• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
At least Gilbert Gottfried would be funny. Cumberbatch is just insufferable in general.

Now that I think about it Gilbert Gottfried wouldn't even be a bad Ridley lmfaoo
I always thought British Ridley would be great! :p

Crap I want to link Golden's. . .errr Robotnik's Gilbert as Ridley video but there are so many swears and I haven't seen Anna's question answered about it

Just look up "gilbert gottfried ridley" and watch Golden's video. Funny AF

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I just went back to my Wii U Library to play a little bit of Zombie U, The first game I got with the system
The last time I played it was back in 2013.
It feels like only yesterday I got my Wii U the Christmas after it's launch and to think it's life-cycle is nearing it's end :c
Still it's been a great system to own and one of the best consoles I have owned.
And there are still more games to come :b:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As a avid MK fan since my birth into this world, I will sincerely say you don't want a butchered Scorpion in this game

I repeat. You don't want a butchered Scorpion in this game.

Mortal Kombat is a series where it's violence has been up the anti for years and having a character from a franchise that has bad popularity in Japan (Seriously, it's a very hated franchise there that has very bad sales and recognition.
Don't try to make loopholes, theories or even excuses that it can happen. Joking about it is one thing but this series is not just a violent series but a hyper violent M-Rated series to be considerably nerfed and butchered to fit into a E10+ game. It's why Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat will never work because their styles, feel and just overall won't fit together because they look jarring. Killer Instinct is a better choice because it's style is that of similar to it.

It's like fusing Kirby with Dark Souls, IT DOESN'T WORK.

-Signed, a fan who's played MK vs DC Universe

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As a avid MK fan since my birth into this world, I will sincerely say you don't want a butchered Scorpion in this game

Mortal Kombat is a series where it's violence has been up the anti for years and having a character from a franchise that has bad popularity in Japan (Seriously, it's a very hated franchise there that has very bad sales and recognition.
Don't try to make loopholes, theories or even excuses that it can happen. Joking about it is one thing but this series is not just a violent series but a hyper violent M-Rated series to be considerably nerfed and butchered to fit into a E10+ game. It's why Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat will never work because their styles, feel and just overall won't fit together because they look jarring. Killer Instinct is a better choice because it's style is that of similar to it.

A dark souls kirby... hmmmmm.... make it star meta knight and it could actually work.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Palutena is that one character that Smash Bros undoubtedly ruined my impression of. Not totally, but still.

>No more based Ali Hillis. New actress is alright but it's not the same, she's more squeaky.
>Dialogue in the guidances isn't that funny on her part, it's all Pit/Viridi/Dark Pit/Chrom.
>Half of her in-game quotes sound like sex noises, her facial expressions fare no better.
>Is specifically the only female character wearing a dress that doesn't have her legs covered, Peach/Rosalina/Zelda all got some form of censorship.
>Pole dance taunt (admittedly bad pole dancing but still).
>She isn't that fun to play unless you use customs and nobody wants to play customs anymore.

She was actually my most wanted Nintendo character after Rosalina but they just ruined her.

She's still OK but god damn it Sakurai we get it you want her to be the hentai waifu bait. You could have at least been subtle about it.

And it shows given how most of the community has received her.
What is this, the 50's?

Woman must have legs covered

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

>Implying Kirby isn't a Dark Soul

They did nothing wrong.

-------------

Geez, Snake's outfit is such a pain to draw.

What is this, the 50's?

Woman must have legs covered
Once again, someone didn't read my post properly.

I don't care that Palutena has her legs exposed on it's own.

It's that he specifically censors the other girls who wear dresses. Peach was never censored before Smash 4 either, so it really feels like he just wants us to focus on Palutena.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Palutena is that one character that Smash Bros undoubtedly ruined my impression of. Not totally, but still.

>No more based Ali Hillis. New actress is alright but it's not the same, she's more squeaky.
>Dialogue in the guidances isn't that funny on her part, it's all Pit/Viridi/Dark Pit/Chrom.
>Half of her in-game quotes sound like sex noises, her facial expressions fare no better.
>Is specifically the only female character wearing a dress that doesn't have her legs covered, Peach/Rosalina/Zelda all got some form of censorship.
>Pole dance taunt (admittedly bad pole dancing but still).
>She isn't that fun to play unless you use customs and nobody wants to play customs anymore.

She was actually my most wanted Nintendo character after Rosalina but they just ruined her.

She's still OK but god damn it Sakurai we get it you want her to be the hentai waifu bait. You could have at least been subtle about it.

And it shows given how most of the community has received her.
Palutena is one of my favorite characters in Uprising, but I have to agree with you. I still like Palutena just as much as I did before Smash, but the game definitely made some odd choices with her. The fan service is a little too much, and this is coming from someone who finds Palutena pretty attractive.

In terms of her moveset, the unique customs did more harm than good, but I still can have fun with her. I wish she was an exception to the "no custom moves online" rule.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Uh... I wouldn't say that...
This is photoshopped propaganda and is also but one specific Waddle Dee.
If anything, DeDeDe is the monster.
He send those poor Waddle Dees to their death and forces them to fight Kirby for his own selfish gain.

DeDeDe has ruined Dreamland more than he's helped because how lazy they are

#MetaKnightWasRight

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
This is photoshopped propaganda and is also but one specific Waddle Dee.
Dude... It was meant as a joke... Blood doesn't exist in Kirby. :p
Even then though he does kill off most of his brethren in Return to Dreamland, and when they're not doing anything, so he's worse then Kirby in that regard...
If anything, DeDeDe is the monster.
He send those poor Waddle Dees to their death and forces them to fight Kirby for his own selfish gain.

DeDeDe has ruined Dreamland more than he's helped because how lazy they are

#MetaKnightWasRight
I don't think that Dedede kills off members of his own species, now does he?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The main reason Palutena's default set is so awful is that it's completely focused on defense. Auto Reticle? Stand still/jump awkwardly through the air and shoot from a distance. Reflect? Does what it says on the tin. Counter? Just like any other counter, use it when you are about to get hit. Warp? Has no hitbox, is designed to get through enemies unharmed.

They're fine on their own but the fact that all of the defensive ones are grouped together as her default set is just asinine and unbalanced in a way that hurts Palutena's performance with default sets. And people complain Rosalina/Villager are overly defensive (in the case of the former that's definitely not true). The pattern is that you mostly only use these moves when the opponent makes mistakes.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The main reason Palutena's default set is so awful is that it's completely focused on defense. Auto Reticle? Stand still/jump awkwardly through the air and shoot from a distance. Reflect? Does what it says on the tin. Counter? Just like any other counter, use it when you are about to get hit. Warp? Has no hitbox, is designed to get through enemies unharmed.

They're fine on their own but the fact that all of the defensive ones are grouped together as her default set is just asinine and unbalanced in a way that hurts Palutena's performance with default sets. And people complain Rosalina/Villager are overly defensive (in the case of the former that's definitely not true). The pattern is that you mostly only use these moves when the opponent makes mistakes.
It's the not the specials that screw her up (Maybe that counter because it's a pretty awful move) it's her normals which makes her so bad. Everything is a giant lag fest on her moves and she doesn't have any awesome moves that uses her staff like for her back-air and her shield can be used for some crazy stuff.

Her best Normal is her Up-Smash because everything else sucks.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's the not the specials that screw her up (Maybe that counter because it's a pretty awful move) it's her normals which makes her so bad. Everything is a giant lag fest on her moves and she doesn't have any awesome moves that uses her staff like for her back-air and her shield can be used for some crazy stuff.

Of course, but the specials issue is just so jarring from a fundamental standpoint. I don't know what they were thinking making all of her defaults focused on the idea of countering and punishing opponents who make mistakes. Also Reflect is probably the worst...well, reflect move in the game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

It isn't so much that they're defensive as much as it is how generic they are.

A teleport
A counter
A reflector
A projectile

To be fair, Auto Reticle is kind of unique, but the rest of her defaults are just so bland...and the thing is, I know why Sakurai made it that way: He wanted to encourage people to customize her.

That's how it is in a lot of games with customization features. You typically start off with a weak or generic weapon or equipment before you start unlocking better gear and swapping out your default items for the good stuff. In Team Fortress 2 before you get all the zany swords and bows and laser weapons you start off with generic, ordinary weapons. That was most likely the intention with Palutena. They probably figured that if she already had moves like Super Speed and Lightweight people wouldn't of felt compelled to enter the custom fighters menu or something like that.

Her jab attack and aerials are pretty good, too.

With customs on I can tolerate the endlag on her grounded attacks because it makes a little more sense in terms of balance. I mean Palutena kind of becomes like Sonic in that she gains a ridiculous amount of mobility thanks to LW and SS but she can still at least be punished if she messes up, unlike Sonic.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It isn't so much that they're defensive as much as it is how generic they are.

A teleport
A counter
A reflector
A projectile

To be fair, Auto Reticle is kind of unique, but the rest of her defaults are just so bland...and the thing is, I know why Sakurai made it that way: He wanted to encourage people to customize her.

That's how it is in a lot of games with customization features. You typically start off with a weak or generic weapon or equipment before you start unlocking better gear and swapping out your default items for the good stuff. In Team Fortress 2 before you get all the zany swords and bows and laser weapons you start off with generic, ordinary weapons. That was most likely the intention with Palutena. They probably figured that if she already had moves like Super Speed and Lightweight people wouldn't of felt compelled to enter the custom fighters menu or something like that.
The problem is that Palutena doesn't need to unlock her customs. Like most people say, she really should have been exempt from the no customs rule in With Anyone. It's her main gimmick and you can't even make use of it.

Soul.

Maybe if her customs were available even when you turned them off like Miis people would be more open to her having customs.

But she can't.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Palutena can be quite fun with customs, but her default set of moves are so bland.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
15 gigabytes of enhancement files.

Waited 2 hours for all this, with another hour left on the install.

This is going to be sooooooo delicious.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Palutena discussions? Cool.

I remember back during the time between when I joined this forum in October 2013 and her reveal at E3 2014 when she was highly requested on SmashBoards to the point where she was grouped along with Ridley, K. Rool and Little Mac as one of SmashBoards's Elite 4, so to speak. Those were some pretty fond forum memories. There was a lot of love for the idea of Palutena being in Smash, particularly as the success of Uprising help give her many new fans due to her brand of humour.

Now out of those four? Little Mac and Palutena are in and Ridley has been officially ruled out by Sakurai so he won't be happening as DLC, so that only leaves the Kremling King. It will be interesting to see whether or not he makes it in as a DLC playable character or not.

As for her pole dance taunt? Let's just say that when @vaanrose first leaked it, I absolutely could not believe it for a moment and I thought he was just screweing with us at first. I mean, pole-dancing in Smash Bros? That sounded ridiculous to me at the time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Maybe if her customs were available even when you turned them off like Miis people would be more open to her having customs.

But she can't.
A lot of things regarding customs (including Miis) just hardly make any sense. Why make them so hard to unlock? Why do some low tiers like Ganondorf actually benefit from them while others like Jigglypuff and Zelda get jack squat? Why is Timber Counter a thing? Why would they go out of their way to make three different movesets for Miis and then just completely blacklist from With Anyone? Why are Miis and custom specials in general excluded from With Anyone and yet they’re included in Tourney Mode just fine? Why can Miis use their specials when customs are off while Palutena can’t?

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I honestly don't see the problem people have with day 1 updates.

Yeah, it makes you have to wait a bit longer to play, but it's usually just fixing some leftover things that slipped through the cracks when the disk/content was finalized. These things happen, and they usually have quite a bit of time before the game actually comes out. I don't mind waiting a little bit longer to ensure the game is in the best shape possible.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't even think the pole dance taunt is that lewd, technically. I mean, if you went to a strip club where the girls pole danced like Palutena does in Smash, I'd say you were ripped off.

It's just the intention is obvious and that makes it more cringey.

D

Deleted member

Wait, palutena has a pole dance taunt? What? Wow, shows how much I haven't played palutena....

To be fair, I do like her in uprising, she just doesn't interest me in smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Raddaru-no-Dee

Wait, palutena has a pole dance taunt? What? Wow, shows how much I haven't played palutena....

To be fair, I do like her in uprising, she just doesn't interest me in smash.

She actually has her hip on the staff (though her clothes clip through it), so like I said, it's a pretty lukewarm pole dance but the implication is there.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I find it odd that Palutena's defualt movest is defensive in a game like Smash. You'd think they'd change it up a bit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've only played DH with customs

Apparently he's really bad without them

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Indivisible's campaign will be finished in 9 hours.

It only managed the first stretch goal but at least we are getting the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom