• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Everyone forgets this game ever happened lol

Oh.... I remember.....

It actually wasn't half bad, if anything, it's biggest problem(something most people including myself had a problem with anyway.) were that the finishers were pretty lame.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Can someone put a Santa hat on one of the PXZ2 Fiora sprites? One with her smiling would do fine.

Also, I'm here to let you know that I've been having intense pains lately and may have to be hospitalized(though I hope it doesn't have to come to that) I may be away from SB for a while as a result. I will use the avatar when I come back. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
I hope you will get good soon.
Also, i should need too a Santa Hat Avatar. But i don't know what image to take for it. Maybe this one.
259px-NewRetroSuitSamusPM.png

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can someone put a Santa hat on one of the PXZ2 Fiora sprites? One with her smiling would do fine.

Also, I'm here to let you know that I've been having intense pains lately and may have to be hospitalized(though I hope it doesn't have to come to that) I may be away from SB for a while as a result. I will use the avatar when I come back. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Get better soon! We're all rooting for you!

Chrono.

Oh.... I remember.....

It actually wasn't half bad, if anything, it's biggest problem(something most people including myself had a problem with anyway.) were that the finishers were pretty lame.
Yeah it was decent.

Just... cheesy as hell.

Although I think NRS could do the crossover justice now, Injustice would mesh well with reboot MK.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Alright. Time for more ****ty inside information from my "source".

I'm the king of underwhelming info.

Again, Industry Analysis. No guarantee on whether info is coming from the inside, or if it's a prediction.

My buddy is saying that Nintendo, if they were thinking straight, would do the presentation next week. If they want any of these announcements to sell copies for the season, they need to get in before the "Christmas Deadzone". Which is apparently what the toy industry (also applies for movies and games) calls the time that you shouldn't release new products, as kids will be sure about their Christmas wish lists.

He also says Nintendo would want all the attention. So the most sense to him would be to announce the date this Tuesday, and have the presentation Next Thursday.

It could possibly go into the week after that. But my friend says that could start to lead over into the Star Wars release. And if Nintendo wanted the headlines for potentially doing something major, they would want to announce before that hype.
Heh... my spitball of a guess was the 10th, too. Glad to at least verify my business logic is making sense.

D

Deleted member

Yeah it was decent.

Just... cheesy as hell.

Although I think NRS could do the crossover justice now, Injustice would mesh well with reboot MK.
Yeah, agreed. I mean,

It wasn't even the lack if blood and gore that threw me off(Plenty of supers in injustice showed to me thst they could be just awesome even without that.), they were just pretty lame and cheesy.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Here's the rules that character needs to fulfill in order to be in Smash:
1. Sakurai wants him in.

And yes, if Sakurai thought Shrek had moveset potential, he would be in. You probably could have said the Nintendo-only rule existed back in 64 and Melee when the series was fresh, focused and more Nintendo controled, but as it became bigger and Sakurai was given more control more possibilities became real.

D

Deleted member

I love how almost everyone here has Christmas avatars and I'm just sitting here with no photoshop like: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know that feel. Though I can edit with gimp, I haven't had access to my computer in ages because of family drama.

So I've just been waiting for one of my friends to draw a christmas themed Ash crimson or something. LOL.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I love how almost everyone here has Christmas avatars and I'm just sitting here with no photoshop like: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Meanwhile my Icon is even worse and I probably won't change it due to how lazy I am
"\/( ಠ_ಠ)\/"

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Eh, the SNES and Genesis versions of Mortal Kombats 1-3 didn't have the blood or graphic fatalities, and SNES MK2 is the 6th best selling MK game period, with only MK Trilogy and the different versions of the two modern Mortal Kombats beating it.

Not to mention that Scorpion was DLC for Injustice, the Netherrealm-produced DC fighting game, in which there was minimal blood and no fatalities, and he was still THE most purchased DLC for that game, even moreso than the very heavily requested Martian Manhunter.

Removing the blood from all his basic attacks is easy, especially with the fire effect most of them have. The iconic rope dagger is no worse than the Links's hookshots. And honestly, the most iconic fatality for Scorpion, good old classic Toasty is the easiest to tone down into an ideal Final Smash. Instead of Scorpion's big burst of firebreath burning people into a skeleton, it just sends them flying. Still incorporates a fatality, but keeps it just as child-friendly as Bowser and Charizard's fire breath, just as a Final Smash. And they don't even have to say Fatality, as in later games Toasty had it's own unique soundbite.

And as for Capcom, last time Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat was mentioned, the Street Fighter creative director said "Ummm, it's so hard. But I have interest in it ;D" Nothing about refusing the idea of it happening.

I definitely think Scorpion's possible to do without the blood and gore, and there's definitely a precedent for it to happen. I think what'd hold him back more than anything is Mortal Kombat's notability in Japan. Hence why I'm asking @PushDustIn about it, because it's Japanese popularity will be a large part of what makes it more likely for Sakurai to consider it.
The Genesis version had blood, you just had to put in a code to enable it I think.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Remember that Sakurai even briefly considered James Bond of all characters for 64.

Yes it was a passing thought and yes, Goldeneye, but Bond is a movie character by origin.

The rules are broken folks. Anything is possible. Though I still sincerely doubt Sakurai would even consider the idea of a non gaming character these days.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Scorpion in Smash is a very strange thought.

Sure, the game carries gaming history since it caused the creation of the ESRB, but I'm still not sure...

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I don't think Scorpion is too out there as a choice, honestly. Blood is just a visual effect that can be removed, and his Fatality in particular can be reworked to not be as violent.

Having Scorpion with SFX and moves that reference MK2 to match Ryu with his SF2 inspiration would actually be a sight be behold.

However, if there's a 3rd party ninja I'd like to be added, it's this guy:
I desire a roster featuring Ryu, Roy, Roy, and Ryu.

(For real though, this is one of the more deserving picks out there and I'd back it 100%)

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Remember that Sakurai even briefly considered James Bond of all characters for 64.

Yes it was a passing thought and yes, Goldeneye, but Bond is a movie character by origin.

The rules are broken folks. Anything is possible. Though I still sincerely doubt Sakurai would even consider the idea of a non gaming character these days.
I think if the character is iconic enough IN games maybe they could be considered? But Bond is going to be a no-no. Also, pretty sure Snake is officially not going to happen now. I honestly doubt Sakurai would allow Snake to be in after how poorly Konami is treating Kojima. Although Kojima wants Snake to be in still.

Honestly, I wouldn't hate a Mortal Kombat character in Smash, but at the same time I know it's extremely unlikely given the nature of the game. Sakurai doesn't want to dumb down characters to get them in the game, and Scorpion would have to be dumbed down even more than Bayonetta would to be able to be in a "family game".

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Honestly, I wouldn't hate a Mortal Kombat character in Smash, but at the same time I know it's extremely unlikely given the nature of the game. Sakurai doesn't want to dumb down characters to get them in the game, and Scorpion would have to be dumbed down even more than Bayonetta would to be able to be in a "family game".
It's actually possible! After all, Injustice did it...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

My god, this parade thing is hilarious.
LOOK AT ALL OF THIS.
JUST SORTA
TAKE IT IN. :4pacman:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Of course it is, but it's a terrible design choice.
Them Japanese love some fanservice. You just gotta roll with it.

Granted, it's something that is becoming more and more prevalent in Japanese media. Not even Smash Bros. is free of it. :4palutena:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
So, coincidentally right after the meme was running rampant at the VGAs last night, I am pretty much done with initial commentary on my new video.

The Case for Melee HD.

It addressed the actual possibility of why it could be a thing. But it also makes it clear that it is, of course, a pipe dream. I think you all will really enjoy it.

@PushDustIn helped me get in contact with some of the Source Gaming guys for this and it's helped out the video immensely.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Palutena is that one character that Smash Bros undoubtedly ruined my impression of. Not totally, but still.

>No more based Ali Hillis. New actress is alright but it's not the same, she's more squeaky.
>Dialogue in the guidances isn't that funny on her part, it's all Pit/Viridi/Dark Pit/Chrom.
>Half of her in-game quotes sound like sex noises, her facial expressions fare no better.
>Is specifically the only female character wearing a dress that doesn't have her legs covered, Peach/Rosalina/Zelda all got some form of censorship.
>Pole dance taunt (admittedly bad pole dancing but still).
>She isn't that fun to play unless you use customs and nobody wants to play customs anymore.

She was actually my most wanted Nintendo character after Rosalina but they just ruined her.

She's still OK but god damn it Sakurai we get it you want her to be the hentai waifu bait. You could have at least been subtle about it.

And it shows given how most of the community has received her.

Last edited:
Palutena is that one character that Smash Bros undoubtedly ruined my impression of. Not totally, but still.

>No more based Ali Hillis. New actress is alright but it's not the same, she's more squeaky.
>Dialogue in the guidances isn't that funny on her part, it's all Pit/Viridi/Dark Pit/Chrom.
>Half of her in-game quotes sound like sex noises, her facial expressions fare no better.
>Is specifically the only female character wearing a dress that doesn't have her legs covered, Peach/Rosalina/Zelda all got some form of censorship.
>She isn't that fun to play unless you use customs and nobody wants to play customs anymore.

She was actually my most wanted Nintendo character after Rosalina but they just ruined her.

She's still OK but god damn it Sakurai we get it you want her to be the hentai waifu bait. You could have at least been subtle about it.

2nd most wanted after Little Mac
Yup.
Palutena was not handled well. Which is dissapointing from how much potential she had. If she had lightweight as her standard down b and super speed as side b she would be infinitely more interesting

instead we got another counter

Then she just acts so bored. . .
. . .What is this FROM?
Your nightmares

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
ChikoLad ChikoLad Playing the devil's advocate, the fact Ali Hillis didn't get to voice her in Smash isn't really Sakurai's fault.

She does have the same Japanese voice actress and Nintendo of America did try to get Ali back for the role.

But yeah, her sex appeal was played up for this game a lot more than it was in KIU. It's not quite different from the treatment the PXZ gives to the female characters, though it is more tame in comparison.

Then again, this kind of fanservice has almost become synonymous with Japanese media. Not even supposedly family friendly games such as Smash are free of it nowadays.

To be honest, I'm already used to it to the point of indifference and it's often tame. Though I still don't like the direction FE Fates took, as it's too in-your-face and too blatant, which is egregious considering the series had none of that before Awakening, which was actually tame and DLC exclusive.

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Splatoon is great. The gameplay is pretty easy to pick up while still having some depth to it, the music is top notch, and the game has a really unique feel to it.

The matches are short enough that you don't dwell on losses or wins too much afterward, which I like. As a newbie, I'm also glad there's no voice chat; I have a feeling people would be yelling at me for playing the game wrong, haha.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

I'll be honest, I don't think any of the characters in the Guidances are anywhere near as funny or charming as they were in Uprising.

I think a big part of why Uprising's script for the localization worked as well as it did was Mike Drucker. He's a comedian who's written stuff for things like The Onion and Jimmy Fallon. From my understanding he wasn't brought back for the Guidances which I think explains the difference in the quality between the actual writing in KIU and in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair, it's not just Japan that will be heavy on the fanservice. The West has its fair share of mindless fanservice as well. Look at some of the costumes in comic books.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
@Teh Epic Anna Also I forgot to mention that Sakamoto stated that if he were to revive the idea of a Metroid movie then he'd have the director of MOM's cutscenes be the director of the movie. Just thought I'd share that.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'll never get why that chick from God Eater even wears a shirt if it's just going to loosely dangle off her.
Some of the characters in X Zone actually do make fun of that. The convos Pair Units have with some of the Solos can be pretty funny and give a little reference to other characters and games, like I know Dante references God Hand if Lindow is with him and Demitri.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh and also, Palutena got a very noticeable bust increase and is also the only character in the game with visible cleavage, something she definitely didn't have in Uprising.

I won't go on about that one though since mods don't like that.

And yeah Ali Hillis not returning isn't Sakurai's fault, it's just one of the disappointing aspects of her portrayal in Smash, even though it couldn't be helped.

I'm also not so much bothered by the fan service so much as how desperate it comes across with Palutena in Smash. Like, there is tasteful fan service, there is excessive fan service, and then there is desperate fan service. It's literally like Sakurai just gave the other females a slightly fan-servicey screenshot or two on Miiverse.

Then the game comes out and everyone else is pretty modest (except maybe ZSS but that's just a carry over from Brawl), while it literally feels like Sakurai is shoving Palutena down my throat, saying "LOVE HER AND DRAW RISQUE ART OF HER PLS". It wouldn't come across as so desperate if ALL of the other females were just as blatant on the fan service attempts but they aren't, the fan service is subtle on all of the other females, and feels a bit more tasteful because of it. Palutena just sticks out like a sore thumb as a result, and especially compared to how she was in Uprising.

I'll be honest, I don't think any of the characters in the Guidances are anywhere near as funny or charming as they were in Uprising.

I think a big part of why Uprising's script for the localization worked as well as it did was Mike Drucker. He's a comedian who's written stuff for things like The Onion and Jimmy Fallon. From my understanding he wasn't brought back for the Guidances which I think explains the difference in the quality between the actual writing in KIU and in Smash 4.
It might interest you to know that the Japanese Guidances are different than the English ones, then.

The only one I really researched was Rosalina's, and I still haven't got all of the details, but it's more interesting than the English version. The English one might actually be a little more humourous but the Japanese one was more interesting to me overall.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
At least Gilbert Gottfried would be funny. Cumberbatch is just insufferable in general.

Now that I think about it Gilbert Gottfried wouldn't even be a bad Ridley lmfaoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom