• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I think you're being a bit over-dramatic.

It's "best game ever" in title, but in actuality, it's a popularity contest.

Regardless of how iconic Pokemon is (or the other games Undertale beat; don't forget that it bested Super Mario World in the previous round), Undertale is what's hot. Most people who are fans of both are probably voting Undertale because it's what they're into right now.
Oh I understand. You missed my comment a long couple pages back about this whole thing.

The point is, a lot of people do take it seriously. And that irks me. It shouldn't. But it does.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
You're taking this waaaaaaaaay too seriously.
Oh believe me, if I were, I'd go in full force to get pokemon fans to vote, or just make macros that vote over and over again. Its just a poll, and I don't care to ever put effort in that. I'm just disappointed in the gaming community yet again.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I tweeted at the guy asking if they are eventually planning on implementing stuff for the gamepad or if there's amiibo support or anything. I'll let you know if he replies.
Well, it sounded like it was a thing that was going to be added in the future , judging by the way the tweet was worded.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Minecraft not using the Gamepad for inventory is... what? Why?

Zelda got it right, among other games, what's Minecraft's excuse?
Zelda got it right (Once currently, but Zelda U and TPHD ain't too far behind)
Mario Kart got it right (And did it amazingly too)
Shantae got it right iirc
I think Butt Butt did it right butt I haven't played the Wii U version so there's that
Minecraft pls
Get with the times
This ain't Wii U Launch Date
We ain't in December 2012 no more

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
"It's bad business when they dont make money"?? I'm pretty sure most of these games are selling pretty well, even if people online are crying "censorship". Wait: you are right....removing the racial undertones of Animal Crossing: New Leaf was a bad business decision, and it cost them a million sales. Oh wait....

I've been arguing that all localization is not censorship as it's not forced changes by an external organization and most of the time allows for a wider demographic to enjoy the game without unneeded controversy. If I'm not mistaken, your argument is that changes are bad/ are not needed as it doesn't actually widen the demographic of the people who buy it.
Alright. I only said two things. And now you are getting sarcastic with me and putting words in my mouth.

So instead of continuing with a discussion that will clearly go nowhere. I'll ask this. What did I say? You your self said that disagreements were fine.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Be lucky. Imagine if Undertale came out sometime around the height of the Smash Ballot.

How many people would have spam the ballot with Undertale characters.
Ughhhhh.

Oh I understand. You missed my comment a long couple pages back about this whole thing.

The point is, a lot of people do take it seriously. And that irks me. It shouldn't. But it does.
We shouldn't but let's be honest, it's pretty much this:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Be lucky. Imagine if Undertale came out sometime around the height of the Smash Ballot.

How many people would have spam the ballot with Undertale characters.
Ughhhhh.
I'd rather have Undertale representation than representation for the indy games that are in high demand for Smash.

Though that's not really saying much, the only character I can think of that I'd want Shantae over is Sora.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Oh wow you're right http://gonintendo.com/stories/24839...tion-won-t-use-the-gamepad-screen-for-item-ma

So it's more expensive than the other versions (bc it's packaged with dlc I know) + no exclusive stuff? I don't see this version doing too well (not that I did before)
3rd parties giving Nintendo the short end again. Seriously the guys purposefully make their wii u ports bad so that they don't sell well, thus giving the 3rd parties a justifiable reason not to make games for them. This is easily a huge failure.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No we were taking it too seriously way before then. . .

AKA the first time it got brought up awhile ago.
I feel like it escalated with the article going up, at least in regards to discussion on this site.

I mean the poll is actually skewed in a lot of ways.

I love how they didn't use KH2 Final Mix, and instead used vanilla KH2.

Yet Melee technically gets multiple versions representing itself due to them sharing the same name (the PAL and NTSC versions have some pretty substantial differences particularly in regards to balancing).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
All this undertale hype actually made me forget FNAF was thing.that kinda died down didn't it
It died down considering Scott stop releasing games like a madman every 4-5 months.

We haven't gotten a legit FNAF game since July I think and the Halloween DLC was just a new game called FNAF World

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I eagerly anticipate circlejerking Melee to the top imo
Maybe Sakurai will see the truth then

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It died down considering Scott stop releasing games like a madman every 4-5 months.

We haven't gotten a legit FNAF game since July I think and the Halloween DLC was just a new game called FNAF World
The Halloween DLC wasn't FNAF World. FNAF World is a new product altogether (and is why the fandom has gone quiet - they are waiting for that game).

I don't know all of what the DLC was, but I know it added Nightmare versions of more of the animatronics like Balloon Boy and Mangle, and new modes and stuff.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TBH I think part of why the FNAF fandom has gone quiet is that the fandom has matured.

FNAF fans are past the stage where they are covering their avatars and signatures in FNAF and posting about it in unrelated places, and there is no fresh FNAF product for YouTubers to milk (Game Theory will still do so but MatPat is the ultimate clickbaiter anyway). People still love FNAF but the idea isn't new anymore. It has settled in as a normal part of their life.

Undertale is still right in the middle of that phase. And due to the nature of the game, tumblr also shills it.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Alright. I only said two things. And now you are getting sarcastic with me and putting words in my mouth.

So instead of continuing with a discussion that will clearly go nowhere. I'll ask this. What did I say? You your self said that disagreements were fine.
I stated what I thought your argument was in the post you quoted. If I'm mistaken then please go ahead and correct me.

I'm merely showing you that the claim that all localization is bad because it destroys the original work is a ridiculous assumption. There's so many good examples of localization which the community never praises or talk about.

But when it's sexual content that removed in order to avoid controversy, and to appeal to a wider audience... people suddenly cry out "it's destroying the authors intent! It's censorship!" which is not the case at all.

So if I somehow misrepresented your argument then please go ahead and tell me what you said. Because based on your example of a game that tried to appeal to everyone, failing...it seems like this is your argument.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If covering up a 13 year old girl because they were ridiculously over sexualized is "Ruining the artist's vision"...

Then I don't really respect that vision too much in the first place.

I'm loving X, but there's no questioning that the sexualization of a 13 year old girl is ridiculous and uncalled for. I'm very happy with that change.

Boob slider? Eh. That's not as big of a deal, I'd like to see it but it's not the end of the world.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

The FNAF4 DLC was the addition of 3 new animatronics, Balloon Boy, Mangle and Puppet, all nightmarified, alongside a bunch of different challenge modes and extra achievements. And I guess the two Jack-O'Lantern bots, but those are just recolors of Chica and Bonnie.

FNAF World is the cutesy RPG spinoff that's coming next year, said to be "inspired by the classic SNES Final Fantasy's". The fandom's mostly gone quiet because Scott revealed a controversial teaser image that many people took as Mangle hanging herself, then literally went dark on both of his websites and hasn't said a peep since. There was a lot of people freaking out that he committed suicide or something after the negative reaction to the FNAF World trailer and that the Mangle image was his way of saying goodbye before the sites went dark, but it's known from people close to him that he's fine and that it was nothing at all like that.

Ever since then it's just been waiting for more news of any kind.
no im not a fnaf fan shut up

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
PushDustIn PushDustIn

I never said all Localization was bad. I said localization can possibly be bad or flawed. As in just because something is localized doesn't automatically make it a good localization. The can still be flawed or at least debatable quality.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so shifting gears from gamefqs its time for the yokai watch update of my adventures

Watch rank: A
current progress: nocturn hospital
team: shadow venoct, bloominoko, snartle, shogunyan, chilluaua, blizzaria
medalium completion: 66%

and as for other games news
fast racing neo looks to be the unoffical F-zero GX sequel you've all been waiting for

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
so shifting gears from gamefqs its time for the yokai watch update of my adventures

Watch rank: A
current progress: nocturn hospital
team: shadow venoct, bloominoko, snartle, shogunyan, chilluaua, blizzaria
medalium completion: 66%

and as for other games news
fast racing neo looks to be the unoffical F-zero GX sequel you've all been waiting for
Well, Fast Racing Neo is a good start, but it can't replace F-Zero until it becomes, um...not flat.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I know I said it before but I still don't get the need to label Undertale as fad culture and get so angry over the GameFAQs poll. Like, can't you just say "Undertale's not my cup of tea" without saying "It would never be this popular without fad culture and it's going to be dead in a year"? I will probably not be as into the game in a year as I am now because that's true for any game, but it's very close to my heart despite what flaws it might have and that kind of connection with any type of media doesn't just go away for me so I'm not going to just forget it in a year. Mirror's Edge is an incredibly flawed game but 7 years after its release it's still one of my absolute favorite games of all time. So personally I kind of resent the attempt to invalidate people's love for the game.

In a poll that can be filled out by such a massive quantity of people, you're going to have widely varying and extremely subjective standards, so being upset that a "classic" is losing to a new game is...I mean, what else do you expect? Not to mention that IMO the significance of the "classics" classification is mostly just whatever impact they had on the genre, gaming in general, etc., which is a fun fact, but in a medium where things can age pretty badly, it doesn't mean much else. In a "Best Game Ever" poll you can expect a lot of people to go for pure enjoyment, and old games may not fit in that category for some. Super Mario 64, for example, was pretty revolutionary for its time, but I wouldn't vote it as "best game" based on that alone since I find Sunshine and Galaxy to both be far more enjoyable.

I'm not saying any of this to say Undertale deserves to win the poll (I'd be shocked if it wins over the usual contenders and won't really care even if it wins), but rather that the hostility because...the game is really popular(?) just strikes me as unnecessarily negative. If you don't like the fandom, try to steer clear of it (any fandom core can get pretty bad). If you don't like the idea of it potentially winning "best game" maybe it's best not to keep tabs on the poll.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still like Undertale, but TBH I'm kind of done with it at this point

When it all comes down to it, it IS a pretty short game

and you can only beat it so many times to get different results

D

Deleted member

It's kinda funny, I hear more about Undertale from the people annoyed at the Undertale fanbase than from Undertale fans.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's because hating what is "cool" is also cool :p
Well, that's nothing new

Remember hating the popular bands when you were young

Only to listen to some of their songs years later when they were no longer cool

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But seriously, how would a hypothetical Undertale movie even work though? It's one of those things where multiple endings are needed to fully understand everything, and those endings obviously contradict themselves. That really doesn't lend itself well to a movie. Sure, you could just do the Pacifist route, but...

To even do that, you need to beat Photoshop Flowey first and reset the timeline via loading in order to face the true final boss. And then Chara wouldn't be fully explained either. And hell, that's not even getting into things like Gaster. And on top of that, a large part of the story relies on things like Saving and Loading the game, and other things that only exist in a video game interface. It's kind of...necessary for it to be a game. A movie really wouldn't work.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But seriously, how would a hypothetical Undertale movie even work though? It's one of those things where multiple endings are needed to fully understand everything, and those endings obviously contradict themselves. That really doesn't lend itself well to a movie. Sure, you could just do the Pacifist route, but...

To even do that, you need to beat Photoshop Flowey first and reset the timeline via loading in order to face the true final boss. And then Chara wouldn't be fully explained either. And hell, that's not even getting into things like Gaster. And on top of that, a large part of the story relies on things like Saving and Loading the game, and other things that only exist in a video game interface. It's kind of...necessary for it to be a game. A movie really wouldn't work.
Something non linear that shows the same story from the dark and light sides

with segments like Pulp Fiction

Khoru

Smash Champion
Something non linear that shows the same story from the dark and light sides
actually i think kagepro does something like that
probably not the anime (mekakucity actors) though?

i don't know how coherent it is. my girlfriend's just into it

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Btw I've found a truckton of religious references in X so far. Great localization, really enjoying the dialogue.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just imagine a scene earlier in the movie where Frisk murder's all her (he, she it?)'s friends

and a later scene where it shows the pacifist ending.

I imagine Flowey being the FIRST scene.

It could show the player played the neutral ending first.

Ending with the pacifist fight. Then after the credits having a scene of the post genocide pacifist ending

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Undertale controversy everywhere.
Really, if you hate the game just because it's popular. Then you're not better than the fanboy.

Also, how can you hate the music??? IT'S SO GODDAMN GOOOOOD!!!!

(Also, for me, the parodie of Undertale are just perfect. But there, it's just me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom