• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not questioning most of your points from before, but I disagree with the first part and introducing him to kids. People will bring up how Ryu comes from a franchise that rarely has any appearances nowadays on Nintendo consoles, but use the counterpoint of Street Fighter 2, due to him taking the most inspiration from it. If we were to use the same logic, Scorpion should be in the same boat due to Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 being among the best selling games for the console (From what I was able to find). And if Snake was added in the game before, then I don't think it really matters that Nintendo could potentially introduce mature franchises to kids (Who were already a big demographic for the series, even with the T rating). The two are on different levels in content, greatly, but it doesn't matter anyway.

Scorpion would be judged on his merits, which are pretty big. However, considering how you need to tone down Scorpion anyway, Sakurai might see that as an injustice to the character. That's the main argument for him anyway that I can see. Some may see it as not a problem, but others and possibly even Sakurai do.

...Never thought I would argue for Scorpion in Smash Bros. My, have times changed...
You are misunderstanding my point. Mortal Kombat has a history on Nintendo, but was never remotely geared towards kids. It's why it caused the ESRB to become a thing.

Ryu and Snake and Cloud also have some Nintendo history but they also still work well on a family friendly game like Smash. Street Fighter is family friendly and pretty comical, it fits into Smash just fine. Metal Gear might have violence in it but the games do make an effort to leave family friendly options like turning blood off or even avoiding killing enemies (something you are rewarded for). Also any violent cutscenes are there to instill an emotion, like feeling sympathy for the victim or anger towards the attacker. And FFVII has the occasional violent moment but they are minor and FFVII has mascot characters in it like Moogles anyway. Cloud also features in Disney games and interacts with Donald Duck.

Mortal Kombat however, is a game where the MAIN SELLING POINT is the ability to absolutely destroy people. Rip someone's spine out or cut a woman in half and watch her breasts jiggle as her split body falls to the ground. And you are supposed find joy in it and find it funny and invigorating. The fact that I will probably get a warning for this very paragraph, despite it being necessary to describe the CORE concept of Mortal Kombat, should be evidence enough that Mortal Kombat is SERIOUSLY outside of Nintendo's current core audience, being kids and families, and Smash directly appeals to that audience.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Since you want to talk about Scorpion so much, I've got a question...

When did Scorpion become the defacto Mortal Kombat rep? I spoke of this on the last Source Gaming Podcast (which isn't actually going to be released for while yet) but Liu Kang was the original Mortal Kombat protagonist.

On top of that, Sub-Zero has always been the bigger ninja character. I know this has changed a bit with the reboot, but why?

Sub-Zero had his own game:

Scorpion didn't.

Sub-Zero was playable in first version of Mortal Kombat 3

Scorpion wasn't

Sub-Zero has had multiple "homage" or variation characters such as:

Frost

and

Cyber Sub-Zero

..Scorpion really hasn't.

So, why is everyone pushing Scorp as the "Ryu" of the franchise all of a sudden?
Mostly because he's the franchise mascot.

He's the one who does the crossovers like in Injustice, he's the one on all the covers of the games and the advertisements, he's the creator's favorite character, he's the one who wins in the trailers.

He's even the one on his company's logo. He IS Mr. Mortal Kombat, no doubt about it.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Boon considers Scorpion to be the face of the franchise, not to mention he's the mascot of NRS.
I guess it started with Deadly Alliance, but it's almost silly as he has almost nothing to do with the story. It might be an Ed Boon thing, since it only seemed to happen after Tobias and the other Midway guys left in 2000.

You have a quote where Boon says that?

Chrono.

"Sub-Zero had his own game"

"So did Jax"

Man do I love that "deleted MKX intros" video

*This isn't a jab at Spazzy's post, just something I found amusing lol

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Just spitballing here, but in light of the whole Melee HD talk (and having just played through a bit of the Subspace Emissary again), just about the pipe-dreamiest thing Nintendo could announce at the December broadcast in my book would be Gamecube-controller-compatible Wii U VC re-releases of the the first three Smash games. Even if nothing changed at all, it'd be glorious to have all three of the first games and Sm4sh in one place, and to have an excuse to go through all the great single-player stuff again. Of course there's a multitude of reasons why this would be a tremendously stupid idea (cannibalizing DLC sales much?), but I can dream. I might as well go wishing for a Subspace Emissary / Smash Run fusion to be announced, though.

Man, in any case, I'm getting tired of having no concrete expectations at all about the upcoming announcement, short of a presumably minimal number of characters / stages to expect. The sooner I get off this crazy hype train, the better.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
"R U OKEH? BLAST TEH ROOF!!!" is what I always thought I heard during his desperation move, buster wolf. :p

Oh, and if Terry's in... That almost gurantees that Geese's theme would be in...
"GIT SERIAS! RIE-SING TAICOO! OHKAE!"
I love me some Engrish Terry

D

Deleted member

"GIT SERIAS! RIE-SING TAICOO! OHKAE!"
I love me some Engrish Terry
Pffft,
obviously you don't know of the engrish master himself, the ultimate weeb, if you will. ;)

Edit:Also, curses, I can't wait to not mobile post for once, it's making me typo to the left and right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"Sub-Zero had his own game"

"So did Jax"

Man do I love that "deleted MKX intros" video

*This isn't a jab at Spazzy's post, just something I found amusing lol
So did Liu Kang and Kung Lao...but Scorpion hasn't. It's just funny since he's kind of unimportant in the actual context of the series.

I'm not saying that he's not the most likely MK character to be seen in a cross over, I just don't feel like he is as central to Mortal Kombat as Ryu is to Street Fighter. I really don't feel like any character in that series is really "Mr. Mortal Kombat," there are just a handful of characters who embody different aspects of the franchise.

(Scorpion was always my favorite MK ninja, so no knock on him. Sub-Zero was certainly the more popular of the two in the original arcade games, though.)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The download for the dlc updates seems to be almost done.

Man, that was a really long time. But hopefully the load times are improved.

Chrono.

I guess it started with Deadly Alliance, but it's almost silly as he has almost nothing to do with the story. It might be an Ed Boon thing, since it only seemed to happen after Tobias and the other Midway guys left in 2000.

You have a quote where Boon says that?
Nvm that part, I mixed things up

I don't think he's ever said he's the face of franchise, just that it's his favorite character. (the NRS part is still true though, I mean he's in the logo)

Never actually did realize Scorpion's never had a game...

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Mortal Kombat in Smash

That's more ew than Street Fighter in Smash. Which pre-April was very ew.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Help spread awareness pls, this needs a patch pronto.

Chrono.

Fun fact: In KOF12 everyone got an English dub

Everyone except Terry that is, whose Engrish was kept in all it's glory.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
well guess who got the collector's and limited edition game and guide?

also, i approve of the thread's title.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Kind glad I don't own X just now.
Got a huge Workload I need to get done and if I had the game there would probably be no hope of the work getting done.
Mind you I am so excited to finally get my hands on the game.
Then I can roam the vast world.
Which Is something I rather enjoy doing in these type of games that have huge worlds.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Okay, tweeted to Chugga as well. Hopefully it gets patched within a few days. Thanks for the support guys. :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
PushDustIn PushDustIn

Is Palutena's character in Japan much different than her character in America?

Because it almost seems like a different character altogether outside of her voice lines.

Her lines still have that peppiness and sarcasm that we all love from her but her body language isn't anywhere close to that.

I'm wondering if she was supposed to be a more serious Ojou-sama instead of the light hearted goddess we love.
I asked @Masked Man (仮面の男) to do a write up before, so it's something we will publish someday. We need to catch up on some projects first! Super busy ;_;

As for MK in Japan...it's not popular here. Haven't seen much discussion on it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
http://strawpoll.me/6180216

If Smash had a 2nd fighting game character playable, who would you like?

*Not for DLC just in general
I chose Nightmare, cause Soul Calibur is heavily underrated compared to it's bigger sibling Tekken and Nightmare is awesome. Too bad Namco screwed over the SCV developers in favor of SF X Tekken.

And no Guilty Gear? For shame! And yes, Guilty Gear has been on a Nintendo system.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

False alarm apparently, thank you good ol' Chugga!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

False alarm apparently, thank you good ol' Chugga!
Not surprised... I've done that more than my fair share of times in the original. So many damn collectables...

Chrono.

I chose Nightmare, cause Soul Calibur is heavily underrated compared to it's bigger sibling Tekken and Nightmare is awesome. Too bad Namco screwed over the SCV developers in favor of SF X Tekken.

And no Guilty Gear? For shame! And yes, Guilty Gear has been on a Nintendo system.
Blah, I thought I covered all the well known fighting games, had a feeling I was forgetting something (that and Blazblue). :facepalm:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

YO HE DID IT AYYYYYYYYYYYYY
The real question tho is will he try for 1'32" ?????

Chrono.

God, I was fighting lv 9 monster in XCX and a lv 81 Tyrant got caught in the crossfire.

Needless to say, it didn't go well.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
http://strawpoll.me/6180216

If Smash had a 2nd fighting game character playable, who would you like?

*Not for DLC just in general
Nightmare correctly has the most amount of votes of the actual characters. :evil:
I'm guessing all the "Other" votes are meant for Kasumi / Ayane (not on the list for some reason?) or super-obscure characters I've never heard of.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Nightmare correctly has the most amount of votes of the actual characters. :evil:
I'm guessing all the "Other" votes are meant for Kasumi / Ayane (not on the list for some reason?) or super-obscure characters I've never heard of.
>Tfw I forgot DoA too

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Since no one seems to have given a proper answer. . . I suppose it is fitting I try

Yes it has reached its goal (and its first stretch goal).

There will be a continuation after the Indiegogo ends. For a few months you will still be able to donate towards stretch goals. Most of the backer rewards will still exist but, according to MikeZ, some of them will stop existing. Im assuming these are the higher ones like creating characters.

505's backing of 2 million dollars will not count towards stretch goals. Or else we would automatically hit them all.

I believe there is a way to add onto your donation but im not sure as I never wound up needing to. I do know that some members of Lab zero have the ability to refund one pledge so you can make a larger one.

Also post X spoilers and I will kill you :evil:
Thanks for the response. I guess I don't need to feel pressured to donate tonight then? I was thinking to make a small donation and adding on later potentially, but if the donation period has been extended for stretch goals, then I'll just make one larger donation at a later point instead.

I guess you remember that I've been interested in X, since I didn't mention it in that last post. Don't worry about it. Haven't even had a chance to play it yet. Had work all day and picked it up after and only just got home with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom