• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strofirko

Smash Master
That moment when nintendo uploads a 6 month old video,from a game everybody forgot it's existence.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just called it "the Mario Maker update" because that was the same update that released the Mario Maker stage, lol.

Last edited:

Chrono.

D

Deleted member

They can still get more stretch goals. The donation page will stay open for a few months.

It's called "InDemand." It's dumb but I really want those voiceovers so i'll take it

Disco Room is a premium only forum.
AKA you can't view it. :p
I will however give the pic
they deleted the other one so you have to go through them to get it if you want it :p
What is up with the few EO fans worshipping loli waifus instead of Trap Troubadour
And the good females get put aside for the bad versions
Kimono Ronin>>>>Shirtless Ronin
Shisho and Medigirl are okay tho

>Premium only
Why is there such a thing? What is the point of it? So you can feel special and privileged? People fought for the end of this years ago and Smashboards comes with **** like this
Nelson Mandela didn't die for this

Strofirko

Smash Master
I am focusing on an overdose of medieval fantasy games this christmas 4 me,so I am getting the First Dark Souls,Elder Scrolls V and The Witcher 3 as my challenges on steam,will be basically my first voyage on all the 3 series.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speaking of fanservice, Fire Emblem Fates has been confirmed to get a T rating.

Also, it looks like we got a couple VA confirmations over the past few months:

D.C. Douglas apparently will play Gunther and Llewellyn,[/spoilers]
Oo, Gunter got a great voice actor. But who is Llewellyn? We haven't seen all the English names yet, so I wonder which character is Llewellyn, considering there's no character with a name even close to that.
The fans will have a field-day if it's Zero.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Oo, Gunter got a great voice actor. But who is Llewellyn? We haven't seen all the English names yet, so I wonder which character is Llewellyn, considering there's no character with a name even close to that.
Iirc, Llewellyn is Welsh for Leo or Lewis.

So yeah, this guys name:
...is Llewellyn from Leo now :p

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh hey! Trauma Team is now on the North American Eshop!

I've heard great things about it.

Anyone played it?
I've played that exact game on Wii, it's great

@Godzillathewonderdog what kind of error message are you getting, and did you look into what I PMed you?

And thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I will be heading to urgent care very shortly to get an X-Ray. Hopefully it's nothing too serious...

Ivander

Smash Legend
Iirc, Llewellyn is Welsh for Leo or Lewis.

So yeah, this guys name:

...is Llewellyn from Leo now :p
I think Leon was already confirmed to have changed to Leo, like Marx to Xander(even though they could've easily went with Max(imilian) or Maxi(milian).)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've played that exact game on Wii, it's great

@Godzillathewonderdog what kind of error message are you getting, and did you look into what I PMed you?

And thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I will be heading to urgent care very shortly to get an X-Ray. Hopefully it's nothing too serious...
Think about comfy things like Woolly Yoshis and it will make things easier!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've finally decided what to get my twin bro for Christmas: A reproduction cartridge of Star Fox 2 for SNES.

It just adds up in many ways: He loves the Star Fox series, collects NES & SNES games, owns Star Fox 1, he's looking forward to Star Fox Zero (both have dem chicken walkers), and Star Fox Zero actually releases on our birthday in 2016.

Now to find a trustable site to buy one from for a good price.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Am I only the one who finds Undyne's death to be the saddest of all. She just melts when you finally kill her, you want to give her the justice and let her win. The music makes it sadder.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Am I only the one who finds Undyne's death to be the saddest of all. She just melts when you finally kill her, you want to give her the justice and let her win. The music makes it sadder.
I wasn't a fan of undyne

it's generally considered (and probably canon) that Undyne is the hero at this point.
Undyne's theme for the battle, Battle Against a True Hero, makes it obvious.

You play as a heartless murderer. She is a warrior trying to fight a battle she cant win but i so determined to stop you she defies death and keeps fighting and probably kicks your ass a few times. Feeling bad for the hero dying is natural

Of course her Neutral death is a lot more sad >_>
It's also a reason she is my favorite character. Plus my favorite fight and my favorite theme

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so earlier someone said scorpion would be butchered if he wasnt all gorey and the like....didnt stop him from being in injustice

like this seems serviceable for smash....and if you still think thats a bit much...i can allways show off mkVSdc

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
*Playing Pokemon Super Mystery dungeon
*Doing post game stuff, today's adventure? Let's visit dragon gate it has 23 floors!
Floor 14: It's a monster house! Me: Son of a.... 6 Reviver Seeds later Phew we got through that, let's move on and hopefully make it to Rayquazza
Floor 20: Reaches Stairs, It seems someone is ahead, rescue is not available on the next floor, proceed?
Me: Weird I thought this was 23 floors not 21. Oh well let's save and move on.
Alright let's see what rayquazza has up it's sleeve.

Cutscene plays, Dialga falls in from the sky!
Me: Oh **** I wasn't expecting that!
Dialga's kick *** theme from Explorers Of Time and Darkness plays!

Few turns later, everyone of my team members are dead.... Well let's try this again!

so earlier someone said scorpion would be butchered if he wasnt all gorey and the like....didnt stop him from being in injustice

like this seems serviceable for smash....and if you still think thats a bit much...i can allways show off mkVSdc
"Your soul will burn"
*Superman flies in from the fortress*
If superman wasn't there. . .who the **** was Scorpion talking to?

Chrono.

Injustice is still all around very gritty.

Scorpion, despite not chopping limbs or ripping people's hearts out this time, meshes very well with it because of that. Meanwhile Smash is like the polar opposite of gritty.

Granted, we had Snake, so obviously that wouldn't keep him out. Japan's apathy towards MK would.

Also linking because why not.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

I believe I'm the person in question.

While Injustice kind of shows it could works, I'm pretty sure the toned down finishers in Vs DC Universe left a bad taste in the Mortal Kombat community's mouths.

Extreme violence is what put Mortal Kombat on the map and people would expect such thing if Mortal Kombat ever graced into Smash.

I not against the idea, it just wouldn't make much sense if the violence is toned down to family friendly (and you really can't compare :snake: to this).

wildvine47

Smash Ace
As a avid MK fan since my birth into this world, I will sincerely say you don't want a butchered Scorpion in this game

I repeat. You don't want a butchered Scorpion in this game.

Mortal Kombat is a series where it's violence has been up the anti for years and having a character from a franchise that has bad popularity in Japan (Seriously, it's a very hated franchise there that has very bad sales and recognition.
Don't try to make loopholes, theories or even excuses that it can happen. Joking about it is one thing but this series is not just a violent series but a hyper violent M-Rated series to be considerably nerfed and butchered to fit into a E10+ game. It's why Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat will never work because their styles, feel and just overall won't fit together because they look jarring. Killer Instinct is a better choice because it's style is that of similar to it.

It's like fusing Kirby with Dark Souls, IT DOESN'T WORK.

-Signed, a fan who's played MK vs DC Universe
Really? I explained a lot of the issues Scorpion would have earlier and why none of them would keep him from getting in. I've played MK's since MK3, so I'm not talking out my ass here either. Pretty much all of his classic moves and even the variations from MKX, would work perfectly fine if you remove the aesthetic blood effect to transplant him into Smash without being "butchered".

Going off of these two videos for demonstration purposes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Ot3_szzlM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_0cOhWLX0

Most of Scorpion's normals and combos, both with sword and fist work fine. Remove the honestly not-too-noticeable-in-motion-amongst-the-fire blood splatter effect from them and there's nothing in his basic moves that would make him feel out of place or more "mature" in Smash. A bunch of punches and kicks and fancy sword maneuvers, most with fire effects.

His iconic special moves for the most part don't have anything too out there either.

The chain kunai is no worse than the hookshot Toon Link has. Throw it at someone, pull them in. It could work either as a throw, or as my personal choice, a standard special move that pulls people towards you so you can follow up with other attacks. No blood needed, still workable.

Teleport, Fireball, Takeout, Doom Slice, Doom Blade, Flame Aura and even his grab (yes his grab, a lot of sword wielders have pretty comparable grabs if bloodless) would be fine, again, minus the minimal blood spatter.

I'll give you the hell minions. Those are probably a step too far for Smash, but those are definitely not iconic for Scorpion, and can easily be left out. The move Hellfire itself, while decently recognizable, might get in some hot water for the word hell considering the censored DK Rap, but Scorpion's got more than enough moves to cover the gap left by it. Or they could call it something different.

X-Ray is absolutely out. No question. That's one part of Scorpion's set that would absolutely have to go.

For Fatalities however, Scorpion has the benefit of having his most iconic Fatality also being the easiest to tone down believably, whilst also keeping it intact as a Final Smash. Good old iconic Toasty. Go the classic route of keeping Scorpion's head just the skull without the muscle tissue (which would be 100% ok considering the Stalfos in Smash Run), make the spout of fire bigger, in fitting with a Final Smash, and instead of turning them into skeletons, just have it send them flying, either with the initial burst, or at the end. They don't even have to use the word Fatality, as Toasty had it's own classic soundbite that would work just as well as a classic callback.

Scorpion could more than easily work in Smash with minimal toning down. In fact, I'd say overall he'd be more in character and less toned down than Snake was with the removal of his guns. Four moves (the two demon minions moves, hellfire, and his x-ray) out of his entire MKX moveset would be out of the running, and his most iconic Fatality is the most workable. He's more than doable for Smash while still keeping him intact. All it'd take is minor blood splatter removal, something many of his appearances both in and outside of his own series have done.

Again, all I see holding him back in the future is Mortal Kombat's popularity in Japan. Which I'd like a citation on for being a "hated franchise", if you don't mind.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People play Mortal Kombat for gratuitous violence and find Scorpion cool for the fact he is violent.

His demographic would likely have very little interest in Smash. And Ryu already covers the iconic fighting game character rep.

I mostly think Scorpion is like Ridley. His fans will say "HE COULD TOTALLY WORK" but Sakurai doesn't feel like he could do him justice.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I think ima stick with the official Smash games for a while exclusively. Like I kinda wanted something like PM for Smash 4 but, all of this drama and such and legal fear and hush-hush behind the scenes kinda takes the fun out of these kind of mods for me. I guess it's to be expected as they are mods of pre-existing games, but with all of what happened these past few days I kinda feel it's better to just focus on the main games, even if they aren't as customizable.

Least it was fun awhile it lasted.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, I think ima stick with the official Smash games for a while exclusively. Like I kinda wanted something like PM for Smash 4 but, all of this drama and such and legal fear and hush-hush behind the scenes kinda takes the fun out of these kind of mods for me. I guess it's to be expected as they are mods of pre-existing games, but with all of what happened these past few days I kinda feel it's better to just focus on the main games, even if they aren't as customizable.

Least it was fun awhile it lasted.
Super Smash Flash 2 is not really having any drama so I recommend trying it if you want a cool fan made Smash game.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
People play Mortal Kombat for gratuitous violence and find Scorpion cool for the fact he is violent.

His demographic would likely have very little interest in Smash. And Ryu already covers the iconic fighting game character rep.

I mostly think Scorpion is like Ridley. His fans will say "HE COULD TOTALLY WORK" but Sakurai doesn't feel like he could do him justice.
Eh I see Scorpion as iconic enough on his own right to eventually make it. Definitely not DLC for this game, but maybe by the time Smash 5 rolls around I could see him making his entrance.

I mean the phrase "Get over here" is iconic as all get out and the amount of shoutouts to it from all across gaming are innumerable. Scorpion is absolutely one of the biggest, most recognizable gaming icons that has yet to enter Smash, fighting game or not.

I do see the Sakurai Factor (TM) being a sticking point though in the end. He's definitely one for miniscule details, and removing Scorpion's blood spatter might be too much for him. No way to know for sure though unless Sakurai comments on him some day.

What if only scorpion bleeds?
Blood of any kind would be a biiiiig no-no in Smash. It's either no blood or no Scorpion. And I know which side I'm on.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just bought woolly world

I hope it's good

I'll review what I see when I get home

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Scorpion is iconic but the Nintendo crowd don't really know him well. And it's not like Cloud where he just was on a different platform. Cloud at least still appeals to the Nintendo demographic since he's an over the top super powered JRPG sword fighter, from a game that is RELATIVELY family friendly compared to MK. And it's not like Snake either since MGS has been known for having a silly side. Hell, MGS3 has a game mode that's made to be family friendly.

Scorpion on the other hand, flat out comes from a game that's literally made for people who have a gore fetish...OK that's exaggerating a bit but you get what I mean. He just doesn't fit at all next to characters like Pikachu or Yoshi who are supposed to be as innocent as can be.

And the reason MK crossing over with DC works is because DC isn't entirely meant for kids. They have a family friendly branch, but they also have a branch meant purely for adults, that has some pretty violent and disturbing imagery at times (so much so that I doubt it's OK to post). There's a version of Batman for kids and a version for adults. However, the same is not true with Nintendo or any of their mascots.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, I think theres' a line that western artwork won't cross.
As for the last one, it's almost definitely because

Chrom appears in the first DLC Xenologue.
Probably, though I should also say that he has favorited a couple tweets that connected him to a Fates character in specific, so he could be up for a role in the main game rather then just the DLC.

No one is sure, the best guesses right now (ignoring NPCs/minor bosses) are Ashura and Zero since they'd fit his voice range.

And yes they would.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Scorpion is iconic but the Nintendo crowd don't really know him well. And it's not like Cloud where he just was on a different platform. Cloud at least still appeals to the Nintendo demographic since he's an over the top super powered JRPG sword fighter, from a game that is RELATIVELY family friendly compared to MK. And it's not like Snake either since MGS has been known for having a silly side. Hell, MGS3 has a game mode that's made to be family friendly.

Scorpion on the other hand, flat out comes from a game that's literally made for people who have a gore fetish...OK that's exaggerating a bit but you get what I mean. He just doesn't fit at all next to characters like Pikachu or Yoshi who are supposed to be as innocent as can be.

And the reason MK crossing over with DC works is because DC isn't entirely meant for kids. They have a family friendly branch, but they also have a branch meant purely for adults, that has some pretty violent and disturbing imagery at times (so much so that I doubt it's OK to post). There's a version of Batman for kids and a version for adults. However, the same is not true with Nintendo or any of their mascots.
Well, MK has been on Nintendo systems

...why is scorpion seriously being discussed?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
*Playing Pokemon Super Mystery dungeon
*Doing post game stuff, today's adventure? Let's visit dragon gate it has 23 floors!
Floor 14: It's a monster house! Me: Son of a.... 6 Reviver Seeds later Phew we got through that, let's move on and hopefully make it to Rayquazza
Floor 20: Reaches Stairs, It seems someone is ahead, rescue is not available on the next floor, proceed?
Me: Weird I thought this was 23 floors not 21. Oh well let's save and move on.
Alright let's see what rayquazza has up it's sleeve.

Cutscene plays, Dialga falls in from the sky!
Me: Oh **** I wasn't expecting that!
Dialga's kick *** theme from Explorers Of Time and Darkness plays!

Few turns later, everyone of my team members are dead.... Well let's try this again!
The situation just got worse, I beat Diagla and then Palkia showed up!
I'm basically screwed here...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tonight...

I shall try to beat Oracle of Seasons...

I'm on the final dungeon.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
The situation just got worse, I beat Diagla and then Palkia showed up!
I'm basically screwed here...
You're having a Red/Blue Rescue Team scenario
You gotta go through 3+ Dungeons back-to-back-to-back, fighting Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno one at a time in said dungeons, you're not allowed to go back at stock up on items because you got kicked out and are a wanted outcast and you lose every item you have on a single death.
Not to mention said part of the game comes completely out of nowhere with literally 0 time to prepare for this unless you know it's going to come up, and even then it's immediately after you finish ANOTHER Dungeon and you got no time to sleep which means your HP is still as low as when you finished said dungeon when you enter the first Outcast Dungeon.
Bad time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom