• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm honestly not feeling it in my gut at all, but hey, maybe that's how they want me to feel haha, but nah yeah, I feel like E3's ganna be fun but Phoenix's time'll come later, seems like this is where Banjo or Sora would show up if they're ganna show up at all, but hey, could be Phoenix or whoever else, I dunno, I dunno! But having Phoenix in Smash and AA7 announced later around TGS is a great scenario for everyone too <3

Sonsa

Smash Champion
...sooo...any of yall think there's a chance we could see some Vs Capcom game at Microsoft's Direct today?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, sorry, was hoping for something but yeah, pwsh
12 Mins looked neat, and hey, the deer thing was pretty, lots of neat stuff! ...but oof I'm still sleepy, sorry but the gun and zombie stuff really...eh...
Anyway, yikes, sorry Banjo fans, they got teased a lot. Uhhhmmm... Ayyyy Tuesdayyy

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sorry, was hoping for something but yeah, pwsh
12 Mins looked neat, and hey, the deer thing was pretty, lots of neat stuff! ...but oof I'm still sleepy, sorry but the gun and zombie stuff really...eh...
Anyway, yikes, sorry Banjo fans, they got teased a lot. Uhhhmmm... Ayyyy Tuesdayyy
I can't believe we're still doing big-man-with-gun-and-also-zombies every year, honestly. Ori, 12 Mins, and A Way to the Woods looked good, and some of the other smaller stuff was cool, but almost nothing done in-house by Microsoft themselves was doing it for me.

...Tuesday!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm takin' charge of this thread fellas.

Well ok not really likely

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Nintendo's lawyers out in full force - Phoenix Wright confirmed?!

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Only one more day!! So, Sakurai has confirmed that we will see the next DLC-fighter on Tuesday:

The interesting part about this message: Sakurai highlights that the Smash Ball turned into a Fake Smash Ball. Could this be an analogy to allegedly leaked fighters that turn out to be Fake leaks? Many people have this exact idea:

So if this is true, Phoenix Wright might have a bigger chance than we've expected. We know that Sakurai likes surprises. For instance: Even though there were so many leaks, nobody expected the Piranha Plant or Joker - our most recent 2 announced fighters. And this time Sakurai mentions a Smash Ball turning into a Fake Smash Ball while talking about the next DLC-fighter. Let's hope the best for tomorrow, I think anything is possible.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Purposefully telling insiders or whoever fake leaks and spreading fake rumors seems like a good tactic, not sure Sakurai would want to be involved with it since he gets so sad for fans, like when cut characters couldn't make it, but maybe he's gotten more sad about ruined surprises, hm. Just not sure he would hype up Erdrick or Banjo fans to actually surprise and delight everyone else, but hey maybe, it's a strategy, and ideally no fan believes leaks anyway!

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
So, Dragon Quest fans and Banjo Kazooie fans got their fill. Square Enix and Microsoft/Rare have been covered. Both look stunning.
A new Capcom character seems like a given, what with their expansive character library and affiliation with Nintendo. Let's rally behind Phoenix even stronger than before, so he can get his chance.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I never expected anything related to AA this E3, I'm hoping Phoenix Wright to be revealed around September-October.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You'll be happy to know Phoenix Wright is now my 2nd most wanted character for Smash. A very favorable position for characters chances of getting into Smash previously held by Shulk and Banjo-Kazooie.

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
Now that Banjo and Kazooie are in, Phoenix Wright is my next most wanted (that hasn't been deconfirmed). Go Justice!

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I hope we don't get any leaks from here on, I know that's pretty much impossible but I'll try to avoid them for the sake of having a heart attack when Wright is announced.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well this might bode well for us. Two series catering to the hardcore Nintendo base and with strong origins on their systems. Banjo also proves that demand can triumph over legacy and recency, which means Phoenix can worry less about Resident Evil flexing its muscles. Phoenix being rather prominently the top Capcom pick in online polls is something to note despite the small sample size and potential bias.

However, I do notice that Banjo releases in Fall. TGS is in September. Maybe I'm being way too giddy, but that's convenient timing for a reveal if necessary. So far the reveals have only been at shows, so I think there is some merit to a TGS reveal, even if it remains unlikely.

All we can do is hope and pray, but there's some possible good points for us after today to digest.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
It feels extremely petty to feel this way, but every time I see new Resident Evil content on the Switch, I'm filled with an existential dread that the Capcom character we get is from RE. I have nothing at all against the series, but it's going to be very depressing, from a selfish point-of-view, if we get Leon, for example, instead of Phoenix Wright.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It feels extremely petty to feel this way, but every time I see new Resident Evil content on the Switch, I'm filled with an existential dread that the Capcom character we get is from RE. I have nothing at all against the series, but it's going to be very depressing, from a selfish point-of-view, if we get Leon, for example, instead of Phoenix Wright.
Yeah I get that, but I am not too worried. Sakurai decides the characters, not the company in question. Capcom simply want to sell their ports.

Just keep hopin' it is a lawyer that comes out on top. Just don't get too invested.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Banjo and Phoenix were neck and neck for my most wanted fighter. Gun to my head, I wouldn't have been able to tell you who actually held that position for sure.

Now, it goes without saying, I do. Rooting for ya 100%, blue suit and black spikes.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Resident Evil makes it in over Phoenix, I'll be a gracious loser. But I'll never stop fighting for our boy in blue!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Normally I wouldn't begrudge RE or any other Capcom IP making it in, but man I just Phoenix in so badly. It's the only reveal that would make me stand up in joy. I won't lie that I'll be a bit bitter at first if they make it in.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I love RE so I'll be happy if someone from there gets in (unless it's Chris because **** Chris). But Phoenix is miles ahead in my book, so it would really be nice to get him.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
So now Phoenix Wright is my second most wanted third-party character, after Heavy Weapons Guy, now that Banjo-Kazooie finally made it in. I really hope for the best for Phoenix.

Do you guys think Phoenix could also get 4 different skins just like the Dragon Quest character? I was thinking about this for a bit, but I've figured out it wouldn't really fit at all. All the playable characters from the Ace Attorney series kind of have different stuff going on for them. Phoenix has his locks, Apollo has his bracelet, Athena has that "emotions thingy I forgot the name of it" and other characters like Mia, Edgeworth and that guy from Dai Gyakuten Saiban don't really have anything special going for them, as far as I know. (Never played Investigations or Dai Gyakuten Saiban series.)

So what do you guys think about this subject?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So now Phoenix Wright is my second most wanted third-party character, after Heavy Weapons Guy, now that Banjo-Kazooie finally made it in. I really hope for the best for Phoenix.

Do you guys think Phoenix could also get 4 different skins just like the Dragon Quest character? I was thinking about this for a bit, but I've figured out it wouldn't really fit at all. All the playable characters from the Ace Attorney series kind of have different stuff going on for them. Phoenix has his locks, Apollo has his bracelet, Athena has that "emotions thingy I forgot the name of it" and other characters like Mia, Edgeworth and that guy from Dai Gyakuten Saiban don't really have anything special going for them, as far as I know. (Never played Investigations or Dai Gyakuten Saiban series.)

I'd love an Edgeworth echo fighter but nah. The most I'd hope for is his new and classic looks and maybe Feenie and Hobo Nick.

Also, Edgeworth has chess. Play the AAI games, the second is among the best games in the series.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I doubt we'll get that. Phoenix is the most iconic, and a more developed, memorable and unique character than the DQ heroes.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'd love an Edgeworth echo fighter but nah. The most I'd hope for is his new and classic looks and maybe Feenie and Hobo Nick.

Also, Edgeworth has chess. Play the AAI games, the second is among the best games in the series.
Realistically, if we get Phoenix I expect two skins, much like with Joker. If I had to guess, it's either just new/old Phoenix in lawyer attire, or new Phoenix and Feenie - it's so damned goofy, who could resist?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Apollo wouldn't work as an alt. He has his own ability (Perceive) and doesn't use the Magatama which works entirely differently even in the context of Smash. I also think in terms of build Phoenix is taller and huskier.

Athena also has her own ability (Mood Matrix) and a smaller build. Mia does not use the Magatama and has a smaller build.

Edgeworth though? Could work. He HAS used the Magatama, and shares a similar build. Capcom and the Ace Attorney team also know how popular he is. I wouldn't expect him, but I'm entertaining the possibility at least.

What I am most interested in would be the reveal trailer. DLC are getting full trailers, so I am guessing it would use anime rather than CGI, but I certainily wouldn't begrudged seeing Ace Attorney in CGI.

God I just hope he manages to get in. Seeing the love the other series gets makes me excited about how Sakurai and his team would treat Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
If there's an echo, no doubt it'd be Edgeworth. Apollo somewhat works, yes, but Edgeworth has appeared in every single game in the series bar some spinoffs and AJ, and is the protagonist in two of his own. He's been Phoenix's rival since the beginning, has utilized the Magatama before, has a stake in the ladders vs. stepladders debate, has a similar physique, it's all too perfect. Apollo almost works but I just don't think he'd be as great as Edgeworth would be. Just swap some animations/expressions and badabing badaboom.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The DLC characters have all come in pairs.

Joker and Morgana
Hero and Slime
Banjo and Kazooie

It's obviously the theme of the pass and not at all a coincidence!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I would be beyond ecstatic if a direct happens and it double reveals Ace Attorney 7 and Phoenix Wright in Smash.

The DLC characters have all come in pairs.

Joker and Morgana
Hero and Slime
Banjo and Kazooie

It's obviously the theme of the pass and not at all a coincidence!
Phoenix and Maya :smash:

Top Bottom