• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, I thought this would be fun. Here's a list of the top 100 best selling game series of all time (according to wikipedia, but all the numbers are at least sourced). I removed Smash Bros. and all licensed games (including licensed sports titles) from the list. You can find the list in the spoiler box below... If you want a third party character in and they're not here, chances are they don't have what it takes. It's funny to note how many already made it in.

1. Mario
2. Pokémon
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Wii
5. Call of Duty
6. The Sims
7. Need for Speed
8. Tetris
9. Final Fantasy
10. Sonic the Hedgehog

11. Tom Clancy
12. Assassin's Creed
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Gran Turismo
15. Minecraft
16. Dragon Quest
17. Halo
18. The Oregon Trail
19. Resident Evil
20. Battlefield

21. Just Dance
22. Donkey Kong
23. Crash Bandicoot
24. Bejeweled
25. Tekken
26. Tomb Raider
27. Pac-Man
28. Lineage
29. Metal Gear
30. Guitar Hero

31. Medal of Honor
32. Mortal Kombat
33. Street Fighter
34. Kirby
35. Brain Age
36. Monster Hunter
37. Civilization
38. Megaman
39. Nintendogs
40. Elder Scrolls

41. Borderlands
42. Ratchet & Clank
43. Rayman
44. Animal Crossing
45. Counter-Strike
46. Petz
47. Gears of War
48. God of War
49. Imagine
50. Kingdom Hearts

51. Uncharted
52. Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū
53. Age of Empires
54. Castlevania
55. Diablo
56. Far Cry
57. Frogger
58. Lemmings
59. Prince of Persia

60. Simple
61. Singstar
62. Spyro the Dragon
63. Warcraft (RTS only, does NOT include World of Warcraft numbers)
64. Midnight Club
65. Dynasty Warriors
66. SimCity
67. Metroid
68. StarCraft
69. Zuma
70. Puyo Puyo

71. Half-Life
72. Bemani
73. Red Dead
74. Burn Out
75. Gex
76. Raving Rabbids
77. Worms
78. Guild Wars
79. Tales of
80. Soul (Calibur)

81. Megami Tensei
82. Scribblenauts
83. Devil May Cry
84. Myst
85. Cooking Mama
86. Jak and Daxter
87. SOCOM
88. Star Fox
89. The Witcher
90. Left 4 Dead

91. Mass Effect
92. Souls (Demon Soul, etc)
93. Ace Combat
94. Adventure Island (Master Higgins a bigger Hudson rep then Bomberman?)
95. Asphalt
96. Bomberman
97. Deer Hunter
98. Momotaro Dentetsu
99. Pitfall
100. Rockband
First of all, what's Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū? Second, Henry from the 99th entry confirmed confirmed. Third, I expected Bomberman to be much, much higher

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So, I thought this would be fun. Here's a list of the top 100 best selling game series of all time (according to wikipedia, but all the numbers are at least sourced). I removed Smash Bros. and all licensed games (including licensed sports titles) from the list. You can find the list in the spoiler box below... If you want a third party character in and they're not here, chances are they don't have what it takes. It's funny to note how many already made it in.

1. Mario
2. Pokémon
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Wii
5. Call of Duty
6. The Sims
7. Need for Speed
8. Tetris
9. Final Fantasy
10. Sonic the Hedgehog

11. Tom Clancy Series (Some of the numbers MAY come from licensed products, not sure)
12. Assassin's Creed
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Gran Turismo
15. Minecraft
16. Dragon Quest
17. Halo
18. The Oregon Trail
19. Resident Evil
20. Battlefield

21. Just Dance
22. Donkey Kong
23. Crash Bandicoot
24. Bejeweled
25. Tekken
26. Tomb Raider
27. Pac-Man
28. Lineage
29. Metal Gear
30. Guitar Hero

31. Medal of Honor
32. Mortal Kombat
33. Street Fighter
34. Kirby
35. Brain Age
36. Monster Hunter
37. Civilization
38. Megaman
39. Nintendogs
40. Elder Scrolls

41. Borderlands
42. Ratchet & Clank
43. Rayman
44. Animal Crossing
45. Counter-Strike
46. Petz
47. Gears of War
48. God of War
49. Imagine
50. Kingdom Hearts

51. Uncharted
53. Age of Empires
54. Castlevania
55. Diablo
56. Far Cry
57. Frogger
58. Lemmings
59. Prince of Persia

60. Simple
61. Singstar
62. Spyro the Dragon
64. Midnight Club
65. Dynasty Warriors
66. SimCity
67. Metroid
68. StarCraft
69. Zuma
70. Puyo Puyo

71. Half-Life
72. Bemani
73. Red Dead
74. Burn Out
75. Gex
76. Raving Rabbids
77. Worms
78. Guild Wars
79. Tales of
80. Soul (Calibur)

81. Megami Tensei
82. Scribblenauts
83. Devil May Cry
84. Myst
85. Cooking Mama
86. Jak and Daxter
87. SOCOM
88. Star Fox
89. The Witcher
90. Left 4 Dead

91. Mass Effect
93. Ace Combat
95. Asphalt
96. Bomberman
97. Deer Hunter
98. Momotaro Dentetsu
99. Pitfall
100. Rockband
Wait a minute, Final Fantasy sold more than Sonic? That's shocking. And I find it funny that Tekken outsold SF and MK despite the series' sales dropping like a rock for over 10 years

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just wanted the stupid goomba badge and I won all of them BUT the goomba badge

Edit: And apparently I can't get the goomba badge even if I pay

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

1. Mario
2. Pokémon
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Wii
5. Call of Duty
6. The Sims
7. Need for Speed
8. Tetris
9. Final Fantasy
10. Sonic the Hedgehog

11. Tom Clancy Series (Some of the numbers MAY come from licensed products, not sure)
12. Assassin's Creed
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Gran Turismo
15. Minecraft
16. Dragon Quest
17. Halo
18. The Oregon Trail
19. Resident Evil
20. Battlefield

21. Just Dance
22. Donkey Kong
23. Crash Bandicoot
24. Bejeweled
25. Tekken
26. Tomb Raider
27. Pac-Man
28. Lineage
29. Metal Gear
30. Guitar Hero

31. Medal of Honor
32. Mortal Kombat
33. Street Fighter
34. Kirby
35. Brain Age
36. Monster Hunter
37. Civilization
38. Megaman
39. Nintendogs
40. Elder Scrolls

41. Borderlands
42. Ratchet & Clank
43. Rayman
44. Animal Crossing
45. Counter-Strike
46. Petz
47. Gears of War
48. God of War
49. Imagine
50. Kingdom Hearts

51. Uncharted
53. Age of Empires
54. Castlevania
55. Diablo
56. Far Cry
57. Frogger
58. Lemmings
59. Prince of Persia

60. Simple
61. Singstar
62. Spyro the Dragon
64. Midnight Club
65. Dynasty Warriors
66. SimCity
67. Metroid
68. StarCraft
69. Zuma
70. Puyo Puyo

71. Half-Life
72. Bemani
73. Red Dead
74. Burn Out
75. Gex
76. Raving Rabbids
77. Worms
78. Guild Wars
79. Tales of
80. Soul (Calibur)

81. Megami Tensei
82. Scribblenauts
83. Devil May Cry
84. Myst
85. Cooking Mama
86. Jak and Daxter
87. SOCOM
88. Star Fox
89. The Witcher
90. Left 4 Dead

91. Mass Effect
93. Ace Combat
95. Asphalt
96. Bomberman
97. Deer Hunter
98. Momotaro Dentetsu
99. Pitfall
100. Rockband
"5. Call of Duty"

IT'S HAPPENING :troll:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, finally, here t goes about my takes on the lattest article released about paper jam here:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...o-n-luigi-paper-jam-bros-3ds-hands-on-preview

which basically had a lot of new stuff and youtube footages IN ENGLISH OMG!!!!

I will NOT spoiler this one because I realised the article was made spoilerless and really, there's not much to spoil.

I won't link the vid, they are all in the articles and I'll jsut go through them.

I am going to stright up say that as the article says, I do think the game starts VERY rough, it's not like there's a prologue, it's very brutal and going tbh, I don't care this much: as long as the writting is solid, it can come as a slap in my fact if it wants, idc.

The only new thing about the mouse chassing is there was apparently leaks on that attic, no not games leaks, real leaks :)

The tittle screen animation really rocks, it has been much improved since E3 as you realise that all the main characters are there which tbh might mean that Bowser jr might be THAT recurent boss in the game, maybe kamek, but I believe kamek is mroe that guy that does stuff to annoy you outside of battles. Anyway, I really love the tittle screen and notice the shiny textures on the green floor, SS, but looks awsome when applied to actuall environment instead of just stickers and in this game, cards.

Now the peach cs, now we knwo the love story: Peach is jealous of Paper Peach. that's really it because the brothers greet Paper Peach and Peach is like `but.....you don't talk as nice to me like this :( ". Notice the shock animation on peach when Luigi does the heart thing :)

For the Bowser one, it's actually quite fun. The Bowser Jr as shown in their artwork.....they just like eachother :) It's funny because a couple meters near them, the Bowser insults eachother. It's like they are friend and I can't wait to see how it will look in fight with them :)

Btw, the ONLY thing we know about the books is it can be used the other way around (to send back the paper to the .....pages I guess) and (this was known though) it contains a parallel universe. What i woudl really want to know is what is that book exactly? spm had a dark story that started with one book and it was deeply explained what it does.

Now, let me really talk about the following because I alluded how the following quote made me react so much:

Luigi loses the book that contains the world of Paper Mario and it lands in the hands on Bowser's minions. Our green hero is very saddened and Paper Mario decides to cheer him up by allowing himself to be used as a napkin. It gave me the silliest grin on my face and proved the highlight of the journey so far.
Let me tackle the less interesting part first: this chnages the story because if the book is within bowsers, he can SUMMON paper stuff.......you see the idea here? it means expect paper bosses for sure.

But the most obvious part: I said that if they kept pushing paper mario personality like his intro, the generic feels of enemies and npc would just not matter much.

now the napkin thing. This one is big, throughout the ENTIRE Paper Mario series, NEVER his personality was pushed THIS much. it was very obvious, it was very implied, but it was never shown much. This might be due to the formula on how Paper Mario works because usually, it's too damm obvious to show it explicitly (seriously, the TTYD battle system is the most obvious, I mean if you can't feel a quirkyness in his battle habits if you play TTYD, you are quite blind tbh).

But we have to remember, this is an M&l game with MARIO inside of it, the environment is PARTIALLLY paper and Paper Mario really, he just HAS to differentiate himself by more explicit methods other then looking at him. If he doesn't, then he would jsut look like a paper version of the same mario and that is clearly what the game tries to AVOID.

Doing paper jokes here is actually fine here, it;s jsut shown and tbh, I don't thinkt he text would overkill that anyway so it doesn't go in SS territory.

But why am I gushing so much on this?

Because it follows EXACTLY what i want to see from this game. I view this game from a paper mario perspective as a transition to come back to its root which was essentially what SS shoudl have done (we all know what happened). The logic behind this game is clearly that because I can feel how different paper Mario is from Mario, I really can feel it by how he does stuff, reacts or just phisically doing stuff that Mario does in a drastically different way.

It freaking doesn't matter if 60% of the npc are toads, you have the most developped and silly character playable for 95% of the game! That's the equivalent of a lot of diversed npc here, it really isn't bad at this point. In fact, think about from a dev perspective, it might actually be a good compromise between being able to reuse the SS assets and using them in a way that they feel better. SS never pushed Paper Mario personality and it had bland npc, paper jam pushes it a lot which doesn't make the npc being generic a bad thing overall, it just to me is a compromise of the SS assets which is FINE as i expect this game as a transition, not a revolution.

This is why i am very close to preorder digital: at this point, this was probably relatively to the beginning of the game and again, there is a lot of cs.......

I am going to think about it, but I might preorder by this week after what we learned, though, if I hear another one of these personality pushing that is new, it's going to be instabuy now.

to go back to the article, I feel the actuall story itself hides a lot. Cause if you think about it, what are you trying to do? sure beat bowser, but this is an rpg! It's not your tiopical mario game beat bowser and done, it has to have a story behind it which tbh is very unknown......to be continued.

Now the toad part, again, i am surprised: they look much more interesting. You know that lakitu center? View it more as the trouble center of TTYD, except that the missions are usually kinda separate. They also have an hard mode which to me......sounds really nice if I feel doing them. Basically, it is much more elaborated than i thought and I think you coudl have a good time with these.

Ok, the nabbit, we know his role: he has the duo and trio attacks items and you basically chase him to get them. Let me first tell you: THANK YOU FOR NOT USING THE DT SYSTEM!!! I really didn't liked the pieces from DT......was quite annoying.

This is new, no badges, but that was expected imo. idk how they could make the cards AND badges worlks at the same time. Speaking of cards, you only have a deck of 10 that yes, you can manage and this isn't much considering the game draws randomly 3 cards at a given time. to me, it alsy sounds a lot better than the badges because you ahve an rng merged with a bit of strategy and that strategy part is quite diversed also, THANK GOD THE CHARGING FEATURE IS MUCH BETTER THAN DT!!!! I hated the charge bar, but love the star points system which btw.......is it a refference to the SP in TTYD?.....

That pokey boss btw, he had an SS crown on its head, a paper goomba did had one too so maybe we can expect similar SS bosses? So, maybe we will see gooper blooper with HOPEFULLY a proper world and a proper music (not going to start on how horrible world 3 from SS was).

Also, I want to bring a point that the article said: the environment ARE SS based so yes they are generic, but they are detailed. What it means is the Paper aspect of them are used in a way that you just look at it and it just feels you are in a crossover. Having the paper details for me makes the world much better than SS which is a plus.

now here's a very interesting thing:

One of the earliest examples is how you can jump and dash together with the X-button. This will allow you to walk through the terrain rather quickly and even escape some enemy attacks if you want to. This is also important at special ramps that will launch you to other places on the map, which will make you travel in style.
Very curious about that ramp......and what style?

Btw, the blocks textures changed a lot since E3, idk if you noticed.

The game has an all time save system which idk if new, but i don't think i saw this in M&l, but the heal block is definetely Paper Mario inspired.

So I guess that's it, now the lst thing I am going to say is my opinion on the overall game quite changed.

Remember when I watched E3? the first hours I felt disappointed because I wanted a papper Mario game and then I had this, but then I realised it could just be a transition, but I was still worried cause......SS based.....

But as the footages goes, I realised that altough it is BASED on SS, it is NOT SS. I see similar points where both game do the same thing, but they go differently. in fact so different that I would question if the game is REALLY SS based because a lot of stuff could have gotten wrong from basing the game on SS and so far, all of them are avoided. it's like as if they knew and intentionally avoided to repeat what SS shoudln't have done.

So for the paper Mario aspect, is is a good thing for the series, VERY good thing i might say because of how they distinguis and draw the thick lines between Mario and Paper Mario. In fact, people will now have a muich harder tiem to try to justify how his inclusion in SSB4 woudl be redundant, there is just way too much explicit stuff done on that game and you could say it's comparable or got firther than toon link from wind waker which didn't had a name even.

Now, what about the M&l part?

.......Actually this is hard to answer. I liked DT and I didn't understand why people didn't liked it. I didn't liked superstar saga and a lot liked it......I am not really the person to get this because I jsut don't like the philosophy of m&l in the first place. What I can say however is that it looks smart. the battle system being more complex now offers much more strategy which I found lacking in both m&l game I played. The humor seems to be maintained for both series giving more jokes variety for the m&l side. it seems to expends on the DT system making it feel more fresh, etc.....

Basically, i do think it is good for M&l too, but I can't really accurately define what m&l shoudl do......so yeah.

I expect this game to be a first for Paper Mario to shine tbh, this si fthe first time his identity is acknowledged to the point of having a name and a trademark. hopefully he woudl get more and possibly having his series goes in a better direction than where SS went.....

Thanks for reading, i hope you liked to see my stance change over time :)

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Wait, what? Time zones aren't off by 8 days lol.
Nah nah nah, I meant that it would have been 7 days for the majority of other people since I'm a day ahead of most people here, but I wasn't sure about Anna since I have no clue if she was in Europe or the Americas so I made it more vague on my end :lol: :p

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like how the first search result when I searched "Domino's pizza"

was Pizzahut

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm hoping for December 6th. Why you ask?

Because I'm a selfish turd monger and have that day off already.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

1. Mario
2. Pokémon
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Wii
5. Call of Duty
6. The Sims
7. Need for Speed
8. Tetris
9. Final Fantasy
10. Sonic the Hedgehog

12. Assassin's Creed
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Gran Turismo
15. Minecraft
16. Dragon Quest
17. Halo
18. The Oregon Trail
19. Resident Evil
20. Battlefield

21. Just Dance
22. Donkey Kong
23. Crash Bandicoot
24. Bejeweled
25. Tekken
26. Tomb Raider
27. Pac-Man
28. Lineage
29. Metal Gear
30. Guitar Hero

31. Medal of Honor
32. Mortal Kombat
33. Street Fighter
34. Kirby
35. Brain Age
36. Monster Hunter
37. Civilization
38. Megaman
39. Nintendogs
40. Elder Scrolls

41. Borderlands
42. Ratchet & Clank
43. Rayman
44. Animal Crossing
45. Counter-Strike
46. Petz
47. Gears of War
48. God of War
49. Imagine
50. Kingdom Hearts

51. Uncharted
53. Age of Empires
54. Castlevania
55. Diablo
56. Far Cry
57. Frogger
58. Lemmings
59. Prince of Persia

60. Simple
61. Singstar
62. Spyro the Dragon
64. Midnight Club
65. Dynasty Warriors
66. SimCity
67. Metroid
68. StarCraft
69. Zuma
70. Puyo Puyo

71. Half-Life
72. Bemani
73. Red Dead
74. Burn Out
75. Gex
76. Raving Rabbids
77. Worms
78. Guild Wars
79. Tales of
80. Soul (Calibur)

81. Megami Tensei
82. Scribblenauts
83. Devil May Cry
84. Myst
85. Cooking Mama
86. Jak and Daxter
87. SOCOM
88. Star Fox
89. The Witcher
90. Left 4 Dead

91. Mass Effect
93. Ace Combat
95. Asphalt
96. Bomberman
97. Deer Hunter
98. Momotaro Dentetsu
99. Pitfall
100. Rockband
Pretty interesting to look through. From my personal choices (that are 3rd party) I see that Crash is at 23 and Metal Gear at 29. Guess I chose some pretty popular choices then. :cool:

Also, its something I've noticed lately, but I've been seeing some talk of Crash lately and it makes me happy that people haven't forgotten him. Even with a dormant franchise, people who grew up in the late 90's early 00's will remember him. Hopefully he makes a comeback soon and if not this game, then Smash 5 is where he can hopefully shine.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's Sunday though. They delayed closing the ballot on Weekends. December 3rd makes sense, weren't both the Smash Direct and the 50 facts on Wednesdays?
Ryu and Roy were on a Sunday.

Limits are meant to be broken.

Especially for me.

Because I'm pretty. :)

D

Deleted member

I'm hoping for December 6th. Why you ask?

Because I'm a selfish turd monger and have that day off already.
Haha, in here, school ends next week after finals
So everyday will be a day off
Except for those that need to retake the tests
And I'm most likely going to be one of them :^)
haha get it? i'm the joke
i hate literature

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
First of all, what's Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū? Second, Henry from the 99th entry confirmed confirmed. Third, I expected Bomberman to be much, much higher
It's a baseball game.... a character from it is back to back with Bomberman here:

I also find the Bomberman numbers a bit hard to accept, the series has over 70 games with several confirmed million sellers. Still, those are the best numbers I could find on the internet (and come from Konami).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's storming like hell outside

So I just ordered a pizza

Pizzahut had better deals anyway

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It's a baseball game.... a character from it is back to back with Bomberman here:

I also find the Bomberman numbers a bit hard to accept, the series has over 70 games with several confirmed million sellers. Still, those are the best numbers I could find on the internet (and come from Konami).
Is that Optimous Prime?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone made a good point

The reason the guard keeps coming back in FNAF is because

From his perspective, nothing happened during the night.

Just some creepy animatronics looked in through his window

He survives the night, after all. The deaths being non canon

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Why yes it is. Wonderful isn't it?
Maybe it's the japanese equivalent

They were toys in Japan before they were transformers in America
Yep. Along with Bomberman, Snake, Simon Belmont and others.

Look at Snake and Simon on the Belmont hanging out on the left side like a couple of bosses.
Well this is certainly weird...
Where's frogger? He can play to...

Chrono.

Freaking Tyson from Beyblade of all people lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DYKG and ProJared to remind me of what never was
Someone made a good point

The reason the guard keeps coming back in FNAF is because

From his perspective, nothing happened during the night.

Just some creepy animatronics looked in through his window

He survives the night, after all. The deaths being non canon
That... actually makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom