• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SynikaL's Brawl Impressions: "When Hearts Cry" Edition

Zink

Smash Champion
Call me stupid but how do I do that? :p Nice to see the sensible players here don't respond with n00b or scrub but actually try to explain why. I don't know how many players I've replied too on the boards telling them there points for advanced techs being lame is absolutely dumb but atleast they stop after that.
click on name -> view profile -> add to ignore list.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
He doesn't want to admit it, but he does actually.
His post consists of him talking about how the mechanics of the game are prohibitive of the development of the competitive side of the game, then going on to hope that someone finds something that makes the game competitive without having to break out of the confines of the mechanics.
thats my point his post consists of him talking about how meele is different than brawl, then when someone tries to point out that it is a new game and it is different, he gets all worked up about it. I mean y make the topic if u dont want talk about it, all he wants to do is try and pass off his views of the game with the fellow community as it were fact, everyone already knows the techniques taken out and such. we know its a new game and people are enjoying it, thats the the first step to making sumthing competitve not the game engine...

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
To those that say that comparing the video’s don't apply. That is in no way true.
Brawl is a different game and you shouldn't think that your past Melee experiences should make Brawl come naturally to you and become instantly as competitive as Melee is after several years.

When falco was first unlocked, everyone noticed that he had lasers, right? Well as years whent by those lasers, coupled with the techs that came after time, became a huge part of falco's game.
Did you see Foward's laser storm!?
When Falco was first unlocked did anyone ever think that the slower shooter of the two would ever be able to spam that fast?

Who are we to judge a game without giving it time? We have no idea what time will bring us.

For all we know, in a year's time there maybe a new tech that is discovered that when put in the hands of Pit, makes Foward's laser spam look slow.

Pay attention to Diddy's banana game. I saw a vid where one banana sent ROB slipping 3 times in a row. There's potential there and we don't know if any new techs will improve Diddy's banana game to the point where it completely defines Diddy. Like fox's shine.

Also there's already some techs that have been discovered.
I've seen a video displaying with RAR can do with Toon Link. Now put that in the hands of Ike with his crazy powerful and quick bair.
Or
Use Jab canceling for Gannon. His Jab is already powerful, and Jab canceling (along with potential new techs) may more then make up for his loss of L cancel.

Then again, maybe none of this happens and no new techs will be discovered, but we don't know and we should give Brawl time before we pass judgment.

Besides whay syn said I would like too say you can see a lot of potential on the vids of the early stages of melee. They look a lot more appealing then the brawl vids do... . It just shows melee was awesome and the later vids show it got absolutely amazingly awesome. Let's see what we manage to do with brawl.
Sorry, I can’t agree with you on that. Not only is this just a opinion ,but unless you can tell me exactly how Melee’s early play showed more promise then Brawl, it is also without justification.

wow, I appreciate this thread so much. cool to know that my fears of brawl being terrible because of the design paradigm were justified.

But seriously, this board in general pisses me off. Every time someone (even someone with clout) speaks ill of brawl a cascade of n00blets with join dates in late 2007-2008 begin a chorus of "MELEE 2.0, MELEE 2.0" as though they wanted to make it absolutely obvious that they can't think for themselves and have never had an original idea in their entire life.
I doubt you were directing this to me, but I don’t see how join dates have anything to do with my ability to form my own opinions…
I agree that those who have been on this boards longer have opinions that weight more, but that doesn’t mean that all the naive people are the one’s with newer join dates.
I’m a newer member -_-

Anyway, my point in all this is still that it is far to early to be giving Brawl the final verdict.
Time molded Melee, and we should give time the chance to do the same for Brawl.

No guarantees, but still, just wait for it.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Sure, people are enjoying it, and maybe it's the first step to making a game competitive, but it's like trying to say you can make a car work by willpower.
If the machine is physically incapable of completing the task, then no amount of enjoyment is going to fix it.
I'm not saying brawl is the physically incapable machine, but opening impressions of a whole lot of competitive players say that they don't see much room for development here.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I'm glad Phanna finally stepped in and said what needed to be said. He is totally right about everything. Even though some of the Brawl-haters claim to have not had any expectations coming in from Melee, they clearly at least had some. Now, I can understand SynikaL's complaint about how he feels the game is confining. That's a perfectly legitimate complaint. However, I think that when time has passed and the game has been exposed more, things will work out. You can call me optimistic or whatever but I truly feel that the game's mechaincs will end up working out fine. They may be different from Melee, but I am certain that they will work.

Besides Phanna, I think Dogenzaka has the best view of the game in the thread. Pros will still win matches, but it won't be accomplished in the same manner as it was in Melee. Every game has some cheap moves that allow beginners to ward off advanced players somewhat, so don't say Brawl is too noob friendly. Even in Melee the most inexperienced player can come in and just spam Thunder with Pikachu and put up a good fight against pros with certain characters (like Captain Falcon who has no projectiles). The point is that there will still be competitive gameplay and all of that, so stop worrying, give the game time to blossom, learn whatever techniques you can, and HAVE FUN. That's the whole point.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
its not true ive seen the game be competive even this early, yes its very different than meele but i see potential in the videos, i dont even know if ill like the game or not, ive been playing melee 2 years proffesionaly and when iheard a new smash was coming out i knew that it wouldnt live up to meele, because i consider meele the perfect game. Now that brawl is upon us there is chaos in the smash community, so ive decided too completly forget everthing id done for meele, and except brawl for what it is and it is still smash from what ive seen. i just want to have fun with this gsme if it end up being as good or better than meele down the line then i will be there if not ill be trying to get people to like it and forget about meele... dont forget melee is perfect

maian

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, the arguing in this thread is ridiculous. On one hand, there's the competitive elitists, saying "WHAT DO YOU KNOW YOU IGNORANT ***GOT FASTFALLING DRAMTICALLY ETC ETC EAT A **** SMASH N00B", or the non competitive, yet interested Smash players ragging on them for not having lives and arguing on internet forums about what "glitch" works better.

I myself am not a competitive player, but I'll respect those who are. This is an online Smash community, and naturally, the best and most experienced will be here, as well as people that never thought about being competitive, but love the game. Anyone who's interested in Smash belongs here. It's the trolling arguing ******* that need to go. I got interested in Metal Gear Solid last year over spring break. Do I not have a right to post at metalgearsolid.org because I haven't gotten FOXHOUND rank and beaten each game on European Extreme six times? No. I liked it, and the boards got me more into it.

That being said, I'm going to stop with that, because I skipped most of the pages, but the first few contained said arguing. =X

Anyhow, about Brawl:

Naturally, being non competitive, I don't mind the supposed nerfs in Brawl. I am however, pretty disappointed in people uninterested at all, just because it lacks elements Melee has. Chances are, you WILL enjoy Brawl. And I'm willing to guarantee that new Advanced Techniques WILL be found after it's out for awhile. I know barely any existed in the N64 era, but honestly, no one picked up the game, and was like "Hmm, if I air dodge and barely jump at all, I slide! Wow, what an advantage! I'm going to call this wavedashing!" No. Advanced Techniques WILL rise. The game is different than Melee, and yes, probably less complex. But it's different, not worse. Granted, I haven't played it, but that's my general opinion. It is easy to say Melee looked way more exciting, but that's way more logical. It was a complete graphical overhaul, a new, refined gameplay style, and it added way more. SSB64 was a game originally only set for Japan with a low budget. When a new, mastered, big budget next gen sequal arrives, of course it's going to be Revolutionary for the series.

People are expecting this game to be an upgrade from Melee and it's advanced mechanics. It's not. If anything, it's a downgrade. I wish more people wouldn't think of that as a bad thing. And yes, I use some advanced techs here and there. I will be sad that there's no L Cancel, but I'll get used to it, and I'll enjoy Brawl.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I don't know how often I should stress this. This is not the same situation as with ssb64 > melee. We have so much experience and knowledge of smash as a whole now that you see these posibilities immidiatly. Your saying falco's lasering abilities defined him after it was figured out but we know that now. There just so much you can do and only so far you can tweak it. We know what to expect from chars regarding their moveset we can test some stuff with it and we can test how pivoting is affected ( which seems to be the majority of the discoveries right now) but thats not that influential at all. The important thing is right now and the major concern that we now know we need to look in the direction of aiming and airdodge to find if it has an effect( wavedashing). We know were we need to look now and thus it goes much faster and you just spot stuff that seems to be a major cause of concern. There's only so much a character can do. A lot of it is similiar to melee and you could come up with the effect of a change yourself. What striked me the most since brawl got released is that unlike I had with melee this game doesn't give me the idea there is a lot more to be discovered.

I'm gonna test it today so I'll see if I have to change my opinion. I really hope I do ...

Zink

Smash Champion
Look how quickly stuff is being found already. Shield cancel grab. Gliding throw. Moonwalk. While I feel exactly as you do, Syn, I do have faith that an intellectually interesting metagame will develop.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
The newer posters here who are saying all this stuff about how we are all whining about the possibility that Brawl won't be very competitive need to realize that this is not just a Smash Bros forum.
There are plenty of those elsewhere.

This is first and foremost a COMPETITIVE Smash forum.

Of course we're all going to buy Smash.
Of course we're all going to play it.

The question is how long will it remain interesting.

Spamming smash attacks all day is fine for a few weeks or maybe months, but Brawl simply won't be a very interesting game to play at a competitive level if that's all there is.

No casual player seems to be willing to realize that Melee's competitive scene lasted as long as it did SPECIFICALLY because of the Advanced Techs. Anyone could play without them and one doesn't need them to be a pro, but they made the game infinitely more complex and deep.

Without new ATs to continue to learn and master over the years, everyone will master Brawl in a few months and there will be nothing more to prove. Yea there will be tournaments, but the majority of competitive players will either retire or continue playing Melee because Brawl simply won't be very interesting.

To the non-competitive players and newer posters, please try to understand why the competitive majority here is disappointed by the way Brawl seems now.
If our worst fears are confirmed, Brawl will be just another Nintendo game for 10 - 15 year olds that older players will only play at parties from time to time instead of the very deep and interesting competitive game that Melee was.

jtanic

Smash Journeyman
alexandria, virginia 4 or 3 stock, no items, i rec
i haven't played the game yet but from what i can tell both sides have valid reasons to complain or be happy , myself.....i'm a competetive player and mastered or got close to mastering those old techniques (i used to love using the light shield while protecting my feet or head) but in my opinion i still think brawl is gonna be fun and probably will be better than melee overall because of all the new stages, graphics, weapons, characters, create a stage ect....and also i still think this game is gonna be super competetive, i played with azen and chillindude so many times over the years and they're skills go beyond just being able to wavedash and cancelling i think guys like that will still be able to be dominant over weaker foes because mindgames kill and that goes for most fighting games even the shallowest ones and who knows maybe now that all those techniques/glitches are gone brawl will hopefully force players into becoming smarter more accurate players.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
While the TC's point is quite valid, I think we should all realise something important:

We probably won't be getting another Smash Bros game again. We should make the most of the last installment, and extract its every potential.

Secondly, I believe that while the universal advanced tactics are out, a lot of character-specific ones have already been discovered, many of these are playing on the new elements that are introduced by this game, especially aerial A moves that actually change a character's trajectory.

We really need to stop being disappointed with Brawl and treat it as a new game. Edgeguarding will be taken further off stage than in Melee, and we'll just have to accept the fact that some aerial moves can't be used close to the ground without lag.

If you clear your mindset entirely and just approach the game from the perspective of someone who's playing Smash for the first time, it's not so disappointing. A bunch of new advanced techniques have already been discovered and it's looking better as time goes by.

As for that Ike super armor ledgestalling trick, Ike only has super armor frames while the sword is not in his hand. It would be possible to follow him down as he drops and hit him with a Nair. Fox won't die from this because he doesn't fall so fast any more.

As soon as Brawl was announced, I stopped playing Melee altogether because I KNEW that the game would be somewhat different. There's no point me getting comfortable with the old game if the new one will require adjustment.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Certainly you are a philosopher of the ages!

-edit-

Also, the main arguement aside, I feel the need to point out how childish it is to not only block people based on keyworded phrases but also to threaten them with such a block. SynikaL's posts, while perhaps well worded, certainly reek of elitism and aggression that causes such illwill towards the tournament scene. Perhaps he needs to look into this.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Look how quickly stuff is being found already. Shield cancel grab. Gliding throw. Moonwalk. While I feel exactly as you do, Syn, I do have faith that an intellectually interesting metagame will develop.
That's because the competitive smash scene's gotten so technical we can find hidden advanced techs this fast.

The Moonwalk isn't even new, it's just one of the old techs we tried out and "rediscovered". The Shield Cancel Grab isn't exactly new either. In Melee, it was an alternative to Jumpcancel Grabbing (though much less reliable) so I'm guessing this is how it was discovered.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
Everyday I wake up and I see that at least 2 more advanced techs have been discovered. I think that we are really getting ahead of ourselves and are expecting this game to be like melee was right out of the box. Getting a metagame takes time I think that we should give this game a little more than a week for the metagame to develop.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I just want combos back. From the looks of it, no amount of advanced techniques can bring them back, because the new DI is consistent and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. All I've seen are 2-3 hit combos, maybe just a little more but only on heavy characters. Mindgames will still be there in some form, but combos make the lack of them less boring at least.

Its not that I'm not optimistic about Brawl, but I just think combos would inch it more towards perfection. Its a shallow request I know, but Brawl might not take Melee's spot without them to me.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Kite:

Unfortunately I've got a compatibility issue with my motherboard and the current Wiikeys, so it'll be a few more days before the new ones come in and the work is done on my system. You're going to have to get those impressions from another. Sorry.

Xengri:

Unfortunately, you're very wrong and I'm telling you from experience. Not only did I cite specific examples, but Brawl exists as a defining one: All of the techniques found so far in Brawl are due to our familiarity with Melee. We are experienced enough with the franchise and its base mechanics at this point to know what to look for and how to look for it.

Isai Drop? Pivot (though this isn't really a Pivot as we know it from Melee)? None of these would have been discovered so quickly without our experience with Melee, as first time players are not the ones bringing them to our attention.

Seifersythe:

It's easy to take what you consider to be a high-road perspective when you're not the one personally dealing with ignorant strawman fallacies, continuously.

Yes, putting these people on my ignore is elitist, but unfortunately it is a sacrifice of character I deem necessary to keep my discussions and perusing focused and civil -- not to mention the preservation of sanity is of utmost importance to me. Semantical serenades will not disentangle the crux, just obscure it further.

-Kimosabae

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Synikal, what do you think of the tourney vids from Gimpy's thread? You make good points in your original post but I'm wondering if you were taken back at all after seeing those videos.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
I even convinced myself that L-Cancel wouldn't be necessary, because I felt the game play changes would expand Brawl to new horizons that made it unnecessary. In my 6 hours of playing (and everyone elses 2-3 days of playing), the game makes it clear there are new horizons -- just that every one of them seems to be a 5 minute stroll from the epicenter.

Brawls design philosophy is the culprit. As stated, Brawl's game play mechanics are clearly and INTENTIONALLY limiting.

L-cancelling was unintentional and was likely intentionally removed. No sane game developer would implement such a convoluted mechanic to the game.

-You've heard this already, but there are very few real follow ups, setups or combos. No one has figured out a consistent 2 piece outside canned strings.

Falcon's Forward B is a good example: WHY does this move exist if following up with ANYTHING is impossible? You maybe get an Up Air at 0-10%. After that, your opponent is knocked so far that you can't even consider yourself on the offensive anymore, you're practically neutral with your opponent. It's a lunging launcher with no real purpose at this point. Same deal with ALL his throws.

I've yet to see a 'Combo' counter pop up during a game of Brawl. I know there is one in the background, but definitely not in the way it would be implemented for a normal 2D fighting game.

-Very BASIC game play mechanics are either nerfed or GONE:

Light Shield/Analog Shield Physics: GONE

This makes sense. Analog shielding would put wii remote users at a disadvantage.

Power Shield: Seemingly GONE. If you timed your Shield presses correctly, you would get a new sound effect but no Parry or Projectile reflections (no game play effect). Maybe it changed somehow, but in the 2-3 days of my friends playing, no one has witnessed PS in effect. If an overpowered projectile develops you're ****ed.

In my experience, when you get that new sound effect, depending on your placement relative to your opponent, you can either grab them or roll out.

Ledge Cancel: Obviously still in, but very limiting. You only can cancel with back/down on the Control Stick (so far), so doing attacks from the ledge is very hard. Furthermore, you have to wait 1/2 a second before letting go of the ledge meaning: no invincibility off the ledge or very few frames, if any.

I have never ledge cancelled, so I can't really say how much this change matters.

Crouch Cancel: GONE.

DashDance: No mindgame potential, so it's useless as you either have to do it REALLY fast (tiny direction changes) or VERY slowly over longer distances. The only consistent spacing tool right now is walking. Ground game felt hopeless in Brawl, but not just because of this. More on that later.

Applying Fox Trotting to other forms of movement seems less viable than I thought, but it just might require a **** ton of practice.

I never used either of these techniques in Melee.

Different Falling Speeds: GONE. Everyone has a homogenized falling speed, meaning that the meta game inherently suffers.

I would say this is less of a nerfed/removed gameplay mechanic and more of a change implemented for Brawl.

-The alleged aerial game expansion remarks made by Sakurai at this point seem silly. There is little to nothing at this point that shows the general game play has gone more aerial (outside the characters that can fly/glide or jump multiple times). If anything, it's the opposite. I don't need to mention the obvious extraction of L-Cancel. The new Air Dodge does little to expand things at this point. It's a very long animation and after the second AD without touching the ground, you plummet downwards. You still suffer considerable lag after air dodging, so the only reason I can see Sak allowing multiple ADs at this point, is to allow one to come back to the stage after ADing off accidentally.

Sakurai was likely talking about the gliding/number of jumps/flying. Other than that, the aerial game seems the same to me.

-This game was made to be played with items. I believe this whole heartedly. The only character that could kill before 100% consistently was Ike, so he won most of the matches. Killing off the sides for most characters doesn't happen until closer to 200%. Characters are so floaty, they often make it back to the stage without using their second or third jumps, they simply Air Control towards the stage -- often even after being intercepted by an offstage attack. Brawl tournaments will never finish within a reasonable time frame at this pace. This game was not meant to be competitive.

That statement is almost completely wrong. I'll agree that the characters seem "floaty," but there's nothing wrong with that. I'll also agree that 4-stock matches take significantly longer now than they would in Melee. My friends and I noticed that within a half-hour of first playing the game, and have since changed the default amount of stock to 3, which is just right.

The game was meant to be played one way, and one way only:

Our way. This is why we are able to customize Brawl matches so much. All characters can be unlocked without touching SSE or Classic mode once. They can also be unlocked without playing a single Brawl (Vs.) match. Some can be unlocked without participating in Brawl, Classic, OR SSE (10 item deflections or whatever for Ness can be done in Multi-Man Melee).

We have a Stage Builder now. A friend and I just ended a day of Brawl by creating a custom stage. We cooperatively built the stage from nothing, tested it within the editor as well as in actual Brawls, revised it, then tested it some more, then added/removed objects as we deemed necessary, until we were satisfied with how the stage played out. The Stage Builder alone is robust enough to keep people entertained for hours, just building levels.

I must also disagree with your comment about the game not being made to be competitive. It is far too balanced as it is for such a judgement to be reached. I'll admit that certain aspects (which can be disabled/avoided) are not suitable for competitive play, but the game as a whole was meant to be enjoyed by everyone. It was made not just for competitive players, not just for casual players, not for people who just want a new game that brings back fond memories of the past, but for everyone.

-Attempting Edge Guards at this point feels pointless with the auto sweetspot feature. This is why in vids, players seem so illogical when trying to edgeguard. A character can sweetspot FROM ALMOST 2 CHARACTER LENGTHS AWAY.

In one situation, I was playing a timed Stock match, Ike vs. Fox. After going up one stock, I started ******* around and started dropping beneath the stage and regrabbing the ledge with his Up B. Fox could do nothing. Not only was it hard to attack me because of the Auto Sweetspot, he couldn't Shine because of the Super Armor present all throughout Ike's Up B. I got the time down to 20 seconds before I accidentally killed myself.

Didn't you say yourself earlier that there was a half-second wait after dropping from a ledge to attack? Isn't that plenty of time for Fox to grab the ledge?

-This was my the strangest problem with this game. The game, amazingly, seems to have control issues. I don't know if it's just the nature of the new system and there's a mechanic we're not aware of, flirting with us, so I can't say for sure -- but everyone found themselves turning the opposite direction or jumping randomly when generally playing. It was quite annoying, the controls just don't feel very tight. This may be us just not being very good yet, but it's something that I don't remember experiencing in the previous games. It happened most after landing an aerial or trying to DashDance and was completely ****ing over the ground game.

That happened to me quite a bit before I turned off the Tap Jump feature (keeps the control stick from causing jumps). Now, that never happens (as long as I remember to select my name when I select a character)

If you pay attention to the vids, you can actually see other players having the same problem. Like I said, it's probably some mechanic no one's pegged yet, but it really got in the way of things. The seemingly random Tripping mechanic really didn't help things either.

I couldn't get to the bottom of the tripping, and neither could my friends. Sometimes, a slip and fall means the loss of a match, so we assumed it is what Sakurai was talking about when he said a new player could beat a pro player every once in a while.

The philosophy governing the development of this game is clear to me: this is a party game with fighting game aesthetics. Glitches and techniques will likely develop (like any other type of game) but they'll all exist within a paradigm of severe restrictions.

This game is whatever we want it to be. The amount of configuration and personalization allowed in this game makes it hard to categorize. Glitches and advanced techniques developing is inevitable, but there are no "severe restrictions." Brawl is a new game with new rules. I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again: if you want a game with Melee's rules, Melee's techniques, and Melee's feel, play Melee. Do not get upset when you find that Brawl is different.

This game reminds me so much of the transition from Halo1 to Halo 2, but just way more drastic. I predict high level play in the future will consist mostly of glitches that don't completely break the general game play (just like Halo 2). New school players will stick with it, old school players will likely opt out (such as myself).

I would say it feels like the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 3 (except for the graphics).

I'll gladly eat these words with a healthy seasoning of dead particles from the hairy ****** of an AIDS infested concubine if I turn out to be totally wrong in the future.

Bull****!

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Any game that alienates half it's cast with balance breaking techs is badly made in the first place, doesn't matter how successful it is, it could be at least two times better. We'll need years to find out if brawl is goig to have the competitive depth that melee does, but if the same mistakes were made with balancing, I'll only be going to low level tournaments so I can actually use the characters I want.

Sliq

Smash Master
I just watched some Brawl matches from getyouttournament on youtube, and Brawl looks cool, so I'm going to be hopeful.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any game that alienates half it's cast with balance breaking techs is badly made in the first place, doesn't matter how successful it is, it could be at least two times better. We'll need years to find out if brawl is goig to have the competitive depth that melee does, but if the same mistakes were made with balancing, I'll only be going to low level tournaments so I can actually use the characters I want.
See, there's that illogical thinking rearing it's ugly head again.

How the heck did the existence of things such as wavedashing and L-canceling alianate anyone from Melee? Show me one single (smart) player who saw, say, wavedashing, and then said "You know what, I can't play this game anymore. Never mind that I'll never use it. Never mind that none of the other casual players I know will ever use it. The mere existence of wavedashing alianates me from the game".

It's like watching a debate about gay marriage. Show me one straight marriage that's gotten broken up because they saw two guys holding hands. Same logic.

Nobody forced people to wavedash, L-Cancel, float-cancel, etc. If they wanted to remain casual players, they were free to ignore the Advanced Techs and stick to their basics. The only "problem" would arise if a Casual Player faced off against a Competitive Player, but the Competitive Player most probably had them beat in the Mindgames department, anyway. And how often would Noob #29001 play, say, Ken, anyway?

And if Noob #29001 got destroyed and didn't like it, he was free to go back to his newbie friends instead of challenging elite players. No one's forcing anyone to use advanced techs or be crushed by pros.

Mr.C

Smash Master
I even convinced myself that L-Cancel wouldn't be necessary, because I felt the game play changes would expand Brawl to new horizons that made it unnecessary. In my 6 hours of playing (and everyone elses 2-3 days of playing), the game makes it clear there are new horizons -- just that every one of them seems to be a 5 minute stroll from the epicenter.

Brawls design philosophy is the culprit. As stated, Brawl's game play mechanics are clearly and INTENTIONALLY limiting.

L-cancelling was unintentional and was likely intentionally removed. No sane game developer would implement such a convoluted mechanic to the game.

-You've heard this already, but there are very few real follow ups, setups or combos. No one has figured out a consistent 2 piece outside canned strings.

Falcon's Forward B is a good example: WHY does this move exist if following up with ANYTHING is impossible? You maybe get an Up Air at 0-10%. After that, your opponent is knocked so far that you can't even consider yourself on the offensive anymore, you're practically neutral with your opponent. It's a lunging launcher with no real purpose at this point. Same deal with ALL his throws.

I've yet to see a 'Combo' counter pop up during a game of Brawl. I know there is one in the background, but definitely not in the way it would be implemented for a normal 2D fighting game.

-Very BASIC game play mechanics are either nerfed or GONE:

Light Shield/Analog Shield Physics: GONE

This makes sense. Analog shielding would put wii remote users at a disadvantage.

Power Shield: Seemingly GONE. If you timed your Shield presses correctly, you would get a new sound effect but no Parry or Projectile reflections (no game play effect). Maybe it changed somehow, but in the 2-3 days of my friends playing, no one has witnessed PS in effect. If an overpowered projectile develops you're ****ed.

In my experience, when you get that new sound effect, depending on your placement relative to your opponent, you can either grab them or roll out.

Ledge Cancel: Obviously still in, but very limiting. You only can cancel with back/down on the Control Stick (so far), so doing attacks from the ledge is very hard. Furthermore, you have to wait 1/2 a second before letting go of the ledge meaning: no invincibility off the ledge or very few frames, if any.

I have never ledge cancelled, so I can't really say how much this change matters.

Crouch Cancel: GONE.

DashDance: No mindgame potential, so it's useless as you either have to do it REALLY fast (tiny direction changes) or VERY slowly over longer distances. The only consistent spacing tool right now is walking. Ground game felt hopeless in Brawl, but not just because of this. More on that later.

Applying Fox Trotting to other forms of movement seems less viable than I thought, but it just might require a **** ton of practice.

I never used either of these techniques in Melee.

Different Falling Speeds: GONE. Everyone has a homogenized falling speed, meaning that the meta game inherently suffers.

I would say this is less of a nerfed/removed gameplay mechanic and more of a change implemented for Brawl.

-The alleged aerial game expansion remarks made by Sakurai at this point seem silly. There is little to nothing at this point that shows the general game play has gone more aerial (outside the characters that can fly/glide or jump multiple times). If anything, it's the opposite. I don't need to mention the obvious extraction of L-Cancel. The new Air Dodge does little to expand things at this point. It's a very long animation and after the second AD without touching the ground, you plummet downwards. You still suffer considerable lag after air dodging, so the only reason I can see Sak allowing multiple ADs at this point, is to allow one to come back to the stage after ADing off accidentally.

Sakurai was likely talking about the gliding/number of jumps/flying. Other than that, the aerial game seems the same to me.

-This game was made to be played with items. I believe this whole heartedly. The only character that could kill before 100% consistently was Ike, so he won most of the matches. Killing off the sides for most characters doesn't happen until closer to 200%. Characters are so floaty, they often make it back to the stage without using their second or third jumps, they simply Air Control towards the stage -- often even after being intercepted by an offstage attack. Brawl tournaments will never finish within a reasonable time frame at this pace. This game was not meant to be competitive.

That statement is almost completely wrong. I'll agree that the characters seem "floaty," but there's nothing wrong with that. I'll also agree that 4-stock matches take significantly longer now than they would in Melee. My friends and I noticed that within a half-hour of first playing the game, and have since changed the default amount of stock to 3, which is just right.

The game was meant to be played one way, and one way only:

Our way. This is why we are able to customize Brawl matches so much. All characters can be unlocked without touching SSE or Classic mode once. They can also be unlocked without playing a single Brawl (Vs.) match. Some can be unlocked without participating in Brawl, Classic, OR SSE (10 item deflections or whatever for Ness can be done in Multi-Man Melee).

We have a Stage Builder now. A friend and I just ended a day of Brawl by creating a custom stage. We cooperatively built the stage from nothing, tested it within the editor as well as in actual Brawls, revised it, then tested it some more, then added/removed objects as we deemed necessary, until we were satisfied with how the stage played out. The Stage Builder alone is robust enough to keep people entertained for hours, just building levels.

I must also disagree with your comment about the game not being made to be competitive. It is far too balanced as it is for such a judgement to be reached. I'll admit that certain aspects (which can be disabled/avoided) are not suitable for competitive play, but the game as a whole was meant to be enjoyed by everyone. It was made not just for competitive players, not just for casual players, not for people who just want a new game that brings back fond memories of the past, but for everyone.

-Attempting Edge Guards at this point feels pointless with the auto sweetspot feature. This is why in vids, players seem so illogical when trying to edgeguard. A character can sweetspot FROM ALMOST 2 CHARACTER LENGTHS AWAY.

In one situation, I was playing a timed Stock match, Ike vs. Fox. After going up one stock, I started ******* around and started dropping beneath the stage and regrabbing the ledge with his Up B. Fox could do nothing. Not only was it hard to attack me because of the Auto Sweetspot, he couldn't Shine because of the Super Armor present all throughout Ike's Up B. I got the time down to 20 seconds before I accidentally killed myself.

Didn't you say yourself earlier that there was a half-second wait after dropping from a ledge to attack? Isn't that plenty of time for Fox to grab the ledge?

-This was my the strangest problem with this game. The game, amazingly, seems to have control issues. I don't know if it's just the nature of the new system and there's a mechanic we're not aware of, flirting with us, so I can't say for sure -- but everyone found themselves turning the opposite direction or jumping randomly when generally playing. It was quite annoying, the controls just don't feel very tight. This may be us just not being very good yet, but it's something that I don't remember experiencing in the previous games. It happened most after landing an aerial or trying to DashDance and was completely ****ing over the ground game.

That happened to me quite a bit before I turned off the Tap Jump feature (keeps the control stick from causing jumps). Now, that never happens (as long as I remember to select my name when I select a character)

If you pay attention to the vids, you can actually see other players having the same problem. Like I said, it's probably some mechanic no one's pegged yet, but it really got in the way of things. The seemingly random Tripping mechanic really didn't help things either.

I couldn't get to the bottom of the tripping, and neither could my friends. Sometimes, a slip and fall means the loss of a match, so we assumed it is what Sakurai was talking about when he said a new player could beat a pro player every once in a while.

The philosophy governing the development of this game is clear to me: this is a party game with fighting game aesthetics. Glitches and techniques will likely develop (like any other type of game) but they'll all exist within a paradigm of severe restrictions.

This game is whatever we want it to be. The amount of configuration and personalization allowed in this game makes it hard to categorize. Glitches and advanced techniques developing is inevitable, but there are no "severe restrictions." Brawl is a new game with new rules. I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again: if you want a game with Melee's rules, Melee's techniques, and Melee's feel, play Melee. Do not get upset when you find that Brawl is different.

This game reminds me so much of the transition from Halo1 to Halo 2, but just way more drastic. I predict high level play in the future will consist mostly of glitches that don't completely break the general game play (just like Halo 2). New school players will stick with it, old school players will likely opt out (such as myself).

I would say it feels like the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 3 (except for the graphics).

I'll gladly eat these words with a healthy seasoning of dead particles from the hairy ****** of an AIDS infested concubine if I turn out to be totally wrong in the future.

Bull****!
You have no idea what your talking about. Its obvious you have no experience with competitive Melee.

Bad troll is bad.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
Any game that alienates half it's cast with balance breaking techs is badly made in the first place, doesn't matter how successful it is
My sentiments exactly. Sakurai seems to have implemented enough changes to Brawl to put every character on a level playing field, and most competitive smashers hate it.

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
I spent sometime reading this thread, viewing peoples responses to this chaps first impressions and maybe jumped the gun on reacting a bit to harshly. I have not yet experienced Brawl(as I'm sure alot of you have not either), but I hold a firm belief that this game will be good, but I will reserve judgement till it arrives here in North America.

But I would like to say a few things, Smash Brothers Brawl and all it's past incarnations, have had success and alot of it. It's rare for a game like this to survive, but it does. I think people are holding two schools of thought, and it seems to be harshly debated amoust these forums, and that simply put is "casual" and "professional" play.

I liked Smash 64, but my gaming history has dealt with a long line fighting games(mainly Capcom) but strictly had complex and advanced game engines. Melee had alot of those advanced techniques that made the Smash Brothers Franchise to be taken alot more seriously in the Competitive fighters realm. We all play Smash for fun, but some have fun with mega items & others play more professionally, with level restrictions and item restrictions.

Too be honest I read this thread and I'm not suprised at the animosity between casuals and professionals. But I must say the lack of advanced techniques and the item driven gameplay is a bit of a downer for me. Although I'm sure new techniques will eventually submerge, we are looking at a very barebones game engine right now, and only time will tell, this game will no doubt take melee's place no matter what, but it will also let gamers wonder what kinda game Brawl could have or soon will become.

And that alone is enough to keep me interested.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
See, there's that illogical thinking rearing it's ugly head again.

How the heck did the existence of things such as wavedashing and L-canceling alianate anyone from Melee?
I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say. He meant that the advanced techniques in Melee made certain characters completely unfeasible for competitive play.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Yuna, I've explained the bias of a lot tech in other threads, I'm not going to do it every time someone dis-agrees with me and assumes I'm a casual player because of my stance. It's not illogical, I've explained it really well several times why I believe that, and it's gotten steamrolled and ignored every time.

By the way, I said it alienates characters, not players, you spent most of your post talking about techs alienating players. You pretty much ignored the rest of what I said, does that mean you agree with it or didn't think it mattered? Also, the gay marriage comparison is a really weak correlation, I don't really follow how the logic is the same.

I understand your opinion, you make it a point for your stance to be really obvious in a lot of your posts. I just don't agree with it, I could point you to one of my explanations why, but you're opposed to my idea in the first place so I doubt it would sway you.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say. He meant that the advanced techniques in Melee made certain characters completely unfeasible for competitive play.
No, badly made characters make them unfeasible for competitive play. Can you honestly say with a straight face that Bowser could stand a chance against Sheik without wavedashing or l cancelling (or any ATs). =\

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
No, badly made characters make them unfeasible for competitive play. Can you honestly say with a straight face that Bowser could stand a chance against Sheik without wavedashing or l cancelling (or any ATs). =\
I honestly don't have the experience to say who would win. The most I could do is have two lv.9 CPUs duke it out, but since I have little trouble defeating them in Melee and Brawl, I doubt either character would be used to its full potential, making the results inconclusive.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I can say that a Bowser would have a much easier time killing a shiek without at's. You did a good job of picking sheik and bowser for your exaple, as sheik is probably one of the best characters sheerly based on stats, and bowser one of the worst. There would still be a gap between the characters, but it would be a lot less daunting to cross without at's.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, I've explained the bias of a lot tech in other threads, I'm not going to do it every time someone dis-agrees with me and assumes I'm a casual player because of my stance. It's not illogical, I've explained it really well several times why I believe that, and it's gotten steamrolled and ignored every time.

By the way, I said it alienates characters, not players, you spent most of your post talking about techs alienating players. You pretty much ignored the rest of what I said, does that mean you agree with it or didn't think it mattered? Also, the gay marriage comparison is a really weak correlation, I don't really follow how the logic is the same.

I understand your opinion, you make it a point for your stance to be really obvious in a lot of your posts. I just don't agree with it, I could point you to one of my explanations why, but you're opposed to my idea in the first place so I doubt it would sway you.
I misread your post. I apologize. But apparently you also think that the game alianates players (your wording in this post indiciates that).

Anyway, the game alianates half of it cast because of its "game-breaking techs"? Pray tell, which techs and characters are these? There are very few character-specific game-breaking techs and none of them actually alianates anyone IMO.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Here ya go Yuna, my ideas on how some techs are bias. I didn't mean to allude that the at's alienate players, and I don't think this is game breaking, just hindering.

This is a post talking about how techs affected balance in melee, my general thoughts on techs are here:

They don't have the advantage of being faster, speed is an innate character stat that is balanced against all of their other statistics and those of the other characters. It's more complex than this, but this is the general idea: if a character is slow, they are also usually heavy, if they are heavy, than most of their attacks are very powerful, if a character is fast, their usually light, if their light, than most of their attacks are weaker. There are so much more variables that add into it such as range, priority, knockback, lag time, duration, and so on, but character traits are balanced.

L-canceling and wavedashing are *physics characteristics* that affect the entire cast of characters in a set way. L-cancelling was a characteristic that interacted with a characters attack speed and landing lag statistics, wavedashing interaced with a characters jump start up time statistic, air dodge statistic, and friction statistic. Characters with higher statistics in those areas gain a lot more from those physics characteristics than other characters with NO COMPENSATION to the characters that didn't gain as much from them. This would be like giving a slow character nothing but weak attacks, their not getting compensated in any way for being slow.

Specifically, characters like falco could reach zero lag time with l-cancelling paired with some of their faster moves. They have those moves for alot of reasons, their light, they're fast fallers, they don't do alot of damage, etc. Thus, they are ALREADY compensated for being so by having moves that are already so fast. The problem comes up with the zero lag time state of certain moves, this is overcompensation for the fast character, because the slow characters cannot gain any zero lag time moves in order to be on equal footing with the fast characters. The obvious rebuttle to this is that they don't need any zero lag moves because they've been compensated by being very strong, thus, they ARE on equal footing as far as balance goes. However, zero lag moves break this idea, because zero lag moves have special implications such as the potential of semi-infinite combos, and un-punishible attacks. Slow characters have none of those, which is why L-cancelling is unbalanced.

This issue isn't as simple as people make it, and if you're someone who believes that a game must favor speed to be technical, then you don't have balance in mind, and all characters WOULD have to be the same speed in order to be balanced.
Ryuker, thank you, I never thought I'd see a heckler in a forum... you've proven it's possible.

Top Bottom