• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of Zoroark, I never understood why he was passed over for a mega-evolution.

:231:
My personal guess is his Illusion ability potentially screwing things up
Copy paste from my youtube comment post:

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand why people are complaining about censorship in this game specifically.

All they got rid of was what, a swimsuit for a 13 year old female character and an option to change a female character's bust size?

Yes, yes I get the whole thing about freedom of expression and what not, but why complain about two things that are so minor and trivial in comparison to the rest of the entire game?

Also, I personally am neutral about the whole Xenoblade Chronicles X censorship thing.
The removal of the bust slider is a genuine complaint tbh as not every woman has an average bust size, though this isn't complaining. It's WEHWEH I DON'T SEE ANIMOO **** which is whining

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The bust size for female avatars in international XCX is actually above or below average in a lot of different countries, so as a localisation decision, it is culturally insensitive before even getting into personal feelings of anybody who might pick up the game. It's genuinely something that should not have been changed and the controversy surrounding it is justified. It's a localisation decision that actually goes against what localisation is supposed to be about (i.e. adapting the product to be more culturally appropriate to as many places as possible).

Censoring Lyn was a wise decision, though I personally would not have cared either way. I wouldn't be putting her in swimsuits myself unless that was genuinely the best armour I had for her at any given time.

...And if XCX is anything like the first Xenoblade, that's entirely possible. Often times, the best armour I have at any given time is skimpy. Currently, my Reyn and Dunban are shirtless, my Melia is wearing something kinda skimpy, and Sharla flat out looks like some sex empress.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I really don't mind the removal of Lin's bathing suit. I think it's better to look at Lin for who she is rather than what she wears.

The bust size for the female avatar is a whole different story though, I felt the removal was unneeded

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The bust size for female avatars in international XCX is actually above or below average in a lot of different countries, so as a localisation decision, it is culturally insensitive before even getting into personal feelings of anybody who might pick up the game. It's genuinely something that should not have been changed and the controversy surrounding it is justified. It's a localisation decision that actually goes against what localisation is supposed to be about (i.e. adapting the product to be more culturally appropriate to as many places as possible).

Censoring Lyn was a wise decision, though I personally would not have cared either way. I wouldn't be putting her in swimsuits myself unless that was genuinely the best armour I had for her at any given time.

...And if XCX is anything like the first Xenoblade, that's entirely possible. Often times, the best armour I have at any given time is skimpy. Currently, my Reyn and Dunban are shirtless, my Melia is wearing something kinda skimpy, and Sharla flat out looks like some sex empress.
Sharla sounds like this then
Part of me thinks it might not be SFW, but considering the age rating, it should be allowed, but spoiler tags regardless just in case

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Speaking of Zoroark, I never understood why he was passed over for a mega-evolution.

Like I said he is not that popular to begin with & in XY Gen 5 pokemon where to recent for getting a Mega. Still funny how Zoroark got shafted by Audino in ORAS, for the first Gen 5 Mega.

If Gamefreak didn't make Zoroark & Zorua event pokemon in the first BW games, he would have been better received.

Although I'm very confident that he will eventually get a Mega down the road, but perhaps not in Z/XY2

A Mega I am willing to bet on has to be Mega Butterfree in Z/XY2 though :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The best way to describe my Sharla's current get up is that she is wearing elaborate, heavy looking armour that is practical, except it specifically doesn't cover up areas you might want to see skin of if you are into her in that kind of way.

She looks like she is ready to wage war, and capture enemies and make them sex slaves. With Shantae looking like a potential slave in that outfit.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I really don't mind the removal of Lin's bathing suit. I think it's better to look at Lin for who she is rather than what she wears.

The bust size for the female avatar is a whole different story though, I felt the removal was unneeded
I feel the same. There's a difference between accounting for cultural differences (i.e. what age that stuff is ok for in Japan) and just pruding it up because someone might put larger than average chest items on an adult female. (the horror)

Incidentally, what is the set size for the western version compared to the Japanese one?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel the same. There's a difference between accounting for cultural differences (i.e. what age that stuff is ok for in Japan) and just pruding it up because someone might put larger than average chest items on an adult female. (the horror)

Incidentally, what is the set size for the western version compared to the Japanese one?
I believe it's the middle option in our version.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You do realise Gamefreak already ditched Zoroark, before Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011 aka the time when real speculation started for Smash 4. Mewtwo also was dominating every other New Pokemon rep in popularity & lets not forget Sakurai himself once said, that it can be very hectic when dealing with the Pokemon Company.

Zoroark is really something Gamefreak wanted to forget as quickly as possible, because when it fell flat on its face at beginning of Gen 5, they brought Lucario back very quickly to promote BW2 & The Gen 5 Anime

If you really want a Gen 5 rep that had a small chance, it was Victini or maybe Genesect, because atleast the Genesect Movie was about Genesect VS Mewtwo
That was more or less the argument back in the older threads when Lucario was seen as a likely cut. Zoroark's fanbase was pretty calm in light of aggressive Lucario fans, there were some Genesect fans looking for something different, and a few vocal Victini fans who you Yokai Watch fans reminded me of a few weeks ago.

Zoroark probably missed the train by a lot in hindsight, though the primary argument was not being able to use it's illusion based moveset practically/why Ridley isn't in Smash-type thing.

I doubt they ditched Zoroark or want people to forget it, but I do agree it was a failed attempt to repeat Lucario's success.

But anyway, Lucario is the first non-Gen 1 related Pokemon to reach that A Class tier of iconic-ness/popularity among gamers, and while I do give some credit to Brawl, TPC did market it very well, and Movie 8 is arguably the best Pokemon movie that has come out. I'm really interested in seeing how well Greninja holds up in the coming years given Smash & Ash Greninja being a thing.

:4lucario::4greninja:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Illusion ability is a pretty important part for Zoroark and it's used first thing it comes out of a pokeball (Assuming there's a pokemon behind it). Mega evolution would probably clash with it unless Gamefreak can figure out a way to make both work well is what I think.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
That was more or less the argument back in the older threads when Lucario was seen as a likely cut. Zoroark's fanbase was pretty calm in light of aggressive Lucario fans, there were some Genesect fans looking for something different, and a few vocal Victini fans who you Yokai Watch fans reminded me of a few weeks ago.

Zoroark probably missed the train by a lot in hindsight, though the primary argument was not being able to use it's illusion based moveset practically/why Ridley isn't in Smash-type thing.

I doubt they ditched Zoroark or want people to forget it, but I do agree it was a failed attempt to repeat Lucario's success.

But anyway, Lucario is the first non-Gen 1 related Pokemon to reach that A Class tier of iconic-ness/popularity among gamers, and while I do give some credit to Brawl, TPC did market it very well, and Movie 8 is arguably the best Pokemon movie that has come out. I'm really interested in seeing how well Greninja holds up in the coming years given Smash & Ash Greninja being a thing.

Greninja is something that we should wait out & see how he keeps his relevance, but he for sure is on the same level as Blaziken when it comes to popularity among the Pokemon Fanbase, which is nothing to sneeze at ;) & he has great odds to rise above Blaziken

As for the aggressive Lucario fans in the speculation days, can you really blame them, when the majority of Lucario supporters had to put up with crap of people that did not do their research. BW2 made it pretty clear who had the highest chance to make it into Smash between him & Zoroark. I was called a Lunatic on forums for pointing out Lucario had become the secondary Mascot/Face of the newer games, when Gamefreak brought him back in the spotlight, because he was everywhere :p.

XY also played it very safe with promoting to, because the most prominent Pokemon you see in Gen 6 media are Mewtwo Y, Charizard X, Mega Lucario & Sylveon, which all are new forms of Fanfavourites, showing kinda that Gamefreak will take its time, to create a new Gen Mascot

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Greninja is something that we should wait out & see how he keeps his relevance, but he for sure is on the same level as Blaziken when it comes to popularity among the Pokemon Fanbase, which is nothing to sneeze at ;) & he has great odds to rise above Blaziken

As for the aggressive Lucario fans in the speculation days, can you really blame them, when the majority of Lucario supporters had to put up with crap of people that did not do their research. BW2 made it pretty clear who had the highest chance to make it into Smash between him & Zoroark. I was called a Lunatic on forums for pointing out Lucario had become the secondary Mascot/Face of the newer games, when Gamefreak brought him back in the spotlight, because he was everywhere :p.

XY also played it very safe with promoting to, because the most prominent Pokemon you see in Gen 6 media are Mewtwo Y, Charizard X, Mega Lucario & Sylveon, which all are new forms of Fanfavourites, showing kinda that Gamefreak will take its time, to create a new Gen Mascot
Greninja's getting a Mega of some sort and is the most popular Gen VI Mon

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I do believe :4greninja: will stick around for the long run. While he won't reach the level of popularity :4pikachu::4lucario::4charizard:&:4mewtwo: got, he will have that level of popularity Blaziken have

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm curious to know about the ballot's results used in other games.

K.Rool will probably return and Dixie will be in that game too.
Bandana Dee will definitely be considered a main character now and Magolor will have more appearances.
Maybe, they will make Golden Sun 4.
Bayonetta 3 will definitely happen.
Characters like Krystal and Impa will have more appearances, maybe.
Ridley will be smaller.
Etc.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Greninja's getting a Mega of some sort and is the most popular Gen VI Mon
Hence why I said Blaziken Level :). Just like Blaziken, Greninja is one of the few starters to come even close to the overall popularity the Kanto Starters have & that Blaziken could keep that popularity 3 gens later. Greninja most likely will go down this route & could even surpass Blaziken thanks to Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If there's one thing I'm not quite fond of during some speculations, is the oft assumption of game companies having some sort of vendetta against a character just because they haven't used them very much, or didn't use them in a certain way.

I guess it's kind of like with Sakurai and Ridley....

Although most of the time, it's usually because said dev's may want to promote or do something interesting with those characters. But don't really know how to go with them. Sakurai stated that he was aware of Ridley's demand for Smash but wasn't exactly sure how to implement him into the game while still staying true to the character. (I'll probably get some lectures from someone in regards to his treatment on Pyrosphere though....)

Gamefreak may want to give Zoroark a Mega Evolution for all we know. But due to the way it's Illusion ability works and how most players want to use the Maga Evolution as soon as their pokemon is out may form some issues in that regard. Which can be particularly problematic if said player wants to mega evolve their Zoroark and keep it disguised. considering the recent event as well as its recent promotion with the trading card games. I highly doubt the pokemon company has anything against Zoroark either.

As for Greninja, I guess only the future can tell if it would remain in the next Smash. It depends on how they will go at it when making the next game (if it would be some sort of port of Smash 4 or rebuild from the ground up again) and how he will hold up in later gens. And even then, that would probably just effect his priority though as Sakurai would probably still keep it in mind for the next games.

On a scale of one to ten how would you rate this year?
A lot of sad things happened this year, and while we did get some nice things too. I'd probably give it a 4/10.

Here's to hoping next year will be a bit brighter. ^^

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
7/10. I had a relatively good year (much better than the two years before that). Some room for improvement, but not bad considering what it was like before.

I think the more unique they are, the more likely they will be back. Greninja might be one of the first ones made, but he'll probably get more priority than Lucas in the next game.

EDIT: If you are feeling sad, watch this.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
5/10

Just really average.

2014 was just a much more fun year during that time with multiple things happening

2015 was average in the worst way but it had some great moments

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I wonder how the future will treat :4lucina::4robinm::4corrin:. Many years have passed since their introduction, but :4marth: and :4myfriends: still remain as fan favorite Smash and FE characters. I doubt loss of relevance would really affect characters with unique movesets, otherwise :4jigglypuff: and :4sheik: would have been cut... however there's also :squirtle::ivysaur:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Don't forget the Meloetta fans when she was tagging along in the anime.

Chrono.

GameXplain discuss their Top 3 GotYs

For the lazy:
Ash:
3rd Place: Yoshi's Woolly World
2nd Place: Freedom Planet
1st Place: Rocket League

Derrick
3rd Place: Until Dawn
2nd Place: Splatoon
1st Place: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Andre:
3rd Place: Rocket League
2nd Place: Super Mario Maker
1st Place: Splatoon

They also have some honorable mentions like Dragon Quest Heroes, Codename STEAM and Persona 4 Dancing All Night

What are you guys' Top 3 of the year?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

For the lazy:
Ash:

Derrick

Andre:

They also have some honorable mentions like Dragon Quest Heroes, Codename STEAM and Persona 4 Dancing All Night

Gamexplain gets a trophy in Smash 4? Aw man... :p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really wish Tumblr's social justice warriors would shut up about Daisy being whitewashed by Nintendo.

Like? Make sense please. She was white in her first appearance. And TAN in one whole game. One whole game.

That's not whitewashing, home skillets. Get a brain.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I really wish Tumblr's social justice warriors would shut up about Daisy being whitewashed by Nintendo.

Like? Make sense please. She was white in her first appearance. And TAN in one whole game. One whole game.

I agree that SJWs are being silly.

But I do think Daisy should be tanned. Not for social justice reasons, but because it would help her stand out. And it does make more sense anyway since she comes from a desert.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

For the lazy:
Ash:

Derrick

Andre:

1. Bloodborne
2. Super Mario Maker
3. Splatoon

I haven't played my #1 lol
Don't need to

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I agree that SJWs are being silly.

But I do think Daisy should be tanned. Not for social justice reasons, but because it would help her stand out. And it does make more sense anyway since she comes from a desert.
Sure, I mean, yes, her native homeland (that she never seems to be in any more. What a bad royal she is.) makes sense for her to have a tan.

However, that doesn't make her ethnic like they want. It just makes her a white woman with a tan.

Taking away a tan isn't whitewashing. You can't whitewash something that isn't pigment she was born with. It came from the time in the sun of her land. Not DNA. Lol.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

For the lazy:
Ash:

Derrick

Andre:

3. Super Mario Maker
2. Splatoon
1. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

Honorable mention to Undertale of course. It was tough picking between that and Mario Maker.

Also I'm glad they gave S.T.E.A.M. an honorable mention.

Burruni

Smash Hero

For the lazy:
Ash:

Derrick

Andre:

Most games I've picked up this year have been disappointments.
So, personally.
3: Disgaea 5 - What the series is known for and made means to better streamline some factors to make the experience as a whole more enjoyable. Not that far in but hell I probably won't before the year closes.
2: Duck Game - Anarchy in duck form. Wenk.
1: Splatoon. Honestly, this is the only game that I can't find something glaring about or found myself that upset over in terms of design (barring how much the game expects you to have in single player for all the upgrades). It's just too solid of a project to neglect.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

For the lazy:
Ash:

Derrick

Andre:

From the ones I've played

1. Mortal Kombat X
  2. Resident Evil Revelations 2
  3. Shovel Knight (Xbox One version)

D

Deleted member

Zoroark coming out of a Pokeball probably has something to do with her being a movie Pokemon
Actually, I believe all legendaries in Smash have appeared in a movie before iirc

I'm more concerned why no Gen 5 Pokemon besides Audino hasone
WHERE'S MAH MEGA GALVANTULA?

I'm not that knowledgable in DNA and stuff so correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't she HAVE to be white to be a redhead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom