• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SynikaL's Brawl Impressions: "When Hearts Cry" Edition

AC

Smash Journeyman
I even convinced myself that L-Cancel wouldn't be necessary, because I felt the game play changes would expand Brawl to new horizons that made it unnecessary.
You're grasping onto hope with a withered, broken pinky.:laugh:

Why would they remove L-cancelling but then keep sheild-grabbing/jump-cancelling the shield? Makes no sense at all. It was critical to the balance of the game.

As for your comment on Brawl being meant to be played with items, as you know, this immediately disqualifies it from competitive play. If Sakurai had shown some foresight/respect for/knowledge of the competitive smash community then he surely would have come up with a reasonable compromise.

Set item-spawn locations, anyone?

I've watched 20+ Brawl videos by now, and you're right. No combos anywhere. It's not even a player issue, the characters simply fly too far for any follow up. No newly discovered glitch is going to save that colossal screw up.

Jeez, you think they would have thought this through more. Don't they realize that if not for the competitive scene, Melee wouldn't have lasted for six years?

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
You're grasping onto hope with a withered, broken pinky.:laugh:

Why would they remove L-cancelling but then keep sheild-grabbing/jump-cancelling the shield? Makes no sense at all. It was critical to the balance of the game.

As for your comment on Brawl being meant to be played with items, as you know, this immediately disqualifies it from competitive play. If Sakurai had shown some foresight/respect for/knowledge of the competitive smash community then he surely would have come up with a reasonable compromise.

Set item-spawn locations, anyone?

I've watched 20+ Brawl videos by now, and you're right. No combos anywhere. It's not even a player issue, the characters simply fly too far for any follow up. No newly discovered glitch is going to save that colossal screw up.

Jeez, you think they would have thought this through more. Don't they realize that if not for the competitive scene, Melee wouldn't have lasted for six years?
Actually there is a potential solution. You can read about it in the Advanced techniques thread(or in its original discussion thread). This could possibly open up huge combo opportunity as well as add a little bit of strategy in how someone chooses to use his/her moves.

Read up on it here

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
I think you blew everything up and out of proportion. Looking back on early MElee videos, I would have thought "is this really Melee"? Same for Smash 64. They were so slow and oher things it somewhat shocked me.

Please STOP all of this until the game is out after AT LEAST a year or two.

100% agree, this guy wins

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
I think you blew everything up and out of proportion. Looking back on early MElee videos, I would have thought "is this really Melee"? Same for Smash 64. They were so slow and oher things it somewhat shocked me.

Please STOP all of this until the game is out after AT LEAST a year or two.
THIS POST IS WIN

He's clearly not giving up, but you could just wait a little longer. Practice a little more

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Despite the fact that there are articulate and valid arguments to the contrary throughout this thread, crushing those base assumptions?

You're quite dense.

-Kye
Sorry, but I'm not going to haul my eyes through this entire thread, but you must agree that you cannot judge ths game fully as of now.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Despite the fact that there are articulate and valid arguments to the contrary throughout this thread, crushing those base assumptions?

You're quite dense.

-Kye
They may be well articulated but that doesnt give them much weight. The game has been out for a week. Its much different from melee. The arguments you consider valid are under the assumption that brawl=melee, which isnt true. We know very little about this game.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
They may be well articulated but that doesnt give them much weight. The game has been out for a week. Its much different from melee. The arguments you consider valid are under the assumption that brawl=melee, which isnt true. We know very little about this game.
Ouch, Synikal. Looks like he blew your OP out of the water.

GG, though. At least your e-peen is considerable---though I wouldn't say the same for most of your arguments throughout this thread.

Let's move on back to one of your posts, shall we?

SynikaL said:
I'm reserving my final judgment on that for when I get to see the game on my own TV.
Taken out of context and applied to this one, really, it makes sense doesn't it?

It sounds like the only heart that's crying here is yours, begging and pleading for this game to be something that it isn't. Why don't YOU wait until you get the game before you pass it off as complete and utter garbage? It's almost asinine to see somebody as renowned as you BAWWWWWW so easily over a couple of changes in a game engine.

Smooth Criminal

OmegaFujin (PGI)

Smash Cadet
First of all let me begin by stating, most good or professional players will no sit around personally attacking and blocking those who have opinions. Secondly for those who think that Melee is 100times better than Brawl within one week you full of ****.

Did Falco's pillar combo arise in the first week of Melee's release? Was Waveshining discovered within a week? Didn't moonwalking come out like 3 or four years after the game was out? Pillaring took almost 2 years to come to light. On the old Melee tier list princess Zelda was one of the high tier characters, and look what time did to that. Marth and Roy used to be considered equal. So people on this board just need to go place Brawl some more & get better. Why would you trip so hard claiming "advanced techniqes are gone".

Advanced techniques will always arise. Plus most people who relyed too much on cheap edgegards, waveshines, wall of pains, Dr. Mario back kicks, etc; tend to get trashed in real tournament scenes by newer upcoming Melee players dut to Mind games. Instead of whinning about ledge recovery why not edge hog fake to on the stage forward smash? Or edge hog. Or hell just go all the way magnified & kill them like that. There's limitless possibilities.

Has anyone realized that with the ability to recover from farther, we can just go out farther to kill opponents?

Also was Sheik not a good character without l-cancel? Brawl took so long to come out, do people really think they didn't intend to make everyone happy.

Most top Melee players now hated it when it first came out being due to it being too different from 64, but over time they adapted and found new horiszens of play . Bottom line is each characters game play machanics will have to be explored and push to their limits before true game potential arises. Give it time like everyone else is saying. Please don't be shallow minded. I believe anyone who trashes Brawl so quickly then actually bothers to come on here and post must not even be that great at Melee. It takes time to get good at anything, even a familiar title. On the Smash Dojo there was a quote saying "don't expect the characters to feel the character to feel the same, those who do will be in trouble" This doesn't say "the game has less depth for noobs to succeed." True fans will adjust and destroy.

Let's not forget no official magazine or webpage has listed advanced techniqes yet.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Smooth Criminal:

Say hi to my ignore list.

jdub:

A few things:

I wasn't only referring to my own posts. There are many articulate and ponderous posts other than my own -- some even opposing my views of the game.

You're reiterating the same nonsense that I've addressed countless times. Regardless of whether or not you believe my opinions are valid, they hold INFINITE amounts of weight more than your own for one defining reason: I've actually played the game.

My premise is that the game play is restricting. Unless you're making a post proving otherwise, you're doing ZERO to debunk my assessments, let alone further the discussion. You can sit and link topics and videos all you'd like, but until you play the game you have NO perspective.

-Kimosabae

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh noez. My world is falling down around me because some half-baked, has-been Melee player ignored me.

What ever am I to do?

I guess I was ignored for trolling a point that he so blithely ignores?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
It's restricted in comparison to what Melee let you do. HOWEVER, it also has a lot of things that were not me in Melee.

The game isn't Melee, but it will/is developing into something that looks to be just as fun, competitive, and maybe even better.

Have you been reading around on these boards ever since making this topic? New stuff is being found and the future for the game is looking pretty bright.

Helicore

Smash Rookie
I'll gladly eat these words with a healthy seasoning of dead particles from the hairy ****** of an AIDS infested concubine if I turn out to be totally wrong in the future.

-Kimosabae

If you are wrong about the game then I better get a front row seat to see you do this. Seriously

A person giving themself AIDS haha

SynikaL

Smash Lord
VersatileBJN:

I UNDERSTAND these things, ALL have been reiterated TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I even mention in the VERY FIRST POST that I know many new techniques will arise -- it's a new game that much is a given.

Look, let me expand on things a bit. Yes, there are many new techniques being found but how many are adding new dimensions to the game play? So far, none. Most of them are just new (and inferior) methods of approaching Melee's concepts -- which if you asked me, is the wrong approach at this point, but it's only natural that people want to find a certain level of comfort within Brawl, by seeing what they can do to make the game more familiar to them first.

Shield and Jab Cancels? C-Stick Cancels? Glide Cancels? I can go on if you'd like, I'm paying attention. But these are largely Melee techs that have changed. They still exist in a watered down game play environment were restrictive BASE MECHANICS STILL EXIST. Yes, new things have been added, but still seemingly restricted.

You can keep repeating "In relation to Melee" all you'd like, BUT GUESS WHAT? That's the only real barometer ANYONE has right now in regards to Melee and the only problem I have with Brawl now is that the mechanics (AT THIS POINT, I'll say for the 1000th time) don't seem conducive to the game play growth Melee had. Doesn't mean the game can't turn out great or even as competitive as Melee or even MORESO in the future.

But at this point, I see little reason to believe it will.

-SynikaL

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
It's been just a week, I personally don't think the melee tournament community really kicked off until we found SHFFL, wavedash and L-canceling and used them, how long did it take us to figure out all that AND use it to its potential?

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Synika: most of the people arguing in this thread clearly have little experience with true high-level, competitive Smash. For them, examples of competitive Brawl floating around are not be too far removed from what they knew and loved in Melee. Even if it turns out to be a relatively shallow affair compared to Melee, they will have no context by which to judge this. Their opinions are filtered through their understanding of previous Smash games, which, in comparison to true expert play, was a pretty shallow affair to begin with.

For these guys, Brawl will be great no matter what, and remain competitive in a scope that is acceptable to them. For some of the players here who would have risen beyond that scope, Brawl COULD (barring some extreme evolution in play style that is somehow eluding us) remain limited and relatively shallow.

It all depends on where you stand. Everyone has a different perspective on the competitive scene that is unique to them. If you lack context (i.e. haven't played some true pros and gotten absolutely DESTROYED despite years of what you thought was competitive practice like I have many times :p), it is impossible for many people here to really get what you're saying.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Synika: most of the people arguing in this thread clearly have little experience with true high-level, competitive Smash. For them, examples of competitive Brawl floating around are not be too far removed from what they knew and loved in Melee. Even if it turns out to be a relatively shallow affair compared to Melee, they will have no context by which to judge this. Their opinions are filtered through their understanding of previous Smash games, which, in comparison to true expert play, was a pretty shallow affair to begin with.

For these guys, Brawl will be great no matter what, and remain competitive in a scope that is acceptable to them. For some of the players here who would have risen beyond that scope, Brawl COULD (barring some extreme evolution in play style that is somehow eluding us) remain limited and relatively shallow.

It all depends on where you stand. Everyone has a different perspective on the competitive scene that is unique to them. If you lack context (i.e. haven't played some true pros and gotten absolutely DESTROYED despite years of what you thought was competitive practice like I have many times :p), it is impossible for many people here to really get what you're saying.
Very accurate statements. This is why I'm forced to utilize my Ignore List so often -- not in some arrogant attempt at elitism, but because it would be impossible convey my concerns to everyone of them without the context you speak of through an internet forum. I'd be on my PC 24/7. They'll continue to bring up the same points time and time again.

Also, these people are just plain rude.

-SynikaL

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed something. A lot of you guys are saying "If you don't like advanced tech don't use it!" and "Don't play against pros if you don't want to get beaten easily!" which is perfectly rational for melee. However it just isn't true anymore. With the onset of online play this is rather difficult. This may be another reason Sakurai took out a lot of tech. To kepp from scaring away casual online players.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Very accurate statements. This is why I'm forced to utilize my Ignore List so often -- not in some arrogant attempt at elitism, but because it would be impossible convey my concerns to everyone of them without the context you speak of through an internet forum. I'd be on my PC 24/7. They'll continue to bring up the same points time and time again.

Also, these people are just plain rude.

-SynikaL
Perhaps you could just not respond to their posts? The fact that they may have made a wrong point in this thread doesn't negate any future points they may have. Or, if you absolutely feel the need to ignore them, you could just put them on you're ignore list and not make a public spectacle of it.

Also, is it not incredibly rude to put them on ignore publicly based on one comment? If you don't care about the your level of rudeness, why would you expect them to care about theirs?

-edit-

It's also very rude to imply that the disagreements that people voiced are caused by a lack of skill. It's extremely presumptuous, and arrogant.

User33

Smash Journeyman
ITT: WAAAAAAAAAAAAH, THIS GAME ISN'T MELEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut up.

twdfx

Smash Cadet
"ITT: WAAAAAAAAAAAAH, THIS GAME ISN'T MELEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut up."

:|

ITT: Waaaaaaaaah, brawl is a step backwards from melee, has lackluster gameplay, and isn't a worthy sequel to melee in the VS setting.

You shut up. Play it and go back to melee, then tell us that you think it's as good. Different is fine, but only when the different = good different. This is not the case.

KnivesOut

Smash Rookie
One thing is for sure. I played Brawl yesterday, and the game itself is beautiful. The music is incredible, the game is fun, and the stages are just mindblowingly beautiful. About the game having any depth to it is an argument. I nearly died vs marth when unlocking him. Without Wavedashing, L-canceling, or Dash-Dancing you pretty much have to learn different things. We can only hope that the game has depth to it because if not...its just going to be another ****ing Soul Calibur where someone without the skill or time to the game you have has a chance of beating you if he knows the general mechanics to the game.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Sythe:

The guy below makes a good case for you. Congrats.

The rest of what you've stated is non-argument detritus I don't have time to respond to now.

Stop attempting to derail my thread, please. Only reason I haven't put you on Ignore is because you at least seem to put more thought into your posts than the others, but now I'm starting to realize you're just as narrow minded and ignorant.

I'm not here to defend myself against insults from players or debate online etiquette.

-Syn

User33

Smash Journeyman
LOL at twdx, who hasn't eveb played it, is a n00b, and acts like he's a pro. Go away little man

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
SynikaL: I'm glad you aren't giving Brawl the Thumbs down. And I agree with you quite a bit based on how you sumk your opinions up in truely objective statements.

However, due to the fact I wish to avoid trolls (as you probably saw in my last post on the other guys thread, who's name I forgot), would you be willing to talk on AIM? I just have a few questions that I don't clearly have answers for based on this thread.

Thanks ahead of time.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
those who are already making judgment that brawl is worse than melee and will forever be a dissapointing sequel are being tremendously presumptuous and naive. you are criticizing brawl's gameplay and dynamics on objective details like pros v cons/plus's and minus's comparatively to melee. melee's gameplay was great, amazingly fast, and technical. we all know that. but categorizing anything that deviates from it doesn't necessarily make it worse. brawl's metagame will be completely different and will be derived from its PLAYERS on how they adapt to the game. players, that is, who have only had the freakin game for like a week or not at all here in the US! its different, not better or worse (yet). you simply can NOT make that judgment at this time. tiers will flip-flop, new brawl-specific adv techs will be developed, mindgames will change completely, and even the community itself will change drastically due to online play. online tourneys, clans, and ppl will get better exponentially quicker. in 3 months everyone's impression of brawl will be entirely different. and in 12 months, it will evolve even further. i dunno about you but i have faith that brawl will mature into a great, competitive, online game.

1-up

Smash Journeyman
the funny thing about this thread is that synikal was on the opposite side of this argument BEFORE he played the game. he didnt go into brawl with a closed mind, he was actually more open minded about how much it sucked than all of our other friends. the fact is you cant really say much against his opinion when you havent even played the game.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Sythe:

The guy below makes a good case for you. Congrats.

The rest of what you've stated is non-argument detritus I don't have time to respond to now.

Stop attempting to derail my thread, please. Only reason I haven't put you on Ignore is because you at least seem to put more thought into your posts than the others, but now I'm starting to realize you're just as narrow minded.

-Syn
I'm narrow minded? You don't even know my views on the subject.

I'm in the middle of the road on the matter of Brawl's depth. I do think that the first impressions do imply a certain amount of dumb downed gameplay. While you do make good points I do believe that down the line Brawl has the possibility of providing us with an ample amount gameplay space to explore. That's not the issue I have a problem with.

What I do have a problem with is how you're handling the situation. You fault others for not listening to you, yet you put them on your ignore list. You express discontent towards the rudeness in other people posts, yet you assert an amount apathy towards your own exhibited arrogance. You classify me as narrow minded without hearing my views on the subject.

It's not hard to see the disparity between what you say and what you do. Perhaps if you would live up to your own standards others would be inclined to follow?

The biggest problem I have is you using your forum managing tool as a weapon. Just now, you threaten me with your ignore list, waving it around like as if you're an intimidating school teacher. If you feel the need to restrict peoples opinions from ever reaching your ears you should at least carry it out in a dignified manner. Making a public exhibition out of all of it is very unprofessional and childlike. You apparently require a certain amount of maturity from those you associate with, then you should handle these situations with a similar amount of sophistication.

Also, using a bad instance as indicative of my whole argument is a fallacy. It's a classic example argumentum ad hominem.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I'll have to agree with most of your post so far Synikal. I mean, I could change my mind but its doubtful that anything discovered will change Brawl's physics engine.

Without combos, most moves are practically useless. They exist for no purpose. Some players may consider them an easy way to pursue your opponent, but in a competitive fighter this is a sign of a game without depth. Soul Calibur 3 is a huge example of this. The first SC was a great technical piece of genius, but SC3 was just a depthless fighter with button-mashy two-hit combos that really have no use because of lag or other punishing effects.

Whats the difference between using Falcons Side-B when he can just run up and Usmash or Utilt or short-hop Uair maybe? Same with a lot of other moves that are laggy and therefore rendered useless by the new physics engine.

I don't care about the reason Sakurai did it, its still dumb. The game may not be Melee 2.0, but that doesn't mean it has to be the next SC3 either. Honestly, why shouldn't the game be better than Melee in terms of gameplay?

So yeah, whats with all the hate? You know its true so far, theres nothing that proves this wrong yet. If there is something discovered thats great, but you know this is a useful insight to some people. I don't get why people have to get so defensive about something when theres nothing they have to go against it. Most of the posts I see are just **** annoying really.

If you want to just make the call now and say the competitive scene will evolve thats cool, but only narcissists find joy in bashing another person. Not to mention that a lot of people are just being presumptuous.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to agree with most of your post so far Synikal. I mean, I could change my mind but its doubtful that anything discovered will change Brawl's physics engine.

Without combos, most moves are practically useless. They exist for no purpose. Some players may consider them an easy way to pursue your opponent, but in a competitive fighter this is a sign of a game without depth. Soul Calibur 3 is a huge example of this. The first SC was a great technical piece of genius, but SC3 was just a depthless fighter with button-mashy two-hit combos that really have no use because of lag or other punishing effects.

Whats the difference between using Falcons Side-B when he can just run up and Usmash or Utilt or short-hop Uair maybe? Same with a lot of other moves that are laggy and therefore rendered useless by the new physics engine.

I don't care about the reason Sakurai did it, its still dumb. The game may not be Melee 2.0, but that doesn't mean it has to be the next SC3 either. Honestly, why shouldn't the game be better than Melee in terms of gameplay?

So yeah, whats with all the hate? You know its true so far, theres nothing that proves this wrong yet. If there is something discovered thats great, but you know this is a useful insight to some people. I don't get why people have to get so defensive about something when theres nothing they have to go against it. Most of the posts I see are just **** annoying really.

If you want to just make the call now and say the competitive scene will evolve thats cool, but only narcissists find joy in bashing another person. Not to mention that a lot of people are just being presumptuous.
Didn't SC3 mostly stop being played because of a game breaking glitch? Other than that, it still has many fans for it's fighting system and there are tournaments among its community, just like we do at Smash. Or, did, before we made it to the MLG level big leagues. And then, that's mostly because we have more people.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman

I wholeheartedly agree. You come off a tad elitist, but you're dead on with everything else.

It's different strokes for different folks. Once we can all agree on this without flames and OMG IM GONNA IGNORE U; we'll be a much better board for it.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Just to make things ABSOLUTELY CLEAR as to were my focus is and where I am NOT willing waste it, Sythe is on ignore. I will NOT do this topic and Brawl such a disservice by getting caught up in these self-aggrandizing, side track disscussions. You wanna make a name for yourself as a more rational, sentient being than I? Do it in another thread.

Thank you.

-Syn

verditude

Smash Journeyman
-You've heard this already, but there are very few real follow ups, setups or combos. No one has figured out a consistent 2 piece outside canned strings.

Falcon's Forward B is a good example: WHY does this move exist if following up with ANYTHING is impossible? You maybe get an Up Air at 0-10%. After that, your opponent is knocked so far that you can't even consider yourself on the offensive anymore, you're practically neutral with your opponent. It's a lunging launcher with no real purpose at this point. Same deal with ALL his throws.
The "moves decrease knockback with excessive use" mechanic could add a VERY deep combo system to Brawl. Some moves cannot be comboed out of until they've been spammed a couple times; likewise, some moves cannot kill after being overused. Also, character specific traits like Lucario's damage increase could interact with this mechanic to make combos much harder to master than a "5 minute walk from the epicenter".
-Very BASIC game play mechanics are either nerfed or GONE:

Light Shield/Analog Shield Physics: GONE

Power Shield: Seemingly GONE. If you timed your Shield presses correctly, you would get a new sound effect but no Parry or Projectile reflections (no game play effect). Maybe it changed somehow, but in the 2-3 days of my friends playing, no one has witnessed PS in effect. If an overpowered projectile develops you're ****ed.
OK, I can see how this decreases depth. Im not justifying his decision, but I think Sakurai just doesn't want to reward twitching. Analog shields are probably gone so that Wiimote users don't have any disadvantages (other than playing with a crap controller). I'm personally glad that he didn't remove the short hop for the sake of Wiimote users. Now that would SUCK.
Ledge Cancel: Obviously still in, but very limiting. You only can cancel with back/down on the Control Stick (so far), so doing attacks from the ledge is very hard. Furthermore, you have to wait 1/2 a second before letting go of the ledge meaning: no invincibility off the ledge or very few frames, if any.

Crouch Cancel: GONE.
Sure. Sakurai wants to make some forms of edgeguarding (jumping out from the stage with an aerial) superior to others (edgehog, bair, re-edgegrab or something.)
CC will be missed, but it seems that Sakurai removed many of the ground techs to focus on the air-to-air game.
DashDance: No mind game potential, so it's useless as you either have to do it REALLY fast (tiny direction changes) or VERY slowly over longer distances. The only consistent spacing tool right now is walking. Ground game felt hopeless in Brawl, but not just because of this. More on that later.

Applying Fox Trotting to other forms of movement seems less viable than I thought, but it just might require a **** ton of practice.

Different Falling Speeds: GONE. Everyone has a homogenized falling speed, meaning that the meta game inherently suffers.
DD: I'm not sure of all the Melee uses of DD, however, foxtrotting back and forth seems viable for similar purposes as it can be cancelled by C-stick smashes.
Falling speeds:It doesn't seem that way to me. It looks like Lucario/Samus falls slower than Fox/Falcon still. The difference isn't as pronounced, but it looks like it's still there.
-The alleged aerial game expansion remarks made by Sakurai at this point seem silly. There is little to nothing at this point that shows the general game play has gone more aerial (outside the characters that can fly/glide or jump multiple times). If anything, it's the opposite. I don't need to mention the obvious extraction of L-Cancel. The new Air Dodge does little to expand things at this point. It's a very long animation and after the second AD without touching the ground, you plummet downwards. You still suffer considerable lag after air dodging, so the only reason I can see Sak allowing multiple ADs at this point, is to allow one to come back to the stage after ADing off accidentally.
I think the aerial expansion Sakurai was trying to implement meant air-to-air combat, not attacking grounded opponents with aerials. This is evident in reduced falling speed, as well as the new air dodge and upB system, where you don't always go into fallspecial afterwards. The fall-after-AD#2 thing may be a noob-friendly measure to prevent juggles, as is done in other competitive fighting games.
-This game was made to be played with items. I believe this whole heartedly. The only character that could kill before 100% consistently was Ike, so he won most of the matches. Killing off the sides for most characters doesn't happen until closer to 200%. Characters are so floaty, they often make it back to the stage without using their second or third jumps, they simply Air Control towards the stage -- often even after being intercepted by an offstage attack. Brawl tournaments will never finish within a reasonable time frame at this pace. This game was not meant to be competitive.
That's 'cause people were spamming their kill moves like in Melee. You can't do that anymore. Almost all of Ike's moves are kill moves, so he doesn't have to spam one or two.
-Attempting Edge Guards at this point feels pointless with the auto sweet spot feature. This is why in vids, players seem so illogical when trying to edge guard. A character can sweet spot FROM ALMOST 2 CHARACTER LENGTHS AWAY.
Jump out after 'em. If they can get back easily, so can you. This is the same air-to-air combat I referenced earlier.
In one situation, I was playing a timed Stock match, Ike vs. Fox. After going up one stock, I started ******* around and started dropping beneath the stage and regrabbing the ledge with his Up B. Fox could do nothing. Not only was it hard to attack me because of the Auto Sweet spot, he couldn't Shine because of the Super Armor present all throughout Ike's Up B. I got the time down to 20 seconds before I accidentally killed myself.
There were illegal stalls in Melee (Peach wallbombing, Jiggly's rising pound). If this is legitimately an infinite stall, it will be banned.
-This was my the strangest problem with this game. The game, amazingly, seems to have control issues. I don't know if it's just the nature of the new system and there's a mechanic we're not aware of, flirting with us, so I can't say for sure -- but everyone found themselves turning the opposite direction or jumping randomly when generally playing. It was quite annoying, the controls just don't feel very tight. This may be us just not being very good yet, but it's something that I don't remember experiencing in the previous games. It happened most after landing an aerial or trying to DashDance and was completely ****ing over the ground game.

If you pay attention to the vids, you can actually see other players having the same problem. Like I said, it's probably some mechanic no one's pegged yet, but it really got in the way of things. The seemingly random Tripping mechanic really didn't help things either.
I dunno, maybe your Gamecube controllers are getting old :p And I seriously doubt tripping is random. It seems like it happens when people try to dash during post-lag for something, like a smash or an aerial.
The philosophy governing the development of this game is clear to me: this is a party game with fighting game aesthetics. Glitches and techniques will likely develop (like any other type of game) but they'll all exist within a paradigm of severe restrictions.

This game reminds me so much of the transition from Halo1 to Halo 2, but just way more drastic. I predict high level play in the future will consist mostly of glitches that don't completely break the general game play (just like Halo 2). New school players will stick with it, old school players will likely opt out (such as myself).
Even though it's more party-oriented, I don't see why it can't be a fighting game with pretty good depth. The benefits and drawbacks of spamming attacks will go way over the head of the casual player.
I'll gladly eat these words with a healthy seasoning of dead particles from the hairy ****** of an AIDS infested concubine if I turn out to be totally wrong in the future.

I'll let you guys know when I get the game later.

-Kimosabae
Your impressions are very justifiable for a pro player who has an idea of what competitive Smash looks like. I understand you guys didn't want Melee 2.0, but I feel Brawl may be a deep fighter in its own right.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
This.

It really only takes five minutes of experimentation to realize that a move like Falcon's side B can not be followed up by anything. Like the OP says, you can MAYBE get a uair in at 0-10% but after that it's just a vertical launcher with no real utility. Like I said, it only takes a few minutes to realize that this is the case, PERIOD, years of metagame development be ****ed.

Again, I'm not condemning Brawl, I'm really excited to play it and I plan on having lots of fun. Just my observations.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
VersatileBJN:

I UNDERSTAND these things, ALL have been reiterated TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I even mention in the VERY FIRST POST that I know many new techniques will arise -- it's a new game that much is a given.

Look, let me expand on things a bit. Yes, there are many new techniques being found but how many are adding new dimensions to the game play? So far, none. Most of them are just new (and inferior) methods of approaching Melee's concepts -- which if you asked me, is the wrong approach at this point, but it's only natural that people want to find a certain level of comfort within Brawl, by seeing what they can do to make the game more familiar to them first.

Shield and Jab Cancels? C-Stick Cancels? Glide Cancels? I can go on if you'd like, I'm paying attention. But these are largely Melee techs that have changed. They still exist in a watered down game play environment were restrictive BASE MECHANICS STILL EXIST. Yes, new things have been added, but still seemingly restricted.

You can keep repeating "In relation to Melee" all you'd like, BUT GUESS WHAT? That's the only real barometer ANYONE has right now in regards to Melee and the only problem I have with Brawl now is that the mechanics (AT THIS POINT, I'll say for the 1000th time) don't seem conducive to the game play growth Melee had. Doesn't mean the game can't turn out great or even as competitive as Melee or even MORESO in the future.

But at this point, I see little reason to believe it will.

-SynikaL
Why do you say it is watered down, though? Because there's no lag cancel and wave dashing? You do realize that 90% of fighting games have moves that are unsafe right? They are normally rewarding, but punishable if blocked. What is so bad about Smash introducing this concept by getting rid of the l-cancel?

The combos have been 'watered down" I suppose, but with the discovery of moves having less knock back and power the more you use them, combos can be deeper than ever. Even if combos aren't as elaborate and pretty as they were in Melee, it seems there is still enough new things that it won't bother most once they've adjusted to the new mechanics.

User33

Smash Journeyman
This entire thread is incredibly childish. The whole thing is name calling, and "You're going on my ignore list, wah wah wah. I propose that this thread be closed, it really is stupid.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
This entire thread is incredibly childish. The whole thing is name calling, and "You're going on my ignore list, wah wah wah. I propose that this thread be closed, it really is stupid.
Except for the few people who are actually discussing why Brawl doesn't need X tech to be a deep fighter in its own right.

Top Bottom