• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Take Number 5 - the singing Pokemon takes stage! Jigglypuff Discussion

Should Jigglypuff have a moveset change?

• Total voters

Shyningfade

Smash Rookie
It kind of looks like Sing has an upward jump effect, so it gives her yet another jump. This would also made it possible to gimp Rosalina's recovery in a hilarious way. What's next? Angled pound?

Or maybe that guy just really wanted to pull off a jumping sing and did so with the quickness.

Last edited:

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
It kind of looks like Sing has an upward jump effect, so it gives her yet another jump. This would also made it possible to gimp Rosalina's recovery in a hilarious way. What's next? Angled pound?

Or maybe that guy just really wanted to pull off a jumping sing and did so with the quickness.
I'm leaning toward the latter, even though I want the former to be true.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I believe Sing is buffed to some extend!

did some counting on the frames, it actually looks like the Sing hitbox will be active on Frame 16! (thats the frame when the music notes appears)
Frame 16 is Huge! especially when compared to Smash 4s of frame 29!
if its Frame 16, its as fast as Marios FSmash in Smash4!
but since no one was put to sleep on the first hitbox, this is all speculation for now

did some more counting and it looks like the whole animation is 160 frames which is 20 frames faster than Smash4 FAF.
speaking of FAF, it looks like the FAF in Ultimate is gonna be 130 frames. this is speculation since the jigglypuff didnt move at all after sing and a short while after.

another buff I think is potential is that the hitbox will be constant active when used.
since 64, the Sing had 3 hitboxes that were active and in sync with the effect: when the effect were visible, so were the hitbox.
in ultimate however, the singing effect were always visible! in theory, the hitbox should always be active!

while its not the buff everyone wants, a buff is still a buff

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Here's a list of changes I found on the wiki, these are subject to change:

Aesthetics
  • As with all veterans returning from SSB4, Jigglypuff's model features a more subdued color scheme. It more closely resembles its appearance in recent mainline Pokémon titles as a result. Only its irises have retained some of their vibrancy, and they are more detailed than they were previously.
  • Jigglypuff is slightly more expressive, for example, now smiling when using certain neutral attacks as it did in games prior to SSB4 rather than looking surprised.
  • Jigglypuff's ears now fold slightly inward when using Rollout or Rest.
  • Side taunt is now much faster.
Attributes
  • Like all characters, Jigglypuff's jumpsquat animation now takes three frames to complete.
Ground Attacks
  • Jigglypuff has a new dash attack animation, with its face angled more towards the screen and its limbs more elegantly spread out. The move itself travels further and appears to have decreased ending lag.
Aerial Attacks
Special Moves
  • When using an uncharged Rollout, Jigglypuff will only roll once, significantly speeding up the animation. This improves its safety.
  • Pound now goes a further distance when used on the ground and air.
  • Sing covers more range.
  • Rest now activates a dramatic slow motion effect upon hitting.
  • Puff Up is now faster than the previous games. When it ends, Jigglypuff aesthetically "pops", and then deflates to normal size, mimicking a balloon. It also has an angry expression while inflating, resembling the face the Jigglypuff from the anime makes when someone falls asleep. Additionally, Jigglypuff shrinks much faster at the end.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
All I want is faster aerials, longer range, and less ending lag! In my opinion the only game where I couldn't enjoy playing as Jigglypuff is Smash 4 because she just felt too stiff.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
some buffs I actually hope Sings get! not all of them but potential buffs I wanna see

• Sing can put Airborn enemies to sleep (Like Peach Final Smash and Darkrai can do)
    • imaging the true potential of edgeguarding you can do! like hitting the 2Frame on ledgegrab and blocking potential "Ledgedrop to Second Jump" attempt
  • Base Knockback is increased but Knockback Growth is less
    • The Knockback is set on how long the enemies will sleep, the lower knockback the shorter sleeptime.
      if the Base Knockback is bigger, that means you can put enemies to sleep earlier for longer time
  • Mashing Buttons cant wake you up faster/is heavily nerfed
    • basically making that if you do hit one you will be able to punish properly without having to see the chance slip away because the sing is so long

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
some buffs I actually hope Sings get! not all of them but potential buffs I wanna see

• Sing can put Airborn enemies to sleep (Like Peach Final Smash and Darkrai can do)
    • imaging the true potential of edgeguarding you can do! like hitting the 2Frame on ledgegrab and blocking potential "Ledgedrop to Second Jump" attempt
  • Base Knockback is increased but Knockback Growth is less
    • The Knockback is set on how long the enemies will sleep, the lower knockback the shorter sleeptime.
      if the Base Knockback is bigger, that means you can put enemies to sleep earlier for longer time
  • Mashing Buttons cant wake you up faster/is heavily nerfed
    • basically making that if you do hit one you will be able to punish properly without having to see the chance slip away because the sing is so long
I support these, but I can only see the Middle one happening.

D

Deleted member

These aerials look better. I'm excited. I think the counterpick potential is gonna be solid. Maybe not as good as Melee Puff, but I don't think she's a joke character anymore. it just warms my heart.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
If she still turns out to be ridiculously weak, we all need to politely send Sakurai our concerns in japanese because clearly if we don't, changes won't happen in the slightest (just like in Smash 4).

Even Hungrybox was hyping for them to buff her during Smash 4 era but the Smash team did NOTHING (Which could be due to lack of direct communication)

is there a japanese translation for #buffthepuff?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If she still turns out to be ridiculously weak, we all need to politely send Sakurai our concerns in japanese because clearly if we don't, changes won't happen in the slightest (just like in Smash 4).

Even Hungrybox was hyping for them to buff her during Smash 4 era but the Smash team did NOTHING (Which could be due to lack of direct communication)

is there a japanese translation for #buffthepuff?
Evidently there's always gonna be a worst character. Puff has just been unlucky lately. Sakurai, although an extremely generous man can be a petty one if he's bothered by certain feedback. An example being the Waluigi fans. I think it's in our best interest as a community to swallow what we receive but still be noticeable as a player base. Of course all of this I'm saying is to be taken with a grain of salt because I do believe she will be better.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
thought about some more buffs Jigglypuff could use, this time on her Rollout:

• If fully charged Rollout: grant her "heavy armor" so she can go through weaker projectiles and clank with heavier attacks (like FSmashes) yet doesnt win against too strong attacks (Warlock Punch, Ganon Uptilt, Falcon Punch etc). this would make her being able to deal with zoners more even with her slow speed
  • Turning around with Rollout should be faster (think like Yoshis SideB fast)
  • Let her "jump"/"bounce" during Rollout (Like Yoshis SideB and Sonic Spin Dash)
  • if she hit something: let her act out from it at the peak of her "bounce"
    • Since many are getting "doesnt put to special fall anymore" when using other specials (DK B, Zeldas SideB, Ness B etc), its only logical that she gets the same treatment. otherwise its unfair
if she gets the last one, Rollout would be such a bigger movement option and a better option in general.
she would be able to recover in air if she hits something offstage and she would be able to follow up with someone if she hits the fully charge one

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I know this is kinda necroposting and double post.

but with the direct, we got Ultimate treehouse gameplay and one of the matches actually had Jigglypuff in the match!!
sadly it was not a 1v1, it was a 8p match with stage shifting.

what I found out:
  • as long as your Rollout doesnt have any hitbox (charging more than 50%), it will only do one roll
    • this was brought up when you miss click rollout with minimun charge on her Character Trailer. this now effect every roll except for nearly and fully charge
  • Reworked Dash Animation, but works the same as smash4
  • Reworked Pummel Animation
  • More expressful rolls, especially back roll
  • (might be placebo) Her Fallspeed is increased and her Double Jumps lets her jump higher
  • A Fully Charge Rollout recovers *real* fast if you hit someone (double as fast as Smash4, especially if the statement above is true)
  • Rest will trigger the "Special camera closeup" at any %
    • with no values, I think the Knockback growth is higher on rest, it should kill earlier than expected
thats what I recall from the memory, I need to find the match recorded and uploaded on youtube to be able to look frame by frame

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Fully Charge Rollout recovers *real* fast if you hit someone (double as fast as Smash4, especially if the statement above is true)
I don't suppose this counts for shield too? Not that it would probably make be unpunishable anyway but it might make the punish less severe

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
>Big bad of Ultimate is named Galeem
>Gleam
>Dazzling Gleam
>Has Fairy-esque Wings
>Attack is a giant rainbow, like any massive fairy type death beam should be like
>Jigglypuff was never shown dying or on camera with the other fighters at any point
Jigglypuff is Galeem and really, they all deserved it, this is what they get for NEVER sharing their buffs!

Imagine if Jigglypuff really is the main villain lol

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
all characters are going to be playable soon to the public before the game's release and i'm thrilled. They didn't care to show much of Jigglypuff at all in Smash promo's or direct's. Its disappointing but i just hope she will actually not suck.

If it weren't for players like Hungrybox, i'd feel that her visibility in the Smashverse would be worse.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
okay, I found the match on youtube: https://youtu.be/3Wr5DQMNwyY?t=440
(have it timestamped where it begins)

2 things to note as I am watching it to focus on jigglypuff:
  • Jigglypuffs run speed is MUCH faster
  • Jigglypuff speed when jumping up is also much faster
  • rest SEEMS faster, with a 0.5 to 1 whole second
that was frustrating to watch. the guy did nothing but rollouts :/

could have shown off some aerials or grabs at least.

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
okay, I found the match on youtube: https://youtu.be/3Wr5DQMNwyY?t=440
(have it timestamped where it begins)

2 things to note as I am watching it to focus on jigglypuff:
  • Jigglypuffs run speed is MUCH faster
  • Jigglypuff speed when jumping up is also much faster
  • rest SEEMS faster, with a 0.5 to 1 whole second
Am I crazy or does Puff's f-tilt now trip? See 31:30

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
From what I could see from the match rest seems to initially do 21 damage and the flower damage is about 22, so rest does 43 damage in total. See 35:20. It seems Puff will still be a trash pick this time around

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
From what I could see from the match rest seems to initially do 21 damage and the flower damage is about 22, so rest does 43 damage in total. See 35:20. It seems Puff will still be a trash pick this time around
might be, but we can still hope!

Ganondorf lost his good UAir and his SideB, but gained so much buffs in other areas so that he is considered really high tier.
if this is needed to make jigglypuff much more viable fighter, then so be it!

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
doesn't being in a 8 player match change the type of damage you put out?

But imo, they don't know what they're doing with her. I'm still trying to understand the point of the pound nerf in the last game.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

But imo, they don't know what they're doing with her. I'm still trying to understand the point of the pound nerf in the last game.
Was the match more than a 1v1? If so then it was already confirmed that damage for all characters is reduced when not fighting in a 1v1.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Was the match more than a 1v1? If so then it was already confirmed that damage for all characters is reduced when not fighting in a 1v1.
i thought so, i guess we won't know until someone plays her (in 1v1) at one of the upcoming Smash Events

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii

That's true but the damage values don't really change immensely in 1v1s. The damage in 1v1s is 1.2x if I recall correctly so Puff will deal about 51.6 total damage with rest.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i dont suppose we've seen any of her alt costumes yet?

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
I just remembered something HUGE. Recoveries in this game are absolute TRASH for the most part (e.g. magnet hands reduced heavily) and guess what Puff is good at the most? Yes, edge-guarding. In Smash 4 edge-guarding was very weak because recoveries were so good, so maybe Puff will shine this time.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
i thought so, i guess we won't know until someone plays her (in 1v1) at one of the upcoming Smash Events
Basically. No way to really tell of the character’s strengths and weaknesses until there’s footage of Puff in 1v1

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
Hope we get more buff news today.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff is going to be low mid at worst thanks to air dodge nerfs (which benefit her bullying people offstage) and a heigher floor for rage alone

Edit: one of the comment chains on Tweek's Twitter says Puff can combo bair into bair

Edit 2: Puff main from 64-early Brawl who dropped Puff in Smash 4 very early due to her lackluster options, and looking forward to how she fares in Ultimate

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Jigglypuff is going to be low mid at worst thanks to air dodge nerfs and a heigher floor for rage alone

Edit: one of the comment chains on Tweek's Twitter says Puff can combo bair into bair
Air dodge nerfs are actually good news for Jigglypuff. Now its opponents are less capable of escaping the wall of pain.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
i dont suppose we've seen any of her alt costumes yet?
She retains the same costumes from Smash 4. Which is weird because Pikachu got new female costumes (as opposed to the all male ones it had before) but Jiggs still has all the old feminine costumes (aside from the gender neutral Green Sleep Cap)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like how they've made her even more expressive, Smash 4 already did a great job with this, but she's absolutely amazing now. New animations for Dash Attack and F-Smash are also very good.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
OH MY LORD
Jigglypuff moves like pudding!! It's so smooth and cute!! Even if this character isn't good she actually looks fun to play unlike Smash 4 Puff (in my opinion)! Future buffs and nerfs can still happen!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don’t know if this is just the game’s speed, but Jigglypuff seems to run a lot faster than she did before, like she’s putting those little legs to use.

Also, her dash attack is hilarious when it’s the finishing blow. Imagine how it must feel to be defeated by a faceplant.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Hello,

Anyone know if there's an Ultimate Jigglypuff Discord? I've been looking around for the past few weeks to no result. I'm not sure if posting invite links or discussion about other messaging platforms is allowed. Any sort of information about the topic would be helpful!

Thank you!

Top Bottom