I here??" and Maya being like "C'mon Nick, your the Ace Attorney, put up a legendary defense!" "...I just do...what I do in court?" "Yeah!" some shots of Phoenix counterattacking, dodging at the right times and making moves, and then it's time to go in and Maya's like "The best defense is a good offense!" and now Phoenix is jumping in, grabbing with the magatama, but as Phoenix looks like he's ganna be hit a move is done where Maya helps out "Watch out!" and Phoenix is like "You're getting in on this action too??" "Duh! You're not the only one who gets to party!" "Party??" Phoenix says as shots of Rathalos, Dracula, and other bosses intimidate him! But Phoenix gets more confident as he defends himself against Ridley, Cloud saying "I guess we really can hold our own here, Maya!" "Yeah! Show em how you do it in court!" and then final smash (I have my own concept I love) and then it ends with Phoenix taunting - presenting his badge and winking while Maya raises a fist in a jump as Phoenix and Maya confidently end it all with a "Take That!"

Aw, I ended up writing way more than I thought again... But I didn't have this clear of an idea of how I wanted the trailer to go before! Nice arc, Phoenix starts relaxed, then scared, then confident while showing gameplay of how his court strategies translate to Ace fighting moves in Smash! Oh, I didn't think of a part where they introduce the stage though...I guess they could just not mention it and do it during some shots, especially the final smash. Or they could show off the stage and be like "Wait we're fighting here?? That can't be legal!" something like that? But yeah!

I dunno about yall, but I always thought the best splash screen for Phoenix would be: Phoenix Wright - and then just OBJECTION as Phoenix worries about fighting! Or maybe even the game makes fun of him with "Phoenix Wright Can't Fight!" and then Phoenix looks at the tagline and Objects over THAT, ORRR I like simply Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, but that's probably just a better boxing ring title? What are some splash screen ideas, I've seen "takes the case" but I dunno!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Alright, I think I came up with an idea for a good chunk of Phoenixs attacks after a bit of research. Based entirely on the original trilogy as I feel that's where Phoenix was the undiscussed protagonist, spoilers inbound.
Jab: Hold It! Take That!
2 hit jab attack, similar in idea to objection, but not as powerful or big in size
S-Tilt: Cold Killer X
Based on 3-1, Phoenix unleashed a big sneeze similar to his UMvsC3 launcher
D-Tilt: Metal Detector
Based on 1-4, Phoenix takes away one of Gumshoe secret weapons, has a decent ground hitbox and can hit up to 3-5 times, not awfully strong
U-Tilt: Blue Badger
Based on 1-5, Phoenix summons the lovely put together blue badger in front of him and it hits anyone above him by flailing his arms
Dash Attack: Ami Urn
Based on 2-2, very similar to Villager dash attack, Phoenix drops the Ami Urn like a projectile and breaks it, much to the Fey clans dismay
N-Air: Idea/Shocking Realization:
Based on Phoenix shock expression in court, think of it kinda like Mewtwos N-Air, but it's a stronger single hit attack instead
F-Air: Bridge to the Turnabout
Based on the 3-5, Phoenix is tied by a rope and slightly moves forward
B-Air: Transceiver
Based on 2-4, Phoenix throws the device to his back and it makes a small shockwave while it beeps
U-Air: Polly
Polly flies above Phoenix head and spins for about a second while squeaking "I'm polly", hitting anyone above (I just wanted to referennce this fellow)
D-Air: Stepladder
Phoenix hits below him with a small stepladder, in reference to the ongoing gag from the series
Up Smash: Gourdy?
Based on 1-4, Phoenix launches a compressed air tube with a silver samurai inflatable tied to it
Side Smash: Thinker Statue
Based on 1-1, Phoenix hits the enemy with the thinker statue made by his good friend Larry like the very first case he took
Down Smash: Missile
The trusty K-9 companion spins around Phoenix, similar to Sonic's old D-Smash in Brawl
Neutral B: Objection
Self explanatory, Phoenix points his finger forward and yells the iconic phrase
Side B: Silver Samurai
Based on 1-3, Similar in concept to Zeldas down B, Phoenix summons upon the og samurai hero to slash whoever stands in front of him with the samurai spear
Up B: The Great Max Galactica
Based on 2-3, best idea I could come up for an Up-B and I'm sure everyone will love seeing their favorite case referenced, Phoenix rides onto the flying Max Galactica bust to gain some height, bust falls after a few seconds and deals moderate knockback
Down B: Magatama
Phoenix holds onto the magatama and paralyzes enemies in reach for a brief period, visualized with a psyche locke on them
Final Smash: Nightmare Judge/Guilty Veredict
Based on 2-1/2-4, the gigantic Judge from Phoenix nightmare smashes the opponents that got hit by Phoenix with his giant mallet. Alternatively, a breakdown-esque scenario similar to UMvsC3 might be more iconic to the general series
I imagine his taunts would include something among the likes of Maya throwing confetti (very much like his victory animation in UMvsC3), doing his usual thinking pose and his sweating animation.
I admit I stretched a whole lot for his aerials and I can't even think about his grabs, but theorizing this made me more optimistic on how fun Phoenix portrayal could be if he gets in.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
While that's an interesting moveset, I think there is too much going on visually. I believe Nick's moveset should reflect him as a character rather than pulling everything from every corner of the games.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
For a Final Smash, something mimicking the infamous breakdowns of the series would be a must, it obviously can't be personalized for every fighter but using animations similar to Dedede's Final Smash where the victim is pinned to the cage fence for being "shocked" or damaged at the witness's stand would be perfect. For something more specific, I feel like the Super Objection from T&T, the climax of the game and arguably the original trilogy, is such a powerful and character-establishing moment for Phoenix, it feels too perfect.

What are some splash screen ideas, I've seen "takes the case" but I dunno!
Phoenix Wright
finds the truth!

Phoenix Wright
serves justice for all!

Something like that, that's the best I could come up with. On a similar topic, a Boxing Ring title I thought up would be Knows How To Make a Point or Surprisingly Sharp Pointer Finger, or something that pokes fun at the series' constant finger pointing, lol.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright
finds the truth!

Phoenix Wright
serves justice for all!

Something like that, that's the best I could come up with. On a similar topic, a Boxing Ring title I thought up would be Knows How To Make a Point or Surprisingly Sharp Pointer Finger, or something that pokes fun at the series' constant finger pointing, lol.
Why not something like "Phoenix readies his defense!"? Since he says "the defense is ready" at the start of every trial.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, I think I came up with an idea for a good chunk of Phoenixs attacks after a bit of research. Based entirely on the original trilogy as I feel that's where Phoenix was the undiscussed protagonist, spoilers inbound.
Jab: Hold It! Take That!
2 hit jab attack, similar in idea to objection, but not as powerful or big in size
S-Tilt: Cold Killer X
Based on 3-1, Phoenix unleashed a big sneeze similar to his UMvsC3 launcher
D-Tilt: Metal Detector
Based on 1-4, Phoenix takes away one of Gumshoe secret weapons, has a decent ground hitbox and can hit up to 3-5 times, not awfully strong
U-Tilt: Blue Badger
Based on 1-5, Phoenix summons the lovely put together blue badger in front of him and it hits anyone above him by flailing his arms
Dash Attack: Ami Urn
Based on 2-2, very similar to Villager dash attack, Phoenix drops the Ami Urn like a projectile and breaks it, much to the Fey clans dismay
N-Air: Idea/Shocking Realization:
Based on Phoenix shock expression in court, think of it kinda like Mewtwos N-Air, but it's a stronger single hit attack instead
F-Air: Bridge to the Turnabout
Based on the 3-5, Phoenix is tied by a rope and slightly moves forward
B-Air: Transceiver
Based on 2-4, Phoenix throws the device to his back and it makes a small shockwave while it beeps
U-Air: Polly
Polly flies above Phoenix head and spins for about a second while squeaking "I'm polly", hitting anyone above (I just wanted to referennce this fellow)
D-Air: Stepladder
Phoenix hits below him with a small stepladder, in reference to the ongoing gag from the series
Up Smash: Gourdy?
Based on 1-4, Phoenix launches a compressed air tube with a silver samurai inflatable tied to it
Side Smash: Thinker Statue
Based on 1-1, Phoenix hits the enemy with the thinker statue made by his good friend Larry like the very first case he took
Down Smash: Missile
The trusty K-9 companion spins around Phoenix, similar to Sonic's old D-Smash in Brawl
Neutral B: Objection
Self explanatory, Phoenix points his finger forward and yells the iconic phrase
Side B: Silver Samurai
Based on 1-3, Similar in concept to Zeldas down B, Phoenix summons upon the og samurai hero to slash whoever stands in front of him with the samurai spear
Up B: The Great Max Galactica
Based on 2-3, best idea I could come up for an Up-B and I'm sure everyone will love seeing their favorite case referenced, Phoenix rides onto the flying Max Galactica bust to gain some height, bust falls after a few seconds and deals moderate knockback
Down B: Magatama
Phoenix holds onto the magatama and paralyzes enemies in reach for a brief period, visualized with a psyche locke on them
Final Smash: Nightmare Judge/Guilty Veredict
Based on 2-1/2-4, the gigantic Judge from Phoenix nightmare smashes the opponents that got hit by Phoenix with his giant mallet. Alternatively, a breakdown-esque scenario similar to UMvsC3 might be more iconic to the general series
I imagine his taunts would include something among the likes of Maya throwing confetti (very much like his victory animation in UMvsC3), doing his usual thinking pose and his sweating animation.
I admit I stretched a whole lot for his aerials and I can't even think about his grabs, but theorizing this made me more optimistic on how fun Phoenix portrayal could be if he gets in.
Having the flying Max Galactica bust for an Up-B is brutal and genius. Hadn't heard that one before.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Random thought that passed through my mind - does getting a capcom character as #5 that isn't phoenix help the chances of phoenix for later dlc, or not? what do you all think?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Couldn't his up special be a ladder/step ladder that he climbs in midair before jumping off of? Maybe on the ground he could pick it up and do a wrestler style slam.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Random thought that passed through my mind - does getting a capcom character as #5 that isn't phoenix help the chances of phoenix for later dlc, or not? what do you all think?
Well, I think the competition for #5 wasn't as strong as for after the Fighter Pass. After the Fighter Pass we have Dante and Monster Hunter back in play, so that's more strong competition, which can't help.

We'd still have the 'most demand, most Nintendo' ace up our sleeve, but if that doesn't cut it then yeah it wouldn't be looking great.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Well, I think the competition for #5 wasn't as strong as for after the Fighter Pass. After the Fighter Pass we have Dante and Monster Hunter back in play, so that's more strong competition, which can't help.

We'd still have the 'most demand, most Nintendo' ace up our sleeve, but if that doesn't cut it then yeah it wouldn't be looking great.
I personally don't really see monster hunter as very likely, but yeah, dante is a real possibility, especially with that DMC2 port.
EDIT: That said, i do think the dlc after the fighter pass is a second fighter pass, and i think it's possible we get a third. which means we could see a capcom character get in, let's say a resident evil rep, as #5 in the fighter pass, then we see dante somewhere in the second pass, and then our only serious competition is a monster hunter rep for the third. i don't think we will be getting a capcom character in each fighter pass, assuming we even get three passes, but it's something i thought about.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I still don't see Monster Hunter as a possibility, pass 2 and beyond included. The MH team favour the monsters and are notoriously not a fan of including the hunters in anything. I think base roster boss fight + AT is the best it will get alongside the costume returning I feel.

If Phoenix isn't #5, then yes it gets harder. Dante has more visible Smash demand than Resident Evil, and they ported the games soon after suggesting "maybe if DMC comes to Switch?" in regards to his chances in Smash. He'll definitely be a front runner.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
On the subject of DLC after the Fighter’s Pass, I don’t think that it’ll be labeled as a second Fighter’s Pass. The fact they just said “more DLC” and didn’t label it as a pass makes me think as much. What these post-pass picks will entail, I’m not sure.

But speaking of the pass, remember that apparently the picks here were all Nintendo, rather than Sakurai. With Wright being as close as a third party series can be to a Nintendo property without actually being one, I think this helps strengthen his chances for slot #5.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see Monster Hunter as a possibility, pass 2 and beyond included. The MH team favour the monsters and are notoriously not a fan of including the hunters in anything. I think base roster boss fight + AT is the best it will get alongside the costume returning I feel.
Didn't they include the hunter in a fighting game recently as DLC?

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Didn't they include the hunter in a fighting game recently as DLC?
Yup, she was in MvC Infinite as DLC (despite being ready for base game...)

Two hunter Mii costumes were also DLC in Smash Wii U/3DS but are strangely absent despite MH already being in the base game.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
That's pretty interesting, I always saw MH current representation as something that could be interpreted as both good or bad for their chances getting a rep, but if the devs aren't big on the hunters well...it definitely makes them look less likely than before, even if it's just by a bit.
It's hard to guess how post fighters-pass characters will be handled before we see one or two of them announced, but with Capcom having so many iconic characters and franchises besides already lending a good chunk of them for Smash when spirits and taken into account, I wouldn't say getting more than one is impossible depending on how far the DLC goes.
While that's an interesting moveset, I think there is too much going on visually. I believe Nick's moveset should reflect him as a character rather than pulling everything from every corner of the games.
Eh, I dunno about that, after UMvsC3 had him shoot lasers out of evidence and PxZ2 had him summon flying samurais all over the place, I wouldn't be surprise to see him be a lot more over the top than he really is in physical abilities haha.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Please consider me a supporter for Nick.

I played all the Ace Attorney games except for Dai Gyakuten Saiban and the Layton crossover and I love the series as a whole (T&T and AAI2 are the best ones IMO). And Nick would have one of the most fun and ridiculous movesets ever, he was my main on-point character in UMVC3 so they can take some inspiration from there, like a sneeze to recover :joyful:

I was actually hoping he would be the 4th character in the Pass. Let's hope he's the 5th because after that... Dante, Monster Hunter or even Mega Man X and Zero would be possible competition.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Do you have any sources on that or are you just speculating?
They asked to be left out of Marvel 3. I believe Infinite was done primarily by Capcom behind their backs.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I was actually hoping he would be the 4th character in the Pass. Let's hope he's the 5th because after that... Dante, Monster Hunter or even Mega Man X and Zero would be possible competition.
I can understand Dante and MH (given what Wyoming says on the devs has changed or isn't as strict as it sounds), but I really don't see MM getting another rep (or any 3rd parties already repped in Smash outside of maybe adding more echo fighters). I'm personally more worried on the possibility of a RE rep being the the biggest hurdle for Phoenix, but it might be missing something as to why I don't see that mentioned much around here.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I can understand Dante and MH (given what Wyoming says on the devs has changed or isn't as strict as it sounds), but I really don't see MM getting another rep (or any 3rd parties already repped in Smash outside of maybe adding more echo fighters). I'm personally more worried on the possibility of a RE rep being the the biggest hurdle for Phoenix, but it might be missing something as to why I don't see that mentioned much around here.
You never know. Capcom has a big repertory of famous characters, probably enough to rival Nintendo. And after the fighter pass everything can count.
Resident Evil is the big competition now for the fighter pass, after that it gets worse. That's why I hope he becomes the 5th fighter in the pass.

Well, in all the character popularity polls I always see Phoenix on the top above all the other Capcom characters. He's pretty popular in the Smash fanbase. Even here I don't see much support for a Resident Evil character. It's pretty much speculation for how big the franchise is to Capcom. Which is why I hope they chose Nick instead of the Resident Evil character. If a Capcom character makes it (Because aside from the Enix side of Square Enix it has all been unrepresented companies)

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You never know. Capcom has a big repertory of famous characters, probably enough to rival Nintendo. And after the fighter pass everything can count.
Resident Evil is the big competition now for the fighter pass, after that it gets worse. That's why I hope he becomes the 5th fighter in the pass.

Well, in all the character popularity polls I always see Phoenix on the top above all the other Capcom characters. He's pretty popular in the Smash fanbase. Even here I don't see much support for a Resident Evil character. It's pretty much speculation for how big the franchise is to Capcom. Which is why I hope they chose Nick instead of the Resident Evil character. If a Capcom character makes it (Because aside from the Enix side of Square Enix it has all been unrepresented companies)
I think I miswrote what I meant lol, I meant 3rd party franchises with characters already in like Street Fighter, not general 3rd party companies like Capcom. I'm fairly optimistic we'll get another Capcom rep now that more DLC was announced (and I can't say I particularly feel this way about any other of the currently represented external devs), whether that's Phoenix or not, we'll see.
I take popularity polls with a grain of salt as they're highly variable between sites and regions, but I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix is at least in the top 5 of Capcom characters (given that we ignore any of the MM and SF reps those might involve).
Also worth noting that now that SEGA owns Atlus, you could make as much of a point they got another rep in Joker just like Square did with Hero, so there's that.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I wouldn't worry about Mega Man or Street Fighter. The former's biggest threats are becoming costumes again it seems like, and in Zero's case he is now an assist trophy AND a costume. I also doubt Sakurai would go for a second Mega Man regardless of costumes or not. The one we have represents the series fine.

Street Fighter does have Chun-Li with a good repertoire, but I think Sakurai would go towards another fighter like Tekken or Soul Calibur before triple dipping there. This isn't a Capcom Versus game. Variety is key.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Street Fighter does have Chun-Li with a good repertoire, but I think Sakurai would go towards another fighter like Tekken or Soul Calibur before triple dipping there. This isn't a Capcom Versus game. Variety is key.
Assuming Bamco are actually interested in letting any of their other characters in here. :ultpacman: Not even Tekken costumes have shown up yet. Just some cameos...

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I wouldn't worry about Mega Man or Street Fighter. The former's biggest threats are becoming costumes again it seems like, and in Zero's case he is now an assist trophy AND a costume. I also doubt Sakurai would go for a second Mega Man regardless of costumes or not. The one we have represents the series fine.
Same, it's just that the announcement of DLC beyond the fighters pass seems to have generated hope in some that all possible disconfirmations like AT, new/DLC Mii costumes or spirits don't matter anymore. I know that at the end of the day there's no official rules on what holds back someone from becoming a fighter (and even if there were, Sakurai has broken his words a fair share of times already), but I find that newfound logic over the news to be a little silly.
Assuming Bamco are actually interested in letting any of their other characters in here. :ultpacman: Not even Tekken costumes have shown up yet. Just some cameos...
I always thought Heihachi would be a lock for the next Bamco rep should that happen, but after hearing of his VA passing, I imagine they'd at least not make his new one debut in Smash over Tekken (I imagine they could just reuse old recordings but eh). I suppose the other Mishimas could happen, but as an outside of the series, they never struck me to be as iconic as their father, but that just might be my ignorance. Beyond that, I'm not sure if there's any other franchise they'd push for over Tekken from the repertoire. I imagine their missing costumes will drop randomly if Goemon and the MM costumes from the last direct are anything to go by should they get no new characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I always thought Heihachi would be a lock for the next Bamco rep should that happen, but after hearing of his VA passing, I imagine they'd at least not make his new one debut in Smash over Tekken (I imagine they could just reuse old recordings but eh). I suppose the other Mishimas could happen, but as an outside of the series, they never struck me to be as iconic as their father, but that just might be my ignorance. Beyond that, I'm not sure if there's any other franchise they'd push for over Tekken from the repertoire. I imagine their missing costumes will drop randomly if Goemon and the MM costumes from the last direct are anything to go by should they get no new characters.
It doesn't help that Tekken's gameplay has been stated to be difficult to translate into Smash, and Terry was more prioritised as the next pure fighter.

If a Tales characters doesn't get in either, I guess they could pull a hat trick by allowing one of their older properties as a retro rep or something particularly demanded by fans.

Top Bottom