• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

unreon

Smash Ace
wtf i read it takes two dollars to play
Of course it takes 2 dollars to play. It's a new game.

Wait for the arcade machine to generate some revenue before they cut it down to a dollar.

And I'm going to GW in about two hours to play :D Going to get my *** kicked sooo hard.

SF4 is definitely NOT the Brawl of SF!! >=(

xeno

Smash Ace
It *looks* like the Brawl of Street Fighter, with those weird graphics.
I enjoy my SF for free every day, roughly 30m-1hr a day ^_^

FOR THE LOVE OF FONTI
sho' nuff...........and yes, i do. says:
disregard this is youre not one of the jerks that keep inviting me into mass conversations.

STOP ****ING INVITING ME INTO MASS CONVERSATIONS

xeno

Smash Ace
Revolt? Series of bombs?
Is this the same Australian government who got into a hissy-fit over the word "Idiot"? :p

unreon

Smash Ace
Street Fighter 4 is shaping up really well. But they need to nerf Zangief abit lol. He's a frigging poking, cross-upping, hit-taking, suplex making monster. Sagat is still a beast :D Throws have more range here than in 3s, alot more. The timing to perform cross-ups is weird to me but that's just an inter-game adjustment issue. I still need to learn how to Focus Parry - you have to pull it off way before you get hit by the move (I kept trying to time it like 3s parries). The timing to throw out moves is a bit stiff I think. I kept trying to throw Super Hadoukens and it just won't let me >< There was this other time where the other guy did three Hurricane Kicks in a row and I stupidly got hit by all of them because I couldn't Shoryuken counter out =(

I got absolutely tooled this play session =( People have gotten really good really fast, or they're bringing their ST skills to the fore. I keep trying to parry and overhead and 3s combos and dashing everywhere and link supers and wiff to build meter and it's going to take some getting used to lol ><

The particle effects of this game is absolutely beautiful; especially when you have fireballs and sonic booms break up. I want more backgrounds. Differentiate Ryu and Ken a bit more in this one. Make everyone less buff and and I like the cartoony look - that's Street Fighter's style. But the lighting seems really pale and dim and not crisp and clean. I am ashamed to admit that I would like their lighting to follow a more saturated look like Tekken 6.

Okay, why am I talking about SF4 in a SSB forum.

Sorry guys.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Ooh Street Fighter.

Meh, some other time. I wanna sleep in tomorrow, as I gotta work later. :(

xeno

Smash Ace
it's 1am and i'm going to sleep
ineffable call you tomorrow morning
the rest of you, come to the urban art festival!

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
ok. whichever ****stick keeps inviting me to mass bull**** conversations on msn, stop it. now. if something needs to be discussed, fine. but dont annoy me just because youre bored.

unreon

Smash Ace
Wtf Xeno, you slept early at 1am and woke up at 3pm? Gosh you're such a baby =P

ok. whichever ****stick keeps inviting me to mass bull**** conversations on msn, stop it. now. if something needs to be discussed, fine. but dont annoy me just because youre bored.
I support this notion.

Dedu

Smash Lord
I agree.

Random group invites are a pain in the a$$ especially when some random keeps adding you at times.
hmmm...

Bjay

Smash Lord
I must bring out my oldschool skills in Street Fighter some time soon. Can't wait to play it.

edit -

is Blanka in the game?

Jaz

Smash Ace
as a small gamerling... i always got really proud of myself when i pulled off any specials that ryu could do
which is the hadouken? the uppercut and that kick shiz.
thats the extent of my SF experience...
oh and electrifying cars with Yellow Blanka

Shaya is smash director now!!! congrats buddy :p

Bjay

Smash Lord
Yep, apparently he is one of the top 5 characters. Haven't seen much though.
Great news to hear. The fact that Blanka is in the game that is. Hmm...top 5 eh? I guess that's a bonus.

I'll use him regardless. Blanka is awesome.

unreon

Smash Ace
Hey guys, Shaya has given me the go-ahead to promote World Sight Day at the upcoming tournament. This means some proceeds will go to funding this charity drive. Hopefully you all don’t hate me for pimping this ._. To begin with, some information I’ve written in about 45 minutes:

World Sight Day is held on the 9th October 2008 by Vision2020 aiming to “raise public awareness of blindness and low vision impairment as major international health issues”. The majority of the population understand the importance of supporting the research to combat breast cancer and genetic diseases, but take for granted the effects that blindness and visual impairment can have on those unfortunate to suffer from it.

But blindness is incurable.

In the past, the definition of ‘blindness’ followed this generalisation – the idea of ‘blindness’ is encapsulated in a person fully reliant on guide dogs. The World Health Organisation has recently expanded their definition of blindness to those heavily affected by refractive errors* and diseases such as cataracts, trachoma, glaucoma, and many others. ‘Visual impairment’ is a category of visual acuity which precedes blindness.

* ‘Refractive errors’ are the general description given to myopia (short-sightedness), hyperopia (long-sightedness), and astigmatism (distorted vision at all distances).

How many people are affected by ‘blindness’ and visual impairment?

The World Health Organisation has estimated that 2.3 billion people are affected by ametropia in one way or another – this accounts to almost a third of the global population. Of these, 153 million people suffer visual impairment from uncorrected refractive error, contributing to the blindness of 8 million people. Over 90% of the world’s visually impaired people live in low- and middle-income countries.

Without effective, major intervention, the number of blind people worldwide is projected to increase to 76 million by 2020.

How can I help?

Without treatment, the blind and vision impaired suffer from severe socioeconomic consequences. If developed during younger years, the child is unable to participate in his or her education system. Lost educational and employment opportunities coincide, and eventually they rely on their family for economic support. With age the blind and vision impaired continue to be sustained by their children, whose education also falters. Hence the cycle of deepening poverty repeats.

The good thing about visual impairment and blindness is that 75% can be easily corrected with very affordable treatment. For refractive errors, simply placing a pair of spectacles can mean all the difference. Cataract surgery is merely a quick 15-minute procedure.

You can help by just providing a simple donation. Vision2020 and WHO aim to eliminate the main causes of avoidable blindness by the year 2020 by providing effective treatment and imparting skills to train optometrists and ophthalmologists in developing countries to provide a self-sustaining economic model in combating blindness.

For more information, links are here:
http://www.givingsight.org/
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/pr79/en/
http://www.v2020.org/page.asp?section=000100010007

Noa

Smash Rookie
That was some fun brawl, too much lag on my side though :(

Just picked up a lan adapter, hopefully that'll make things better.

CRUMBS

Smash Cadet
@ unreon

i think its a great idea. i have a soft spot for charities

last charity i donated to was the fred hollows foundation for cataract blindness so this is kinda staying on track

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Charities ftw. On the topic of "charities I have donated to," right now I am donating to Save the Children, which, well... does what it sounds like. :x

BOOST2 + Charity = YAY

On another topic, any chance of a meet happening between now and the 21st, or is there too much school/otherstuff going on?

xeno

Smash Ace
i guess people are nicer in Australia. i don't think i have heard anyone talk about them donating to some charity except for my church.
They *are* nicer! (I'm from Texas)
I might even donate, even if I don't go!

unreon

Smash Ace
Thank you everyone for the support and helping out :)

Jaz I'll put in $5 on your behalf from the money I owed you for shaving your head. That way it all evens out lol :)

Berimbau

Smash Journeyman
hey unreon, can i help u collect donations? talk to me about it, i need to get involved in some kind of charity for a social psychology experiment :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Mark the 6th and 7th of December in your calendar guys.

I will be hosting 2 days worth of Smash tournaments for OHN7, 1 day for Melee, 1 day for Brawl.

More info on this later, I will try and get as much OOS support as possible

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Mark the 6th and 7th of December in your calendar guys.

I will be hosting 2 days worth of Smash tournaments for OHN7, 1 day for Melee, 1 day for Brawl.

More info on this later, I will try and get as much OOS support as possible
Holy shiz, definately coming to this.

Top Bottom