• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
No Ace Attorney at TGS and Terry Bogard joining was a bit scary, but I feel much better knowing that character five of the fighters pass won't be the last. Let's go Phoenix Wright!!!

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
No AA news at all in the direct was disappointing, but SNES online made up for everything.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Hey, at least Sans* is in Smash!

An Undertale rep is my most wanted, with Wright a smidge beneath that, so the miracle almost happen for me! But more Smash DLC is coming after #5, so let's keep holding out, fellas.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Honestly that whole Direct was one wild ride...speaking as a fan of other things besides Ace Attorney. As a Smash fan, holy hell, this was our finest hour. Will be very excited to play as Banjo tonight. I will say that Sakurai needs a break though, with all that he has graced us with. With the unspecified amount of characters being added, I'm honestly tempted to say that THIS will be the game where all the "never evers" make their debut. I'm just gonna say it - I'm betting that Geno fans will get their day within the next year or so. All I need is just one more thing from you, Sakurai! Maybe two if you wanna add Quote...or Edgeworth...or Heavy, or Eggman, or whoever...it's hard not being greedy!

Ngl though, Toby Fox, man, what a guy. Composing for a Gamefreak game, went to Sakurai's house and beat his butt on several occasions in his own game that he spends hours working on everyday, and now, he has his legacy permanently embedded in one of the biggest video game crossovers, no, biggest MEDIA crossovers of all time. Not even an Undertale fan here, but dude, this man is everywhere and at such a young age.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey, at least Sans* is in Smash!

An Undertale rep is my most wanted, with Wright a smidge beneath that, so the miracle almost happen for me! But more Smash DLC is coming after #5, so let's keep holding out, fellas.
may i offer you some congratulations then?

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
You memers finally did it. You, quite literally, memed Sans into Smash. I'm not even too sure what else to say. Anything is possible.
Well, actually, one thing...
You're gonna have a good time

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have a sneaking suspicious that Dante is one of the non-pass fighters. I genuinely believe we're screwed.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
may i offer you some congratulations then?
Many thanks. I thought a playable Undertale rep was out of the question, but hearing that Toby was providing Game Freak's Town soundtrack, and then this, and then the costume and music reveal, whew, it was a trip. Heard more from the guy today than I thought I would today. If Wright gets in along with this, that's all I can ask for from Sakurai, the beautiful man he is.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What a beautiful day! More DLC means GREAT choices for Phoenix!

And as an UNDERTALE fan and a Terry fan I couldn't be happier!!!!

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I have a sneaking suspicious that Dante is one of the non-pass fighters. I genuinely believe we're screwed.
Yah, him being eligible now would make him one of our biggest competitors and would be the most likely choice to put in as the next Capcom rep. However, I still think this is more hope than we had when we were thinking Phoenix would be the final pick to close out the pass. So overall good news.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Well, i loved that direct thoroughly. i literally cried i was so happy twice, and would have cried a third time if i weren't telling one of my sisters about the third thing.

1. More fighters after the fighter pass. YESSSS! even if absolutely none of them are characters i care about, it'll add more variety and fun to a game i already love.
2. Xenoblade Definitive Edition. I friggin' love Xenoblade, so it was so awesome to see the fabled switch version is coming.
3. Sans mii costume made me double-take. i personally love undertale, and one of my sisters is a huge fan of it too, so it made us both very very happy. especially with the remix.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The Ryu 4chan leak is also deconfirmed, meaning we have no true leads for the fifth fighter! It could still be Phoenix after all, but we’ll just need to wait and see!

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
The Ryu 4chan leak is also deconfirmed, meaning we have no true leads for the fifth fighter! It could still be Phoenix after all, but we’ll just need to wait and see!
Even if hes not the last slot, they are gonna make more fighters! Really exciting stuff

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I think after today, we can safely say Phoenix is happening at some point.
Don't do that. Don't give me hope.
Don't do that. Don't give me... whatever the polar opposite of hope is? I feel "despair" is too strong an antonym in this context, before any Danganronpa nerds suggest that.

Anyway... Phoenix has... a shot! I guess. Sorta. Does he have more of a shot than before? Maybe! Do we know how strong that shot is? Not at all! I love it when my most wanted is in the dead middle of likelihood. It's a weird place to be!

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

Don't do that. Don't give me... whatever the polar opposite of hope is? I feel "despair" is too strong an antonym in this context, before any Danganronpa nerds suggest that.
Damn, beat me to the punch.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I rather doubt some ports of Devil May Cry are indicative of an increased chance for Dante to come to Smash, personally. If something like that was enough to crush my spirit, the never-ending influx of Resident Evil ports would have done me in long ago.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post: double post
Wasn't Dante deconfirmed by the creator anyway?
Yeah, although that was for this fighter pass. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping them from asking for him in the upcoming pass.

(We don't know if it's going to be a pass yet, but let's be real, it's almost certainly going to be).

Oh, by the way, guys...

Color theory has died: Terry's background color on the Smash website is basically the same orange-yellow as Banjo.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Oh, by the way, guys...

Color theory has died: Terry's background color on the Smash website is basically the same orange-yellow as Banjo.
Same thing with Mii Costume theory, I guess. Hero kinda killed it, but with all we got today, it's in its grave.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Red Theory: Every fighter in this fighter pass will feature the color red on them somewhere.
#1: Joker's Red Gloves
#2: DQ8 Hero has a red gem on his sword
#3: Kazooie
#4: Terry has quite a bit'o red on him
#5: Phoenix has a red tie.

Note - This was a joke, please don't think i'm serious.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This changes nothing for Phoenix but great chances + more slots = even better chances!

Man, if Fighter 5 is Phoenix... Holy ****

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
The big question is where are they even going to show #5? TGA's again?

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it... Releasing an animated trailer for Phoenix at the TGA's is quite literally the perfect book-end. The trailer could be him defending Joker, and he receives a letter from the prosecution.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh, by the way, guys...

Strange, it's not appearing that way for me... looks more like PP's. Plus in the trailer it showed a light blue background (in the part where they show the "Fighter Pass" section on the website).

Nevertheless, more DLC is great news for us and I still think the next one is between us and RE, so...

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
When someone mentions Dante I always think "Ugh, have you ever played DMC? He's kinda already here".
I don't know how to explain this but, to put it bluntly, Dante is a boring choice.
We already have a character that works exactly like Dante would (Arsene is literally a version of DT) and quite a few moves would be borrowed from other fighters, and no, implementing his other weapons is very un likely since they didn't do it for Bayo, speaking of Bayo she reminds me of Dante I don't really know why...
My point being, just because DMC is big doesn't mean it has to get a character, if Sakurai really wants to expand the game, Dante is not the best choice.

I not trying to sound toxic or anything just saying what I have in my head, I love RE and the remake was as good as I expected, I love DMC and I got the fifth main line entry this year, I love Monster Hunter and in a few hours I'll be playing Iceborne like crazy, I LOVE Mega Man and thanks to Smash MM is alive and doing incredibly well.
Even though I love them all, I do not want a character in Smash from any of those, why? Because all those franchises are doing incredibly well, so what's the merit of getting them into Smash? (yeah MM is already in, but remember how it was before Smash).

Is it that selfish to ask for the same thing for Ace Attorney?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm feeling a lot more confident about Phoenix now. If the datamine is correct than that would mean there's presumably (at least) ten more dlc characters coming...

From what I remember at least based on the ballot Phoenix could be considered the Capcom character with the most demand behind him. On top of that we know Shu Takumi is friends (or at least hangs out with) Sakurai.

Adding everything up it certainly looks promising.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I would say that while his chances have gone up overall, I think his chance of being FP 5 is basically zero at this point. Based on the the mii costumes released today, I don't think the last character is Capcom. It's probably between Koei Tecmo and Namco Bandai.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I would say that while his chances have gone up overall, I think his chance of being FP 5 is basically zero at this point. Based on the the mii costumes released today, I don't think the last character is Capcom. It's probably between Koei Tecmo and Namco Bandai.
Then again, a few more Mega-Man costumes and the Monster Hunter outfits are still missing. They could still be holding on to those for a potential Capcom rep.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
If Sans can make it into Smash, Phoenix can for sure too! I'm actually really happy for all Undertale-fans, never played this game, but I got really excited and just bought the game today on the eShop.The Megalovania-Remix in Smash is so good!

Just imagine Ace Attorney music in Smash, though - it has to happen at some point! I can't imagine any other kind of music fitting better to Smash than those awesome Pursuit-themes. So glad about the fact that more DLC-fighters are coming 2020. Maybe they are waiting with Phoenix until AA7 is ready, would make sense considering how heavily they promoted DQXI Elusive Age on the Nintendo Switch.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think things are looking pretty good for Nick right now, but in the event that another Capcom character like Jill or Dante get chosen, I really hope they give us a consolation prize of a Phoenix Mii costume packaged with “Pursuit: Cornered” as an extra song like they did with Sans and Megalovania.

Phoenix is a Nintendo icon, it would be an injustice if he wasn’t included in some shape or form.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think things are looking pretty good for Nick right now, but in the event that another Capcom character like Jill or Dante get chosen, I really hope they give us a consolation prize of a Phoenix Mii costume packaged with “Pursuit: Cornered” as an extra song like they did with Sans and Megalovania.

Phoenix is a Nintendo icon, it would be an injustice if he wasn’t included in some shape or form.
Agreed! I think more costumes like the Sans one with an additional song could really soften the blow. Is it ideal? Not really. But it's fun, and a good Mii costume can really work wonders.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Fellas

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I think we should go and support Phoenix Wright in this survey. Perhaps we can get him to a high with a bit of luck.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does anyone think a Megaman/Hero style final smash for Phoenix could be really cool?

By that I mean a group of Ace Attorney characters appear beside Phoenix (Maya, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Apollo, Athena, Franziska, Trucy, Pearl etc) and they all give the pointer finger and shout objection with Phoenix?

(I assume the models could be reused if they also appeared as cameos in the Courtroom stage)

They could make it look like this picture

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think a Megaman/Hero style final smash for Phoenix could be really cool?

By that I mean a group of Ace Attorney characters appear beside Phoenix (Maya, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Apollo, Athena, Franziska, Trucy, Pearl etc) and they all give the pointer finger and shout objection with Phoenix?

(I assume the models could be reused if they also appeared as cameos in the Courtroom stage)

They could make it look like this picture
I was thinking of something like that, but instead using all of the defense attorneys and prosecutors over the years. They could even throw in The Great Ace Attorney characters.

Top Bottom