• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hello everyone. I have never played an AA game, but with more DLC being confirmed for Smash I wanted to pop in and give my support to you all. Although the DLC certainly doesn't need anymore human male characters, I think Phoenix would have a really really fun and unique moveset in Smash even though I really don't know anything about the games.

I have started making movesets for characters I really want and, despite Phoenix not being that high on my personal want list and despite the fact I have very little knowledge of him or his games to work with, I've really felt drawn to wanting to make my own moveset for Phoenix because I just think his quirky playstyle would be right up my alley. I have been looking at movesets online for him and am really impressed by all the variety there is in each moveset which further proves how viable of an option he is for Smash.

Well anyway, I'm gonna go back to the Geno thread now, but maybe sometime I'll write up a Phoenix moveset and post it so you guys can tear it apart due to my nearly complete lack of knowledge regarding the series lol. Best of luck to you all. I hope you get your character!

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone! If I could have your attention, if I may?

Hi! I am PichuMain. I used to frequent Smashboards frequently up until Smash release, only then to get caught playing, well, Smash Bros. I am a Shantae fan, so I salute you from the Shantae group, and I would love for Phoenix Wright to come into the game, but I have a proposition.

If anyone is willing to challenge, I would like to present to the court why a certain echo fighter will be a perfect fit for Smash, albeit having a few moves as I have not finished the series quite yet. Although, he's not the fighter everyone believes to think.

If I may, the defense is ready to protect my client. If there's a prosecutor willing, I'd be happy to challenge in the courtroom.

So far, Apollo comes to mind when it comes to having Phoenix Wright as an echo fighter, if it ever happens. But, as the defense says, I declare someone else should partake in this battle. Someone that could represent the Japanese Audience. And the person I believe should represent that is...

I believe Phoenix Wright represents the Western Audience well. So why not a Japanese representative too?

I present Ryūnosuke Naruhodō, or Naruhodo in this case, as my client to partake in Smash, directly from the Great Ace Attorney series; the great ancestor that is the famous Phoenix wright from the Ace Attorney Games.

Although having no intentions at being a lawer, he was caught in the middle of a scandal that framed him as a criminal, killing Dr Watson. A problem arises when the player faces one crucial detail: This game takes place in the 19th century Japan, where its instead of a judge giving the final verdict, every case is dealt with by Jury, just like the 4th case in Apollo Justice, and it can make getting out a corner from a guilty verdict incredibly difficult.

The case is the first between Japan and Europe, where they just have signed a mutual agreement to be teammates, however a problem arises when that very same defendant has killed Dr Watson, a british man from Europe. Leaning on the betrayal of countries, a defense attorney was meant to defend him, until persuaded to defend himself, Naruhudo takes on one of the most difficult tutorial cases in the Ace Attorney Games (and this is no exaggeration).

With a nervous personality and very shaky stature, I believe he is the most fitting of the defense attorney that should sit right next to Phoenix Wright.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I believe Phoenix Wright represents the Western Audience well. So why not a Japanese representative too?
Heyo, welcome! And aw, I doubt many Japanese people, or anyone really, would react to Phoenix's reveal with "Oh, that lawyer guy predominantly popular in the West" but Ryunosuke's a cool dude and would make a fine echo~
Hey guys! What do you think of my new avatar?
And ayy he got the maaail~

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Heyo, welcome! And aw, I doubt many Japanese people, or anyone really, would react to Phoenix's reveal with "Oh, that lawyer guy predominantly popular in the West" but Ryunosuke's a cool dude and would make a fine echo~
Thank you! Although I was more or less going for an echo. Phoenix will no doubt represent both the east and west just fine, although I genuinely believe Ryunosuke will represent the the eastern mainly because of the japanese culture that is painted very clearly in his game.

Phoenix is from Japanifornia so of course he'd represent the east and west simultaneously.
Again, I mainly meant for an echo fighter, not a replacement for Phoenix. He'd honestly be the best fit for an echo, considering he's Phoenix great ancestor.

But thank you all for the kind greetings.

Also put me on the list if I'm not on there already.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
So far, Apollo comes to mind when it comes to having Phoenix Wright as an echo fighter, if it ever happens.
If Phoenix Wright gets in, I really doubt he'll get an echo, that being said Ryuunosuke is perfect as an alt, not half of them tho but two at most, kinda like Joker.
The game is not localized (sadly) so it should be pretty easy to label him as Phoenix Wright, that wouldn't feel right but works.
I really wanna see Ryuunosuke as an alt, its not the first time I gosh about it in this thread.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Thank you! Although I was more or less going for an echo.
Oh don't worry, I got it, me saying he'd be a fine echo wasn't me making some compromise, it was agreeing with you!

And yeah, I can see Phoenix getting an echo, I wouldn't say it's likely, but he's a character it could work for definitely. While Phoenix is super unique and no one else in any other game could fight like him, some other Ace Attorneys couuuld!

I think the best choice is Apollo since he's cool, represents the "second trilogy" well, and feels like our #2 lead protagonist for sure.

But Edgeworth is another great choice, change some animations to be more elegant and smug and we have a very fun personality added to the smash family! Edgeworth is a fan favorite for sure, protagonist of his own few adventures, and I remember being younger and reading some Nintendo Power list of legendary rivals or villains and gaming and being happy to see Edgeworth close to the top!

You could also do a koopaling thing and have Athena, Mia, even Franziska and Godot as alts instead of echoes, but I think that only works if the characters are as devoid of personalities as the Heroes are. To do that for our Attorneys wouldn't uh...ugh..."do them justice"...

Ryunosuke's a cool choice too, but I don't really prefer it or find it likely since he's one of the few characters most people outside of Japan wouldn't recognize unfortunately... He's a big cutie, love his nervous eyes darting around animation, and if he got in - great! But I personally prefer Apollo most and Edgeworth as a close second!

Though, in terms of "likeliness" I guess Edgeworth would win since he's probably more well known and a biiig fan favorite still to this day! Plus Phoenix and Apollo are definitely different but built to have similar personalities so adding Edgeworth would add a more different personality along with Phoenix!

Some people used to call clones a waste, but I always thought it was cool how you could get a whole new personality by changing the effects of some moves or something, Fox was serious, Falco was more of a show-off, Marth was precise, Roy was a rookie, and now we have spunky Daisy, sinister Dark Samus, it's great! I love Apollo but his and Phoenix's taunts and victory screens would be kinda similar...I mean I guess Phoenix would be more "Phew...!" and Apollo would be more "Yeaaah take that!!!", but Edgeworth's taunts and victory screens would be really funny in another way! Well they'd all be funny and cool...oh whatever I've rambled enough!

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I never realized is that we’d be getting a Phoenix Wright amiibo if he gets in!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Phoenix Wright and Monokuma are my two most wanted right now, getting either one of them in would be a dream come true.

Add me to the support list right away

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think this is the kind of content I subscribe to:

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
Wright is right, people! We have one more fighter pass slot and a whole second pass at MINIMUM, so we still can't give up!

(The only time we can cry is when it's all over.)
Sorry, that line just feels obligatory for me on this thread.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wright is right, people! We have one more fighter pass slot and a whole second pass at MINIMUM, so we still can't give up!
actually at minimum we have two more characters out side the pass, all the said about other dlc characters was that more were coming and the fact that they used a plural would suggest more than one

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
actually at minimum we have two more characters out side the pass, all the said about other dlc characters was that more were coming and the fact that they used a plural would suggest more than one
Yes, not to be a killjoy, but I see a lot of people assuming we're getting a second pass no questions asked. Not that I don't think that couldn't happen, but at this point in time, Nintendo only guaranteed more fighters to come after the pass, possibly not in the same format and as standalone purchases. Semantics aside, this doesn't hurt Wright's chances any of getting in I believe.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yes, not to be a killjoy, but I see a lot of people assuming we're getting a second pass no questions asked. Not that I don't think that couldn't happen, but at this point in time, Nintendo only guaranteed more fighters to come after the pass, possibly not in the same format and as standalone purchases. Semantics aside, this doesn't hurt Wright's chances any of getting in I believe.
I think the likelihood they would greenlight more characters, and announce it before this pass is even over, no less, if they only planned to release one or two more is pretty low. Chances are, this pass is so incredibly lucrative for them, they see it as something of a foregone conclusion that another round would be at least almost as successful, perhaps even equally successful, given appropriate marketing.

Granted, indeed, there's always a chance that they're just being silly and making a disproportionately huge deal out of it, but I expect Nintendo sees this as basically printing money.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I think the likelihood they would greenlight more characters, and announce it before this pass is even over, no less, if they only planned to release one or two more is pretty low. Chances are, this pass is so incredibly lucrative for them, they see it as something of a foregone conclusion that another round would be at least almost as successful, perhaps even equally successful, given appropriate marketing.

Granted, indeed, there's always a chance that they're just being silly and making a disproportionately huge deal out of it, but I expect Nintendo sees this as basically printing money.
Lemme rephrase; I don't think we're not getting at least a good handful more characters, I just don't think it'll be in the form of a Fighter's Pass. Sakurai has expressed before his displeasure of bundling the DLC like this, since he doesn't want people paying for fighters they may not like/want by buying the pass. But Sakurai's opinion on the matter might not matter, and Nintendo will have it rolled out in a pass fashion again. However, just from the announcement that "more fighters are coming" and nothing else, people are assuming future DLC is in the form of a pass, guaranteeing five new fighters to look forward to after #5, which is what I'm trying to clear the air about.

KatKit

Smash Lord
It was only a matter of time before I joined this. I think there's some overlap between Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Style Savvy, etc. kind of supporters.

Anyway, back when Phoenix Wright was considered for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, they wanted to have him fight behind a desk. I think it'd be cool if he had an attack like that in Smash (side B?).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It was only a matter of time before I joined this. I think there's some overlap between Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Style Savvy, etc. kind of supporters.

Anyway, back when Phoenix Wright was considered for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, they wanted to have him fight behind a desk. I think it'd be cool if he had an attack like that in Smash (side B?).
I guess Phoenix would be the closest thing to a character with a table flip move. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh, that could be a down-b for sure, down-b for the desk to appear and Phoenix slams it, then you can jump off it or use it to hide behind a Samus charge shot or something, then down-b again next to it to flip it over and hit someone for something almost as strong as Villager's tree! Like a mix of spawning Pac-Man's Hydrant and Villager's tree, yeah!

I've suggested the desk slam as just a down-smash but ay flippin the desk over is fun too~

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Now that I’m thinking about it, wouldn’t it make so much sense for Phoenix to have the ability to pocket projectiles as evidence? He could have a little court record HUD display with maybe 3 slots to store and “present” his own unique evidence like the thinker and other characters’ projectiles like Wario’s bike.

EDIT: Here’s a list of evidence Phoenix can use I thought of:
-The Thinker as a heavy projectile like Simon’s axe
-Cell phone that puts opponents to sleep while playing Toccatta and Fugue in an aura
-Rarest of them all attorney’s badge that deals massive damage because the power of justice knows no bounds
-Cardboard badge that does 1%
-Samurai Spear that’s thrown in an arch and breaks into two pieces after it impacts
-Coldkiller X bottle that gives opponents a poison effect if hit by it
-Steel Samurai ball that bounces on stage in a fixed arch, low % but high knockback like the bumper

I tried to give the evidence properties that sort of fit their contexts, I have a feeling that if Phoenix were in smash they’d focus more on 1-3 so I only took from those games.

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Ladies and gentlemen, I've found the motherload.
While looking up "スマブラ成歩堂龍一" (Smash Bros. Phoenix Wright basically) I found this JP Twitter account supporting Nick in Smash which actually goes ahead and animates some of Nick's potential moves!
Check out the twitter here.
Here are the examples posted:
evidence.gif

stepladder.gif

matta.gif

objection.gif

The twitter also features further tidbits...in Japanese, of course, so a good translation will be needed in order to understand it well.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Instead of having Maya utilized in his moveset directly, I think it would be neat if she was always in the background cheering Nick on like Pokémon Trainer does. If he gets a kill while he’s on stage, she could throw confetti at him while he’s all embarrassed. If he dies, Maya could give that pouty angry face towards the opponent. Maybe if he needs a helping hand, she could throw a burger to heal him!

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Isn’t it ramen in the Japanese version though? I think they’d use that as reference. Or just do both for laughs.
I couldn’t find Ramen in the list of Ultimate food items which is why I didn’t mention it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ladies and gentlemen, I've found the motherload.
While looking up "スマブラ成歩堂龍一" (Smash Bros. Phoenix Wright basically) I found this JP Twitter account supporting Nick in Smash which actually goes ahead and animates some of Nick's potential moves!
Check out the twitter here.
The twitter also features further tidbits...in Japanese, of course, so a good translation will be needed in order to understand it well.
Ayy, they're doing such a great job, what a nice discovery! And wow, I didn't know Phoenix was on Kamiya's wishlist too haha
Edit: Woah, I know many things seem obvious like of course present evidence and Objection F-Smash but this person put this stuff out so much sooner than my video! Am I a hack?? Pwsh, still though, hope they're well! Guess this account was just used for making a case for Phoenix since everything's on December 18th!

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
After finishing PWAA over the summer on Switch, I finally picked up JFA on my phone (because I left my Switch at home for the time being to focus on college), and just started Farewell My Turnabout.

And I gotta say, if Turnabout Big Top really is the worst case in the series like a lot of people say, I’m excited for the future experience with the series.

Once I finish JFA, I plan on taking a bit of a break before TaT. Not sure on whether I’ll drop the $7 to buy it iOS, or if I’ll wait until whenever I pick up my Switch again. Looking forward to it.

Also been playing with an idea for a Phoenix Smash reveal. Might put together a script and post it later tonight.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
After finishing PWAA over the summer on Switch, I finally picked up JFA on my phone (because I left my Switch at home for the time being to focus on college), and just started Farewell My Turnabout.

And I gotta say, if Turnabout Big Top really is the worst case in the series like a lot of people say, I’m excited for the future experience with the series.

Once I finish JFA, I plan on taking a bit of a break before TaT. Not sure on whether I’ll drop the $7 to buy it iOS, or if I’ll wait until whenever I pick up my Switch again. Looking forward to it.

Also been playing with an idea for a Phoenix Smash reveal. Might put together a script and post it later tonight.
I don't think it's even the worst in the original trilogy, Lost Turnabout (2-1) has that honor. I also think I dislike 4-4 more for reasons i won't spoil for you.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I don't think it's even the worst in the original trilogy, Lost Turnabout (2-1) has that honor. I also think I dislike 4-4 more for reasons i won't spoil for you.
Aw, I love 2-1 and 4-4! But yeah, subjective, that's what happens! I guess though it's *safe* to say that while I don't hate 2-3 it does seem to have the biggest consensus for worst in the first 4 games? Eh, we'll see! Maybe Mega Bidoof will hate uhh...3-2 or something!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Aw, I love 2-1 and 4-4! But yeah, subjective, that's what happens! I guess though it's *safe* to say that while I don't hate 2-3 it does seem to have the biggest consensus for worst in the first 4 games? Eh, we'll see! Maybe Mega Bidoof will hate uhh...3-2 or something!
That's a fair point. To be fair Big Top makes more sense than 3-2, there is a pretty massive plothole there which makes it impossible for the murderer (not saying his name to not spoil it for Bidoof) to have killed the victim.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/480036970/smash-bros-ultimate-fighter-pass-dlc-details
Never worth paying attention to 4chan but i like how straight forward this person is whether it's fake or not, at least it's not the usual "let me explain to you how I got this info and who my source is and where I worked at" lol. The other thing i like about this type of "leaks" is when they give a date for getting debunked. Might just keep an eye for the lulz only.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Never obey text leaks. No matter how Fŕ̵͘E͢a̸͏Ki͠N͟ǵ ̛̕͞m̨͢U̸c҉H̨͢ I want Phoenix in the game, a 4chan post isn't going to change reality any.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Joker, Banjo, and Terry were kept under wraps or were until 2 days before their reveal. Absolutely no chance anyone knows the DLC today as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/480036970/smash-bros-ultimate-fighter-pass-dlc-details
Never worth paying attention to 4chan but i like how straight forward this person is whether it's fake or not, at least it's not the usual "let me explain to you how I got this info and who my source is and where I worked at" lol. The other thing i like about this type of "leaks" is when they give a date for getting debunked. Might just keep an eye for the lulz only.
What does it say? My housemate has put parental controls on my WiFi, it doesn't let me on 4chan for some reason.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
What does it say? My housemate has put parental controls on my WiFi, it doesn't let me on 4chan for some reason.
It's just "A presentation on November 6th, Terry comes out, Phoenix gets announced" pretty much, only paraphrased a bit? It'd be a great birthday present for me, the exact day muahaha, but yeah, I think it just came from someone who may have wanted to see more Phoenix discussion

Top Bottom