• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Chrono. Chrono. Sooo I went into Xenoblad today and saw I still had 'Repair Job' active. Apparently I did not have that 5th piece yet.

5 hours later it was finally done... I'd even added two more probes that definitely said they'd get that WC, and it still took forever. Couldn't help but laugh at that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the subject of localization and artist's original intent:

The thing with the idea of the artist's original intent is that no matter in which form the product is in, there are usually going to be changes made to it that wasn't in the original plan.

With media, there are usually going to be others who do have their own influence on the product other then the creator, and they each have their own ideas and takes on elements of it that may result in a change, usually in a way that they feel will better serve the product. This is particularly the case if you're trying to sell the product to the audience as sometimes the ideas that are had in mind aren't as appealing to the audience they're trying to sell to, and thus may have to have those elements changed to better appeal. For instance, for those following FE: Fates, the skinship was actually more lewd in the original plans from IS (you could touch lower then the face and the touch icon was a hand rather then a pen), but Nintendo veto'd the idea and it was toned down as a result.

Localization is another facet of that, the product that has been made is going to be brought over to another country and thus may have to have elements of it changed to better appeal to it. That country is likely going to have their own viewpoints, cultural differences and the like that are going to result in certain aspects of the product not holding up as well such as cultural jokes, references, or otherwise. Those differences may have to be accounted for, and by doing so, the product is made in a way to better appeal to the audience you're trying to sell to.

Ultimately, localization is not a case of trying to destroy or demean the author's work, but rather dub it in a way that carries its meaning to the audience in the best way possible similar to how those behind the original work try to create the best product that they can. It may not always work, but ultimately, the general idea with the dubbers is to give a great product that different audiences can enjoy, not one that gets rid of what the author wanted out of it.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Sadly, I think a big part of Undertale's appeal - its ability to surprise you by breaking norms - was lost to its own popularity and hype. Everybody talks about it, everybody knows what it's about... it's one of those games where even a little bit of spoiling can completely ruin the experience.

Undertale hit me hard in a place that games hadn't hit in a long, long time - and I'm talking about the demo. I downloaded that sucker on a whim, based on nothing but some screenshots of the pixel art opening that I thought looked cool. I had no idea what this game was or why I should care.

And then I met Flowey.

That game bit hard and didn't let go. And then I replayed it, again and again, seeing all the detail put into it - an hour long demo, yet I'd played through it at least 8 separate times to see it all.

Unfortunately, now that the game's out and everybody talks about it openly and everybody's seen everything, that experience of seeing it and being surprised for the first time is reserved only for the lucky few who got to play it first. It isn't surprising that fans who found it later don't see it as anything special - the novelty has already been ruined for them. It has little else to offer if you know what to expect.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason, Let's Players don't seem to understand it's Flowey that's saving and loading in the final battle

They think they are doing it somehow

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Chrono. Chrono. Sooo I went into Xenoblad today and saw I still had 'Repair Job' active. Apparently I did not have that 5th piece yet.

5 hours later it was finally done... I'd even added two more probes that definitely said they'd get that WC, and it still took forever. Couldn't help but laugh at that.
Meanwhile the checklist didn't tell me i didn't have any Energy Tubes because I ACCIDENTALLY ****ING SOLD THEM

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Q: Why don't we see maces and axes that much in high medieval / renaissance warfare / art / manuals where armor is prevalent?
A: Take a longsword and hold it the other way around. Congratulations, you now have a mace. Called half-swording btw

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Q: Why don't we see maces and axes that much in high medieval / renaissance warfare / art / manuals where armor is prevalent?
A: Take a longsword and hold it the other way around. Congratulations, you now have a mace. Called half-swording btw
What?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No, saying hitting something with a great sword turned is a mace isn't clear at all
I said longsword, not Zweihänder, but yes they did half-swording with those too.
Yes, a sword turned around can effectively be used as a blunt implement.
I forgot the other, probably more important, part of the equation tho: swords can get into the gaps between armor, and grabbing it half way helps with that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwtkRd8xzU
other stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi757-7XD94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdMfaymGlk
http://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/Gladiatoria_(MS_Germ.Quart.16)

Edit:
http://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/Jörg_Wilhalm_Hutters_kunst_zu_Augspurg_(Cod.I.6.2º.3)

Pictures of the manliest of men fighting in armor with swords (sometimes on horses).

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we're getting Cloud + the two unknown character data fighters and that's it? Not necessarily all on the same day, I just mean in general do you think these are the last DLC characters we'll get for SM4SH?

Personally, I'm gonna say no. I know that because of the U.K. Description of the broadcast from a month ago I'm in the minority in thinking that, but I don't think we're stopping at three when we have the space for at least three more.

Stopping the DLC at ten characters, and just having those last three be worked on and released over the coming year and then that being the end sounds reasonable. Just announce that there's X number of character left without necessarily saying who they are or giving dates and inform us that they are the last DLC characters. We can get them revealed in standard Directs every other month and released right/shortly after, and then save something like an all-DLC inclusive "Smash 4 Ultra" at E3 as the final sendoff for the game, possibly with one or two more characters like a separate Alph or such.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Do you guys think we're getting Cloud + the two unknown character data fighters and that's it? Not necessarily all on the same day, I just mean in general do you think these are the last DLC characters we'll get for SM4SH?

Personally, I'm gonna say no. I know that because of the U.K. Description of the broadcast from a month ago I'm in the minority in thinking that, but I don't think we're stopping at three when we have the space for at least three more.

Stopping the DLC at ten characters, and just having those last three be worked on and released over the coming year and then that being the end sounds reasonable. Just announce that there's X number of character left without necessarily saying who they are or giving dates and inform us that they are the last DLC characters. We can get them revealed in standard Directs every other month and released right/shortly after, and then save something like an all-DLC inclusive "Smash 4 Ultra" at E3 as the final sendoff for the game, possibly with one or two more characters like a separate Alph or such.
Yeah, them stopping at ten is what I'm hoping for/predicting as well. Cloud and two other characters the day of the direct, and then three more released over the course of 2016. The fact that not only would it give us a perfect round number for amount of DLC characters but also give us a perfectly square CSS is what has me thinking it's possible.

I dunno about announcing the number of remaining characters, but I think revealing one of the Ballot characters (because yes I'm one of those people who think Cloud and whoever comes with him are pre-ballot) in a similar way to Mewtwo's reveal from the 50 Facts direct, with just a model, would be a safe guess.

Also, if there was some sort of "Smash 4 Ultra" release, I'd expect it to be for NX, which would mean no 3DS to hold back the Ice Climbers who would at that point almost definitely come back.

But then again, maybe I'm just getting too hopeful. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Considering they just add to the placeholder files when needed I think we'll get an even 8 characters.
The last one being Wolf.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So, I bing (sorry) searched microaggression, this is one of the images that came up.

who

what language is asian

im dying

Hilarious (sorry), yet at the same time sad (sorry).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think even or neat numbers count for much. Look at Smash 4's inital roster size, its awkward no matter how you slice it (count miis as 3 characters one or not at all, don't count clones ect.)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, I bing (sorry) searched microaggression, this is one of the images that came up.

who

what language is asian

im dying

Hilarious (sorry), yet at the same time sad (sorry).
I knew a kid that was part Japanese

Even knowing that, he walked up to a chinese man that was visiting the school and said

"Konichiwa"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think even or neat numbers count for much. Look at Smash 4's inital roster size, its awkward no matter how you slice it (count miis as 3 characters one or not at all, don't count clones ect.)
I'm not predicting 8 characters for the sake of 8 characters. I think Wolf will be added at the end of the development. So they would have had 7 characters then.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Why do I need to play to truly judge it? It just doesn't look anything interesting. And it's just an opinion

And the Best Game ever does exist, it's just that fans are too stupid to see it

I DARE SOMEONE TO SAY TETRIS ISN'T THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE

I never said you HAD to play it or had to like it. What I am saying is you cant pass judgement on what it does/doesn't beat because you haven't actually experienced it yourself.

And that is EXACTLY why polls like this don't work. Opinion. You're not wrong for thinking the way you do! I don't think its fair to place one game above another if you haven't played both of them, but you could probably play it and you'd STILL think it was ugly and boring. I would wholeheartedly disagree because I think the game is absolutely amazing, but neither of us is right or wrong for thinking the way we do. We have different tastes. Hence why there truely can never be a "best game ever". There can be "favorites" of all time based on each person, and there can be games that had a big impact on either the player themselves or gaming as a whole, and historically significant games, but none of them could ever truely be the best. The only way that would be possible is if the world was hive-minded into all thinking the same way.

...Oh, and Tetris is not the greatest game ever made. YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO. :V

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Pokemon RBY (I kept reading this as Ruby until I realised it was Red/Blue/Yellow) were revolutionary for their time, just because the newer Pokemon games have generally improved with every iteration, the originals were still incredible and way ahead of their time. I would rather sit down now and play a modern Pokemon game, but there's no denying that the most pure pleasure I ever got out of any of the Pokemon games upon their releases belongs to RBY. In my opinion that still makes them great.

As for fad culture, it's already been plaguing Smash speculation since it re-emerged (and prior to that). It's probably been worse than ever before because of the fighter ballot (and every indie company was trying to get people to vote for their stuff). It'll always be around, and there's really nothing we can do about that.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Im mixed when it comes to the remaining characters. We can expect at least 2 more characters besides Cloud....however, that would make the CSS uneven unless we get a 3rd character.

Eitherway I'm expecting 2-3 of the following characters. Two is guaranteed imo.

Wolf
Inklings
Shovel Knight
Banjo

My gut tells me Inklings and SK, but Im hoping Wolf and Banjo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Im mixed when it comes to the remaining characters. We can expect at least 2 more characters besides Cloud....however, that would make the CSS uneven unless we get a 3rd character.

Eitherway I'm expecting 2-3 of the following characters. Two is guaranteed imo.

Wolf
Inklings
Shovel Knight
Banjo

My gut tells me Inklings and SK, but Im hoping Wolf and Banjo.
Me too!
That's literally all I can say.

Well, also that I think Wolf will be the last character added.
Again. I said that already.

I'm tired.

Strofirko

Smash Master
At this point that best game ever poll is lost,it will be Zelda or FFVII again,if undertale somehow wins,it will be just for the jiggles.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm saying it right now

The best game is Mario 3

It's not going to win

But it is

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
PushDustIn PushDustIn

I just wanted to say something about localisation, when it comes to some localisation attempts, some companies are downright lazy. Remember there used to be a time when companies would just take the American localisation and use it for the UK, even though the UK is very different culturally to America.

I also think the samething might have happened with games released in other countries that speak a type off English, like Australia and New Zealand, but don't quote me on that, maybe some Australian and New Zealanders users can tell me if this is true or not?

Although the sad thing is, sometimes we still just get the American localisation, instead of a localised version for the country we live in. It's one of the reasons I was worried about Xenoblade X having a mixture of American and British voice actors, I didn't want to just be stuck with the treehouse's translation of X, cause it wouldn't have been localised properly for the UK.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, they talked funny in the last Xenoblade

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually really enjoy the original Xenoblade's localisation. As someone who lived with a bunch of Brits for a while, the accents are very accurate. I legitimately know people who talk like Reyn.

It's not just the fact that "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" is funny and all that. In the cutscenes, the actors display tremendous emotion.

It's nice to have something like this every now and then. Generic anime dub American voices with Troy Baker and Laura Bailey thrown in somewhere gets repetitive and stale after a while. Xenoblade's localisation is really fresh though. I honestly want NoE to localise more games, dubbing and all.

I know I won't enjoy XCX's characters and story as much since it is primarily localised by NoA.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I mean I can see it, but this feels like it's too convenient since it's easy for someone to raise a ruckus using Konami right now.
Exactly this.

"Let's find a scapegoat." Konami will work, as everyone automatically hates them.

Will need to see proof and the person's connection to the PM team to even consider this as a legit rumor.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Yeah, it does seem plausible but it wouldn't be that hard to use Konami in it.

I would still be surprised if this turns out to be true, though. It's saddening how fast the team broke up, and we never did get Isaac/Lyn/Knuckles/Sami.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
PFFFFFFT
Nintendo done goofed with the Badge Center
When having the Dr. Mario shrug badge at semifinal zoom out, his sprite is in 1:1 ratio EXCEPT for the Bottom Right portion (Moustache downwards) because they scrunched that badge segment up (Shrinked it, basically) a bit and left everything else alone
So Doc just has this really blurry portion that looks like a failure from Paint.NET in the badge
And it's even apparent when you zoom in because his nose is off

MR. BUNNY
EXPLAIN THIS :4drmario:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As someone from England, the Xenoblade VAs were awesome. Reyn even sounds almost exactly like a guy I used to know a few years back.

Part of the appeal of the characters was the non generic American voices that plague so many similar games.

Chrono.

The Yokai Watch Just Dance spinoff bombed in Japan

Just 7,060 sales. It only had 10 songs while the game was full price, its easy to see why it failed.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
As someone from England, the Xenoblade VAs were awesome. Reyn even sounds almost exactly like a guy I used to know a few years back.

Part of the appeal of the characters was the non generic American voices that plague so many similar games.
As an American, I really liked the English cast too.

There are a lot of US game voice actors that I'm a huge fan of. Matt Mercer, Travis Willngham, Bryce Papenbrook, Laura Bailey, Stephanie Sheh, Crispin Freeman, and Todd Haberkorn just to name a few.

But sometimes you want to hear something different. Hearing different dialects was refreshing by itself, but Xenoblade's dub actors were all really good, and had pretty varied backgrounds too. Some did games, but some primarily did TV/live action work and even some theater work. I liked what they brought to the table.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Are we talking first week or first day sales?
It's bad either way, but I'd like to just how hard this game bombed.
Probably first week, as those figures are usually reported.

And wow, charging full price for 10 songs? I mean, yeah, Yokai Watch is popular, but they're getting ahead of themselves.

:231:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Exactly this.

"Let's find a scapegoat." Konami will work, as everyone automatically hates them.

Will need to see proof and the person's connection to the PM team to even consider this as a legit rumor.
I do agree we need some more proof from this. Like I said, I just found it in the PM 3.16 Leak thread :p. I don't really know the credibility of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom