• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

An Archie

Smash Cadet
Considering the pack specifically said 1 character, 1 stage, and multiple tracks that disconfirms Edgeworth and Apollo.

if Phoenix doesn't make it as DLC there's always next time! But for now just believe till the fat lady sings. If not, we still have a great roster.
I know this isn't directly related to Phoenix, but what do you think about them maybe giving us new echo fighters as free updates down the line, like they've done with Splatoon and ARMS?
And what you say about DLC is true. We don't even know if that fighter pass is the only DLC we're getting, so fingers crossed!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Phoenix/Apollo surviving the light of doom would be oh so befitting humor from this series.

Mr. Wright, are you ok?!
"Yeah, I just sprained my ankle"

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phoenix/Apollo surviving the light of doom would be oh so befitting humor from this series.

Mr. Wright, are you ok?!
"Yeah, I just sprained my ankle"
Athena would just hip-toss the light after it snuck up on her.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Has there been any sighting of a Capcom series not playable in spirits yet?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sorry for the double post, but knowing that Shulk and Pit change hair color based on a few palettes - would Phoenix get the same treatment?

He'd obviously get the Godot hair if Mahvel is anything to go by, but would he get the Edgeworth shades? The brown for Apollo? Or dare I say it...the orange from Athena?

I cannot even imagine red-head Phoenix...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think there has been a Monster Hunter sighted, if I recall correctly.
Hmmm, well Monster Hunter seems like it will be solely represented by Rathalos...which makes sense considering the monsters are the draw of the franchise.

That leaves Dante, Chun-Li, Okami, and a RE character as our likely Capcom opponents. Since the DLC was decided fairly early on that might mean DMC5 will have no say on his chances. Can't deny that Dante and Leon/Chris/Jill are more iconic though.

Although the anime and Spirit of Justice would be fresh on their minds at the time. Hmm...

Chun-Li would make sense too but I suppose it depends if they only want to focus on Street Fighter content for this game.

Amaraetsu is probably on equal footing as us, but I'd be surprised if it was selected above all of those.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hmmm, well Monster Hunter seems like it will be solely represented by Rathalos...which makes sense considering the monsters are the draw of the franchise.

That leaves Dante, Chun-Li, Okami, and a RE character as our likely Capcom opponents. Since the DLC was decided fairly early on that might mean DMC5 will have no say on his chances. Can't deny that Dante and Leon/Chris/Jill are more iconic though.

Although the anime and Spirit of Justice would be fresh on their minds at the time. Hmm...

Chun-Li would make sense too but I suppose it depends if they only want to focus on Street Fighter content for this game.

Amaraetsu is probably on equal footing as us, but I'd be surprised if it was selected above all of those.
Apparently one of Ryu's fights in Classic is against Zero Suit Samus with Chun's music playing in Onett, obviously a reference to SF2, so I feel that possibly takes her off the table.

(On a side note, hearing that immediately made Classic sound like the coolest thing ever to me. Can't wait.)

I feel like Jill or Leon are our biggest rivals in the Capcom sphere since MonHun has rep, Ameratasu is possible but a little more obscure, and Viewtiful Joe ain't happening. If they wanted to add another Street Fighter, Bison or Chun would've interrupted the Ken trailer, IMO. I love SF's characters so this isn't me trying to get anyone's hopes down or up, just what in seeing.

I wouldn't place a bet on Phoenix's chances. That said, Spirit of Justice was in development, it's an iconic series, and Capcom is already on board and seem to be along with Konami the most cooperative third-parties. We may see a turnabout yet.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Apparently one of Ryu's fights in Classic is against Zero Suit Samus with Chun's music playing in Onett, obviously a reference to SF2, so I feel that possibly takes her off the table.

(On a side note, hearing that immediately made Classic sound like the coolest thing ever to me. Can't wait.)

I feel like Jill or Leon are our biggest rivals in the Capcom sphere since MonHun has rep, Ameratasu is possible but a little more obscure, and Viewtiful Joe ain't happening. If they wanted to add another Street Fighter, Bison or Chun would've interrupted the Ken trailer, IMO. I love SF's characters so this isn't me trying to get anyone's hopes down or up, just what in seeing.

I wouldn't place a bet on Phoenix's chances. That said, Spirit of Justice was in development, it's an iconic series, and Capcom is already on board and seem to be along with Konami the most cooperative third-parties. We may see a turnabout yet.
Honestly I think Dante is the more likely candidate. He has a moveset tailor made for Smash and he's an addition that would excite the gaming community more than Chris/Leon/Jill. He simply has a more flashy personality and potential than the trio of protagonists.

If I had to rank them in terms of likelihood:

1. Dante
2. Chris/Leon/Jill
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Amaeretsu
5. Chun Li/Another Street Fighter character
6. Other very unlikely candidates like Viewtiful Joe.

There's always Sakurai meeting Shu Takumi alongside Kamiya in 2016. If Sakurai were to add Phoenix he would 100% go see Takumi for the character's moveset and personality. He may not be involved in the games anymore, but he's the series' father and his creator. Unfortunately I doubt it was about Smash, but hey who knows?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly I think Dante is the more likely candidate. He has a moveset tailor made for Smash and he's an addition that would excite the gaming community more than Chris/Leon/Jill. He simply has a more flashy personality and potential than the trio of protagonists.

If I had to rank them in terms of likelihood:

1. Dante
2. Chris/Leon/Jill
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Amaeretsu
5. Chun Li/Another Street Fighter character
6. Other very unlikely candidates like Viewtiful Joe.

There's always Sakurai meeting Shu Takumi alongside Kamiya in 2016. If Sakurai were to add Phoenix he would 100% go see Takumi for the character's moveset and personality. He may not be involved in the games anymore, but he's the series' father and his creator. Unfortunately I doubt it was about Smash, but hey who knows?
I don't mind Dante. I just always forget about him because he wasn't on Nintendo except for X Zone. One of the selling points of the previously-GameCube-exclusive Viewtiful Joe when it came to PS2 was that you could unlock Dante.

Plus, the character action genre is represented by Bayonetta. Now, yeah, that's a fan rule but it's still important when considering character playstyles. I do think Dante is a threat, but I don't think he's necessarily likely. About equal with Phoenix in my eyes in that we probably won't get either.

Great points, though. This is fun, I had totally forgotten Dante.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Let's not forget, in addition to Takumi meeting Sakurai in a time frame that's perfect for the DLC to have been discussed (especially considering that Hideki Kamiya was there too), we also have anotherevidence bit given to us by Capcom themselves in addition the anime: the upcoming ports.

Which of course, are also coming to the Switch next year! And assuming that the new game will be announced if not released next year too, then it's the perfect lineup.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Let's not forget, in addition to Takumi meeting Sakurai in a time frame that's perfect for the DLC to have been discusssed (especially considering that Hideki Kamiya was there too), we also have one evidence bit given to us by Capcom themselves in addition the anime: the upcoming ports.
The trilogy coming to Switch does help out somewhat (despite the fact Xbone, PS4, and Steam are getting it too) but the series was always on Nintendo consoles exclusively until now. It doesn't change anything.

Capcom's idea of a "great year for Ace Attorney fans" was the 2nd season of an average to decent anime and games we already played on next-gen consoles. That's what Capcom thinks will excite us.

There's also the rumour of the five DLC characters being planned for base roster but delayed due to time constraints, but I am unsure if that's still standing or not. If true, that might explain the lacklustre dose of good news for us....maybe?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The trilogy coming to Switch does help out somewhat (despite the fact Xbone, PS4, and Steam are getting it too) but the series was always on Nintendo consoles exclusively until now. It doesn't change anything.
The point is that it goes both ways in advertising and getting the series more on the map. Phoenix Wright being in Smash might get more Switch owners to buy the trilogy, and the trilogy being made more popular with the ports would facilitate Phoenix being recognized wider and make Smash buyers all the more eager to purchase him as DLC.
There's also the rumour of the five DLC characters being planned for base roster but delayed due to time constraints, but I am unsure if that's still standing or not. If true, that might explain the lacklustre dose of good news for us....maybe?
OH! Where's this news coming from??That would certainly explain the lack of the amazing news they claimed to have.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The point is that it goes both ways in advertising and getting the series more on the map. Phoenix Wright being in Smash might get more Switch owners to buy the trilogy, and the trilogy being made more popular with the ports would facilitate Phoenix being recognized wider and make Smash buyers all the more eager to pruchase him as DLC.

OH! Where's this news coming from??That would certainly explain the lack of the amazing news they claimed to have.
It was supposedly from the Japanese Direct saying that, but honestly it seems farfetched because it took two days for anyone to realize it? Don't believe it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So, from whom did they hear it? Or was it all a bout of interpretation and/or translation that came later??
Sakurai himself during the Direct, boi.

But that rumour just completely vanished and haven't heard of it since.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Sakurai himself during the Direct, boi.

But that rumour just completely vanished and haven't heard of it since.
Wait, did Sakurai actually say that the DLCs were characters delayed, or is this just someone's interpretation/translation of it? I assume the latter, otherwise, it wouldn't be a rumor.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
That's a possibility that I was also thinking of, the big news could of been phoenix for smash but they didn't know he'd be pushed back to DLC (would Capcom be privy on who is DLC and who is base that early on?). Although can't know for sure if that is how smash operates or not.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Although I just remembered that the DMC producer said that Dante won't be in the game. DLC being planned early perhaps may disconfirm him out of the running?

All this speculation for a small chance Phoenix will pop up :p

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I would love nothing more than Phoenix overcoming the odds and beating out Dante, monster hunter, or Leon Kennedy for the spot of next capcom rep
He absolutely deserves it

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Put me down as a supporter! Ace Attorney is my favorite game series, and Phoenix Wright is my favorite video game character, period.

Funnily enough, I got into Ace Attorney ten years ago BECAUSE of Smash! I saw a lot of posts talking about him, and decided to dig into the series myself. I was instantly hooked after the first game, and bought the other three games (at the time) immediately after beating it.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Not owned by them.
No upcoming promotions.
Not a big name.
Depends. They've been tightly knitted with it. Sure, it's becoming multi-platform, but who's to say they haven't struck a deal with Capcom for the exclusive stuff?

Also, positively speaking, this would mean that unless DMC5 is coming to the Switch, we can check the front-liner Dante off the competition.

Also, Ace Attorney is a name that people recognize, make no mistake. Moreso even in Japan and it's one that's placed well in polls.

Also, in regards to not being owned by them, let's not forget the speculation that most of these DLC characters are 3rd party.

It would certainly also explain Hideki Kamiya being present alongside Sakurai when visiting Takumi. Let's remember, Sakurai is no stranger to consulting a character's creator head-on when he can.

If anything, this news has increased my hopes.

I mean, considering the Capcom franchises that Nintendo are better known for and familiar, Ace Attorney is up there.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I really can't see it. Nintendo will be aiming for their own franchises more than anything, or larger third parties that are selling in high amounts on their systems. They are a business after all.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I really can't see it. Nintendo will be aiming for their own franchises more than anything, or larger third parties that are selling in high amounts on their systems. They are a business after all.
Depends on the perspective of selling and what's been with them consistently enough too. For games of their caliber, the Ace Attorney games sell quite well. And if it's timed with the historic moment where the series is gonna be on all consoles across the board, it's the perfect cross-marketing for a series already selling well enough on Nintendo devices.

Considering how Nintendo themselves were gracious enough in helping localize and support the crossover, I think it's safe to say that they hold some notable level of respect for the series.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Guess we'll find out but I went from having a glimmer of hope to it crashing down substantially. Although I guess one way to view it that if they do pick a Capcom character surely we're ahead of everyone now?

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I dunno, when the Grinch leak popped up, much of the fanbase was "INCINEROAR DECUNFIRMED!!!"

And look what happened.

I'm not giving up on Phoenix because the only time a lawyer can cry is when it is all over. And it is far from over, fellow supporters.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Guess we'll find out but I went from having a glimmer of hope to it crashing down substantially. Although I guess one way to view it that if they do pick a Capcom character surely we're ahead of everyone now?
For sure, If it were gonna be Monster Hunter. they'd have done it earlier closer to the Switch game's release. Resident Evil? Ehhh, there's the issue with the realistic weaponry of the protagonists. Dante? Again, if Nintendo are in for the business that would need to come with a Switch port of DMC5 or something crazy like Project x Zone 3 featuring him! XD

Yep, I'd say we're at the front of the Capcom contending train.

I mean, we still have that meeting between Sakurai, Hideki and Shu Takumi as well. Far more than anyone else has. Maybe if they were common buddies we could chakl it up to a coincidence, but I've heard nothing of the sort.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not owned by them.
No upcoming promotions.
Not a big name.
Funny, I can’t imagine Nintendo picking their own characters for DLC. I envision it being either promotional picks (unlikely if Rex and Spring Man are out) or purely third parties (because corporate decisions would dictate that’s what would sell).

This actually bodes well for PW in my eyes. Ace Attorney 7 will definitely happen, and will likely come between 2019 and 2020; it will definitely be announced within the DLC period.

And Phoenix Wright is a big name, make no mistake. I’d argue he’s more recognizable to the average gamer than even Dante. He definitely has the requests to back him up.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And Phoenix Wright is a big name, make no mistake. I’d argue he’s more recognizable to the average gamer than even Dante. He definitely has the requests to back him up
Hmmm, Dante's series did have quite a bit of down time between 4 and 5. While Phoenix's ironically enough, came back around the time of 2013 and has been running consistently enough in the public eye, between new games' re-releases, ports and the new anime.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I guess we can start debating on whether or not Phoenix would be included in their "Selection of fighters" since the tweet clearly states Nintendo gave him a list of fighters and he got to pick five to work with.

I'd say...yes? Ace Attorney is one of the few Capcom IPs that are prominently on Nintendo (exclusively until this year) and sell enough to warrant discussion.

Did Sakurai pick him? Eeeeh, I guess it depends if Sakurai sees him as a stand out among the choices? He did meet Takumi, so that's still in play. But the tweet said the "line up is now complete" meaning the meeting all the way back in 2016 might me moot. Then again, they did say it would be a big year for us...but Capcom have a warped view on what is big for us...

I still say this is bad for us but I suppose it is not entirely hopeless.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Sakurai specifically said that this time Nintendo chose the DLC-characters, not he himself. Doesn't this contradict the "Takumi met Sakurai to discuss Phoenix for Smash" - theory? Imo this doesn't sound good :(

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Sakurai specifically said that this time Nintendo chose the DLC-characters, not he himself. Doesn't this contradict the "Takumi met Sakurai to discuss Phoenix for Smash" - theory? Imo this doesn't sound good :(
No, if anything, it supports it. Especially considering Hideki Kamiya was there.

Sakurai likes to get as much info on his fighters as he can.

Also
Interesting timing. And what on earth could be new concerning that trilogy? Quite intriguing.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Depends on when this selection was made.

If Phoenix was on the list and he was selected, Sakurai would go see Takumi to properly represent the character.

Sakurai hinted that Ultimate started development too early for Rex. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out in December 2017 but concept art showed up in January 2017. This at least might pinpoint DLC being planned in 2016.

Incineroar's concept art was leaked in June 2016 but revealed October 2016. Since the art was done in June that means Sakurai had a rough idea of Incineroar in spring 2016 to include him into the base roster.

This may leave early 2016 to November/December 2016 (at most) as the DLC window.

I am not sure when they met, but depending on timing it could be helpful knowledge. Of course, they could simply be hanging out as friends. But knowing Sakurai as a friend certainly had its benefits in the past with Kojima.

We're probably reading too much into it, heh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom