• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I honestly don't think Mario is as good as some people say he is. I personally think :4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4diddy::4sonic::4metaknight::4ryu::4fox::4pikachu: and maybe :4villager: are all better characters. Mario might not even be top 10 but is still viable though.
Mario is still more viable than his Brawl counterpart though. That increased air mobility really helps.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I honestly don't think Mario is as good as some people say he is. I personally think :4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4diddy::4sonic::4metaknight::4ryu::4fox::4pikachu: and maybe :4villager: are all better characters. Mario might not even be top 10 but is still viable though.
WHY do people keep saying this? It's like its a new trend or something. It just popped up in the last month and it's really annoying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think we'd just include Cloud in the voting after Bayo and Corrin are released next month, then have a waiting period until they're included on the list too. I don't remember how voting went for Roy, Lucas or Ryu when they came out last June though.

Mario is still more viable than his Brawl counterpart though. That increased air mobility really helps.
That and generally having faster moves. Mario was one of the worst characters in Brawl, so yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Of course he is. He is miles better than his Brawl counterpart but I personally think people overrate him sometimes. Well, not anymore though, I've seen people place Mario much lower now so I guess people are catching on. Ally and Mew2King were saying how even Villager is better which I don't really disagree with really.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course he is. He is miles better than his Brawl counterpart but I personally think people overrate him sometimes. Well, not anymore though, I've seen people place Mario much lower now so I guess people are catching on.
Mario is still top 15 at worst. He'll fall, but not as hard in Melee where he went from top tier to low-mid. He practically has the tools to take on every character in the game, even if his top tier MUs are more iffy.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Mario is still top 15 at worst. He'll fall, but not as hard in Melee where he went from top tier to low-mid. He practically has the tools to take on every character in the game, even if his top tier MUs are more iffy.
Yeah I agree, he is Top 15. Still has the power to take on most of the top tiers but can still easily lose to them.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I think Mario's lack of specialty really hurts him, sometimes.
He's not good against :4sheik:, he's okay.
He's not good against :4zss:, he's okay.
He's not good against :rosalina:, he's okay.
IMO he isn't even that good against :4zelda:, arguably, he's just OK.

Mario is that, okay against everything but not exactly good against anyone. Funny how he has no good matchups, but arguably a few bad ones. Even after the ridiculous undeserved nerfs, :4marth:is still an iffy matchup. :4cloud:is another iffy one and one you'll run into far more often: Mario can neutralize Cloud's :GCB: very easily with Cape, Limit version or not, and he can combo Cloud very easily, as Down Throw>Up Tilt is an option that works from the get go and he can get 2-4 Up tilts very easily, and then you have all of the usual followups after the Up Tilts after Down Throw. But then, there's the fact that Cloud outranges Mario with absolutely every single move in his arsenal, making approaches difficult, and Cloud can force approaches with Limit. Cloud also has no difficulty killing very early, and Rage Stage 2 Cloud kills Mario easily in 40% at worst with Finishing Touch. He can also do Combos on Mario very easily, and even though everybody gimps Cloud easily, he also gimps everybody pretty easily as well, and Mario suffers a lot from that consdiering his recovery actually doesn't go as far as you convince yourself it does, and since Cape isn't a recovery option anymore and FLUDD is unreliable as a recovery, Mario's SOL to mix up his recovery if he's low.

That's just an opinion of a long-time Mario main, though. This is how I feel but it's not like this is the end all-be all opinion on Mario.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nobody wants Mario in the Top 10 anymore

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Mario doesn't exactly have anything can make him dishonest or cheese his way to victory like many top tiers do which is why I don't think he is Top 10.

My explanations:

:4sheik:: Is an explanation needed?
:4zss:: Up air into boost kick can kill early
:rosalina:: Janky Luma kills which can end your stock early as well as a great neutral game.
:4diddy:: Banana shenanigans will end your stock with 2nd best neutral game if not the best
:4sonic:: Speed can be overwhelming with good neutral
:4ryu:: Can kill you extremely early with true shoryuken kill confirms and trades hits with many moves
:4metaknight:: Up air into shuttle loop can kill early
:4fox:: Has kill confirms and really fast
:4pikachu:: Quick attack is a get out of jail free card to reset to neutral and a great combo starter and really fast with amazing frame data on tilts and smashes.
:4villager:: Can edgeguard extremely well with his ability to fight offstage with no fear due to his recovery and can kill you really early with Bowling Ball as well as being the best zoner in the game.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
people are jumping away form mario because the best mario player is talking like he will ditch him.
on a side note how is mairo merely decent agianst zelda?

D

Deleted member

Mario absolutely wrecks Zelda on the account that he can actually approach and has a functioning neutral unlike her. He also juggles her for days and has far superior frame data than her.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I do think he is Top 10. But he's probably 9th or 10th at best. I think people are starting to learn how to play against him more and his bad matchups are starting to stick out a bit more, but yes, I agree
New people are jumping away form mario because the best mario player is talking like he will ditch him.
It's not like it is the end of the world for Mario. I don't know if he's going to completely drop him or try to get a new main entirely and work Mario as a secondary, but that doesn't mean Mario sucks, all of sudden.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
people are jumping away form mario because the best mario player is talking like he will ditch him.
Exactly, I don't remember seeing anybody say Mario wasn't top 10 until the Ally situation(like how noone thought Pit and Villager were A/A+/A-/S Tier until Genesis 3, no longer ignoring Japan)

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I think everyone is jumping to conclusions here. I'll make a list to bring everyone back to Earth:
  • Mario has the best overall frame data in the game
  • He has amazing maneuverability
  • He has some of the best combos in the game
  • He has a small frame as well as good weight and fall speed, meaning he isn't combo food
  • He can easily escape combos with his great frame data too
  • He has an overall quite decent recovery
  • He also has a sprinkling of unique moves such as is cape for reflecting and F.L.U.D.D. for setting up edgeguards
  • He has a good MU spread due to his proficiency in many areas
  • He has a great overall edgeguard game
  • He has multiple throws for mixups, meaning he can easily change up his combos at a moments notice to surprise foes
I could go on. But, c'mon people, you're being way to negative and forgetting Mario's plethora of virtues.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I do acknowledge Mario's power, I do solo main him, after all, and it's very important for us to recognize Mario's flaws, since they do exist and do need to be acknowledged as well, obviously, but guys.
Come on.
Some of you are acting like Mario's gonna drop down to Low Tier.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
It's just silly to think that Mario would be anything other than top 10. You shouldn't let a random comment from Ally drastically change your opinion on an entire character

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's just silly to think that Mario would be anything other than top 10. You shouldn't let a random comment from Ally drastically change your opinion on an entire character
Looking at where Luigi is now, this is more true than for any other Mario character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He's not good against :4sheik:, he's okay.
He's not good against :4zss:, he's okay.
He's not good against :rosalina:, he's okay.
IMO he isn't even that good against :4zelda:, arguably, he's just OK.

Mario is that, okay against everything but not exactly good against anyone. Funny how he has no good matchups, but arguably a few bad ones. Even after the ridiculous undeserved nerfs, :4marth:is still an iffy matchup. :4cloud:is another iffy one and one you'll run into far more often: Mario can neutralize Cloud's :GCB: very easily with Cape, Limit version or not, and he can combo Cloud very easily, as Down Throw>Up Tilt is an option that works from the get go and he can get 2-4 Up tilts very easily, and then you have all of the usual followups after the Up Tilts after Down Throw. But then, there's the fact that Cloud outranges Mario with absolutely every single move in his arsenal, making approaches difficult, and Cloud can force approaches with Limit. Cloud also has no difficulty killing very early, and Rage Stage 2 Cloud kills Mario easily in 40% at worst with Finishing Touch. He can also do Combos on Mario very easily, and even though everybody gimps Cloud easily, he also gimps everybody pretty easily as well, and Mario suffers a lot from that consdiering his recovery actually doesn't go as far as you convince yourself it does, and since Cape isn't a recovery option anymore and FLUDD is unreliable as a recovery, Mario's SOL to mix up his recovery if he's low.

That's just an opinion of a long-time Mario main, though. This is how I feel but it's not like this is the end all-be all opinion on Mario.
You could probably say the same thing with Rosalina as well. Despite of her high tier spot, she doesn't completely dominate against all the lower tier characters, as we have fighters like Link, Shulk, Little Mac, and Zelda, who do give her some trouble. This is especially true against Little Mac, whose ground game can really murder Rosalina if she's not careful.

Similarly, as dominating as Sheik is, she lacks the raw power that someone like Bowser has, so you often have to do a lot of combo attacks and time your KO moves just right to get the KO. While for Bowser, he can make KOs with a lot less effort, but he is flawed in the mobility department though.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Havn't finished my next tier list yet, but I bet these characters are all better than Mario:

:4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4diddy::4sonic::4fox::4metaknight::4ryu::4pikachu::4villager::4ness:

Mario could be better than Ness, but that's about it in the list above. Excluding Ness, that's 10 characters.

Mario goes below top 10 because he is...... average. He has very little advantages, but very little strengths. Kinda like high tier. Basicially high tier is either people with small disadvantages, but the advantages aren't majorly good. Top tiers are high tiers that have majorly good advantages. Mario just barely makes the top tier cut.

The main problem is that his matchup spread doesn't have many bad or good matchups in top to high tier. This makes him at least high tier just like that, and he makes top tier because of going even aganist Sheik, going 60:40 aganist Pikachu, and not doing Neccisairly bad much.

His strengths are that he has great comboing with up tilt and aierals, great KO power in smashes, edgeguarding, and up special kills

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Let's be completely honest, here: Would there be any specific reasons to write him off of Top 10, really?
Before Genesis, I actually saw a decent amount of people placing Mario in TOP 5, to give you an idea. It's not often you see characters dropping from Top 5 to Top 15, especially if no nerfs were involved.

EDIT: To clarify, I was never one of those people. Whenever I made my tier lists, I'd place Mario in 5th at extreme best, but mostly 6th. After what happened, I think he probably must've dropped a little bit, but to 9th or 10th at worst.

Last edited:

Mr.989

Smash Rookie
We aren't voting right now. We are voting in Febuary

The last tier list was the second one.
Oh okay, thanks ....joined just a few days ago and still getting used to posting. Can the pre edited version of my post be deleted? Its happened like twice now when I go edit a post. (I use mobile if that makes a difference)

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I think we'd just include Cloud in the voting after Bayo and Corrin are released next month, then have a waiting period until they're included on the list too. I don't remember how voting went for Roy, Lucas or Ryu when they came out last June though.

That and generally having faster moves. Mario was one of the worst characters in Brawl, so yeah.
We voted for them like asap. It won't matter in the end like if we overrated Bayo at the start, she will drop later on in the voting. Plus, I feel like we have enough cloud stuff at this point for a tier placement.

Also I think Mario is good, but is just worse then the other top tiers like Fox. Personally i see him at number 6, behind sonic, ryu, and pikachu.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh okay, thanks ....joined just a few days ago and still getting used to posting. Can the pre edited version of my post be deleted? Its happened like twice now when I go edit a post. (I use mobile if that makes a difference)
I think a mod can delete it, and welckme

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Even after the ridiculous undeserved nerfs, :4marth:is still an iffy matchup.
Seeing as I main Marth, I thought I would add input. I agree, in fact I would still go as far to say that it is still slightly in Marth's favour (albeit only the slightest). Compared to Brawl where Marth slaughtered him, Mario can handle him on stage a lot better now. Mario has a lot better options on stage, and Marth's great options, such as Forward Air and Forward Throw aren't as abusable anymore (Forward Air still works, but not in every instance like before). Marth actually has a couple of better options than in Brawl. His Up Tilt is a better option than in Brawl thanks to it's reliable upwards launch angle and it increased range, and gives Mario a lot of trouble up close, as Marth can punish and trap landings very well. Speaking of which, Marth's aerials still outrange all of Mario's in the air, so Marth still has better options in air to air combat. And this brings me to the meat and potatoes; Marth still destroys Mario off stage. He still has every option to best Mario off stage. His Forward Air and Back Air are too big for Mario to deal with off stage, Nair is even bigger and has a longer lasting hitbox, and can catch his air dodge when used correctly. If Mario has had to use his jump before recovering, Down Tilt on stage can seal the stock right then if it hits when tippered (on a side note, I pulled this on a Mario the other day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i1bYkiyUwg. A tipper Down Tilt would have also worked fine in that situation, and would have been easier to land, but hey, who goes for the reliable stuff?)

In short, Mario can deal with Marth a lot easier on stage than in Brawl, but everywhere else, Marth still wins, and overall still has trouble with him.

Again, reinstating my view, I don't see where all the Mario hate has come from. So Ally said he is going to be using another character... so what? I never remember hearing he said he'd be dropping Mario completely (from my understanding, I remember it being he's be using Sheik/ZSS for Mario's worst matchups). Even so, why would somebody dropping a character be enough to instantly make them fall in the tier lists? Let's go to Melee for example. Plup, one of the best (if not the best) Samus players dropped Samus for Sheik. Did Samus fall? No (in fact, she ended up rising a spot, but that's beside the point). Mario has tools and options to handle almost any character, even if he doesn't win that many matchups. That alone is a huge positive. Also, frame data, which is fantastic, how can this be ignored?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
(on a side note, I pulled this on a Mario the other day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i1bYkiyUwg. A tipper Down Tilt would have also worked fine in that situation, and would have been easier to land, but hey, who goes for the reliable stuff?)
Actually I end up doing this way too often by accident when I use Lucina, so I guess it's not that bad of an option?
But yes, Mario has trouble with Marcina. It feels like he just gets completely outranged and killed early. Then their floatiness makes them hard to combo, so it doesn't help.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Actually I end up doing this way too often by accident when I use Lucina, so I guess it's not that bad of an option?
But yes, Mario has trouble with Marcina. It feels like he just gets completely outranged and killed early. Then their floatiness makes them hard to combo, so it doesn't help.
Yes, Lucina can do this too, but the fact that she can't tip the Down Tilt makes that option less effective (or that, it will seal the stock later than Marth would), so her Forward Smash works a a great substitute (again, no tipper means no insanely early kill, but it works great nonetheless). The fact that they can hit ledge hanging opponents with Forward Smash is a great positive. If that was removed, that could have been a game changer. I've finished opponents off who are hanging on the ledge waiting for me to stop swinging my sword about, and then tipper Forward Smash'd them while hanging when their invincibility is gone.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I wonder if you people have forgotten that Mario once did this. I don't see comebacks this extreme very often.
Mario's combo potential is no joke.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wonder if you people have forgotten that Mario once did this. I don't see comebacks this extreme very often.
One of the best Mario matches/sets I'm Smash 4 honestly

D

Deleted member

S: :4sheik::4zss::4ryu::rosalina::4sonic:
A: :4pikachu::4mario::4fox::4metaknight::4ness::4villager::4diddy::4cloud::4yoshi:
B: :4wario::4luigi::4myfriends::4falcon::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::4pacman::4rob::4greninja:
C: :4tlink::4megaman::4olimar::4dk::4robinf::4wiifit::4feroy::4lucas::4bowserjr:
D: :4kirby::4mewtwo::4samus::4gaw::4bowser::4falco::4drmario::4shulk:
E: :4littlemac::4link::4marth::4palutena::4charizard::4lucina::4miisword::4dedede:
F: :4miigun::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4zelda::4jigglypuff::4miibrawl:

Since people were posting their tier lists earlier, time to spruce things up. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

David Viran

Smash Lord
Zero might have been able to survive that if he didn't DI into the top platform. Just saying.

Top Bottom