• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like the Melee meet was awesome, stupid work... What was the deal with this melee tourney? Not the Dont come one? Cause I is interested
Hopefully there'll be more information soon, we're just sorting out the details so far. There's definately been plenty of interest and everyone at the meet was more than keen to attend. plus mostly everyone else seems interested.

And we're looking to get a date for it soon so all the really pro people that are never at the same place at once can hopefully reserve the day for a Melee tourney.

Oh yeah and good work Kulla doing so well at QBB.

The 2t

Smash Apprentice
You missed Kulla
Oops sorry Kulla I totally had a memory lapse

JAZPATUNREONSDTURTLE2TSSBENIGIFKULLACAOBJAYXENOSTU

Would anyone else like a spot in the single word of Sydney Melee awesomeness?

Also LOL @ IGIF

Dedu

Smash Lord
Melee Meet was great! A stoned Xeno is something to fear...
Xeno... smoke moar pot at tournies!

Yakiniku was awesome - there were lots of lols towards IGIF and his friend PEIN binging on the food.
He really liked the Miso soup and 'Kali' rice.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Sounds like it was a lot of fun guys! Hopefully I can make it to the next meet.

Bjay

Smash Lord
@jason

It seems Melee crews for OHN7 is on a Sunday, so I'll be able to be in the Sydney Melee Crew after all! ^_^

xeno

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tip Stu, I didn't even know I used f-smashes that much :p
I want more IC's experience before I start trying to pick up advanced nana-paulting and stuff.

xeno

Smash Ace
Stu I've tried calling you a few times today :X
When did you want to return that TV? it can wait till tomorrow or later, I'm in no rush.
Maybe host another meet XD

Dedu

Smash Lord
Ah I see it was you who called me thru the day.
I'll send it off to your house tomorrow yeah?

IGIF - you left your tuna salad box here. Shall I throw it in the bin or give it back to you next time I see you?

xeno

Smash Ace
IGIF - you left your tuna salad box here. Shall I throw it in the bin or give it back to you next time I see you?

I suggest NOT throwing it away or IGIF will have to force feed you Tuna Salad until you croak, and then he'll four-stock you in Melee while chucking pipebombs at Brawl discs. I wouldn't have even said you have the container, he might show up anytime to reclaim it.. you saw how important that container was to him..

IGIF.PAIN

Smash Apprentice
CAO, when are you moving into my bedroom to play some Smash 64? Srsly when was the last time there was a smash 64 meet guys... srsly.

Also, **** Marth, I'm a Sonic main NOW!

REPRESENTING SONIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
wow even after all the brawl your still manly enough to give a roar that i would be to internet handicaped to give, and for that, kudos, but xeno about your other both thankyou stu for the tip, i could of sworn i suggested shinespike, or bears instead of forward smashes
:bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dedu

Smash Lord
IGIF

I'm tempted to throw away that lunchbox today unless...
I get a reply from you saying 'oh ****. THAT lunchbox'.​

IGIF.PAIN

Smash Apprentice
yo, stu, dun worry bout the lunch dvice the be in your posetion for i have many a kind, so depose with as thou will but i highly recommend not as within the box lies a very good quality tuna can, adn in that can lies the most refreshingly juicy tuna ever.:p

:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

how do yuo get good at brwl ben is here amd we are wondering how to get good at it like shufling and stuff

Dedu

Smash Lord
lol thou with thee shakespearean graces and skills in thee language of mighty tongue and mind!

The most fine, the most delectable tuna can be possessed by my cupboards, which hoard many and many food tin cans!
Thou are most generous. Thou will be thy graces upon thee forevermore!
Depart thee until thou shall meet again...

But under most highly resistant and perilous atmosphere!
Onwards! Until we meet again - depart, my tuna-ly generous comrade of the night!

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
YAY NATHAN WENT HOME AND I CAN USE MY LAPTOP AGAIN.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper duper late but whatever. Great meet, thanks for hosting, Stu. My second meet that week too, what an awesome week. :D

IGIF is hilarious and seeing him post LIVE was like watching a master at work. O: However I suspect he had fewer spelling errors in those posts than normal on account of the spectators calling him out on them (although there were definitely some "keep it wrong, it'll be better that way"s in there).

Ben, thanks for the props. YES SD IT WAS ALL MY FAULT THAT S3 MAINS ICIES NOW.

2t... *wavedash dsmash spams* LOL HAHAHAAH GOT YA. I should have wobbled more though... but I kept screwing it up, it was more of a "bahaha look what I can do LOL" thing.

XENO, thanks for the tips. I shall definitely work on it. :3

Nathan - You'll never read this BECAUSE YOU HATE SMASHBOARDS SINCE SUGARPOULTRY IS HERE, but I hope you had a good time since I did kinda drag you there. :3

And Stu... Marth's too good. But I suck at spacing (in Melee). ;_;

Best part of the meet... I really really did get a nice feel for Falco. I suck *** with him, but I think I really want to work on him and make him better, so YAY EA DOESN'T ONLY PLAY ICIES IN MELEE ANY MORE. I'll probably want to develop my Marth as a distant third, but my Marth MAJORLY sucks compared to my Icies and Falco. ;_;

Cao, I think I'm gonna challenge you and use Ice Climbers just because you said not to.

And now... QUESTION ABOUT FREELOADING BRAWL.

Has anyone had trouble with this?

Actually, Brawl hasn't loaded since the Hunter meet (though the first time I tried to since then was Stu's). I have no idea what's causing it, but I don't think it's the Wii or the Freeloader, since Melee freeloaded perfectly fine. I did recently turn on WiiConnect24 so that I could share replays and such, but as far as I know it hasn't updated (and plus, the freeloader does work).

This is really troubling me...

xeno

Smash Ace
Hey thought I would write some more tips for e_alert and others newer to the scene.. i'm not a pro but i think this can help.
Hitconfirming / Combo-confirming
So basically.. whenever you do a move, if you're not sure that it's going to hit you *wait and watch* to see if it does. The instant you see it hit / miss / block you *think ahead* what to do.. remember that there is some serious lag between what happens in Melee and what you see and also lag between you deciding to do a move and the input reaching Melee (as it travels through your body, then through the controller = several frames).
So really you can't play purely reactionary, seeing what's "going on" because you're really just seeing "what happened"..
Ok, difference.
Non-hitconfirm, Fox, Final Destination:
Fox dashes, dash attacks.
You wait until the dash attack animation is over to decide your next move. The opponent has already teched away.
Hitconfirming, Fox, Final Destination:
Fox dashes, dash attacks.
As soon as you hit "A" your eyes are on the opponent, waiting to see if they are hit.
You observe the opponent getting hit.
You prepare your mind & muscles for an up-tilt to begin the instant dash-attack ends.
Being an experienced Fox player you know exactly or close to exactly how long this is.
You wait X frames until Fox is *almost* done with the recovery, then tap up-tilt.
You've comboed.

Combo-confirming is the same thing except you're getting hit.
With each hit you see what the hit was and prepare a reaction *before hitstun ends* (and you DI here too )
You then anticipate the opponent's next move by their spacing, animation, your hitstun, relative position, your ability to tech, their playstyle.
And you prepare to either jump, tech, flop, attack or Smash DI (if you can predict accurately.. I find this harder then SFIII parrying !)
You get hit MORE when you don't notice you're in a combo-able position and attempt to mash and use f-air without DIing away or such.

What hitconfirming boils down to is waiting for the hit then "confirming" the results and preparing your next action -- anticipating the animation times.

Really basic/noob/we've all done it example:
You think "**** if I could just down-air them I could do a shine to up-smash and win"
You attempt down-airing.
Marth dashdance grabs you. (train your awareness to know a grab happened before you see the throw)
Noob: Mash down-air
Smart: Begin DIing / time SmashDI

k so, if the Marth was noob he would up-throw you then wait until the throw before deciding to hit you.. but against a good player he'll up-tilt/f-smash/f-air/chaingrab the crap out of you. if he's smart though, he's hitconfirmed his throw and knows he can safely hit you with up-tilt -- meaning you need to NOT try to down-air him but get the hell out of there.

There's also the business of hitconfirming, seeing them shield and delaying your lag-cancel.. I'm out of touch with that, but it's how you avoid missing l-cancels even when you're *not sure* if the opponent shields or not -- you wait, see, prepare (l-cancel).

Hope this helps.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Xeno: The hardest part about these so called combo (or somewhat pre-set) moves is that you have to have the experience and knowledge about every character you verse against relative to yours and know the right times and percentages to hurt them effectively.
Which is why doing Marth fair to dair finisher is wayy harder to execute than you think. Ken just makes marth look too easy to utilise because Ken is... just that good.
Ken Combo for Marth listings -
Fox/Falco/Falcon works best at 80% off the edge.
Peach works best at 25%
Marth is about 40 to 50%
Sheik is about 50 - 55%

This highlights a very small window frame to effectively fair to dair as Marth. Not only that but also you have to set them up as well...

Hell doing executes as fox is easier because he's just faster overall but needs technical experience to use him 'right'.
hmmm...

SS Ben

Smash Apprentice
Good to see you enjoyed the meet EA, always good to see people learning new stuff about Melee (and picking up ICs olol). Next time we meet I'll have to give you a couple of tips to playing Falco, because whilst I'm not amazing I've been playing Falco for awhile now.

As long as unreon teaches ME some Falco stuff next time we meet :laugh:

S.D

Smash Master
Sometimes when you Ken combo you need to fastfall after fair to catch up, you can pull it off a lot more of the time this way. But in PAL you'll just get meteor cancelled anyways lol.

Ah Icies, I can't blame people for loving them - EA I can give you some tips next time we meet if you like to fix your wobbling (god forbid) and other bits and pieces (combos etc).

xeno

Smash Ace
Xeno: The hardest part about these so called combo (or somewhat pre-set) moves is that you have to have the experience and knowledge about every character you verse against relative to yours and know the right times and percentages to hurt them effectively.

Hell doing executes as fox is easier because he's just faster overall but needs technical experience to use him 'right'.
hmmm...
I hardly think/glance about %s as Fox, consciously at least.
If it's really low I'll be more cautious about back-airs, that's about it. I usually just read their tumble to know how hard they were hit.
Learning is key..

Dedu

Smash Lord
Should have thrown in some *charizard* spam to catch you're attention
Lol yeah Xeno - 'Charizard! Charizard! Charizard!' was one of Bjay's Brawl taunts.

Oh btw, you're and your are different altogether. *English lesson - drumroll*
1. You're going home aren't you?
2. Its your house isn't it?
1. I wonder what you're doing today...
2. What is your dog doing on the road?!?

1. you're - is the 'you' subject/object with the particle attached to it. ('am/is/are') Short version of saying 'you are'
2. your - is the 'you' variation with a possessive article in it. The second person variation of my/mine.

Same as they're, their and there.
Not only that but also should have, could have and would have which most ppl horribly abuse as
should of, could of and would of. Those people are in urgent need of spelling bees... Or otherwise shot in the head for screwing around with the English Language.

hmmm...

Bjay

Smash Lord
next tourney discuss gogo

You mean the page of tactics discussion and advice? Should have thrown in some *charizard* spam to catch you're attention ;)
I see what you did there. It was Charmander spam btw. :p

Stu, not quite, but I'm not gonna say the taunt I once had :p Just think Brawl Taunts!

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
oi guys i wanna come to a melee meet sometime soon, bearing in mind i have to go back down the coast this weekend again :(

xeno

Smash Ace
my company may be shutting down from lack of funding and then I would go to America..
hope to play Melee soon

Top Bottom