• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Take Number 5 - the singing Pokemon takes stage! Jigglypuff Discussion

Should Jigglypuff have a moveset change?

• Total voters

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Well depends on the site in addition to that. I didn't have any stats on who is the least or most played, but I actually found one where Charizard was listed below Lucario and another that had both Jigglypuff and Charizard below.
and funnily enough, you didn't even post them (and i doubt any of them are reliable)

Here are the stats. They took the character usage from the most used mode in Smash 4. These are stats taken from the actual game and not just "tournament usage/winrates" like most sites will lead you to.

Source: https://np.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/5psplk/metagame_trends_illustrated_through_analysis_of/

Lucario consistently gets played less than every pokemon in the game. Hitting the twice as uncommon mark (which is -1 btw) more than every pokemon in the game week by week

Whatever irrelevant s**t about "nostalgia" is only your own opinion (which means NOTHING). Jigglypuff is relevant, relevant to people who play Smash. If she wasn't relevant, she'd be the last one picked on a daily basis.

Jigglypuff is technically the worst character in the game and still gets played more than Lucario. Really says something lol

summary: Statistics >>>>>>>>>>>>> feelings/opinions/being butthurt about generation 1

This "Jigglypuff is most likely getting cut" mumbo jumbo is based on saltyness over not seeing their personal favorite pokemon being included. People would rather push a false narrative than use data from the Smash 4 game itself to proclaim why she needs to go. Lucario being a legendary pokemon (and being more "relevant" in the pokemon series) surely didn't help him in the least lol.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Lucario consistently gets played less than every pokemon in the game. Hitting the twice as uncommon mark (which is -1 btw) more than every pokemon in the game week by week

Whatever irrelevant s**t about "nostalgia" is only your own opinion (which means NOTHING). Jigglypuff is relevant, relevant to people who play Smash. If she wasn't relevant, she'd be the last one picked on a daily basis.

Jigglypuff is technically the worst character in the game and still gets played more than Lucario. Really says something lol

summary: Statistics >>>>>>>>>>>>> feelings/opinions/being butthurt about generation 1

This "Jigglypuff is most likely getting cut" mumbo jumbo is based on saltyness over not seeing their personal favorite pokemon being included. People would rather push a false narrative than use data from the Smash 4 game itself to proclaim why she needs to go. Lucario being a legendary pokemon (and being more "relevant" in the pokemon series) surely didn't help him in the least lol.
From what I read of it, the data is pulled from Anther's Ladder which is a site where people sign up to for Smash matches and such. In other words, this data is not from the entire Smash community? And also to mention, this data is from the more competitive side of the game that went out of their way to join a site in regards to it. AKA, this is merely a portion of the fanbase and this is a portion of the fanbase that is highly swayed by both Pros and Tiers. (the article you linked even touched on the swaying)

And yep, the two sites I found are also not good indicators of the entire community as well.
A smaller Anther? https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/983071984832696320
And Tourneys https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/70kmuu/win_rate_and_play_rate_of_every_character_since/

Even so looking at your link as the absolute closest to the truth we can gather...

Looking at more than just these ones you posted reveal the sorry state of almost the entire roster. Many characters have similar stats to Lucario including Olimar, Miis, Lucina, Zelda, WFT, Wario, Pit, Peach, Palutena, Pacman, G&W, Metaknight, and Duck Hunt. I'm not sold this info is the golden ticket for Jigglypuff or the exit door sign for Lucario. Cause again, Jigglypuff has been in the low priority category for her Smash career. On top of that, Charizard really isn't in a good spot himself. So while I can see the data as evidence in Jigglypuff's favor, I don't think it works for Charizard who is struggling himself.

And to be quite honest, throwing around "saltyness over not seeing their personal favorite Pokemon" and "being butthurt about generation 1" lowers your side of the conversation to merely insult throwing contests. Funny enough, one of my personal favorite Pokemon will not be in Smash and was from Generation 1. (Gengar)

I'd still prefer no Pokemon cuts and we gain 1-2 new ones. (one on base, one as DLC for Gen 8) Not sure why our community is blood thirsty in regards to Pokemon. I feel we really do have a solid roster for them now. None of them are joke clones or heavy on the system 3 character transformation that wasn't well received.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Cause again, Jigglypuff has been in the low priority category for her Smash career. On top of that, Charizard really isn't in a good spot himself.
trust me when i say that this is the most reliable character usage out there. No other comes close to representing the Smash community like Anther's Ladder. These are the people that stick around with this game for the past few years as opposed to a casual who will abandon it after a month or so, playing infrequently.

and she's "low priority" but got in over Mewtwo in Brawl lmao.

trust me when i say Nintendo is reading the statistics/data that is out there and are seeing that Lucario is the clear deadweight among all the pokemon in the roster. They're not going to keep him when Mewtwo returned bigger and way more popular than him

they also will take notice of amiibo sales. Jigglypuff in fact broke a sales record at Target with her amiibo.

To me this is a clear sign that Lucario is getting the BOOT and Jigglypuff is here to stay. Generation 1 haters are merely jealous about their flop generation not showing up and i think that is sad that they have to come in this thread and take out their anger/issues on a pink puffball that is doing nothing wrong except being loved by the Smash community.

Charizard is still in a better spot for sure. He hit the twice as uncommon mark 40 times while Lucario hit it about 78, which is almost twice as much as Charizard. Lucario is the least liked by the Smash community.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
trust me when i say that this is the most reliable character usage out there. No other comes close to representing the Smash community like Anther's Ladder. These are the people that stick around with this game for the past few years as opposed to a casual who will abandon it after a month or so, playing infrequently.

and she's "low priority" but got in over Mewtwo in Brawl lmao.

trust me when i say Nintendo is reading the statistics/data that is out there and are seeing that Lucario is the clear deadweight among all the pokemon in the roster. They're not going to keep him when Mewtwo returned bigger and way more popular than him

they also will take notice of amiibo sales. Jigglypuff in fact broke a sales record at Target with her amiibo.

To me this is a clear sign that Lucario is getting the BOOT and Jigglypuff is here to stay. Generation 1 haters are merely jealous about their flop generation not showing up and i think that is sad that they have to come in this thread and take out their anger/issues on a pink puffball that is doing nothing wrong except being loved by the Smash community.

Charizard is still in a better spot for sure. He hit the twice as uncommon mark 40 times while Lucario hit it about 78, which is almost twice as much as Charizard. Lucario is the least liked by the Smash community.
People said the same sort of thing about Lucario during the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, and that didn't exactly pan out. For Mewtwo, Jigglypuff is heavily based on a pre-existing character (Kirby), making her easier to add at the last minute, while the same doesn't apply for Mewtwo.

Also, knock it off with needlessly antagonizing fans of every single Pokemon game outside of the first ones.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
People said the same sort of thing about Lucario during the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, and that didn't exactly pan out. For Mewtwo, Jigglypuff is heavily based on a pre-existing character (Kirby), making her easier to add at the last minute, while the same doesn't apply for Mewtwo.

Also, knock it off with needlessly antagonizing fans of every single Pokemon game outside of the first ones.
Jiggs and Kirby do not share any actual moves except dair. So I do not see any truth to that for Brawl at all.

And how am I antagonizing when people come in her support thread saying she should be cut because other generations don't have enough "representation"? Maybe they should go to a Pokemon newcomer thread instead of hating on puff.

I merely gave them a reason why the Pokemon may not be relevant enough to be in smash.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No Pokemon character needs to get cut. Due to how big and diverse Pokemon is, we can easily justify 8 Pokemon characters on the roster.

And frankly, for all the discussion about gens 1 overrepresentation, Jigglypuff absolutely does add diversity to the Pokemon roster by virtue of being the only other cutesy Pokemon character along with Pikachu. Don't get me wrong, it's not the reason why I want her back as much as it is a minor bonus.

To change the topic back to something less inflammatory, Jigglypuff's Neutral Special should be changed to a Fairy-type move as Rollout is the least essential and iconic Special Move.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Please don't be advocating for removal of characters, I hope I'm misunderstanding you here.

But more importantly, how has Jigglypuff not already evolved beyond that? And in what way is making changes to move even further away from that not a positive move. Most people in this thread are actually suggesting changes to make Jigglypuff more iconic as a 'Fairy' type representative, and definitely one of the most famous fairy types.
We have Pokemon cuts every game, so yes, I am advocating for the one to be cut that I personally find to be least interesting and poorest representation of the actual character.
I'd rather the characters who are from Pokemon have the actual essence of Pokemon as a game. We have flat out been told by Sakurai that there will be no individual series that is allowed to dominate the roster, and in my opinion, there are far greater examples.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Just going to say that I absolutely support the return of Jigglypuff, while I doubt it'll ever happen post-Brawl, if she were to be cut I'd be extremely upset about it.

Also, this doesn't have much to do with anything being discussed, but does anyone know of any way to access Pokemon merchandise sales, specifically for plush and toys? I've noticed Jigglypuff tends to get a lot of those even among other popular Pokemon, and I think those could provide us some nice objective insight into how popular Jigglypuff is compared to other iconic Pokemon.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I made a thing, if anybody else wants to use it and ruin the spirit of newcomer support icons by advertising their desire for buffs instead like I'm doing feel free to!
Buff Jigglypuff.png

Edit: The text was pixel off from where I wanted it to be and it was driving me nuts lol

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
God, I just want her to be buffed. I barely played Brawl, but she's just so BAD in Smash 4 that I find her totally unplayable.

On the topic of cuts for Pokemon, I... don't actually see anybody getting cut. Not Charizard or Lucario or Greninja or Jigglypuff. Heck, I honestly think all 6 Pokemon characters will make it back, along with a 7th Pokemon character (fingers crossed for Decidueye). To add to that, some people are SERIOUSLY underselling how popular Lucario is. He's going to stick as a staple at this point, being a Pokemon that continued to get promotion past its' debut generation, getting pushed once more in Gen 6. Greninja did this as well for Gen 7. Charizard is late to the game, but otherwise pretty safe.

...As much as I love Jigglypuff (at least in Melee), if they can't improve her and only keep her as a total joke character, she's the only rep I could see being let go even WITH the original 12 rule, not having the popularity backing of Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, or Greninja.

With that said, I STILL don't think she's actually getting cut.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Can we make Sing a taunt? It's not at all weird for taunts to serve as weird attacks, and Sing already is a longer move than most taunts. It also frees up her Up B slot for a real recovery move. We'd lose the ability to sing in mid air, but the campy ledge regrab playstyle ought to go if we're reworking her top to bottom. Similarly, we got to tone down the KO power of Rest if we're giving her more ways to easily combo into that. Maybe make it so Rest heals her in order to compensate for the nerf that players will have kneejerk reactions to. And um...maybe make her throws KO more. Again, I'm wary about her having a combo tool with one of those throws into rest, but being able to KO high percent opponents just by grabbing them can keep her from having that common issue where none of your kill setups work anymore and you have to land a risky attack. Jigglypuff has enough risk, more kill moves please.

I don't know any of these potential fairy moves, but if any of them is a projectile or heavily disjointed area attack, I'd support it. The onus of approaching is always on Jiggs and that's not fun at all for such a flimsy character. If we're keeping Rollout, make it so she can double jump after bouncing off a character. I hate that she enters a laggy, helpless state when connecting with this move - killing her outright if her opponent sits at the ledge with their shield up and she's charging it up offstage. With a double jump cancel, she can retreat from an opponent's retaliation after blocking it, or follow up with a F-air if she does manage to connect. I don't think you can make Rollout a viable attack in competitive play, but it is a funny move for casual settings. We could even justify buffing it with faster charge up times or canceling the charge with shield like Sonic's Spin dash.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, for this installment, I want Puff to get buffed. I still have fun using the character in 4, but I think it could use some greater strengths.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff seriously needs some buffs.
Yeah, for this installment, I want Puff to get buffed. I still have fun using the character in 4, but I think it could use some greater strengths.
it turns out we are not alone. Smash Bros fans in Japan (a community that gets greater attention from the development team due to speaking the same language) have also voiced their opinions about her being weak.

a video titled "25 reasons why Purin is weak" has almost 1 million views. This gives us hope that the development team will listen and buff her in the next game (especially if Japanese fans continue to complain about her weaknesses)

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I want her to get some new special moves based on Fairy type. It's a waste being Fairy and not taking advantage of it

Fairy Wind, Disarming Voice or Play Rough are all moves that would fit her very well
Relegate those to customs.

A fighting game isn't complete without that one joke character. Jigglypuff may be past its prime, but at least it fits the joke character role quite nicely now.
Not a joke character.

Some fairy elements could be used for its moves, yeah. I always thought something akin to Peach's up air with fairy dust would be a neat little nod. It can even use the fairy Z-crystal for a new final smash.
I was with you until you endorsed Z-moves.

I loved how Jiggypuff became more expressive in smash 4. I was fine with her emotionless stare, but smash 4 made her more adorable.

Personally, I'm fine with most of her moveset, but if they could change it to make her more useable that would be great.

I really do like her and her playstyle though. While I also want to keep the og 12 alive for as long as possible. It would be shame to lose her even without that. So I support her return. And hopefully with some buffs.
Quality post.

I think that as far as reworking her specials goes she needs to keep Sing (it's Jigglypuff, she uses sing, that's her thing) but for it to be made more useful, and obviously Rest because it's the unique thing she brings so Smash (well, one of the unique things). Pound is a useful special (or at least it has been in the past) but could be reworked to a fairy move (or even just renamed to Play Rough with the dust cloud effect happening if it hits a shield). Rollout could be pretty much exchanged for anything.
I agree with this whole line of reasoning, especially changing Pound to "Play Rough", at least nominally, even if it ends up being a more powerful version of the same move.

The only thing I somewhat disagree with is removing Rollout. Rollout isn't just an attack move---it's a legitimate recovery move, like Pikachu and Luigi's side specials. The only thing that sucks about are its properties, which you can blame (like most things) on Sakurai's brainlet notion of balance.

In my opinion, Hungrybox is showing us that SSBM Jigglypuff was at her core well-designed. Sing and Rollout definitely need reworking, but otherwise, that iteration was near perfection and guaranteed her viability, and so should be imitated as closely as possible---maybe even keeping the useless f-tilt (hey---a SSB character can't be literally perfect).

Jigglypuff will always be at the mercy of the direction they go with the gameplay, more so than any other veteran imo. She wasn't great in Melee just because her numbers or hitboxes were better, but also because the game's mechanics just suited her so well, it's much harder for her to thrive now with how safe shield and air dodges have become, plus many of the additions since Melee have made life much more difficult for her as her already limited forms of approach have been completely shut down.

I don't think we'll ever see Jiggs be top tier again, Smash has just changed too much, but if the gameplay edges closer to Melee's than before then she'll at least have a decent shot at being not awful, give her a few buffs on top of that and she might even be decent.
I like your post but I think her being awful in Brawl and tr4sh was because Sakurai intentionally made her awful. If he made her good, she'd have done just fine even with the physics changes. Rest being nigh useless and even more difficult to combo into ruined her and missed half the point of her character.

Outside of obvious buffs all I want is for her to get some of that anime personality.

I want a victory screen where the opponents are sleeping with marker mustaches drawn on them and Puff holding the marker up like a sword. I want that angry puffed up face she does when she loses. I want that cute little laugh she does as a taunt. Stuff like that.
This is the one thing that tr4sh did right; this direction needs to be pursued.

I like Sing as a concept, I just want it to be kinda good for once. It's hard to do that when she has a ohko move tho.
You know, I believe Sing was supposed to combo into Rest. I think that should be a thing. The tiny hitbox and inability to snooze aerial opponents wouldn't be bad if she had less endlag on sing or could cancel it at will. The worst thing about the move is that you can trap an opponent with the first frames but by the end of the move, they're already waking up---and no one is dumb enough to get hit by its latter frames.

I think Pound could be upgraded into Play Rough. Jigglypuff would go forward in the same motion as Pound, but if she hits someone she and her oponnent dissapear into a cloud of smoke and she hits them multiple times.
Not a bad way of thinking, but if you remember SSBM, Pound's mechanics are vital for Rest setups. I favor making Play Rough the new custom to replace Double Slap [?] in tr4sh.

Personally I'd axe Rollout, make Sing the new Neutral B move, and then something entirely new for the Up B move.
Not bad. I don't wholly agree, but this at least gets us somewhere.

I'd like to see Rollout replaced with either Dazzling Gleam or Hyper Voice as a chargeable special that creates a large hitbox around Jiggs as a defensive move, or at least a small projectile for a bit of desperately needed range. Hyper Voice could also be used as a disjoint Smash attack or a FS.
Liked for interesting suggestions.

If she does return, and it is with a new moveset, I'd be pretty pissed.
The only argument for her return is that she is familiar to fans with the moveset she has had.

As an individual character she is insignificant.
I definitely don't want her to get Falco'd. However, I want the Smash developers to start going out of their way to justify the inclusion of each and every attack the Pokemon have. They can call jab 'Double Slap', but which move is Jigg's nair supposed to represent, hm? Dair? D-smash? It should all correspond to something. There's no reason not to do this (plus, it would please fans to no end).

But, I do think if any pokemon have to cut, it really should fall on her or Charizard to leave the game at this point.
You already know who's gotta go.
Panderzard

I'm very proud of frog ninja for making his way to the top in popularity and stardom when he faced off against a freaking fox (that gets humanoid) starter which is every gamer teen's favorite animal alongside wolves or panthers. The frog did me proud.
It was engineered. It was no accident. Delphox and Chesnaught are terrible in comparison to it competitively, especially including Dreamworld abilities. Gamefreak was biased toward edgefrog from the get-go.

why should she and Charizard leave when Lucario is the least played pokemon in Smash?

they're going to value statistics over feelings/favoritism. Lucario had his opportunity to get a playerbase and he failed, while Greninja hasn't.
I hate Panderzard and Flukeario taking spots away from other 'mons, but I think if the Smash developers copied his design from Project M---which is basically a Shoto from traditional fighting games---then he'd be far more popular and playable, and in my view, acceptable.

I have that feeling towards Falco actually. He was more of a clone than Wolf while Falco's popularity has likely went down with him being rather weak in Smash 4 according to research. So should Falco's seniority really over take Wolf's popularity and uniqueness? I personally think Wolf should of been above Falco in priority.
I agree with you rationally. Sentimentally, I would oppose it. If I knew how they'd do Falco in tr4sh, I would have supported your proposal---similar enough characters, really.

I wonder about Mewtwo. Does that uptick in usage correspond to a patch that buffed him? If so, you can make the case that the reason why characters are underplayed is because people don't feel rewarded by playing them. Jigglypuff really is a unique character; for me, not even Kirby feels similar enough. She is indeed terrible in this game, but she scratches an itch like no other. On the other hand, Charizard and Lucario are poorly thought out. Comparing them to their Project M and Brawl Minus incarnations especially brings out how lacking they are as a playable character. What I'm saying is that it's possible their low usage has more to do with how they were implemented in SSB than with their popularity as characters in their own right.

I'm sceptical of usage arguments as reasons for including or excluding characters. Take Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike as an example. My impression is that Hugo isn't a super popular character, but where would the game be without it's giant grappler? He fills a niche that goes empty without him, and has an appeal for a certain section of the playerbase, however small that may be, which would be disappointed by his exclusion. Now take Sean. He's considered the worst character in the game, and so gets rarely played. But he was nerfed by a lot from Second Generation to 3S. His low usage in 3rd Strike likely corresponds to his implementation as a character, and not from people disliking his design and personality. All this applies to Super Smash Bros. just the same.

Funny enough, one of my personal favorite Pokemon will not be in Smash and was from Generation 1. (Gengar)
Got into Pokken though.

Jigglypuff was heavily based on a pre-existing character (Kirby)
ftfy

And how am I antagonizing when people come in her support thread saying she should be cut because other generations don't have enough "representation"? Maybe they should go to a Pokemon newcomer thread instead of hating on puff.
kek

Can we make Sing a taunt?
This is perhaps the single most useful suggestion in this entire thread.

I'd just be sad to see about every one of her taunts go, but for different reasons. My least favorite is the deflation, but it's most representative of what the Pokemon is. The wink is most representative of her character. The spin and pose might be my personal favorite, but it's less representative of the character than the wink. I'd be happy if the last two could get merged into one taunt so room be made for Sing.

make it so Rest heals her
Yes. Brawl Minus.

Jigglypuff has enough risk, more kill moves please.
That's not how she works, my guy. Besides, she has enough kill moves already, if you make SSBM the standard.

If we're keeping Rollout, make it so she can double jump after bouncing off a character. I hate that she enters a laggy, helpless state when connecting with this move - killing her outright if her opponent sits at the ledge with their shield up and she's charging it up offstage. With a double jump cancel, she can retreat from an opponent's retaliation after blocking it, or follow up with a F-air if she does manage to connect... We could even justify buffing it with faster charge up times or canceling the charge with shield like Sonic's Spin dash.
I totally agree about the problem here. I think your solution isn't bad at all, though I'm not entirely sold on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nohbl, I like that you were quoting multiple people per post, but that's still no reason to quintuple post or needlessly insult other characters. (In this case, Charizard and Lucario) The first is against the rules, while the second is a matter of being polite. (I'm sure that you wouldn't be okay with people in other threads bashing Jigglypuff completely unprovoked)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Posted this opinion about Jigglypuff in the unpopular opinions thread but I feel like it fits this thread as well: I feel that Jigglypuff is deserving of returning to Smash even WITHOUT counting her original 12 status because she's simply more iconic (due to her role in the anime and it's influence on pop culture) than the most popular suggestions (for smash) like Sceptile, Decidueye, Lycanroc, etc, she's on par with the popularity of notable Pokemon like Meowth and Gengar as popularity polls have shown, gets a rather large amount of promotion in merchandise and spin-offs, and has the prestigious honor of being catchable in every mainline game, something not even Pikachu can boast.

Also, since we're on the subject of cuts, the pokemon that needs to be cut imo... is none of them, why should the world's largest media franchise actually need cuts to it's representation just to make room for more? There's no justification needed for that, just keep all the pokemon so everybody can continue playing as their main, I don't see what the problem is.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
In my opinion, Hungrybox is showing us that SSBM Jigglypuff was at her core well-designed.
He's shown that she can be top tier but a lot of players would argue that she's badly designed in melee because they ****ing hate playing against her.

That said I personally think there's more to look at reproducing from her Melee incarnation than in what came since...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
He's shown that she can be top tier but a lot of players would argue that she's badly designed in melee because they ****ing hate playing against her.

That said I personally think there's more to look at reproducing from her Melee incarnation than in what came since...
One of the biggest issues with making her like she was in Melee is that the physics have changed so much.

Just gonna repost the balance changes I suggested less than an hour ago in the Revamp a Veteran Thread.

Hooh boy, I have SO MUCH to talk about. This may be my longest post yet.

Not because I'm heavily altering her moves. Just as it has ever since her debut, Jigglypuff's attacks are the exact same. And I like that. She's one of few characters who IMO don't need even a slight tweak to one animation for faithfulness.

But in terms of actual viablity? Nnnnot so much. It's common knowledge by now that Jigglypuff isn't just bad in Smash 4; she was the worst character in the whole ****ing game. And this may have had something to do with the fact that even after she was so badly nerfed in Brawl (and was the 3rd worst character there), she was nerfed in Smash 4.

And pretty badly too. I mean, her strengths were nerfed and her weaknesses were made even worse. As someone who has mained Puff since forever, it was honestly soul-crushing to see my snuggly balloon pokemon become so.... useless. I still stuck with her, though, and I can still say she is awful, but still can do a few things.

I was actually almost reluctant to buff the puff (There's something weird I like about maining a weak piece of cotton candy), but speaking from longtime expirience, here's some stuff I came up with to help make her more viable and hopefully keep her fun to fight against (basically, no Melee Puff, though a few changes were based on Melee)

General

• First off, I will address the elephant in the room; one that has been present since Smash 64; her insta-kill when her shield breaks. This will sound weird, especially from someone who’s mained her as faithfully as I have; keep it in. Hear me out; the shield break instant death is one thing that has separated Puff from the rest of the cast ever since Smash 64, and has become a staple of her Smash identity, almost to the level of Rest. BUT, she gets a much larger shield, one of the biggest. Her shield break is still a big weakness, but with the weak shields in Smash 4 and the fact that every **** and Harry had a move that was devastating against shields, it hampered her too much in Smash 4.

• Jigglyppuff’s air speed has been boosted back up to it’s old Melee value, (1.269 → 1.35), now being the fastest in the game (outside of special circumstances, like Giga Mac, lightest possible Mii Brawler, Limit Cloud, etc), and her air acceleration is a little faster too (0.08 → 0.09). So, why is this? Her whole thing now is she’s supposed to be a great fighter in the air, and she’s meant to be a puffball that zips around with no care in midair, so it just makes sense to keep her as the one with the fastest air speed. Plus, most of the cast had their air speed increased, so yeah.

• Jigg’s jumpsquat is faster (Frame 6 → 5)

• During her crouch, she now goes to sleep, looking like her Rest animation (but without a slight flash.

• Oh yeah, her airdoge needed to be boosted. It’s about on par with the heavies like Bowser. The thing is, the heavies can take tons of punishment, but Ms Puffy……. Can’t. So now, her airdodge has a different duration (Frames 4-29 → 2-25).

Ground Attacks

• Up tilt has more range behind her.

• Dash attack has a bit more base knockback (16 → 20).

• Jigglypuff’s forward smash had some unnecessary frames chopped off, reducing it’s start-up (Frame 16 → 12). It’s hitbox also closes off at frame 20, not 19. Did you guys know that in Brawl and Smash 4, a few extra frames were added to the start-up which made it seem like she forgot what she wanted to do, then quickly remembered and procceded with the dropkick? Yeah, say bye to that.

• Jigglypuff’s up smash deals one more damage (14% → 15%) and has larger range.

• Down smash is ass, so it got buffed a bit. It is faster (Frames 14-15 → 11-12), and it’s knockback scaling was improved (69 → 82). It has a larger hitbox.

Air Attacks

• Her clean neutral aerial starts sooner (Frame 6-7 → 3-5), just like most sex kicks in the game.

• Forward aerial has a slight animation goof. While it starts on frame 8, she actually kicks on frame 7. So Just make the hitbox come out on frame 7 to match the animation, and the move’s good to me.

• Back air has had it’s frame data nerfs undone, now starting on frame 9 instead of 12. Before you get mad, I’d like to point out Falco’s back air, which is frame 4 and doesn't KO much later. Plus, I thought she was supposed to be an air fighter?

• Up air has an altered FAF (FAF 45 → 40)

• Down air has a better autocancel window (Frame 45 → 38) and has a slight disjoint now.

Grab/throws

• Dash grab propels her a bit farther, making it reach a bit farther.

• Jigglypuff’s air release has been standardized. For those non-Puff mains who didn’t know, Jigglypuff’s air release sends her high up in the sky, like Wario’s in Brawl and SSB4 before patch 1.04. This leaves her vulnerable to a few kill confirms that nobody else is vulnerable to, like for instance, Jump Shulk can kill confirm into an Air Slash on Puff because of her odd air release. My girl doesn't need this. Please fix this, Papa Sakurai.

• Forward throw has an altered angle (55 → 45).

• Dwn throw has lower base knockback (100 → 70), giving it combo potential at low percents.

Special moves

• Rollout used to not leave you totally helpless if you connected to an opponent, correct? Yeah, bring that back. It’s already a ****ing awful move, but that’s SOMETHING, at least.

• Pound is a little faster (Frame 13 → 12), now matching the animation, and Rising Pound is back in all it’s glory! This was one of her best aspects in the entire series, and I had no idea why it was ever nerfed as badly as it was, when she was already a hot mess in Brawl. (Then again, I don’t get why she was overall nerfed in Smash 4 either…)

• For the love of Jesus, make Sing not trigger counterattacks anymore! Also, it’s endlag is lower (FAF 180 → 160) and the move is one constant hitbox rather than 3 spilt out across the entire move. Yes, the move’s actually made up of 3 separate hitboxes. Useless **** only the real Jiggs mains know about. Also, she smiles a bit while singing.

• Rest is frame 1 again. Also, it now always results in a Star KO if the opponent is not on their last stock, and a blast KO if they are on their last stock.

But hey, regardless of wheter she gets the buffs she needs, she'll still be my girl. :) (In Smash Bros) What can I say? Just love her too much to drop her.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
WE'RE IN!
Looks like Up-air got a hitstun buff, here's hoping!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I didn't see anything particularly special in that aside from shield break still killing...

I'm not exactly an expert though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
To anyone thinking or hoping that our Jigglypuff would be Jigglycut, I give a resounding “HA!”

Now, here’s hoping for Jigglybuffs.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What an... odd buff. The only reason to use uncharged Rollout was as an unconventional taunt. Why not buff the version of the move that you may actually use?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
What an... odd buff. The only reason to use uncharged Rollout was as an unconventional taunt. Why not buff the version of the move that you may actually use?
Perhaps this implies they buffed the charged version as well? Rollout might actually be useful? Maybe? ...hopefully?
Any other noticeable changes so far?

Also why does her shield break still have to be lethal lol
She now gets angry during her final smash, although that isn't a balance change lol.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Perhaps this implies they buffed the charged version as well? Rollout might actually be useful? Maybe? ...hopefully?
I’m not entirely sure what the purpose of Rollout is. I would’ve scrapped it entirely and replaced it with something like Moon Blast.
She now gets angry during her final smash, although that isn't a balance change lol.
To be honest, I like the surprised face better.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
i was browsing japanese twitter and it seems like they aren't sure if shes buffed either. We have so little to go off on.

it is interesting that the Rest and the aerials were specifically shown in her trailer, its a possibility that those were touched (and its mainly where her gameplay always focused on anyways)

the Smash team are aware she needs buffs (that video i posted a while back is proof, almost a million views!). I wonder if its either: they don't know how much they need to buff her or they want her to be weak on purpose.

one thing for sure is this needs to be FIXED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZpb3WHtc8A

Its so unfair.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
i was browsing japanese twitter and it seems like they aren't sure if shes buffed either. We have so little to go off on.

it is interesting that the Rest and the aerials were specifically shown in her trailer, its a possibility that those were touched (and its mainly where her gameplay always focused on anyways)

the Smash team are aware she needs buffs (that video i posted a while back is proof, almost a million views!). I wonder if its either: they don't know how much they need to buff her or they want her to be weak on purpose.

one thing for sure is this needs to be FIXED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZpb3WHtc8A

Its so unfair.
That was hilarious

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
WE'RE IN!
Looks like Up-air got a hitstun buff, here's hoping!
I don't know what Sakurai is on about this "streamlined" bullsh*t because Jigglypuff's final smash is still just as avoidable.
Rest still launches at a vertical angle.
All the trailer shows is that there's a high likelihood she wasn't molested.

Not looking too god or bad to start with. Too early to say much unfortunately.
Her Brawl sound effects are just straight up annoying now though. After so long, I will forever associate it with weakness.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
'Streamlined' doesn't mean 'easy to hit with', there's still plenty that are easily dodgeable. Streamlined just means no more transformation FSes. All of them will have a big effect then end.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well I think a positive is that it looks like all aerials have less landing lag in this game. This benefits Puff greatly.

I dont like that Rest has the same upwards knockback tho

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Buffs that I have seen in the video and the indrocution trailer:

Rollout is one full rotation when no charge instead of 6
her Side Taunt is much faster
her jabs sends the opponent to the side rather that her first jab sends upwards and looks stronger (in theory, this would bring Jablock back with her first jab)
UpAir seems to be a true combo to FAir and Rest. (speculations)
Rest are able to kill after a UAir and FAir (if the launch star deals no damage)
UAir Landing Lag and FAir Lag is faster (speculation)

while basically everyone has gotten a speed increase on their stuff (Like Ganons FAir landing is 14 than 30 frames and same with Dedede), we will most likely see the same on Jigglypuff

Top Bottom