• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Who's excited for a possible reveal of Ace Attorney Switch soon?

I heard a rumour that it might be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show.
Not directly confirmed, but the TGS is when new AA content is revealed nowadays. The comments of "this year will be a big year for Ace Attorney" will forever be in my mind and TGS is when it would logically all begin, followed by a new season of the anime in October which we already know. It's kind of annoying how Smash conveniently is within that AA promotional time. It is giving me needless hope that won't happen...

Ace Attorney in HD is gonna be wild. They could do so much gameplay-wise there.

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Wow. So I never thought I'd be thinking about this, but while I think Phoenix Wright as a playable character is very unlikely, I'm imagining how cool it would be to have him as an assist trophy. I would even say that with Bomberman getting in, there's a possibility of seeing Phoenix make it into Ultimate.

An Archie

Smash Cadet
I was wondering, the obvious choice for an Ace Attorney stage is the Courtroom....but if you couldn't pick that as the Ace Attorney stage (or Ace Attorney got two stages, not that that would happen but humor me here) what location in the Ace Attorney series would you make into a stage?

I feel like some candidates would be:

Wright & Co Law Offices
Kurain Village
Prosecutor's Office (for Edgeworths stage)

Though I think it would be kinda funny if a second Ace Attorney stage was "Neo Olde Tokyo" based on the Steel Samurai series.
I know it's still a courtroom, but Courtroom No. 4 from Dual Destinies (after it's blown up) could be an interesting stage.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I was wondering, the obvious choice for an Ace Attorney stage is the Courtroom....but if you couldn't pick that as the Ace Attorney stage (or Ace Attorney got two stages, not that that would happen but humor me here) what location in the Ace Attorney series would you make into a stage?

I feel like some candidates would be:

Wright & Co Law Offices
Kurain Village
Prosecutor's Office (for Edgeworths stage)

Though I think it would be kinda funny if a second Ace Attorney stage was "Neo Olde Tokyo" based on the Steel Samurai series.
Perhaps the detention center somehow, or even a moving stage where you go through different places in an investigation. Like you start at the crime scene, go to detention center, go to random place involved in the case, and the courtroom and then it's weirdly like you're actually playing a case.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's the most ridiculous thing ever, but I lowkey want this to happen. (probably even more for the sheer ridiculousness than even the characters themselves)

So it's the end of the Smash direct and the trailer revealing Banjo & Kazooie has just finished where it cuts back to Sakurai telling the audience that now Everyone is really here when suddenly someone shouts "HOLD IT!"

"Phoenix Wright raises an Objection!"

*some gameplay footage of Phoenix Wright fighting*

Phoenix then addresses Sakurai and tells him that there's more to this roster we're not seeing and that Sakurai needs to turn his thinking around. At which point it cuts back to Sakurai expressing doubt and claiming that Phoenix is just bluffing. At this point it cuts back to Phoenix who makes his confident pose (the arms on the waist one) and tells Sakurai he wouldn't have objected if he didn't have proof.

Then suddenly the screen splits into four squares and in quick succession...

"Chibi-Robo Plugs In!"
"Andy goes to War!"
"Saki brings the Punishment!"
"Ray enters the Arena!"

*gameplay footage showing all four new characters*

It's absolutely the kind of seat of your pants ridiculousness that Ace Attorney is known for. I also think the "turnabout" theme of the Ace Attorney games would fit really well with these characters. (They're not really seen as likely, they're underdogs through and through) You could interchange the characters somewhat (Dillon, Lip, Rhythm Heaven character etc) but the idea remains of them being more unexpected characters from new series.

Don't mind me, I'm just being crazy. :p

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
I want to voice my support for Phoenix Wright. He would be a hilarious character with a cinematic final smash that "corners" your opponent on the stand.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's the most ridiculous thing ever, but I lowkey want this to happen. (probably even more for the sheer ridiculousness than even the characters themselves)

So it's the end of the Smash direct and the trailer revealing Banjo & Kazooie has just finished where it cuts back to Sakurai telling the audience that now Everyone is really here when suddenly someone shouts "HOLD IT!"

Phoenix then addresses Sakurai and tells him that there's more to this roster we're not seeing and that Sakurai needs to turn his thinking around. At which point it cuts back to Sakurai expressing doubt and claiming that Phoenix is just bluffing. At this point it cuts back to Phoenix who makes his confident pose (the arms on the waist one) and tells Sakurai he wouldn't have objected if he didn't have proof.

"Chibi-Robo Plugs In!"
"Andy goes to War!"
"Ray enters the Arena!"

It's absolutely the kind of seat of your pants ridiculousness that Ace Attorney is known for. I also think the "turnabout" theme of the Ace Attorney games would fit really well with these characters. (They're not really seen as likely, they're underdogs through and through) You could interchange the characters somewhat (Dillon, Lip, Rhythm Heaven character etc) but the idea remains of them being more unexpected characters from new series.

Damn; wouldn't that be something? I'd just change Ray to Lip. Scary thing is; This sounds like somthing he would do.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

"Chibi-Robo Plugs In!"
"Andy goes to War!"
"Ray enters the Arena!"

YES. The idea of Sakurai bantering with Phoenix Wright is surreal, crazy and awesome. I’d love for this to be an announcement for DLC.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There are so many ways they could reveal Phoenix and they'd all be amazing.

I do love the idea of him shouting Objection a few moments after Sakurai thanks us for watching. It would confuse people not in the know whilst hyping us Ace Attorney fans before any footage is even shown.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
If Phoenix Wright gets revealed in the Direct tomorrow, I'm going to freak out so much. An echo fighter in either Edgeworth or Apollo would be cool with me too. I know his chances are relatively low compared to other choices, but I would be over the moon.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
If Phoenix Wright gets revealed in the Direct tomorrow, I'm going to freak out so much. An echo fighter in either Edgeworth or Apollo would be cool with me too. I know his chances are relatively low compared to other choices, but I would be over the moon.
I bet us from the future are saying wow (CAN'T SAY THAT IN A GOOD OR BAD LIGHT)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Calling it now, it's going to be 40 minutes of merchandise I'll never buy, plus another port

The Tokyo Game Show is always where AA news comes from, so I wasn't expecting anything of the series from the now-postponed Direct. Good to know we have something to look forward to. AA7 news would be nice, but I know of something else that would really make it unmissable :p

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Now there was a trailer for season 2 of the anime. Atmey's nose has incredible range.

With this influx of Ace Attorney-related news and content I am getting giddy.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
The idea of Phoenix being in an SSE type story mode sounds great to me after seeing some trailer ideas for him.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'd love to get some AA music in Smash, and at least a Phoenix Wright Assist Trophy. Count me as a supporter!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Now there was a trailer for season 2 of the anime. Atmey's nose has incredible range.

With this influx of Ace Attorney-related news and content I am getting giddy.
I'd have posted that video, but because I'd green the last one to post at the time, I wasn't quite sure about double posting policies.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ooh, you can add me to the list of supporters if ya want!

And gosh, I really don't want to be greedy... Phoenix as an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, even just getting one music track in the game, any acknowledgment would be so heartwarming! But... if I caaan go ahead and ramble off some personal best-case scenariooo... Then!!!:

Phoenix wouldn't feel too natural appearing out of nowhere to Smash, so for a reveal trailer, it'd make more sense for Smash to come to him! Imagine: The end to a Nintendo Direct, "That's all we have for today! We hope-" "HOLD IT!" "Oh?" "OBJECTION!" "Ah, it appears we have...one last piece of evidence to present?" We open with a courtroom, clearly by the studio that worked on cutscenes for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. Phoenix is arguing with all sorts of passion! We think maybe we're watching the announcement of a Ace Attorney game, but shouldn't that be at TGS later this month? And hey, this isn't Phoenix's modern design...

"My client is innocent!" Phoenix shouts, pointing to them! The client is...I dunno, anyone that makes us realize this is Smash!
"Bluffing as usual... what do you know about Smashing anyway, Wright?" Edgeworth scoffs!
"Huh? I know...plenty!"
"And what evidence do you have?"
"Huh?"
"You know plenty of Smashing, do you? Well then! Let's see you prove it!"
The Judge nods, "The Court agrees with the prosecutions request."
Phoenix sweats, "Well...I guess the best defense...is a good offense!" He points and his splash screen appears! It reads "Phoenix Wright Can't Fight!" He looks at it offended and shouts over it "OBJECTION!" So now it just reads "Phoenix Wright OBJECTION!" yall get iiiit
[Gameplay, lots of pointing, desk-slamming, Magatama chain grabs (not chain-grabs, like, the chains of the Magatama are used for the grab haha and psyche-locks slam down and fade out for the pummel!) and Phoenix being a dork but putting up a fight!]
"Take That!" Phoenix taunts!
"That's it? You're going to have to do better than that!" Edgeworth jumps in to the battlefield playfully attacking Phoenix! He's an echo fighter! Lots of pointing and desk slamming from him too, and the Magatama makes sense since he's used it before. Phoenix and Edgeworth battle it out, lots of innocent bystanders getting in the way! Edgeworth scoffs with a shrug taunt while Phoenix looks like he's losing. Then he turns it around and catches another innocent bystander (probably his own defendant) in his final smash, started with a big "Objection!" hitbox!
I imagine his final smash to take him and everyone caught to the court, starting with his Objection which launches them to the other end of the room, where Edgeworth responds with his own "Objection!" sending the opponent back! Objection, Objection, Phoenix and Edgeworth ping pong the poor victim back and forth for a bit until the Judge finally demands "Order! Order! ORDER!" finishing the dazed opponent with three giant gavel slams!
[And just as a side note, Edgeworth's Final Smash would be the same thing but with him starting the ping pong]
The trailer goes from the end of this gameplay back to the cutscene where Phoenix and Edgeworth both have those anime sweatdrops looking at the judge as he concludes "The truth is clear! Mr. Wright has proved his point... My verdict is... NOT GUILTY! Court Dismissed!"
"Hmph...congratulations Wright..." Edgeworth smirks, "But this battle is far from over!"
Wright smirks back! ................................so yeah, something like that is what I'd hope for I guess!

I know we already have Megaman and Ryu and Ryu might get an echo (or ideally two - Ken and Akuma...) but Phoenix is so Nintendo exclusive and, augh, wish I could find it, think there was an official Nintendo UK site where Phoenix was the only non-Nintendo character to have his own page, next to Mario, Link, and others...Anyone know about that? Ehh... And while others like Geno and Skull Kid are totally ahead in line and deserve it, Phoenix is kind of like...upper-middle-ish request-wise? Maybe? He might have done "pretty good" in the ballot...I think? Hmmmgh... He's got a (successful?) anime and a pachinko machine and um! I dunno, he's...he's popular, right? Tsk... I dunno, maybe the miracle happen someday, maybe even DLC, who knowwws...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ooh, you can add me to the list of supporters if ya want!

And gosh, I really don't want to be greedy... Phoenix as an Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, even just getting one music track in the game, any acknowledgment would be so heartwarming! But... if I caaan go ahead and ramble off some personal best-case scenariooo... Then!!!:

Phoenix wouldn't feel too natural appearing out of nowhere to Smash, so for a reveal trailer, it'd make more sense for Smash to come to him! Imagine: The end to a Nintendo Direct, "That's all we have for today! We hope-" "HOLD IT!" "Oh?" "OBJECTION!" "Ah, it appears we have...one last piece of evidence to present?" We open with a courtroom, clearly by the studio that worked on cutscenes for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. Phoenix is arguing with all sorts of passion! We think maybe we're watching the announcement of a Ace Attorney game, but shouldn't that be at TGS later this month? And hey, this isn't Phoenix's modern design...

"My client is innocent!" Phoenix shouts, pointing to them! The client is...I dunno, anyone that makes us realize this is Smash!
"Bluffing as usual... what do you know about Smashing anyway, Wright?" Edgeworth scoffs!
"Huh? I know...plenty!"
"And what evidence do you have?"
"Huh?"
"You know plenty of Smashing, do you? Well then! Let's see you prove it!"
The Judge nods, "The Court agrees with the prosecutions request."
Phoenix sweats, "Well...I guess the best defense...is a good offense!" He points and his splash screen appears! It reads "Phoenix Wright Can't Fight!" He looks at it offended and shouts over it "OBJECTION!" So now it just reads "Phoenix Wright OBJECTION!" yall get iiiit
[Gameplay, lots of pointing, desk-slamming, Magatama chain grabs (not chain-grabs, like, the chains of the Magatama are used for the grab haha and psyche-locks slam down and fade out for the pummel!) and Phoenix being a dork but putting up a fight!]
"Take That!" Phoenix taunts!
"That's it? You're going to have to do better than that!" Edgeworth jumps in to the battlefield playfully attacking Phoenix! He's an echo fighter! Lots of pointing and desk slamming from him too, and the Magatama makes sense since he's used it before. Phoenix and Edgeworth battle it out, lots of innocent bystanders getting in the way! Edgeworth scoffs with a shrug taunt while Phoenix looks like he's losing. Then he turns it around and catches another innocent bystander (probably his own defendant) in his final smash, started with a big "Objection!" hitbox!
I imagine his final smash to take him and everyone caught to the court, starting with his Objection which launches them to the other end of the room, where Edgeworth responds with his own "Objection!" sending the opponent back! Objection, Objection, Phoenix and Edgeworth ping pong the poor victim back and forth for a bit until the Judge finally demands "Order! Order! ORDER!" finishing the dazed opponent with three giant gavel slams!
[And just as a side note, Edgeworth's Final Smash would be the same thing but with him starting the ping pong]
The trailer goes from the end of this gameplay back to the cutscene where Phoenix and Edgeworth both have those anime sweatdrops looking at the judge as he concludes "The truth is clear! Mr. Wright has proved his point... My verdict is... NOT GUILTY! Court Dismissed!"
"Hmph...congratulations Wright..." Edgeworth smirks, "But this battle is far from over!"
Wright smirks back! ................................so yeah, something like that is what I'd hope for I guess!

I know we already have Megaman and Ryu and Ryu might get an echo (or ideally two - Ken and Akuma...) but Phoenix is so Nintendo exclusive and, augh, wish I could find it, think there was an official Nintendo UK site where Phoenix was the only non-Nintendo character to have his own page, next to Mario, Link, and others...Anyone know about that? Ehh... And while others like Geno and Skull Kid are totally ahead in line and deserve it, Phoenix is kind of like...upper-middle-ish request-wise? Maybe? He might have done "pretty good" in the ballot...I think? Hmmmgh... He's got a (successful?) anime and a pachinko machine and um! I dunno, he's...he's popular, right? Tsk... I dunno, maybe the miracle happen someday, maybe even DLC, who knowwws...
Can you imagine this happening at TGS? It would be amazing!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know we already have Megaman and Ryu and Ryu might get an echo (or ideally two - Ken and Akuma...) but Phoenix is so Nintendo exclusive and, augh, wish I could find it, think there was an official Nintendo UK site where Phoenix was the only non-Nintendo character to have his own page, next to Mario, Link, and others...Anyone know about that?
Yes, It's on the official Nintendo character hub. https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Characters-Hub/Nintendo-Characters-Hub-106313.html

Along with Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yes, It's on the official Nintendo character hub. https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Characters-Hub/Nintendo-Characters-Hub-106313.html

Along with Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven.
Oh wow, I thought I'd never see it again! I guess this is it, thanks! Have Layton and the other always been there? Either way, neat!

As for the super fake 4chan thing... I personally don't even see how Larry with The Thinker would...work...? I mean, he's not ganna go around whacking people with it, he's not a murderer, so does he just keep dropping it and picking it back up and drop it again over and over...? Mmm...

I think I'd rather have Apollo as an Assist Trophy, he could use his bracelet to perceive someone, slowing them down for Phoenix to catch their weak point.

Or maybe Franziska, whipping people around, could even take some animations from Simon, similar to how Knuckles has animations from Sonic and Rodin has animations from Bayonetta? Mm, maybe not, as long as they represent her well enough.

Godot is popular too, and I imagine he'd reference the whole "Waiting for Godot" thing by taking a looong time to drink all his coffee before suddenly throwing it and one-hit killing someone, pretty much like Lyn... but we already have Lyn hmmm...

Ambitious, but Maya could channel a variety of dead Nintendo warriors? Darmani from Majora's Mask? Wrinkly Kong? King Boo? James McCloud?

And ooh, lot of stage potential, but it's gatta be a courtroom, that's where all the action happens, and I agree with the Bombed Courtroom from Dual Destinies, that'd be awesome with the Judge in the back and sunshine peeking in <3

I was hoping the Bombed Courtroom'd be in Marvel Infinite but...glad Phoenix dodged that bullet... Still remember when "leaks" said Simon Blackquill would be in Infinite and initially being like "What! Yeah right" and then thinking like "Hmm... well... Katana, Taka (his bird), handcuffs, sister's robots... actually a lot of potential" haha~ Ahh, I'm scatterbrainedly rambling, but yeaaah

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I don't have much ideas in terms of stages, but I'd feel Gumshoe would work as an Assist Trophy myself.
Dunno how but he just seems perfect for the role.

Roy_Boy Color

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5386-7443-4270
Switch FC
SW-0884-9374-3404
Count me in as a supporter! Phoenix Wright is my second most wanted character other than Skull Kid, and I'd love to see him bring justice to Smash Ultimate!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That is nice! It's interesting to see peoples' responses too, I don't get why more people don't replace Dr. Mario, I mean, sorry to Dr. Mario fans, but Mario still gets to stay sooo... hm!

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
"but, durr, dere's already two capcom reps"
OBJECTION!
(desk slams)
The witness is merely trying to confuse the court! I see no reason why Capcom having a third representative, one whose main games have ALL BEEN ON THE NINTENDO DS FAMILY, is too farfetched!
I fully support this notion, ludicrous as many may think.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
While I really, really love the Ace Attorney games and also really hope to see some representation in Smash, I just can't picture Phoenix fighting at all (and I know he was in fighting games before, but that also was too surreal for me). Maybe he'd be better as an Assist Trophy, shouting out objections?

Though the thing I'd like to see the most is a Courtroom-Stage:
After some time, a trial will be held there, with Phoenix on one side and Edgeworth on the other. Maybe the Judge and/or Maya on the witness stand would appear as well. During the trial, Phoenix and Edgeworth would debate back and forth, with each of them raising the occasional objection. When they do that, the iconic "OBJECTION!"-Speech Bubble (or "HOLD IT!"/"TAKE THAT!") appears next to them, and anyone caught by it would be sent flying a bit. The judge slamming his gavel could maybe also cause some damage.

This way, we'd get more characters to appear than just Phoenix and we'd have a stage where all of the amazing music in the series would play.

Of course I wouldn't mind if Phoenix became a fighter in addition to a stage, but to me it'd be difficult to get used to.
Well, I finally went and actually made this a thing, enjoy. ^^

1537053779377.png

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I got a family member who wants Phoenix Wright in Smash. And he was fun in Ultimate Marvel 3, even if he was Low-Tier. So I wouldn't mind him in the game at all.

Top Bottom