• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually after seeing GX's discussion and the criteria they have, I think I can make a GOTY list out of what I have played.

3) Xenoblade Chronicles - some may say I am cheating, but since GX listed Freedom Planet in theirs I am putting this here, since I got it as part of the Wii U eShop release, which does actually count as a 2015 release, not to mention I actually get to play with the GamePad as a controller and take advantage of Off-TV Play, which means the game is slightly better than it's original incarnation. Plus it had the New 3DS remake this year too. But yeah, this game is absolutely fantastic and was absolutely what I needed to revitalise my JRPG tastes. There are very few games where I can say I like and care about pretty much all of the characters and this is one of them, especially in regards to the main party. I love them all and they really help drive the game for me. I like how realistically they are portrayed for the most part, and the British accents are really fresh for me since you never really see that in these Japanese made games, and I think the voice acting is really on-point, coming from someone who has lived with British people for a while. The lore of the game is quite interesting too, and I like seeing the differences in the different factions of society in the game and the history behind them. While the gameplay is not quite perfect and is rough around the edges at points (I have run into a few bugs in both battle and exploration and of course the level spikes that have happened at my current point in the game have put a halt to my progression), it's still really fresh and addictive and there are some seriously satisfying stuff you can do in battles. The music is absolutely fantastic and I've been listening to it a ton since starting the game, and while the technical quality of the models and textures are dated even for Wii, the art direction is phenomenal, seriously some of the best in any video game I've played. The world also feels really detailed and alive (no pun intended) so I get really immersed. While I know XCX is a lot bigger, the original is still massive, and my favourite thing is that it rarely feels like areas are just a "mess" of stuff, it always feels like a lot of deliberate thought went into designing each area and making it feel unique and engaging, which makes the scale of the game that much more impressive. I also just ADORE how the game is set on top of two titans, like...that's just such a one of a kind thing, and the level design constantly makes you feel aware of it, which is super impressive to me. They could have just made a world and said "yeah it's ste on two titans", but they went the whole way, and you constantly feel aware of what you are traversing across. While I am very late to this game in general, it doesn't feel like it, since it holds up so well.

2) Freedom Planet - again, a little bit of a cheat since it originally came in 2014 and I mainly play the Steam version still, but it's a game I tend to come back to a fair amount, and I pretty much love everything about it, and am looking forward to trying Torque soon. I think the story and characters have some flaws, but it's not such a big deal since I only go through that once, and I did think it did some impressive stuff and had good ideas. Otherwise the game is super addictive, the soundtrack is amazing, it's getting free DLC support, and GOD THERE IS ALREADY A SEQUEL AND I AM SO HYPED.

1) Rodea: The Sky Soldier (Wii Version) - I mean, it's not often you can say a game came out on old hardware YEARS after that hardware's successor came out, and still find it more innovative than most games that come out on the next generation, both Wii U and it's competitors. And that's what Rodea did for me. It gave me that same feeling Wii Sports, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, and Super Mario Galaxy gave me, in that it really made me see the potential this Wii Remote had to make really cool games. It just felt so unique and surreal and wouldn't have worked in any other way (as evidenced by the much less appealing Wii U and 3DS versions), and even without that, the core gameplay concept for Rodea feels so unique and one of a kind, despite drawing slightly from Yuji Naka's other works, that I have to call this my favourite game in 2015. The speedrunning potential this game has is MASSIVE too if you are into that, like you could play this game for a lifetime and still find ways to improve your times, the game really is just THAT open ended in how it plays while still being impeccably simple to control. But that's not all, the game also has a great sense of exploration with hidden collectibles, bonus rooms, fun power-ups, and everything. The graphics are obviously dated since it's a Wii game but it has superb art direction and a great sense of atmosphere. The soundtrack really helps this too, it's amazing and really gives you the sense of you are flying through the air, free as a bird. Like Freedom Planet, I think it has story flaws but I still like that it's a platformer that tried to provide a decent story with characters with some depth, and I can appreciate it, and I really like the character designs too, they are really memorable to me.

Honourable Mentions: Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix, Super Mario Maker, Sonic Runners (I really enjoyed the game in it's soft launch phase which started in February)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just replayed Melee. Gosh this game feels so weird after having played Brawl and Smash 4 for so long. I can barely even use Ness now.... :T

D

Deleted member

I've never watched Star Wars so I actually thought Boba Fett was a major character all along lol
Nothing you say? I'm sorry but that guy is the Loyal Stormtrooper of Sick Spins-Core
Relevant
FB_IMG_14510515670172638.jpg

Boba Fett is the literal embodiment of a Ensemble Darkhorse though

D

Deleted member

Since I haven't played to so many games released this year, here's instead my Top 3 of games I have played for the first time this year :

#3 - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

#2 - Metroid: Zero Mission

#1 - Xenoblade Chronicles X (which I'm about to complete)

Horables mentions to :
- Bayonetta 1 and 2
- Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze
- Kirby's Return to Dreamland
- Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
- Splatoon

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Do you know Sheek's name in Japanese? It could be a reference that was was created during localization.

Tink it probably a reference to Tinkle. Like Tinkle Tinkle Little Star.

As for the religion, I doubt that that too. It doesnt seem like a reference Nintendo would do.

Yoshi Story is debatable. If they had a quote I'd be more incline to believe it.
You don;t need his jp name, the tattle makes it a bit solid, but I actually don;t know and mariowiki doesn;t help here.

idk what you mean by tinkle.

Religion, look, the sheik one seems a lot more probably and if it;s true, it woudl invalidate it, talk about contradiction man!

No, there is no quote specifically saying that yoshi story would be why it was named mario story.

Like I said, I am a bit disappointed.......there is facts you coudl present that are really interesting and can be proved easilly by just checking tcrf.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Tone down on the large images, s'il vous plait.
Put 'em in spoiler tags if need be.
They don't seem that big.

-----------------------------------

About Rhythm Heaven, my favourites are the Karate man and the Wrestler-Reporter duo. (Shout-out to Golden/Robotnik Claus for selling me on the the Wrestler.)

Also this. :p

:231:

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My Games of the Year:
3) Splatoon - Fun game, just wish I played more of it
2) Undertale - Amazing story, good gameplay, stellar music, 11/10
SUPAH MARIO BRUDDAHS TWO BAYBEE!!!! STILL DA BEST!!!

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You don;t need his jp name, the tattle makes it a bit solid, but I actually don;t know and mariowiki doesn;t help here.

idk what you mean by tinkle.

Religion, look, the sheik one seems a lot more probably and if it;s true, it woudl invalidate it, talk about contradiction man!

No, there is no quote specifically saying that yoshi story would be why it was named mario story.

Like I said, I am a bit disappointed.......there is facts you coudl present that are really interesting and can be proved easilly by just checking tcrf.
I made a comment on the video. Basically, I found out DYKG got all of their information from Wikipedia and the Super Mario Wiki.

They didn't bother checking the facts which is why they got some things wrong like Dry Dry Desert being a reference to Arabic culture and not Indian and the genre Hemingway wrote.

Of course I told them that they should be posting their sources too :p.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I made a comment on the video. Basically, I found out DYKG got all of their information from Wikipedia and the Super Mario Wiki.

They didn't bother checking the facts which is why they got some things wrong like Dry Dry Desert being a reference to Arabic culture and not Indian and the genre Hemingway wrote.

Of course I told them that they should be posting their sources too :p.
Did you know?

Well, you would have if you read wikipedia.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dry Dry Desert and Dry Dry Outpost have a very vaguely Islamic look that seems more inspired by Aladdin than intentionally being a reference, really.

:231:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Forgot another Honorable Mention:
Rayman Adventures.
Despite having one of the biggest sins of mobile gaming (WAITING), the game is a blast. The touchscreen controls work surprisingly well.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.

Subject.

Assist Trophy you'd add for your Bias 3rd Party?

With the fact that my bias choice would probably be Laharl for Disgaea, because I still want an Armsmaster kind of moveset and I just really like the series.

The Assist Trophy?

Prinny!

Prinnies are.... kinda the Goomba or Toad for the series. A mascot for it, but the lowest of low for classes and butt of many a joke. With... one unique bit for slapstick. They're the only unit that, when thrown... Explodes.

If we got Bonsly in Brawl that was an utterly deadly weapon when thrown, why not bring that kind of edge back!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So.

Subject.

With the fact that my bias choice would probably be Laharl for Disgaea, because I still want an Armsmaster kind of moveset and I just really like the series.

The Assist Trophy?

Prinny!

Prinnies are.... kinda the Goomba or Toad for the series. A mascot for it, but the lowest of low for classes and butt of many a joke. With... one unique bit for slapstick. They're the only unit that, when thrown... Explodes.

If we got Bonsly in Brawl that was an utterly deadly weapon when thrown, why not bring that kind of edge back!
My bias choice would be Rayman.

For his Assist Trophy, I choose Murfy.

Murfy.jpg

Murfy would fly across the stage, smacking opponents and even picking them up, leaving them open for other fighters to attack.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
You guys can't guess my GOTY.

It's Animal Crossing: Amiibo festival.

D

Deleted member

So.

Subject.

The Assist Trophy?

Prinny!

Bias Third Party: Simon Belmont (Castlevania)

Assist Trophy: Flying, zigzagging Medusa Heads that, when summoned, suddenly appear all over the screen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really wish Tumblr's social justice warriors would shut up about Daisy being whitewashed by Nintendo.

Like? Make sense please. She was white in her first appearance. And TAN in one whole game. One whole game.

That's not whitewashing, home skillets. Get a brain.
Reminds me of when people accused Chris Pratt of donning black face in Jurassic World due to his skin being darker than another role. They forgot that tans exist.

Chrono.

So.

Subject.

The Assist Trophy?

Prinny!

Bias 3rd Party is Tails so uh his series is kinda covered...

At a very distance 2nd place for bias 3rd party is Yu Narukami from P4. So my AT pick from there would be Jack Frost.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Meanwhile on Pi'illo Island...
I just drank some fountain water on Mount Pajamaja, got a STAR WARS-type dialog about Mario & Luigi growing as big as the Island and then got a Fake Out GAME OVER before Dreambert woke me up.
UH?

That was strange...
Real strange...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A Charizard amiibo came in.

It's a normal one. :4charizard:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So.

Subject.

The Assist Trophy?

Prinny!

Really, i would really like to see Laharl in a Smash game. I think he can have some thing that we haven't see before and he is just a really fun character! So yeah, maybe in Smash NX.:dazwa: (Also you're idea of the Prinny seem pretty good! I like it.)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So if you want to play Pokkén Tournament multiplayer locally, one player has to have the GamePad and the other uses a controller as each player has different perspectives.

I severely doubt I'll personally encounter locally multiplayer but that sounds a bit too much.

D

Deleted member

So if you want to play Pokkén Tournament multiplayer locally, one player has to have the GamePad and the other uses a controller as each player has different perspectives.

I severely doubt I'll personally encounter locally multiplayer but that sounds a bit too much.
And all my hype for the game has suddenly disappeared as I remember Hyrule Warriors

Chrono.

Welp

Pokken eSports is already dead.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Forgot another Honorable Mention:
Rayman Adventures.
Despite having one of the biggest sins of mobile gaming (WAITING), the game is a blast. The touchscreen controls work surprisingly well.
Is this game out on Android yet, even in soft launch? Wanted to play it but it's initial release was iOS only.

EDIT: Never mind, it's on Android. I downloaded it and will play it soon.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I played some Disney Trivial Pursuit today and won. B)

I also did some charades. Even did a video game themed one.

How does one do charades for Civilization though?

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... in about a week or so, 2016 will be upon us. Yeah, I know. This year feels like it's gone super fast. Although, it's time for us to look into the future, to see what it brings and what Nintendo will manage to pull off.

This now begs a question Nintendo's been building up since early 2015, what is the Nintendo NX? We'll finally have that revealed to our very own eyes next year, most likely at E3 2016.

My big question for all of you is, what do you want to see out of the Nintendo NX? It's basically your wishlist for what you want in the console. I'm very interested in hearing all your ideas and opinions on the matter.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I've put off buying Codename S.T.E.A.M so long i've started reading the book.

Stil wont take as long as one enemy turn pre-patch
Man.
I know the game gets beaten like a dead horse.
But any time I hear anyone saying bits about the game and its experience, it's been like 70% negative.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm still excited that we got new screenshots of Shantae in Super Smash Bros. Crusade a couple days ago.

I'm assuming APEX 2016 will be the earliest for the next big Crusade news (and SSF2). Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom