• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

LetterO

Smash Lord
I support. I really liked the Phoenix Wright games and it'd be super cool to see him in Smash.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
In recent news, Sakurai has stated that he's been referring to the ballot votes for this game's roster to certain degrees. One thing I recall is that Phoenix Wright was the most commonly mentioned Capcom rep whenever ballot talk came up, and from what I can gather, he's placed notably on it.

Again, this coupled with Sakurai metting with both Takumi and Kamiya in 2016, plus the set up with the murders, not to mention Capcom stating this would be a big year for Ace Attorney fans......guys. I've never dared to hope as much as I am now. (Well, actually I have, but this much evidence is more than I've had before).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In recent news, Sakurai has stated that he's been referring to the ballot votes for this game's roster to certain degrees. One thing I recall is that Phoenix Wright was the most commonly mentioned Capcom rep whenever ballot talk came up, and from what I can gather, he's placed notably on it.

Again, this coupled with Sakurai metting with both Takumi and Kamiya in 2016, plus the set up with the murders, not to mention Capcom stating this would be a big year for Ace Attorney fans......guys. I've never dared to hope as much as I am now. (Well, actually I have, but this much evidence is more than I've had before).
well to be fair i do recall they said they were planning to release all 6 games for the switch and number 7 soon, but i see your logic

Handy Man

Smash Ace
well to be fair i do recall they said they were planning to release all 6 games for the switch and number 7 soon, but i see your logic
I think a Tokyo Game Show announcement is likely. It seems like Dual Destinies and Spirit in Justice were announced there, and Ace Attorney's audience is larger in Japan so announcements made there would get more exposure to their target audience. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think a Tokyo Game Show announcement is likely. It seems like Dual Destinies and Spirit in Justice were announced there, and Ace Attorney's audience is larger in Japan so announcements made there would get more exposure to their target audience. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.
cant wait to see what itll have in store for us if they do

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This is the first I'm hearing of this, did Sakurai actually meet up with them? If so, that is very interesting, but the court demands evidence.
Well then...TAKE THAT!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AceAttorne...ight_of_yesterdays_smash_announcement_takumi/
This picture was reportedly taken in 2016. And with Bayonetta returning for Smash Ultimate, we can be certain that Sakurai at some point had a talk with Kamiya about it! And if per say a meeting like this is where it happened, well.....

Handy Man

Smash Ace

plasmabeam

Smash Rookie
Well then...TAKE THAT!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AceAttorne...ight_of_yesterdays_smash_announcement_takumi/
This picture was reportedly taken in 2016. And with Bayonetta returning for Smash Ultimate, we can be certain that Sakurai at some point had a talk with Kamiya about it! And if per say a meeting like this is where it happened, well.....

These guys are the creators of PW? This gives me hope. If we somehow got Edgeworth as an Echo I'd completely lost my sanity.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
These guys are the creators of PW? This gives me hope. If we somehow got Edgeworth as an Echo I'd completely lost my sanity.
Guy on the right is Shu Takumi, he created the series and directed PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Ace Attorney vs Professor Layton and the Great Ace Attorney games.

Guy on the left is Hideki Kamiya, who among many things created Bayonetta, and as we all know Sakurai must have negotiated with him at some point...

Guy in the middle is Miyamoto or whatever

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I would've truly never thought we'd be living in a world where Phoenix could actually be more likely than Leon or even Dante, but I always saw a lot of Nick support wherever I went on the Internet. If ballot was the end all be all, then I'm not sure how many of those RE/DMC fans would've voted in belief that it wasn't very likely to begin with. Nick fans seemed passionate regardless of likelihood.

I couldn't be happier if Ace Attorney actually somehow proves all the disbelievers to be contradicting the evidence of a Phoenix and echo Edgeworth splash screen right before their very eyes. "TAKE THAT!", I would say as tears would stream down my face out of joy to see the series defying the odds and making a grand turnabout. It would be great for it to get that kind of publicity as it makes the jump to Switch, the new hot console on the block.

While I don't believe in the idea that the murders are tied to Nick, I can't see why else they're suddenly getting so violent other than as a middle finger to CERO or a tie to the supposed theme of more villains for Ultimate (which seems to just be a K. Rool/Ridley thing). Murder cases are all Nick can get, after all. :p

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I just think it would be hillarious to immediately understand all of the Ace Attorney music and references while 90% of other people go "who is Edgeworth?".

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I just think it would be hillarious to immediately understand all of the Ace Attorney music and references while 90% of other people go "who is Edgeworth?".
If I see during Nick's gameplay montage that he has a (step)ladder recovery and I then hear Maya's voice arguing that it's just a ladder, that will be my all-time favorite trailer, hands down.

I hope the first indication that it'd be Nick wouldn't come from the scenery or the music or anything like that. I hope we'd just suddenly hear "OBJECTION!" and see the classic text bubble.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Sakurai: And with that, I’m be happy to announce that these are all the characters for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. Thank you all fo-

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I know an assist trophy is the most likely outcome but I kinda hope that doesn't happen so the door might be kept open for dlc.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What's concerning right now is a feasible Dante leak. True, Devil May Cry has a larger fanbase and Dante is more well known, but it would be a shame to miss out on Phoenix who's been a loyal Nintendo ever-present for one with very limited presence on their systems.

Guess we'll wait and see. Could get both, could get neither.

If Edgeworth were to be added as an echo I wonder what the recovery would be, then? My idea is to use Trucy/Mr. Hat to swing Phoenix back to safety but if Miles is in that wouldn't really...work. I mean, it could with dialogue changes, but would be awkward. Unless you change Trucy to Franziska whipping Edgeworth back onto the stage lol.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If Edgeworth were to be added as an echo I wonder what the recovery would be, then? My idea is to use Trucy/Mr. Hat to swing Phoenix back to safety but if Miles is in that wouldn't really...work. I mean, it could with dialogue changes, but would be awkward. Unless you change Trucy to Franziska whipping Edgeworth back onto the stage lol.
If Phoenix had Trucy helping him out in his moveset (which I kinda doubt) then I could maybe see Kay Faraday helping Edgeworth out in some similar way?

I don't really think they're going to be summoning other characters though.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Reminds me of when I used to think that Simon Blackquill as actually an older and aged Edgeworth, before getting into the series of course.

Course, guess we'd know how Ricther fans felt then.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up as a supporter! I love the Ace Attorney series and adding Phoenix Wright would amplify the ridiculousness factor by a LOT should he get in. Also you can never go wrong with some AA tracks.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I personally think that Apollo would be Phoenix's echo fighter, rather than Edgeworth. Apollo would represent the other half of the main series, and Maya could easily be replaced with Trucy. Edgeworth would be cool, but he would be largely representing the same timeline as Phoenix imo. Edgeworth could also have Kay like Phoenix has Maya, but references to the Investigation games seem very inconsistant.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I personally think that Apollo would be Phoenix's echo fighter, rather than Edgeworth. Apollo would represent the other half of the main series, and Maya could easily be replaced with Trucy. Edgeworth would be cool, but he would be largely representing the same timeline as Phoenix imo. Edgeworth could also have Kay like Phoenix has Maya, but references to the Investigation games seem very inconsistant.
I would love Apollo, but Edgeworth is a far more popular character with seniority and a spin-off series to himself. Even while Apollo technically has a game to his name, it's still under the "Ace Attorney" blanket and is still heavily tied to Nick unlike Investigations.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Don't know if I've said it before, but whoever's in charge here, please sign me up as a supporter as well for Phoenix Wright!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was thinking an Ace Attorney stage based on the Courtroom would be amazing.....and it could have cameo appearances from different defence attorneys and prosecutors.

Like each time you play on the stage you get a different combination of defence attorney (Apollo, Athena, Phoenix) vs prosecutor (Edgeworth, Franziska, Godot, Klavier Gavin, Simon Blackquill, Nayuta Sadhmadi) Obviously some cameos from characters like Maya, Pearl, Trucy would also be important.

If they didn't want to have too many different "witnesses" they could have Gumshoe and/or Ema Skye in the witness stand.

(Phoenix Wright would sometimes appear when he's not being used in battle too)

There could be stage hazards involving Franziska's whip, Godot throwing coffee, Simon Blackquill's hawk and Nayuta's beads. All while the Judge bangs his gavel and the crowd murmurs and cheers. This stage creates itself.

Do you think they'd be able to use assets from the 3DS Ace Attorney games to create the stage?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Problem with an Apollo echo is that Phoenix seems much taller and buffer than him whilst Edgeworth shares a similar build.

Not to mention Edgeworth is the most popular character within the fanbase and Takumi/Yamazaki know this.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
If given the choice between the two, I rather Edgeworth be the echo over Apollo, but that's purely because I like Edgeworth more than Apollo.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Lol be it Phoenix, Edgeworth or Apollo, it would be hilarious! Not holding my breath for a playable Phoenix though, but I'd be happy if he's an Assist.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Devil May Cry's producer disconfirms Dante on Twitter. Good news for Ace Attorney fans? If Dante was in he wouldn't be able to comment in the matter

Leaves Leon as our main rival now. Ken too but he would be an echo soooo...

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Devil May Cry's producer disconfirms Dante on Twitter. Good news for Ace Attorney fans? If Dante was in he wouldn't be able to comment in the matter

Leaves Leon as our main rival now. Ken too but he would be an echo soooo...
Eh?! Sounds like great news, but do you have a source my good man?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If we were to get an Echo I’d prefer Apollo, just to make up for how he was mistreated in AA5 and 6.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
How about them costumes, fellas?

Assuming we still have eight per character

Default Phoenix, obviously.
Red Suit, white tie - Edgeworth colors
Godot color - as bitter as the coffee he consumes
Black suit all over - reference to his great ancestor/Mia Fey - could work both ways
Yellow suit, blue tie - Athena colors
Pink suit, purple tie - College Phoenix (loosely)
Orange suit, brown tie - Larry Butz colors
Purple suit, white tie - Maya Fey (loosely)

Edgeworth if he gets echo'd:

Default Edgey
Blue vest, white cravat- Manfred von Karma colors
White vest, blue cravat - Franziska von Karma colors
Purple vest, gold cravat - Klavier colors
Black vest, white cravat - Simon Blackquill colors
Brown vest, black cravat - Gregory Edgeworth colors
Olive vest, red cravat - Gumshoe colors
Black vest, white cravat - Groom Edgey

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
How about them costumes, fellas?

Assuming we still have eight per character

Default Phoenix, obviously.
Red Suit, white tie - Edgeworth colors
Godot color - as bitter as the coffee he consumes
Black suit all over - reference to his great ancestor/Mia Fey - could work both ways
Yellow suit, blue tie - Athena colors
Pink suit, purple tie - College Phoenix (loosely)
Orange suit, brown tie - Larry Butz colors
Purple suit, white tie - Maya Fey (loosely)

Edgeworth if he gets echo'd:

Default Edgey
Blue vest, white cravat- Manfred von Karma colors
White vest, blue cravat - Franziska von Karma colors
Purple vest, gold cravat - Klavier colors
Black vest, white cravat - Simon Blackquill colors
Brown vest, black cravat - Gregory Edgeworth colors
Olive vest, red cravat - Gumshoe colors
Black vest, white cravat - Groom Edgey
What about the alternative costumes, from Dual Destinies/Spirit of Justice?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hey you can put me in the support list! Been replaying the series lately and oh my god I forgot how good it was!
I think it's really possible Ace Attorney might get some kind of content on Ultimate. Maybe a character is too much, though.
Seeing Phoenix with an Apollo echo would be the dream though!

Top Bottom