• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In steam train they were like "Imagine if you just went to work every day and were like: "I'm too sad to work today"

and the other one replied "Yes, that is every day for most people"

Yep, true that

Burruni

Smash Hero
In steam train they were like "Imagine if you just went to work every day and were like: "I'm too sad to work today"

and the other one replied "Yes, that is every day for most people"

Yep, true that
True Chronic Depression That Fills You With Too Much Anxiety That You Can't Sleep and Gain A Crossbreed of Insomnia and Narcolepsy But Try To Remain A Functioning College Student And Part Time Worker Hours WHO UP?!

(seriously, I got up at 6 and it's 3:24, I need to force myself to sleep. see y'all tomorrow).

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

So you know I will dissect it :)

The theory I found very plausible are the sheik one, the lip one and the herringway one (the novelist name and JUST that).

We knew about smrpg 2.

I actually didn;t know about the artstyle origin, didn;t read much but the SS iwata ask did had details that I dismissed because......other more shocking stuff. it;s interesting.

But the religion one, the peter pan one (c'mon......), the yoshi story one, I dont; trust these, they sound way too far fetched tbh.

And tbh, i am disappointed at the video, there is A LOT more unused stuff in pm64 and TTYD alone would require a video as there;s a ton of unused stuff, some are actually very funny. spm has too and I even discovered more lately with unused maps and now very recently, enemies data. I now have enemies data evidences.

SS, there;s some, but not much.

yeah, they need to do a part2, also, they really need to get their facts straight......so much far fetched theories.....

will tag PushDustIn PushDustIn because I feel he likes to show how wrong dykg is sometime and there is part that are.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

So you know I will dissect it :)

The theory I found very plausible are the sheik one, the lip one and the herringway one (the novelist name and JUST that).

We knew about smrpg 2.

I actually didn;t know about the artstyle origin, didn;t read much but the SS iwata ask did had details that I dismissed because......other more shocking stuff. it;s interesting.

But the religion one, the peter pan one (c'mon......), the yoshi story one, I dont; trust these, they sound way too far fetched tbh.

And tbh, i am disappointed at the video, there is A LOT more unused stuff in pm64 and TTYD alone would require a video as there;s a ton of unused stuff, some are actually very funny. spm has too and I even discovered more lately with unused maps and now very recently, enemies data. I now have enemies data evidences.

SS, there;s some, but not much.

yeah, they need to do a part2, also, they really need to get their facts straight......so much far fetched theories.....

will tag PushDustIn PushDustIn because I feel he likes to show how wrong dykg is sometime and there is part that are.
Do you know Sheek's name in Japanese? It could be a reference that was was created during localization.

Tink it probably a reference to Tinkle. Like Tinkle Tinkle Little Star.

As for the religion, I doubt that that too. It doesnt seem like a reference Nintendo would do.

Yoshi Story is debatable. If they had a quote I'd be more incline to believe it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You know, had Diddy and Dixie really been able to be realized as a tag-team duo in Brawl, we may very well lost them in the transition to SM4SH like we did with Ice Climbers. I realize the situation would be moreso like Rosalina and Luma as far as the AI partner is concerned, but how would you have reacted if Diddy+Dixie was a thing in Brawl and if they were cut in the transition because the 3DS version made them unfeasible like Icies?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, had Diddy and Dixie really been able to be realized as a tag-team duo in Brawl, we may very well lost them in the transition to SM4SH like we did with Ice Climbers. I realize the situation would be moreso like Rosalina and Luma as far as the AI partner is concerned, but how would you have reacted if Diddy+Dixie was a thing in Brawl and if they were cut in the transition because the 3DS version made them unfeasible like Icies?
From what I understood of the mechanic, they'd work a bit like a mix between Zelda/Sheik and Ice Climbers. So they would have probably been separated or at least Diddy Kong would have been brought back in Smash 4.

At least that's what I think they would have done. But I suppose they could very well have ended up like Ice Climbers if Sakurai where to view that mechanic as too important for them....

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They would have just been separated like Charizard.
Worst-case scenario would have been Dixie Kong being cut.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The fact that Sakurai included Diddy and even tried at first to make it a Dixie/Diddy tag team (a staple mechanic of DKC) makes me believe he doesn't see the series as just a Mario branch.
He's also brought DK64 stuff back with Diddy's moveset long before the DKC series did.

And the Kremlings in Smash Run before they appeared in a new DKC game.

And the new DKCR stage is quite unique with its dual layer mechanic, which is a gameplay element of said game. You know, much like how Olimar has the Pikmin moveset, Palutena has customized moves, Shulk has Monado Arts, Robin has limited tome uses, Ryu and the SF controls, Cloud and FF7's Limit Breaks and so on.

In Smash 64 and Melee, the Kongo Jungle stages have the Barrel Cannons as stage elements, which also are staples of the series. Said Barrel Cannons are also used extensively in Brawl's SSE and in Smash Run.

Sakurai clearly hates the DK series, right? He never played the games and doesn't care about it.

Okay, it could have more content than it has, as it could have one more character (Dixie, K. Rool, Cranky) and at least one Assist Trophy (animal buddies, enemies), but I think the DK content still has plenty of the unique elements found in that series.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Y'know, speaking of the Ice Climbers, I've unlocked their trophy on the Wii U version yesterday (That challenge is so much easier if you use Cloud...) and by taking a closer look. I wonder if that was the same model planned to be used for the initial game before being scrapped due to technical difficulties. I can't really tell if the model itself is higher poly though so I'll probably have to ask the model resources about that....

Strofirko

Smash Master
I think the problem dates back to smash 64,when :4yoshi: with 2 main games (island and story),started getting its own identity like the :4dk: series,but then until the brawl era :4yoshi: only got one more main game(Island ds) and 2 spin offs,while :4dk: with a complete trilogy,got a 64 title and a plethora of spin offs.
:4wario: is a complete different case,when his reresentation is most based on the warioware brand,and that series alone has enough to call it's own universe.
:4yoshi:only got the short end of the stick with the development his franchise,and at this point sakurai will not get ride of the egg icon.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay, it could have more content than it has, as it could have one more character (Dixie, K. Rool, Cranky) and at least one Assist Trophy (animal buddies, enemies), but I think the DK content still has plenty of the unique elements found in that series.
I think his current stance is bordering on apathy more than anything; a little strange, as the DKC series always seemed to do well on both sides of the Pacific.

He obviously loves Donkey Kong 64 more than the rest though. Diddy's Jetpack is still the DK64 version despite getting a redesign in DKC Returns, Jungle Japes being in both Brawl and Smash 4, and the Kremling's attacks in Smash Run based on a DK64 cutscene. :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think his current stance is bordering on apathy more than anything; a little strange, as the DKC series always seemed to do well on both sides of the Pacific.

He obviously loves Donkey Kong 64 more than the rest though. Diddy's Jetpack is still the DK64 version despite getting a redesign in DKC Returns and Jungle Japes being in both Brawl and Smash 4, and the Kremling's attacks in Smash Run based on a DK64 cutscene. :laugh:

Now you're making me want to see Sakurai try his hand at making a Donkey Kong 64 sequel.

Oh the irony that would create....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I will never understand why people were soo behind the idea of Zoroark to be honest. Despite him being the promoted 'mon of Gen 5, he's still a failed Lucario clone of a Pokemon. He didn't garner NEARLY the support that Lucario did pre-Brawl and unlike Zoroark, Lucario is still an incredibly popular Pokemon as far as advertising and merchandising is concerned.

I was always for a 6th generation rep myself, I just didn't know who since, it barely had been out by the time Smash hype had begun.

Still though, my opinion on Zoroark is that Gamefreak tried to copy the success of Lucario, and failed.
If X/Y hadn't been in development, we still would got a 5th gen Pokemon, and out of all the Pokemon with unique attributes, Zoroark is the most standout who would've gotten regardless of his popularity after B/W released.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's also brought DK64 stuff back with Diddy's moveset long before the DKC series did.

And the Kremlings in Smash Run before they appeared in a new DKC game.

And the new DKCR stage is quite unique with its dual layer mechanic, which is a gameplay element of said game. You know, much like how Olimar has the Pikmin moveset, Palutena has customized moves, Shulk has Monado Arts, Robin has limited tome uses, Ryu and the SF controls, Cloud and FF7's Limit Breaks and so on.

In Smash 64 and Melee, the Kongo Jungle stages have the Barrel Cannons as stage elements, which also are staples of the series. Said Barrel Cannons are also used extensively in Brawl's SSE and in Smash Run.

Sakurai clearly hates the DK series, right? He never played the games and doesn't care about it.

Frost...

Did you just read "DK" and rant without reading what he actually said and the context behind it? :laugh:

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If X/Y hadn't been in development, we still would got a 5th gen Pokemon, and out of all the Pokemon with unique attributes, Zoroark is the most standout who would've gotten regardless of his popularity after B/W released.
You do realise Gamefreak already ditched Zoroark, before Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011 aka the time when real speculation started for Smash 4. Mewtwo also was dominating every other New Pokemon rep in popularity & lets not forget Sakurai himself once said, that it can be very hectic when dealing with the Pokemon Company.

Zoroark is really something Gamefreak wanted to forget as quickly as possible, because when it fell flat on its face at beginning of Gen 5, they brought Lucario back very quickly to promote BW2 & The Gen 5 Anime

If you really want a Gen 5 rep that had a small chance, it was Victini or maybe Genesect, because atleast the Genesect Movie was about Genesect VS Mewtwo

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
To be honest, I sometimes forget about Zoroark's existence until someone brings him up. He's just a very forgettable Pokemon to me.

No offense to the fans of course. I recognize that he has appeal. My favorite Gen V Pokemon isn't a notable one after all.

I feel if Zoroark were to be added to Smash 4 as the just new "Lucario", it would just feel weird. That would be basically shoving him into our faces like "HEY LIKE THIS NEW LUCARIO!!" when he failed to be that popular.

(this isn't to say Zoroark wouldn't be a good addition, just speaking from the "Lucario" angle)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You do realise Gamefreak already ditched Zoroark, before Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011 aka the time when real speculation started for Smash 4. Mewtwo also was dominating every other New Pokemon rep in popularity & lets not forget Sakurai himself once said, that it can be very hectic when dealing with the Pokemon Company.

Zoroark is really something Gamefreak wanted to forget as quickly as possible, because when it fell flat on its face at beginning of Gen 5, they brought Lucario back very quickly to promote BW2 & The Gen 5 Anime

If you really want a Gen 5 rep that had a small chance, it was Victini or maybe Genesect, because atleast the Genesect Movie was about Genesect VS Mewtwo
That last movie made my interest in Genesect rise significantly higher. It's why he was my Gen V mon of choice. Had a lot of potential too, especially thanks to the movie.

None the less, he wasn't much stand out beyond that or severely popular or even a mascot specifically. Gen V doesn't seem to have a key mascot either at this point. Zoroark was clearly attempted to be one, but fell harder than an overweight Golem.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For a pokemon "Gamefreak wanted to forget" Zoroark sure has been getting a bit of love lately what with one of the latest events as well as it being one of the main faces of the Pokemon trading card games recently. He's kinda been used as some sort of rival for Mega Mewtwo X much like Lucario was used for Mega Mewtwo Y.

Whilst I don't think Sakurai would include Zoroark anytime soon. I think his fate lied more due to timing more than anything else as a new gen was around the corned that Gamefreak wanted to promote. Much like what happened with gen 3 in Brawl.

Sakurai did get to give Black and White some love with its stage in the 3DS version though which interestingly was based off the first Black and White and not Black and White 2 and Zoroark being one of the few non-legendary pokemon to come out of a Master Ball rather than the regular Pokeball.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If there were to be a Pokemon-centric Smash Bros. game, and with a roster no bigger than Melee's and including all the Smash Pokemon vets, who would Sakurai include?

I wanna say Meowth, Genesect, Hawlucha, Zoroark, Gengar, Gardevoir, Deoxys, Sceptile, Eevee, with Braixen and Infernape as personal wants. Arceus would be the Master Hand final boss.

If Fakemon counted I'd also include Neureka from Pokemon Sage and the Fakemon Fightiro just because I love them haha.

Naoshi

For a pokemon "Gamefreak wanted to forget" Zoroark sure has been getting a bit of love lately what with one of the latest events as well as it being one of the main faces of the Pokemon trading card games lately. He's kinda been used as some sort of rival for Mega Mewtwo X much like Lucario was used for Mega Mewtwo Y.

Whilst I don't think Sakurai would include Zoroark anytime soon. I think his fate lied more due to timing more than anything else as a new gen was around the corned that Gamefreak wanted to promote. Much like what happened with gen 3 in Brawl.

Sakurai did get to give Black and White some love with its stage in the 3DS version though which interestingly was based off the first Black and White and not Black and White 2 and Zoroark being one of the few non-legendary pokemon to come out of a Master Ball rather than the regular Pokeball.
Zoroark is a psuedo-legendary right? That might be why he's from the Masterball.

EDIT: Disregard that. He isn't and I just learned it was a fan term and it meant something else :laugh:

I wonder how many non-legendaries are from the Masterball though.

EDIT: Just him and Goldeen.

I feel bad for anyone who caught Goldeen in a Masterball.

But yeah interesting. I wonder what made him a Masterball Pokemon?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Zoroark is a psuedo-legendary right? That might be why he's from the Masterball.

EDIT: Disregard that. He isn't and I just learned it was a fan term and it meant something else :laugh:

I wonder how many non-legendaries are from the Masterball though
The only other non-legend Pokemon I can think of that sometimes comes out of a Master Ball is Goldeen. (more or less used to prank the player)

Interestingly, Zoroark is apparently also put onto the "legends of Unova" section in the Trophy exhibit. Not sure if that was a mistake on the dev's part or a reference to the fact he comes out of a Master Ball.....

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Cassandra Lee Morris discusses localization and voicing Lin in XCX

Naoshi

The only other non-legend Pokemon I can think of that sometimes comes out of a Master Ball is Goldeen. (more or less used to prank the player)

Interestingly, Zoroark is apparently also put onto the "legends of Unova" section in the Trophy excibit. Not sure if that was a mistake on the dev's part or a reference to the fact he comes out of a Master Ball.....
Yeah. That is very strange. Maybe they internally consider him a legendary? To be honest, I wouldn't find it weird if he meant to be one at some point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gen V has a major problem: Too many great pokemon to pick a favourite from

I wonder how many non-legendaries are from the Masterball though.

EDIT: Just him and Goldeen.

I feel bad for anyone who caught Goldeen in a Masterball.

But yeah interesting. I wonder what made him a Masterball Pokemon?
Goldeen was caught in a Masterball in Twitch plays Pokemon iirc lol

Zoroark was almost impossible to get without legendary pokemon, and as Gen VI's designs weren't finalized before Smash, it's safe to assume that Sakurai was unaware wild Zoroark could be caught in XY, as before that, you either needed legendary event pokemon or reach a certain point in BW2 before receiving a Zorua

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think you guys are overthinking this whole "ARE THEY A MARIO CHARACTER???" thing.

Yoshi, Wario, and DK are all characters that originated from the Mario franchise, but branched out to have their own franchise, while still having presence in Mario games. As such, I refer to them as "Mario Universe" characters. They aren't primary Mario characters like :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina:, they just appear in spin-offs mostly, and then their own games represent an extended part of the Mario Universe. In Smash, they serve to represent their branches of the Mario Universe, while the six characters above just represent the Mario titles in general that star Mario himself.

For reference, Playtonic Games seem to want to do something similar with Yooka-Laylee and it's characters. And Rare sort of did this back in the day with Conker being pulled out of Diddy Kong Racing and being given his own games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah. That is very strange. Maybe they internally consider him a legendary? To be honest, I wouldn't find it weird if he meant to be one at some point.
I can only guess he was probably used as the "Chrom" of the Pokemon series. Not playable, but still given a bit more love compared to most Pokemon. *shrugs*

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Some of those comments are straight up disrespectful towards the voice actor. =/ There are few that are willing to actually discuss it, but it seems like most of them are essentially saying, "you are wrong because I said so."

She said on Twitter she's going to do a follow up video discussing the localization changes. Should be interesting to see what she comes out with.

Naoshi

Some of those comments are straight up disrespectful towards the voice actor. =/ There are few that are willing to actually discuss it, but it seems like most of them are essentially saying, "you are wrong because I said so."

She said on Twitter she's going to do a follow up video discussing the localization changes. Should be interesting to see what she comes out with.
Gamers man

When you say something they disagree with, they will treat you like **** because they think otherwise. Also in this case, "muh boners". It's sad, really.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think this is/was supposed to be part of a series on Smash character parodies. I can't find any other ones though. This one is still funny though.

Language warning and all that:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gamers man

When you say something they disagree with, they will treat you like **** because they think otherwise. Also in this case, "muh boners". It's sad, really.
Honestly, gamers fueled by the rage of not getting boners are the worst. Especially because in the amount of time they whine about boner stuff getting removed, they could have seen SOOOOOO much porn so they don't have an excuse. Besides, the less boners I get the better, so removing it isn't a big deal to me, the general audience

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Cassandra Lee Morris discusses localization and voicing Lin in XCX
Copy paste from my youtube comment post:

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand why people are complaining about censorship in this game specifically.

All they got rid of was what, a swimsuit for a 13 year old female character and an option to change a female character's bust size?

Yes, yes I get the whole thing about freedom of expression and what not, but why complain about two things that are so minor and trivial in comparison to the rest of the entire game?

Also, I personally am neutral about the whole Xenoblade Chronicles X censorship thing.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of Zoroark, I never understood why he was passed over for a mega-evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom