• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, as long as they give Sigurd something interesting enough, seeing how hard it's getting for Sak to keep the lords feeling fresh gameplay wise. If we get a Blazing remake after Binding, the same can apply for Elliwood. It would take a miracle for Lyn to get anything beyond AT status by that point.

On a different topic, it turns out the supposedly listed standalone physical ports for RE5 and 6 turned out to be fake after all.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...l_releases_of_resident_evil_5_and_6_on_switch

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Oh it wasn't so much something I implied as "we could get another FE rep", as they could have made an echo with Alm or Celica instead if they cared more about representing remakes, just a note from what I've heard about the future of the franchise atm. A brand new game, which feels like a likelier implication for yet another newcomer if DLC ain't done by then, doesn't seem to be in the cards for the nearby future at the least. I'll say Sigurd could have something like an inheritance mechanic and swap with Seliph or something to recreate skills given those are 2 of GotHW biggest schticks (besides stupid long maps), but I'd rather see that in a full fledged FE fighter than Smash for I think understandable reasons.
But putting FE asides, I'm surprised they don't seem interested to have something like a "mini-echo pack" to keep consumers entertained between the bigger releases. I don't care one way or another as there's like one potential echo I'd care about (ironically from FE), but it feels like it could be a mini-gold mine that isn't as time consuming as a brand new fighter with a stage, music tracks, etc.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can understand why they're reluctant on doing echoes; those tended to be treated negatively by fans before this game, even though they're intentional bonuses saved for the last phase of development since they're easier to do. However, I could see us getting newcomers that recycle some parts of earlier movesets with the rest of their moves being new (which is for the best, because it gets tiring of seeing fans determining who should be "derivative" enough to be an echo).

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I always like to say, one of the reasons I actually wanna see Phoenix in Smash, its for the exposure, its a bit selfish I know, but I genuinely want more people to try Ace Attorney, and maybe that way, Capcom will pay more attention to the franchise and start making/localizing new games.
I agree completely. Ace Attorney become one of my favorite game series of all time after completing the original trilogy, and I have since completed every game in the series except for DGS2. With that said, before I began with the first game, I just thought it seemed kind of weird and niche. It took a bit to warm up to the game, but by the time I completed case 4, I started to really love and appreciate the game and how satisfying it is to beat the odds, no matter how hopeless or desperate the situation seems to be. With how franchises like Persona and Dragon Quest earned new fans after their Smash appearances, it makes me confident that Ace Attorney will see a drastic increase in its playbase after having Phoenix Wright becoming a Smash fighter. I always felt like Ace Attorney would be more mainstream if more people got to play the game and enjoy it, but currently, it seems more niche than it should be in my opinion. Once people see how great the stories and characters are, as well as the rewarding gameplay of saving your clients against the ruthlessness of the court system, I'm sure some people might think "Why didn't I try this out earlier?" and realize that they were missing out on such a great game series. Hopefully Sakurai agrees with fighters pass two and helps Phoenix Wright with the exposure that he deserves.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I agree completely. Ace Attorney become one of my favorite game series of all time after completing the original trilogy, and I have since completed every game in the series except for DGS2. With that said, before I began with the first game, I just thought it seemed kind of weird and niche. It took a bit to warm up to the game, but by the time I completed case 4, I started to really love and appreciate the game and how satisfying it is to beat the odds, no matter how hopeless or desperate the situation seems to be. With how franchises like Persona and Dragon Quest earned new fans after their Smash appearances, it makes me confident that Ace Attorney will see a drastic increase in its playbase after having Phoenix Wright becoming a Smash fighter. I always felt like Ace Attorney would be more mainstream if more people got to play the game and enjoy it, but currently, it seems more niche than it should be in my opinion. Once people see how great the stories and characters are, as well as the rewarding gameplay of saving your clients against the ruthlessness of the court system, I'm sure some people might think "Why didn't I try this out earlier?" and realize that they were missing out on such a great game series. Hopefully Sakurai agrees with fighters pass two and helps Phoenix Wright with the exposure that he deserves.
This is why I'm confident they'll choose Phoenix over Dante and even Monster Hunter. DMC and MH got a massive new following after both DMC5 and World. Ace Attorney was left in the dust even after the trilogy re-release.

Krankees

Smash Ace
This is why I'm confident they'll choose Phoenix over Dante and even Monster Hunter. DMC and MH got a massive new following after both DMC5 and World. Ace Attorney was left in the dust even after the trilogy re-release.
DMC already got a freaking award. Ace Attorney needs a moment in the spotlight.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I assume it's Sakurai who had the final say because we did get characters like Joker and Terry. Thinking about it now, I'm not 100% certain.
Yeah those are the two outliers. Gah Smash speculation is so confusing sometimes. I think I'm starting to learn how Phoenix feels when things just don't add up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, I heard on TV Tropes that Byleth was allegedly kept in so much secret that even most parts of Nintendo weren't aware that they were in.

Yeah, this feels like such a Rashomon situation. Between this and Nitro-Fueled, leakers be trolled right now.

web4.jpg

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Last time, :ultmegaman:'s series was left in the dust before being confirmed.
To this day, I still can't express in words how grateful I am to Smash 4 (and of course Sakurai and Nintendo) for single handedly reviving the whole Mega Man franchise, people uncertain about his inclusion and the future of the IP, people happy to see this old gaming icon back, it was an absolute ride I tell ya!
Perhaps I don't remember exactly how things were back then, but Mega Man means so much to me it still feels unreal somehow.
Anyways... sorry for being off-topic, but I couldn't let this chance of expressing my love for the blue bomber slip away.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think the situation of the AA franchise or Phoenix being an underdog means much of anything for his chances, for better or worse. While the radio silence on the situation is a bummer, I don't think he's quite as comparable as MM during the Sm4sh days as he didn't get like 3-4 games canned (to our knowledge) nor was he ever recognized as a Capcom mascot to consider that situation so dire. I honestly felt worse about the series during the MEI2 days as there were no legal complications over getting that localized unlike the DGS games.
Sorry if this is a downer comment, but I don't think the series will get that much clout even if he gets in Smash, visual novels are inherently niche, not everyone has the interest or patience to be almost exclusively scrolling through text, and I imagine not everyone will find the overly dramatic japanese-esque writing to be their cup of tea. While Smash got FE localized, I don't think it ever saw succesful numbers until Awakening (much to my dismay as I far prefer the tone of the older games but eh), so it's probably more important to catter to a wider audience than have your character guest in the most succesful videogame crossover inb4 Ace Attorney incorporates dating sim aspects in AA7.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I may have waited forever to do this, but I’d like to be added to the support list. Thanks!

Krankees

Smash Ace
This is worrying.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This is worrying.

How so? I don't see how this is connected to Wright at all.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
How so? I don't see how this is connected to Wright at all.
It technically isn't, but it just solidifies that any random third-party can be given the Spirit Board treatment when we least expect it.

Until Wright becomes playable, all we can do right now is just keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to Ace Attorney.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It technically isn't, but it just solidifies that any random third-party can be given the Spirit Board treatment when we least expect it.

Until Wright becomes playable, all we can do right now is just keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to Ace Attorney.
I believe that was solidified when Resident Evil was spirited away on a random weekday.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

My thought process is that if a series like River City Ransom (Kunio) could get a spirit event, no series too big or too small could get one.
Yeah I thought we assumed this was the case already.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
If they somehow made a good Phoenix Mii Brawler in the same way they did Sans and Cuphead I'd be ok. Bummed and sad, but ok. I also suck horrifically at Mii Brawler though so IDK if it would get a ton of use and...... ok fine I'd be sad.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Pattern guessing has only got us so far even with mii costumes, but I'd like to imagine that if such fate awaits Phoenix it wont be shown until either we get a Capcom newcomer (be it Dante or whoever), or worse, we get no new Capcom characters period and he's just randomly dropped with whoever else. I dont think this spirit events shed any new light, we already saw 3rd parties with no other representation get spirits in the base game, spirits from 3rd parties randomly added events, and if we can get "smaller" ips as fighters (Terry), I dont see why the same couldnt go for spirits. Nothing has really changed IMO.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
If they somehow made a good Phoenix Mii Brawler in the same way they did Sans and Cuphead I'd be ok. Bummed and sad, but ok. I also suck horrifically at Mii Brawler though so IDK if it would get a ton of use and...... ok fine I'd be sad.
I feel like I'm only at all okay with Mii Fighter renditions of a character if that character would fight even remotely like that particular class of Mii Fighter were they to get in.

i.e.
Cuphead: Cool! He totally does fire projectiles from his fingertip as a primary means of combat, and the proportions are exactly right for him!
Phoenix: Not cool! Phoenix would break his legs trying to execute a burning drop kick and I highly doubt he could lift that shot put if he tried, let alone fighting by decking Mario clean in the face with an electrified punch. Additionally, there's no way you could get the proportions right for a normal human body, given the Mii Fighter's frame.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I don't think Ace Attorney is a good series to make a spirit event with the content we have currently in the game.

Many spirit references might need a courtoom stage or something similar to it. Which Smash doesn't have.

Also I can't think of any fighter at all in the game that could represent Phoenix himself.
There is truly no one that looks or could reference his style in the whole roster IMO, any ideas for that?

If you want to spirit board Devil May Cry. There you have multiple swordmen for Dante, Nero and Vergil and Bayonetta for Lady and multiple stages and heavyweight characters that can reference battle scenarios or demons from the series (Not that I want that to happen).

With Ace Attorney is easy to make spirits of some supporting characters, but if you can't represent the main character properly, then what's the point?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm only at all okay with Mii Fighter renditions of a character if that character would fight even remotely like that particular class of Mii Fighter were they to get in.

i.e.
Cuphead: Cool! He totally does fire projectiles from his fingertip as a primary means of combat, and the proportions are exactly right for him!
Phoenix: Not cool! Phoenix would break his legs trying to execute a burning drop kick and I highly doubt he could lift that shot put if he tried, let alone fighting by decking Mario clean in the face with an electrified punch. Additionally, there's no way you could get the proportions right for a normal human body, given the Mii Fighter's frame.
So far, I think all of the Mii Fighter costumes based on specific characters at least fit the costume type to some degree. Rex is a Swordfighter, the SNK costumes except for Nakoruru are all Brawlers, the Mega Man characters are all Gunners... even Sans kinda fits the Gunner since his arm is a reference to one of his attacks in his boss battle.

Phoenix Wright, as well as most of the main characters in the Ace Attorney series... don't fit any of the costume types, which is partially why I'm not expecting them to get the Mii Fighter costume treatment...

I don't think Ace Attorney is a good series to make a spirit event with the content we have currently in the game.

Many spirit references might need a courtoom stage or something similar to it. Which Smash doesn't have.

Also I can't think of any fighter at all in the game that could represent Phoenix himself.
There is truly no one that looks or could reference his style in the whole roster IMO, any ideas for that?

If you want to spirit board Devil May Cry. There you have multiple swordmen for Dante, Nero and Vergil and Bayonetta for Lady and multiple stages and heavyweight characters that can reference battle scenarios or demons from the series (Not that I want that to happen).

With Ace Attorney is easy to make spirits of some supporting characters, but if you can't represent the main character properly, then what's the point?
... nor am I expecting the Spirit Board treatment (even if the possibility is there... and frightening). The closest Phoenix Wright analogue I can think of for a Spirit Battle would be male Wii Fit Trainer, and even then it would be quite a stretch.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace

While I'm still going all in for a character spot, I could see Sonic being the character to use the Phoenix spirit only because they both have spikey hair pointing backwards

Top Bottom