• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

T-Bagging

MxZtriker

Smash Rookie
Ok, so every game has some toxicity in it, up to a level.
Lol has terrible community, overwatch as well, Fortnite diminished it with the emotes making it a bit less painful to see a player emote on you.

But for me Smash was always the best community, but up until today when I got T-bagged by every single player I went against.
I won each match and the satisfaction was great, but that doesn't mean that the t-bagging wasn't annoying.

So just in case, if I ever play you in real life or if i ever see someone t-bagging in real life. Expect a real life PUNCH in the face, ribs, and liver. Then I'll t-bag you :).

Whether this community learns to stop t-bagging or good luck if i see you doing it in real life.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
T-bagging<<<taunting

But there's a reason we even see the former and it's because we can't use the latter. Also I know this isn't a serious post but I think it should still be considered due to the fact that the removal of taunting online has had no effect on """"toxicity"""" and now we just get a lame and repetitive bootleg taunt. Except Triple D and InCENAroar. They're unaffected (but still bring back taunts anyway please Sakurai)

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
It doesn’t bother me, I wish we had taunting though. It’s all in good fun in my opinion and not inherently toxic. It’s not like people are being verbally abusive like in other games, it’s harmless. My friends and I literally do it on every stock because we’re just having fun

Nemotoda

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7921 7233 3227
Yeah, I think t-bagging can be a bit annoying, but so is taunting. T-bagging wasn't as much as a thing online before they removed taunting as an option, and so people are just working with that they have. Plus a case can be made that because t-bagging makes you mad it's serving its purpose and is a competitively viable strategy. Also, taunting should be added back because some taunts have legitimate uses (Kirby, Luigi, Snake). But I want to be able to shake my butt as Wario so please bring taunting back Sakurai.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Whenever I see someone teabag me, I simply do an “excuuuuse me?! Do you know who you’re up against?” and send them to kingdom come. :)

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
I would have T-bag my opponents if they didn't remove the taunt online. And there's nothing more satisfying then whooping someone who has T-bag you early in the match and then in the final moment on the match t-bag back.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It’s fine by me when their crouch makes a funny noise. Puff, Kirby, Game & Watch all get a pass. Otherwise it just looks stupid.

I much prefer the slow walk. Or turning back and forth like “what happened?” Works especially well if they SD without my intervention whatsoever.

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Personally, I do wish we had taunting back. Especially for characters who have interactive taunts like Snake and Luigi so we can pull really obscure and mean ledge guards.

NorthernGun

Smash Rookie
I played like five games in a row against a Jigglypuff yesterday. Won the first four. He teabagged every time he got a KO.

He won the fifth match and then immediately left the lobby. I laughed. Taunting would have been more fun, though. "Toxicity" is a silly reason to leave it out.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The main reason why T-bagging is so prominent online is because we can't taunt.

Removing taunts, in my opinion, was an unjustified change. It definitely doesn't decreases the amount of toxicity.

Looking at some people's reaction, it might have actually created more toxicity.

So I do hope they allow taunts online in the future (although I doubt they will).

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Basically i don’t mind taunts when the person im playing with is a friend or someone i talk to while playing.

But when I’m playing quickmatch i don’t like it. When I’m not able to tell if it’s a funny banter between him and me or if he is a arrogant player with bad manners. I think smash is like a game of tennis between two people. And in tennis almost no one would ever taunt the other player after a win if they don’t know them well.

Also i hate that i can’t show them that I won’t get triggered by their taunt. So thinking about them thinking I’m triggered is what offends me the most.

I try to counter it by saying “Good luck have fun” and “well played” before and after each match. That’s what helps me at least a bit.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So just in case, if I ever play you in real life or if i ever see someone t-bagging in real life. Expect a real life PUNCH in the face, ribs, and liver. Then I'll t-bag you :).
Clearly the non-toxic response.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I played like five games in a row against a Jigglypuff yesterday. Won the first four. He teabagged every time he got a KO.

He won the fifth match and then immediately left the lobby. I laughed. Taunting would have been more fun, though. "Toxicity" is a silly reason to leave it out.
I played a puff last night who Tbagged for getting one stock when he was already on his last with 96%. He died once I respawned and just side smash. I'm not too offended about tbagging but wow do some people like to do it even on the losing side.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
At this point I feel like people who get massively offended at t-bagging bring more toxicity to games than the ones who do it.

I mean, in shooters, I kinda get how it might be a bit annoying. But in fighting games it doesn't even look like teabagging. Especially not in Smash, when you're rarely close to a grounded opponent, so what the hell? It doesn't even mean anything at that point. You don't even have to ignore it, because it's not even there. You're letting it get to your head when there's literally nothing inherently offensive about the action.

teakplum

Smash Rookie
At this point I feel like people who get massively offended at t-bagging bring more toxicity to games than the ones who do it.

I mean, in shooters, I kinda get how it might be a bit annoying. But in fighting games it doesn't even look like teabagging. Especially not in Smash, when you're rarely close to a grounded opponent, so what the hell? It doesn't even mean anything at that point. You don't even have to ignore it, because it's not even there. You're letting it get to your head when there's literally nothing inherently offensive about the action.
What it looks like doesn't actually matter. It's just a whether or not you want to be a baby and let it get to you. It's just a sign of disrespect.

Zieges

Smash Rookie
T-bagging? You mean vertical dash-dancing? But seriously, I'll catch myself doing it by accident sometimes just because I'm trying to keep my left thumb loose.

link2702

Smash Champion
The in-game taunts have never had the reputation of being blatantly offensive, and quite honestly I don’t know why anyone has ever gotten offended by them.

Teabagging however, has been a sign of disrespect in gaming for quite awhile, it really doesn’t have any other significant meanings, when they teabag you it’s to be disrespectful more often than not. Is it silly that this has become the universal sign of disrespect in gaming? Yes, but that’s what it is.

I have reported people who teabag in matches against me, and should i do so to them, I’d expect them to do the same. It’s unsportsmanlike, disrespectful, and there’s no reason to be doing it.

With that said, never ever resort to actual violence offline. If someone teabags you offline in a tournament, just grit your teeth and tolerate it. Until tournaments start adopting rules calling out unsportsmanlike behavior, that’s all you can do. With how big esports is getting anymore, eventually there will be rules put in place to discourage popping off, and in general, poor sportsmanship, just like in real sports.

....now if esports would just adopt a hygiene policy as well....

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You mean "tea bagging", which I suspect comes from the act in which one takes a tea bag and dips it in a mug of hot water. I've only reported one person who tea bagged me, but that was in conjunction with my initial issue: the infamous lag switch. I personally start my matches with, "Good luck, have fun!" If the person I played against was tough, or if I lost, I'll use, "You're very tough!" I hope that makes those who lose feel better if they gave me a challenge, and I hope it keeps those whom I've lost to, especially if I was dominated. Just block those who tea bag you, or don't let it get to you. If you defeat your opponent, it's better than tea bagging in return. Prove yourself by winning, not by boasting.

Blueforce06

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7657-8939-4080
I agree, It's annoying and unnecessary, but I don't think it will ever go away unfortunately. I haven't experienced it yet, since I'm brand new and get wrecked online anyways lol. What would be funny is when karma catches up.

I think that if one needs to do it to boast something, it's fairly silly and a projection of their maturity level because at the end of the day it is just a video game and the person might have made just one less mistake.

Also, take Dark Souls the majority of duels, even invasions people would bow to each other out of courtesy as a sign of respect.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Also what I didn’t add in my earlier post even if I taunt or teabag I always say “well played” or “I can go again” after the match showing that it was all in good fun

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
People need to grow up. I never been a fan of teabagging, but they removed taunts. So umm... I'm going to find some way to have fun and flaunt a little.

I mean I've done crouch and "walk" back and forth as Male WFT which is some oddly absurd hopping on all fours. It's dumb and ridiculous looking. That some of you were willing to start raising concern and reports over someone doing this is just ridiculous. That's starting to enter the Triggered mentality where you're just being too sensitive over dumb stuff especially when man characters have silly and dumb crouches.

I had some matches against a :ultfalcon: that would teabag me as I planted trees as :ultvillager: and then Falcon Punch them to death. It was one of the most odd matches I had in Quick Play and it was awesome cause of that. I even let him stomp (Down Air) me to death in the last match out of respect to our odd little dance (since it was mostly serious) so we'd end Tied in W/L to each other.

Maybe we should remove Victory Animations to cause some of the characters really rub it in as well!!! "Ohhhhhhhh, did I win?" Report Peach, she toxic.

I have reported people who teabag in matches against me, and should i do so to them, I’d expect them to do the same. It’s unsportsmanlike, disrespectful, and there’s no reason to be doing it.
That's pretty awful. Should I report people who spam projectiles cause I don't like it and think it's disrespectful? Or someone who runs back and forth after KO'ing me? People playing what the Pros claims are broken OP? People who suicide their last stock? People who lag? People who shield spam when I'm Ko'd? Spam a move? Etc.

You're being too sensitive that spamming crouch is all it takes for you to report people.

Last edited:

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Each time I see someone teabagging I do the correct thing and not care. Its a taunt and if it annoyed you then the taunt worked. It is just some immature idiot pressing down a lot in some lame attempt to be funny or annoying.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
People need to grow up. I never been a fan of teabagging, but they removed taunts. So umm... I'm going to find some way to have fun and flaunt a little.

I mean I've done crouch and "walk" back and forth as Male WFT which is some oddly absurd hopping on all fours. It's dumb and ridiculous looking. That some of you were willing to start raising concern and reports over someone doing this is just ridiculous. That's starting to enter the Triggered mentality where you're just being too sensitive over dumb stuff especially when man characters have silly and dumb crouches.

I had some matches against a :ultfalcon: that would teabag me as I planted trees as :ultvillager: and then Falcon Punch them to death. It was one of the most odd matches I had in Quick Play and it was awesome cause of that. I even let him stomp (Down Air) me to death in the last match out of respect to our odd little dance (since it was mostly serious) so we'd end Tied in W/L to each other.

Maybe we should remove Victory Animations to cause some of the characters really rub it in as well!!! "Ohhhhhhhh, did I win?" Report Peach, she toxic.

That's pretty awful. Should I report people who spam projectiles cause I don't like it and think it's disrespectful? Or someone who runs back and forth after KO'ing me? People playing what the Pros claims are broken OP? People who suicide their last stock? People who lag? People who shield spam when I'm Ko'd? Spam a move? Etc.

You're being too sensitive that spamming crouch is all it takes for you to report people.
nice try, but none of those other things you listed fall under the category of unsportsmanlike behavior, teabagging on the other hand....It serves no purpose other to be disrespectful to the opponent. It falls under an actual category that nintendo feels can be legitimately reported.

Also technically you could report someone for lag as well as it could be looked at as “network manipulation” which is another category you can report people for, and it’s up to Nintendo themselves to determine who was the source of the lag.

There’s a report feature in ultimate for a reason, people shouldn’t be afraid to use it, especially now that it appears it gets looked over by real people.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Everyone else: "They're T-bagging? yeah, i probs deserved that anyway"
:ultcloud::ultdk::ultinkling::ultlucario::ultmario::ultmewtwo::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultrob::ultrobin::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultwiifittrainer:: "Dude, I'm respawning, charge your Neutral-B/Down-B/etc.--! oh my god, you're wearing headphones! you can't hear me! oh my god! D:"

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Each time I see someone teabagging I do the correct thing and not care. Its a taunt and if it annoyed you then the taunt worked. It is just some immature idiot pressing down a lot in some lame attempt to be funny or annoying.
That’s basically right. But I personally have more fun with the game when it fella like a battle between two sportsman who see the other player as a human beimg and a worthy opponent. There is a reason this only happens online and just rarely at a tennis match for example. It’s anonymity that makes those otherwise weak and immature players strong and feel like they can be strong for once. At least that’s my opinion to the disrespectful type of t-bagging (there is a funny banter kind of t bagging as well but thats kind of hard to tell if it’s a random strager).

Guess this topic is to subjective to get a real united right answer if ita good or bad

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
nice try, but none of those other things you listed fall under the category of unsportsmanlike behavior, teabagging on the other hand....It serves no purpose other to be disrespectful to the opponent. It falls under an actual category that nintendo feels can be legitimately reported.

Also technically you could report someone for lag as well as it could be looked at as “network manipulation” which is another category you can report people for, and it’s up to Nintendo themselves to determine who was the source of the lag.

There’s a report feature in ultimate for a reason, people shouldn’t be afraid to use it, especially now that it appears it gets looked over by real people.
"You are banned from online for 1hr 15min because of excessive crouching."

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i just wished we could taunt normally..i like to taunt after a kill..is that so wrong? to nintendo it probably is >.<

Arrei

Smash Lord
The only thing I don't like about teabagging is... it's not even humorous. There are no corpses to teabag in this game, and of all the motions you could do to assert dominance, I don't think doing squats ranks very high on the list.

Do THIS online and then we'll talk.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Just to add perspective, I often see t-bagging after the opponent had a very silly SD and it completely reads as "haha, I slipped off".

By the way, playing in the arena lets you taunt regularly.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
If ppl have an issue with tbagging in this game then it obviously works. Its suppose to annoy , piss you off, make u dislike it etc. Dont get me wrong i dont like getting tbagged either.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If you report people for crouch spamming, or even let it get to you, you are the one that needs to grow up just sayin'.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Any time I've encountered it online it's been as a sort of pre-match salute, and since taunting is gone, occasionally as a taunt post-KO.

Galaxy brain: crouch spam in morse code

teakplum

Smash Rookie
You mean "tea bagging", which I suspect comes from the act in which one takes a tea bag and dips it in a mug of hot water. I've only reported one person who tea bagged me, but that was in conjunction with my initial issue: the infamous lag switch. I personally start my matches with, "Good luck, have fun!" If the person I played against was tough, or if I lost, I'll use, "You're very tough!" I hope that makes those who lose feel better if they gave me a challenge, and I hope it keeps those whom I've lost to, especially if I was dominated. Just block those who tea bag you, or don't let it get to you. If you defeat your opponent, it's better than tea bagging in return. Prove yourself by winning, not by boasting.
tea bagging is when you drag your balls on someone else's face. it's easier to see in fighting games and shooters. it's more figurative in smash where you can't actually see your opponent after you've killed them

Top Bottom