• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well if iirc Megaman was base game and got new songs in Ultimate, similar case with SF, receiving new songs in Ultimate

In any case if we get a Capcom character as DLC I think expecting more tracks than usual (excluding Terry, of course) is a safe bet, getting 15-20 songs with Phoenix would be great

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd expect 20 songs tops for another Capcom rep at best, but I doubt it'll be much bigger than what Joker or Banjo got.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I'm a little concerned that we still have no new news about a potential Ace Attorney 7. 2017 there were reports that Capcom is working on a new Ace Attorney game for Nintendo Switch and supposedly three AA-projects should come for Switch!?? https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/13...new-ace-attorney-for-switch-plus-compilations
What happened? I really want a new entry and it would be perfect to promote AA7 with Phoenix Wright in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm a little concerned that we still have no new news about a potential Ace Attorney 7. 2017 there were reports that Capcom is working on a new Ace Attorney game for Nintendo Switch and supposedly three AA-projects should come for Switch!?? https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/13...new-ace-attorney-for-switch-plus-compilations
What happened? I really want a new entry and it would be perfect to promote AA7 with Phoenix Wright in Smash Bros. Ultimate.
IIRC that info was talking about the original trilogy port.
I agree with you, but honestly I'm not expecting a lot of news from games during a while due to all this whole situation. So I'm not expecting anything about AA7 soon. The only option for seeing an official reveal is that the game is almost finished and Capcom decides to reveal it in the upcoming direct.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I honestly hope Wright is the Capcom rep instead of Dante. Not really against Dante or his series, but I feel like Wright would be a more interesting character to see in Smash.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm really hoping that Ace Attorney 7 has been in development these past three to four years. Ace Attorney deserves a high budget home console release. I have the feeling that we haven't heard anything about Ace Attorney 7 in a long time because they have been working hard on it privately. I think a brand new Ace Attorney game in 2020 is not a possibility due to COVID-19, but hopefully 2021 or 2022 marks the return of main series Ace Attorney. It would be great to see the series jump from the 3DS to the Switch with a high-effort and big budget iteration.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, this thread's been dead for a while, huh?

Anyway, I just read an article about Capcom's financial plans for the fiscal year ending in March 2021. And they made a big deal about how they're planning to sell a huge amount of copies, by releasing 13 games (or rather SKUs, which might include big expansions like MH Iceborne, but I'm not sure). Obviously Resident Evil 3 is one of them, and rumor has it that Resident Evil 8 could be coming next year and given RE's latest pattern of releasing early in the year, that could be another one.

But as for the other unidentified 11 games, what do you think about Ace Attorney 7's chances of being one? 11 games is a lot for one company in one year, and afaik there are no other Capcom games announced for this year or the next.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Hey, this thread's been dead for a while, huh?

Anyway, I just read an article about Capcom's financial plans for the fiscal year ending in March 2021. And they made a big deal about how they're planning to sell a huge amount of copies, by releasing 13 games (or rather SKUs, which might include big expansions like MH Iceborne, but I'm not sure). Obviously Resident Evil 3 is one of them, and rumor has it that Resident Evil 8 could be coming next year and given RE's latest pattern of releasing early in the year, that could be another one.

But as for the other unidentified 11 games, what do you think about Ace Attorney 7's chances of being one? 11 games is a lot for one company in one year, and afaik there are no other Capcom games announced for this year or the next.
Not sure, 11 games is a lot but it's not guaranteed for AA7. March 2021 is some time before October 2021 which would be Ace Attorney's 20th Anniversary. Hopefully they do SOMETHING for that date.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not sure, 11 games is a lot but it's not guaranteed for AA7. March 2021 is some time before October 2021 which would be Ace Attorney's 20th Anniversary. Hopefully they do SOMETHING for that date.
We've no guarantees, I'll give you that, but I'm struggling to think of 11 Capcom franchises that could be seeing new games this year.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wright is one of the few characters left that would bring my pure joy if included.

That said, when is the next Ace Attorney game coming out? I feel like its been a long time.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Wright is one of the few characters left that would bring my pure joy if included.

That said, when is the next Ace Attorney game coming out? I feel like its been a long time.
No idea. I think all we've gotten so far is "Capcom is working on a new Ace Attorney game for the Switch" and that's it.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm kind of putting all of my hopes on Phoenix right now. My other wants Shovel Knight and Zero didn't quite make it so Phoenix is all I have left.

Handy Man

Smash Ace

Ace Attorney is my favorite game series of all time, next to Smash. Phoenix Wright is the only character I would attempt to main if added. I feel like Ultimate already has a good line-up as is, and I'm happy that two long time requests of mine, Charizard and King K. Rool, both made it in eventually. With that said, I like Phoenix Wright as a character a lot too. His whole gimmick is that he's always in a hopeless situation, but is always looking for even the smallest mistake in order to convene the biggest turnabout. As a long time low-tier main in Smash, that clutch comeback factor heavily resonates with me. If there's any character that could be added that could pull hopelessness into success with a moveset, it would definitely be Phoenix Wright. That, alongside his likable personality, having to remember the facts and twist them constantly in his cases, and simply all of his games being amazing, he is the only character that would make me pop off super hard at this point.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Hello, kind of new here! I just discovered this thread.
Phoenix Wright has been my most wanted since I was around what? 14 years old? I even remember voting for him in the Smash Ballot during the Smash 4 days. Him being in Smash in some way is long-overdue, especially for the fact every AA game has been on a Nintendo console. For Phoenix to become a fighter, bringing along a stage, tracks and spirits with him would kind of give me internal peace in some way lol.
Talking about stages, I know courtroom no.2 as a stage is the most suggested, so how do you guys envision this stage working? Would the Judge be a hazard? I'd love if the prosecutors and detectives throughout the series were featured in some way. Would kill to see Godot and Gumshoe in 3D.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hello, kind of new here! I just discovered this thread.
Phoenix Wright has been my most wanted since I was around what? 14 years old? I even remember voting for him in the Smash Ballot during the Smash 4 days. Him being in Smash in some way is long-overdue, especially for the fact every AA game has been on a Nintendo console. For Phoenix to become a fighter, bringing along a stage, tracks and spirits with him would kind of give me internal peace in some way lol.
Talking about stages, I know courtroom no.2 as a stage is the most suggested, so how do you guys envision this stage working? Would the Judge be a hazard? I'd love if the prosecutors and detectives throughout the series were featured in some way. Would kill to see Godot and Gumshoe in 3D.
how old are you now?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
how old are you now?
I know you're not asking me, but I feel like this would be a good opportunity to talk about how long I played the Ace Attorney series.

I kinda heard of Ace Attorney before through Nintendo Power and the WiiWare releases, but I think what really got me interested in the series was the very first teaser for the Professor Layton crossover, back in 2010. At the time, I was 16 years old and was in junior year of high school. I have a childhood friend who was into Professor Layton, and neither of us had played Ace Attorney before, so we were both interested in playing Ace Attorney to prepare for the crossover. I played some Layton games, like Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy, but I got hooked into Ace Attorney instantly. As soon as I was about to finish the original trilogy, I immediately started searching for physical copies of Apollo Justice and Investigations, the only other games released for Ace Attorney at that time. Eventually, Dual Destinies got announced, and I was really hyped at the prospect of a brand new installment after having become a recent fan at the time. Over the years, I have played every game released since then, except for DGS2 due to the fan translation being unfinished. I am currently 25 years old, and am glad to have experienced such a wonderful series.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
how old are you now?
I've started my AA journey in 2014 by playing the DS versions on 3DS during a family road trip. I got the games because I was maybe considering doing something Law-related when I grew up, but it was the story and characters that got me hooked. It was my first Visual Novel, and I've fallen in love with both the franchise and genre ever since. The game has basically been a huge part of my late teens along with franchises like Yakuza and Pokémon.
I'm nearing 20 now, and I still love this franchise, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

I know you're not asking me, but I feel like this would be a good opportunity to talk about how long I played the Ace Attorney series.

I kinda heard of Ace Attorney before through Nintendo Power and the WiiWare releases, but I think what really got me interested in the series was the very first teaser for the Professor Layton crossover, back in 2010. At the time, I was 16 years old and was in junior year of high school. I have a childhood friend who was into Professor Layton, and neither of us had played Ace Attorney before, so we were both interested in playing Ace Attorney to prepare for the crossover. I played some Layton games, like Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy, but I got hooked into Ace Attorney instantly. As soon as I was about to finish the original trilogy, I immediately started searching for physical copies of Apollo Justice and Investigations, the only other games released for Ace Attorney at that time. Eventually, Dual Destinies got announced, and I was really hyped at the prospect of a brand new installment after having become a recent fan at the time. Over the years, I have played every game released since then, except for DGS2 due to the fan translation being unfinished. I am currently 25 years old, and am glad to have experienced such a wonderful series.
I went into the crossover without playing anything Professor Layton related beforehand lol. I just had a vague image of what the games were like through a close friend that was obsessed with the series. I always wanted to try the franchise out after playing the crossover, but I haven't really gotten to it yet.
It's cool to see how fans got into the series through different means. Ace Attorney really is such a charming series.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
First Ace Attorney I played was the first one when I was six. That's really not an age to be playing a game about solving murders, I don't know what I was thinking, but I turned out okay.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I first met the series with a trailer of Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, i was so interested in the Game. Unfortunately at the time i didn't own a 3DS, so i watched a Walktrought. I tried to play their games, and in the end i was more picked with Ace Attorney, i started to love the franchise. I even found that he was a playable character in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, and i was shocked since MVC1 and 2 were my childhood, i really liked Phoenix's moveset. Aaaaaand i tried to play every game at the same time, i ended spoiling a little myself since i didn't know that the series had some kind of continuity. Yes, i know that's really dumb, but it was the first time i even heard of the franchise. Eventually Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS came out, and the Ballot was announced, so guess who i was voting for? I've wanted him in Smash Brothers since then.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Just for reference, approximately when did everyone get into AA? January for me.
I originally played the first Ace Attorney title shortly after it was released on Wiiware.
Since then, I have every localized entry in the series including the crossover.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just for reference, approximately when did everyone get into AA? January for me.
I think I've been playing pretty much since the first DS game was released here in the west. I don't think I picked it up on launch day or anything but it was probably within the first year of its release at least.

For the longest time I didn't really consider Phoenix Wright or Ace Attorney for Smash, even when third parties started becoming more common. I feel like seeing Phoenix Wright do so well in polls and the exit poll for the ballot made me rethink how much I wanted Phoenix and Ace Attorney to be represented in Smash.

If (or when! woo confidence!) Isaac and Phoenix Wright get into Smash Bros that will pretty much* be my entire childhood wrapped up in terms of Smash.

* I say pretty much but there's always going to be some childhood stragglers.....like Bomberman or Spyro (or another huge franchise The Sims was also a huge part of my childhood but the chances of that franchise being represented aren't as high as they probably ought to be)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I know I got into Ace Attorney after goofing around the objection site (may it rest in peace), but I forget the exact year I got the first game on WiiWare. Might have been 2010 as I remember I was still in my last years of high school and I believe I still didn't have a PS3 at the time.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just finished The Great Ace Attorney and I really wanted to talk about it. There will be spoilers and it'll probably be pretty long.

Oh my God that game was so good! Like, maybe actually the best? I'd heard good things but I was still super pleasantly surprised.

Takumi once again proves he's the best at making Ace Attorney. He knows how to write a mystery where it isn't immediately obvious who the culprit is. After Spirit of Justice really suffered from the "2 witnesses, the one who did it and the one who didn't" formula, the fact that this game successfully uses red herrings, dialogue, and character design to mislead you is super refreshing. Honestly, it breaks from series tradition so often that you never know what to expect, it's amazing. On the second case I thought, "no way Nikomina did it, we still haven't made it to court", and BLAM it has no court section. An Ace Attorney case without a court section! And they made it work! And it just keeps going, from the centerpiece that is case 3 that quickly takes a turn for the sinister when you start realizing that something's off, to case 4 being a full-fledged case instead of the shortest one (and oh yeah, also nobody dies and it was an accident), and it all culminates in case 5 which is appropriately epic while not trying to crib other games' finales or making it too predictable. And it still feels like an adventure, where you're traveling to a new locale, and learning stuff and meeting people and the whole story has a clear arc while never letting the individual cases falter in service of it. You don't become an attorney until the fourth case for crying out loud!

I really, really dig the characters. Susato follows the series' tradition of incredible sidekicks, and she stands out from the cast by how understated she is, which is a clever twist on how the assistants usually are. Not gonna lie, when you find out she knows a lot more than she's letting on, it hurt. I was wary of the Sherlock Holmes characters and especially Iris, as I was afraid that they wouldn't fit, but they really made their own versions of the characters that fit in the universe while being true to the text (and in Iris' case, making her Watson's daughter was a very good call). van Zieks at first I thought was kinda bland, but the whole mystery of whether he's a serial killer kinda intrigued me and he's too much of a sore loser to be considered an Edgeworth clone. And I'm curious about where they're going to go with him given the ending. Asougi's just awesome and he has the coolest theme song. If I had to pick my favorite character it would be between Holmes and Hosonaga (I'll never forget how that maniac saved my ass on case 1). Shout outs to Gregson and Asougi though. Witness (and jury) design is top notch, and my favorites were probably the O'Malleys. Though I think the game might have relied a bit too much on "duo" characters like the O'Malleys, the Garridebs, and the Tinpillars, plus, like, Ladyfirst and Fairplay and those two guys from the first case.

Gameplay-wise, I'm reeeeally digging the new additions. I think the multi-witness testimonies could use a bit of inspiration from Apollo Justice because as it stands it's too obvious when you have to listen to another character. Or maybe make it so that sometimes branching off will lead to a useless line of questioning and get you penalized. But the Deductions were super stylish (anything that takes inspiration from Ghost Trick is fine in my book) and I enjoyed playing them - they're really a more complex version of the Logic Train, and that's one of my favorite things from AA5 and 6 so I'm all for it. And the closing argument clicks perfectly, not only does it change the way you play, but it also makes the cases ebb and flow drastically and it really makes the stakes super high as you don't know which turn in the case will plummet your standing with the jury.

I can't not mention the music. It's all bangers. Asougi's theme is super inspiring, Holmes' theme just adds to his wacky awesomeness, Gregson's like jazzy, and there's one other theme (which I suspect is Susato's?) that Ali gives me all the feels. I read somewhere that the soundtrack for this game won some awards and, yeah, deservedly so.

Anyway, I think that's about that. I probably missed a lot of things I wanted to say but it's a long post as is. Loved this game, and I can't wait to play the sequel.

By the way, I heard that there was a DLC case for this game, but since the fan translation's said to be complete with no mention of it, I'm confused. Is there one?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
put me down on that support list, i love ace attorney
i played the first one this year before the whole...ya know happened, and i absolutely loved it
he was also the character i was rooting for during the wild ride that was fighter 5 spec so yeah, he's definitely one of my most wanted characters right about now

Top Bottom