• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The No Fighting Game character rule isn't even a rule. It's a mistranslation and a misquoted Sakurai statement that he didn't want to focus on fighting game type characters and one character already broke that stupid rule long before Ryu

:4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4wiremac:
a. He's talking about fan rules for a reason. (i.e. they were made up by fans)
b. Punch-Out is not a fighting game. Just because it's a game about boxing doesn't make it a legitimate fighter.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Who should I do for my next Case For DLC article?

I'm probably going to go with Lara Croft, Master Cheif, or Sora, but I'm open to suggestion.

On an unrelated note, I'm really starting to think Tails make a lot of sense as one of the last DLC slots. People think he is unlikely due to fan rules.... Well, both new comers broke a ton of fan rules already.
On the other hand, they also reinforced the idea that third-party characters should be iconic.

Yeah, Tails could happen. Remember that a lot of people want a second Sonic character. Heck, even in my polls that I ran, Sonic characters got decent amount of votes.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
On the other hand, they also reinforced the idea that third-party characters should be iconic.

Yeah, Tails could happen. Remember that a lot of people want a second Sonic character. Heck, even in my polls that I ran, Sonic characters got decent amount of votes.
Shovel Knight can break the iconic rule :troll:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
a. He's talking about fan rules for a reason. (i.e. they were made up by fans)
b. Punch-Out is not a fighting game. Just because it's a game about boxing doesn't make it a legitimate fighter.
It actually is.

The genre fighting games is really really BROAD. When it comes to video games rating systems and how most cases when dealing in business with the media, fighting games is a genre in which is so freaking broad in the business definition where traditional fighters, Brawlers & Hack n Slash games and wrestling/boxing/MMA games all fall under that umbrella.

Games like Ready 2 Rumble and Facebreaker are all fighting games like Punch Out despite not being like what those fighting games are.

It's really screwed up and it's been like that since the 80s and 90s

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Come on, Snake. I know you can break that window
I like how their suggestions are biased.

Cloud - Lara Croft because Square.
Megaman- Jill Valentine because of Capcom.
PAC-MAN - RayMAN
Kyo Kusanagi - fighting game and Japanese.
Sonic - Angry Birds because of Sonic Runners.

I might be reading into it too much though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't mention that name anywhere near me.:troll:
Ok then. How about Butt Butt? :troll:

It actually is.

The genre fighting games is really really BROAD. When it comes to video games rating systems and how most cases when dealing in business with the media, fighting games is a genre in which is so freaking broad in the business definition where traditional fighters, Brawlers & Hack n Slash games and wrestling/boxing/MMA games all fall under that umbrella.

Games like Ready 2 Rumble and Facebreaker are all fighting games like Punch Out despite not being like what those fighting games are.

It's really screwed up and it's been like that since the 80s and 90s
We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

D

Deleted member

I like how their suggestions are biased.

Cloud - Lara Croft because Square.
Megaman- Jill Valentine because of Capcom.
PAC-MAN - RayMAN
Kyo Kusanagi - fighting game and Japanese.
Sonic - Angry Birds because of Sonic Runners.

I might be reading into it too much though.
It's not just you.

Though I wouldn't have gotten the Sonic-Angry Birds connection. I thought it was just because they're both iconic animals with attitude.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The fact that people are non ironically saying Master Chief has a legitimate chance now just seems contrarian to me. THIS HAPPENED SO WE KNOW NOTHING! YOU PEOPLE WERE DUMB! People did that during the base game speculation. We still predicted several things.

Suggesting characters that break Sakurai's rules and are owned by Nintendo's direct competition just because Cloud was chosen?

I'm not sure how you people viewed Cloud. It's not like he was owned by Sony. Square did have good relations with Nintendo and it's not like Cloud never appeared once.

It just seem ludicrous to me and Cloud never seemed ludicrous to me.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Badge arcade gets pokemon badge upgrade
none of the are actual pokemon badges
pfffftttt
Missed opportunity.
I did win a neat mewtwo badge though.

OMG i just found my 3DS in a bucket. I was so mad I had lost it. :colorful:
The fact that people are non ironically saying Master Chief has a legitimate chance now just seems contrarian to me. THIS HAPPENED SO WE KNOW NOTHING! YOU PEOPLE WERE DUMB! People did that during the base game speculation. We still predicted several things.

Suggesting characters that break Sakurai's rules and are owned by Nintendo's direct competition just because Cloud was chosen?

I'm not sure how you people viewed Cloud. It's not like he was owned by Sony. Square did have good relations with Nintendo and it's not like Cloud never appeared once.

This. Yeah Cloud screws with a few rules but we didn't through the rulebook completely out the window.

Honestly im surprised Sora support didnt shoot up instead of Chief honestly.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Are you surprised? We've always done this ever since the beginning of speculation.

Franchises having less reps? Some rule about a max number of reps.
Too many characters having a common weapon? Max number of sword characters.
Characters being similar to someone else? Can't be in or must replace the former.
Some baseless rumor that may or may not be true? They are obviously true.

And every time it happens they call those who don't believe in them idiots, or morons, or haters, or biased, or extremist, or whatever word popped in our dictionary today.

It's just how speculation is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I always saw Cloud as possible, but not likely.

I figured if we were getting a Final Fantasy character, it'd been someone like Black Mage or even a party of Black Mage, White Mage, and Ninja (if it was possible) like how they appeared in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix. Or a Moogle (also in those games).
I also figured if we were getting any Square Enix character in general, it'd be Slime from Dragon Quest since that is the more popular of the two series and Slime is an icon in its own right. Also, it appeared in Mario Sports Mix as well as the two Fortune Street games on Nintendo systems with other DQ characters.

Of course, Cloud makes sense because he's frigging Cloud, but him being "more Sony" than even Snake was (which was why Nintendo wasn't keen on the idea of Snake in Smash until Sakurai stepped in) made him seem as a huge longshot.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I was talking with friends about how SEGA should listen to their fans about the Sonic franchise. And I mean good suggestions, not ones like how they should, "Go back to the Classic Sonic timeline", I mean ones about Sonic Boom's profitability and the Premium Wheel.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Because to fanboys, Cloud represents an era of Square where they said '**** the N64'.

When people tend to forget that Square still put out multiple titles on the GBC, GBA, GC and DS.

They believe that he's a Sony character kinda similar to how people believe Banjo is more of a Nintendo character than a Rareware character. People look at it from a nostalgic standpoint and not from a business standpoint.

People believe that for Snake, Sonic and sort of that for Ryu.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122

if anyone should come from microsoft, it should be banjo. i just dont see master chief coming otherwise the rating will go up with him around. banjo makes sense and he and snake are the 3rd party characters that i want to see in smash.

Last edited:

Soul.

If the "with Cloud's inclusion every character has a chance!" statement is real then I think it's become annoying at this point. This "gate" hasn't been open yet; I don't know why people think it is.

Fan-rules are just stupid lol.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If the "with Cloud's inclusion every character has a chance!" statement is real then I think it's become annoying at this point. This "gate" hasn't been open yet; I don't know why people think it is.

Fan-rules are just stupid lol.
There was a person, who kept saying that a character should only be in Smash Bros, if they were iconic, which contradicts so many things that I can't even begin. He said Shulk was iconic :facepalm:. And then when I said Dark Pit wasn't iconic, he said, "Well yeah it's Dark Pit" :facepalm:. And I'm not even going to say who he said was the most iconic character they could choose for Smash Bros and the reason for his inclusion, I just won't. This person was actually kind of weird now that I think about it, and not just in this case, he was alway a bad apple actually. Making up his own rules and then contradicting them seconds later, only to dabble on about it. Strange person. (He was also biased as ****)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thought...

Smash 64 had 12 characters
Smash Melee had 26 with 14 new ones
Smash Brawl had 39 with 5 dropped and 18 new ones
Smash 4 (on launch) had 51 characters with one returning, 5 dropped and 17 new ones

With Ryu and now Cloud, if you include all mii fighters as seperate, Smash 4 has more newcomers than any other game in the series. The pattern has been retained.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So while playing Badge Arcade...

You know... I'm not saying I'm gonna win, but I have a good feeling about these options.

D

Deleted member

You know... I'm not saying I'm gonna win, but I have a good feeling about these options.
I got Mewtwo against Rayquaza lol
One Ice Beam later and I won

Badge Arcade is the literally the best thing in existence
And this bunny is the best Nintendo character and should be in Smash, for REAL

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Came here to post about this.

The bunny misspells Gyarados consistently and it bothered me. :laugh:

Edit: Proof.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Speaking of badge arcade:

Looks like we will get all of the pokemon ones all the way up to the ones Japan got last week. Which is cool because there are a lot you can win.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I still wonder when the Smash Bros announcement/presentation in December will be...they haven't announced that yet, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom