• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

D

Deleted member

I haven't finished the first game yet, but count me in nonetheless.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do you think we'll be getting Ace Attorney 7 on Switch this year or next year?

I wish they'd localize The Great Ace Attorney but I doubt that'll ever happen. I'm keeping my eye on the fan translation though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Having him in Smash would be the dream come true. Plus, ol’ Nick got snubbed hard for MvCI, so c’mon Nintendo, only you can fix that.

PF9

Smash Lord
In my headcanons Phoenix Wright is the personal lawyer for many of the existing Smashers. The rest are represented by Harvey Birdman.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Phoenix Wright is the most deserving third party character, even over Ryu and especially over Cloud
He has a lot of history with Nintendo and is an iconic character
He would fit in with the cast so well and marvel vs capcom already gave him a base to start with as far as movesets

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Do you think we'll be getting Ace Attorney 7 on Switch this year or next year?

I wish they'd localize The Great Ace Attorney but I doubt that'll ever happen. I'm keeping my eye on the fan translation though.
im fairly certain they said they were planning to release the ports and 7 on the switch this year

Phoenix Wright is the most deserving third party character, even over Ryu and especially over Cloud
He has a lot of history with Nintendo and is an iconic character
He would fit in with the cast so well and marvel vs capcom already gave him a base to start with as far as movesets

whos most deserving is a matter of opinion

Morbi

Scavenger
At first, I thought I did not want him because of how he was handled in Marvel vs Capcom 3. And then, I started playing his series (for the first time). I am about halfway through the second game. Or at least I finished the second case, because if it is anything like the first, the last case is going to be half the game. Lmfao.

I digress, I changed my mind. I desperately want him in Smash. And please, please, please include a Miles Edgeworth costume.

NoReason

Smash Rookie
Here is my idea for the perfect way to announce him. This is IDEAL for me to announce him; not saying its a likely way.

Lets say that In a new nintendo direct they announce a Super Mario Sunshine Remake.
In the next direct after that, they make it seem like they are showing a trailer for that with mario in court and he's about to get sentenced when "OBJECTION!"

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
im fairly certain they said they were planning to release the ports and 7 on the switch this year

whos most deserving is a matter of opinion

By deserving I look at how iconic the character is and how associated with Nintendo they are.

So cloud who has never starred on a game on a Nintendo system isn’t as deserving as a franchise that has been almost exclusively Nintendo since the beginning.

It’s my opinion on how deserving they are to be in a game that celebrates Nintendo before anything.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
My boy!

I have a good feeling about "the man in blue" (vague are we, Edgeworth?) for this one. Didn't Sakurai meet up with Takumi in 2016? Yes, Shu no longer contributes to the game (but he does for the anime) but he remains the original creator and writer. I wonder sometimes if Sakurai digs the series.

With Ace Attorney one of the few franchises Capcom are willing to greenlit and open to so many crossovers, this could be his shot!

But personally, big fan of the series. Played every game except the DGS duology. It's quirky and highly invested characters and stories just manage to grip me all the time.

If he got in, it is those palette colors I am curious about.

1. Default
2. Apollo-inspired colors (red sleeves white suit)
3. Edgeworth colors
4. Godot-inspired colors (yes with white hair)
5. Yellow (Athena colors)
6. Pink (referencing 3-1 love-sweater although could be seen as Redd White)
7. Raymond Shields-inspired colors (brown)
8. Orange (why not reference Larry?)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
By deserving I look at how iconic the character is and how associated with Nintendo they are.

So cloud who has never starred on a game on a Nintendo system isn’t as deserving as a franchise that has been almost exclusively Nintendo since the beginning.

It’s my opinion on how deserving they are to be in a game that celebrates Nintendo before anything.
cloud on his own doesnt make much sense, but the inclusion of final fantasy does, there are quite a few franchise that are almost nintendo exclusive just like ace attorney (like professor layton) who is deserving is a matter of opinion

and as smash is a game about nintendo you could argue that no non nintendo character deserves to be in smash

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
While I really, really love the Ace Attorney games and also really hope to see some representation in Smash, I just can't picture Phoenix fighting at all (and I know he was in fighting games before, but that also was too surreal for me). Maybe he'd be better as an Assist Trophy, shouting out objections?

Though the thing I'd like to see the most is a Courtroom-Stage:
After some time, a trial will be held there, with Phoenix on one side and Edgeworth on the other. Maybe the Judge and/or Maya on the witness stand would appear as well. During the trial, Phoenix and Edgeworth would debate back and forth, with each of them raising the occasional objection. When they do that, the iconic "OBJECTION!"-Speech Bubble (or "HOLD IT!"/"TAKE THAT!") appears next to them, and anyone caught by it would be sent flying a bit. The judge slamming his gavel could maybe also cause some damage.

This way, we'd get more characters to appear than just Phoenix and we'd have a stage where all of the amazing music in the series would play.

Of course I wouldn't mind if Phoenix became a fighter in addition to a stag, but to me it'd be difficult to get used to.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Here is my idea for the perfect way to announce him. This is IDEAL for me to announce him; not saying its a likely way.

Lets say that In a new nintendo direct they announce a Super Mario Sunshine Remake.
In the next direct after that, they make it seem like they are showing a trailer for that with mario in court and he's about to get sentenced when "OBJECTION!"
That is genius, it would be even better if there was actually no Super Mario Sunshine Remake, similar to the Mario Kart reveal for Rosalina.

My boy!

I have a good feeling about "the man in blue" (vague are we, Edgeworth?) for this one. Didn't Sakurai meet up with Takumi in 2016? Yes, Shu no longer contributes to the game (but he does for the anime) but he remains the original creator and writer. I wonder sometimes if Sakurai digs the series.

With Ace Attorney one of the few franchises Capcom are willing to greenlit and open to so many crossovers, this could be his shot!

But personally, big fan of the series. Played every game except the DGS duology. It's quirky and highly invested characters and stories just manage to grip me all the time.

If he got in, it is those palette colors I am curious about.

1. Default
2. Apollo-inspired colors (red sleeves white suit)
3. Edgeworth colors
4. Godot-inspired colors (yes with white hair)
5. Yellow (Athena colors)
6. Pink (referencing 3-1 love-sweater although could be seen as Redd White)
7. Raymond Shields-inspired colors (brown)
8. Orange (why not reference Larry?)
What about purple for Maya? I am relatively new to the series, but I gathered that she is important.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Big fan of the series here too. I've played all but the two DGS games. There have been 11 games all released exclusively for Nintendo handheld systems, and a huge following among the mystery game community. I've seen more people advocate for Layton, but Phoenix is where it's at. I'd flip out if he was added in to the next Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
Big fan of the series here too. I've played all but the two DGS games. There have been 11 games all released exclusively for Nintendo handheld systems, and a huge following among the mystery game community. I've seen more people advocate for Layton, but Phoenix is where it's at. I'd flip out if he was added in to the next Smash.
It does beg the question, why is that? I have seen a lot of Layton hype, not just currently, but before, for Smash 4 and rarely any talk of Phoenix for whatever reason. They seem... Comparable, to say the least.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It does beg the question, why is that? I have seen a lot of Layton hype, not just currently, but before, for Smash 4 and rarely any talk of Phoenix for whatever reason. They seem... Comparable, to say the least.
The only main reason I can find is that Layton is more suited to a fighting game simply because he knows how to fence and has been in more action related situations than Phoenix (who usually gets knocked out when attacked by anyone)

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
The only main reason I can find is that Layton is more suited to a fighting game simply because he knows how to fence and has been in more action related situations than Phoenix (who usually gets knocked out when attacked by anyone)
That makes sense but only one of them has been in a fighting game already so it’s strange. I would think Phoenix would be at the top of people’s wish lists with how popular he is

Morbi

Scavenger
Ideally we’ll have both

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright rematch?
They actually face each other in that game? I just figured it was a naming convention. I was planning on playing it once I finished the Ace Attorney series to bridge the gap and jump onto Layton. But if they actually face off against each other, I might pick it up after I finish the trilogy.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
They actually face each other in that game? I just figured it was a naming convention. I was planning on playing it once I finished the Ace Attorney series to bridge the gap and jump onto Layton. But if they actually face off against each other, I might pick it up after I finish the trilogy.
It’s more just a mashup of both series in a non-canonical side story
I thought it was fine
I recommend playing the second ace attorney trilogy or the miles edgeworth spin offs before playing the crossover.
It felt to me more like a professor Layton game with ace attorney sections which is fine.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
What about purple for Maya? I am relatively new to the series, but I gathered that she is important.
Certainly an option and more likely than brown, orange or even pink.

Court House stage with 'codecs' would be a must. If not that, then at least hidden secret dialogue when playing as Phoenix. The series is a goldmine for snark and quotes.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet

Court House stage with 'codecs' would be a must. If not that, then at least hidden secret dialogue when playing as Phoenix. The series is a goldmine for snark and quotes.
Yeah, I thought of these "codecs" as well, but I somehow forgot to mention them in my suggestion.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well the smashers certainly wouldnt be the oddest people they talked to

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Maya should be part of his moveset somehow like in MvC3

Unless we’re going to base it off the newer trilogy

Miles Edgeworth assist trophy is a must
Or missile the dog!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So moveset speculation....how about a defensive style? He's a defense attorney and always being attacked by prosecutors' logic or even objects/animals. The dude must be a zoner that counters when a chance comes up - it's who he is!

B Special: Court Record - Phoenix can sort through his evidence for exactly what he needs. His attorney's badge disables (see: Mewtwo's Disable) nearby foes in its sheer brightness. The Thinker packs a wallop once thrown (he can hold onto it until he sees the chance to present it). And the Autopsy Report proves damning evidence to act as multi-hit defensive move. They are set in this order, with a button press sorting through the evidence for what you need. Need an offensive option? The Thinker's brute force is for you. Need to protect yourself? Bring out that updated autopsy report. Need to start a combo suddenly? Show em your badge and hope it hits them hard who they are dealing with!

This represents how Phoenix can be in court: confident to strike first, on the receiving end of a worsening situation, or a quick counter to prove the prosecutor wrong in court.

Once a move connects, he shouts "Take That!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side-B: Objection!- a move that can charged or used instantly. The hitbox is the tip of the finger (otherwise it has a sour spot). Once fully charged, the move packs a punch and can even send out a gust of wind out of the sheer power of his objection.

This will work akin to Link's Gale Boomerang (the fact that it pushes the model, not the boomerang ability itself) to keep some distance or wonderful edgeguarding opportunities.

And yes, he screams Objection on a fully charged attack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up-B: Hold It! - In utter despair, Phoenix bluffs his way back onto stage! How does he do that? He uses Trucy's magic! Mr. Hat comes out and flies him back onto the stage. After all, Phoenix tends to be saved by his friends or witnesses in dire situations. And Trucy's magic props will help her dad whenever he is needed.

The height it can go up is fairly average, and when used on stage he will fly around in a static arc with some nasty end lag if used incorrectly.

When he grabs the ledge, he will shout "Hold It!"

------------------------------------------

Down-B: Magatama - Phoenix's trusty magic rock of spiritual power comes in handy when discovering the lies hidden in people's hearts. How can he use it here? A simple zone is turned into a Psyche-Lock. Once confident in his logic (or in this case, once it can be used to his advantage on the field), he can break the locks to hurt anyone in the vicinity of the move. Imagine Villager's tree or Snake's sensor bomb. Gives him some stage control. After some time unused, it will fade as Phoenix "made too many mistakes!" and is penalized.

---------------------------------------------

Final Smash: Wright Anything Agency - Phoenix slams his hands down. Anything caught in the hitbox is taken to a small cutscene, where Phoenix, accompanied by his employees Apollo Justice and Athena Cykes, reveal the truth behind the case. The power of three simultaneous objections is too strong, that it will send anyone flying to their doom at a decent percentage (say, 55%+)

He will shout "Got It!" when the hitbox connects to another character.

Unleash your emotions....with your own true face!

---------------------------------------------------

Taunts:
  1. Shrugs: hand behind his spiky hair, he looks aloof at his opponent.
  2. Confidence: hands on his hips, he confidently smiles at his soon-to-be-defeated opponent.
  3. Thinking: Finger on chin, Phoenix looks around slightly in a thinking pose.
These are authentic poses his sprites/models will do throughout the series, for those unfamiliar with the series.

Victory Poses:

1. Confetti Party: Phoenix stands, hand on hips once more with a beaming smile, as confetti falls from the sky. He enthusiastically claims: "A lawyer brings out his biggest smile!"
  2. Ponders: Phoenix calmly ponders the fight, as he proceeds to say: "The only time a lawyer can cry is when it is all over..."
  3. Sidekick Chaos: Maya cheers for Phoenix as he looks around awkwardly and slightly embarrassed. Similar to what is seen in Marvel vs Capcom.
Victory Theme: Find a jiggle from "Won the Case!" worthy.

Misc:

-When hit, Phoenix has his shocked expression similar to the games.
-When he loses, Phoenix doesn't clap. He has his hands on the side of his head, looking down and hiding his face. Again, similar to the "defeated" sprite he has throughout the series.
-When hit, Phoenix will shout "WHAAAAT" and "n-no!" depending on his damage % and power of the hit.
-When he hits someone, Phoenix will shout "Gotcha!" and "Eureka!". These aren't expressions said by himself, but by Apollo and Edgeworth respectively.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stage: The Courthouse

The courthouse plays an important role in the Ace Attorney series (as you would expect...). While the Wright Anything Agency would also be fitting, the courtroom is much more iconic for this series. I propose this idea:

Similar to Battlefield, but with trilogy sprites in the background during a trial. Seen in the background are: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth, The Judge and Detective Gumshoe (the witness). Phoenix and Edgeworth will occasionally send a speech bubble onto the stage, hitting anyone in its path. The Judge will hammer his gavel down in the middle of the stage when he demands order. Gumshoe does nothing: he's just there because he needs to be referenced in some way..

Omega is simple: the backgrounds remain but no hazards will show up on the stage.

Assist Trophy: Miles Edgeworth

Edgeworth will play Logic Chess. He will target someone and send a piece of a chessboard flying in their direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Music:

Pursuit Medley: the iconic Pursuit themes (or Cornered as some will call) plays in the background, changing from "Cornered" to "Caught" to finally "Cornering Together!"

Investigation Medley: from the dark tone of "Core" in Justice for All, to Apollo Justice's "Core", and finally Spirit of Justice's "Core".

Objection Medley: starting with Phoenix's triumphant objection from T&T that was remixed in later stages, to "A Chapter of New Trials 2013" and "Courtroom Revolutionaire 2013" packs a mean objection medley.

Cross-Examination - Allegro 2001 (original) - the original game's allegro music when a witness is about to burst.

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee (remix) - Godot's theme remixed to fit a fighting atmosphere. The jazzy and mysterious tone could work well with the right direction.

Pursuit - Lying Coldly - the pursuit theme in Investigations works fine for a fighting game if you ask me!

Steel Samurai Theme (remix) - slightly remixed to fit the tone of the game, this theme will always be associated with the trilogy and its characters.

Child of Magic 2007 - Trucy Wright's jovial tune from Apollo Justice brings some light to the Smash.

Turnabout Sisters Ballad (remix) - this lovely tune gets a small revamp. It probably doesn't suit a fighting game, but I didn't have the heart to leave it out.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
If Phoenix makes it Smash I hope they go all out with his costumes. I want both newbie and veteran attorney costumes with college Phoenix as well. Those three seem the easiest to makes at they're all Phoenix. If Maya gets representation in Phoenix's moveset I hope she also changes between her classic and modern outfit along with Phoenix. Maybe some Edgeworth and Kay, and Apollo and Trucy / Athena alts as well.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I would love to see Nick in Smash. He has fighting game experience and he is basically a ''Nintendo'' character appearing in Gameboy.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Since Ryu and Megaman are back, is there a chance for Nick to be in this game? Maybe Edgeworth can be his Echo Fighter.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Since Ryu and Megaman are back, is there a chance for Nick to be in this game? Maybe Edgeworth can be his Echo Fighter.
I'm not sure if his chances are all that great unfortunately.

Though I could see Phoenix getting in as an assist trophy, since Bomberman became one.

Honestly I'd be happy with the Ace Attorney series getting it's foot in the Smash Bros door however it can.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not sure if his chances are all that great unfortunately.

Though I could see Phoenix getting in as an assist trophy, since Bomberman became one.

Honestly I'd be happy with the Ace Attorney series getting it's foot in the Smash Bros door however it can.
Yeah, I see Phoenix Wright as a guardian Assist Trophy who doesn't actively attack but when his client (summoner) is under threat he bellows out his almighty

OBJECTION!!!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I can definitely see him as an assist trophy, but keeping hope in the 0.01% chance he gets added into this game as playable.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Though if he gets in as an assist trophy it'll be an awful waste if he doesn't bring some music with him.

Honestly I'd be happy even if they just ported a bunch of ace attorney songs into the game.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, at this point I think I'd prefer an Assist Trophy. While I have no objections (heh) to him becoming playable, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing as him if Crusade is anything to go by, and since I just want AA to be repped in Smash in some capacity, an Assit Trophy seems to fit him like a glove.
Either way, Ace Attorney music is a must.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Honestly, at this point I think I'd prefer an Assist Trophy. While I have no objections (heh) to him becoming playable, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing as him if Crusade is anything to go by, and since I just want AA to be repped in Smash in some capacity, an Assit Trophy seems to fit him like a glove.
Either way, Ace Attorney music is a must.
While a full moveset would certainly be interesting and right up Sakurai's alley of quirky and unorthodox, I wouldn't complain if I could just see him shouting "OBJECTION!" at people and sending them flying with it. I would still prefer a full character because it means a stage, more top-tier music, an amiibo, and maybe Apollo (my favorite) could be the AT shouting with his Chords of Steel.

By the way, first time seeing the thread so I'd like to say that I gladly support Nick. Can't complain about one of your favorite franchises being represented in Smash, right?

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I support Nick. He was fun to use in Smash Bros. Crusade so I can definitely see the potential.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on downloading Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies for my 3DS. I support!

Top Bottom