• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I remember emulating DreamMix TV: World Fighters a couple years ago (my computer barely made it).

Pretty fun, but no way a major competitor to Smash.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I remember emulating DreamMix TV: World Fighters a couple years ago (my computer barely made it).

Pretty fun, but no way a major competitor to Smash.
Yeah, I used it for the novelty of playing as Simon fighting Snake, then I was pretty much done with it. S'alright. :V

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's pretty clear that Sakurai doesn't give a **** about competing consoles. He has free reign over his choices for Smash Bros. Nintendo asked him to add Pac-Man into Brawl, and he declined. They didn't force him to do it. If he cared about competing consoles then Cloud, Ryu and Snake never would have been in Smash.

Who is to say that the fan made rule that characters had to be 'nintendo relevant' is any less fraudulent than the fan made rule that the character 'cannot be owned by a rival company'?

As a community, we need to stop making up these stupid rules. And we especially need to stop acting as if these fan made rules have any bearing on character selection.
I wasn't talking about Nintendo relevant bullocks.

I always said that was whack and have been for a while. I support Snake and said that Cloud and Lara would be cool, remember?

I mainly said that just because Sakurai is okay with A, doesn't mean he's okay with B. I'm mad at the false equivalence of a third party character being added to a competing first party character being added. They are different things.

Sakurai's own rule was realistic firearms. While Snake can still be Snake without them due to CQC and explosives and a focus on stealth. Master Chief can't be Master Chief without firearms. And unlike this broad stroke of "fan rule," that's straight from Sakurai's mouth.

And fan rules have no basis? Well, of course they do. But the logic behind a lot of those is often sound. What about the K.Rool costume? You think it means the death of him? Yes? That's a fan rule. We don't have concrete proof that costumes damn characters. What's that? You think Wolf is probably done for? Why? Characters aren't done yet. Sakurai is done with veterans, you say? Also a fan rule. Hmm? You got to those conclusions with logic and critical thinking and thus you think they are sound? Congratulations. That's what most of the fan rules are made from. We're often wrong and that's fine. But saying that all of our assumptions are wrong and that we should never think about them again because some were ludicrously wrong is asinine. When scientists and historians and philosophers find something that destroys their previous line of thinking, they don't give up. They just adapt and change their rules to suit reality.

I have no problem with thinking that anything is possible and I have no qualms with entertaining the seemingly ridiculous. I have a problem with this holier than though attitude towards speculation's formerly accepted points because most of you people crying out against it put stock into them too. "Fan Rules" is a misleading name. These aren't rules. They're just people saying what they think will happen after thinking about it.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm going to say that the Direct will come the FIRST week of December.

I mean, outside of :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:, every content patch we've gotten has been around the end of the month. Now, considering they most likely want to push this out before X-mas, I can see this coming the first week of December.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm thinking the direct will happen within the first ten days of December.

Just a gut feeling I got.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I always said that was whack and have been for a while. I support Snake and said that Cloud and Lara would be cool, remember?

I mainly said that just because Sakurai is okay with A, doesn't mean he's okay with B. I'm mad at the false equivalence of a third party character being added to a competing first party character being added. They are different things.

Sakurai's own rule was realistic firearms. While Snake can still be Snake without them due to CQC and explosives and a focus on stealth. Master Chief can't be Master Chief without firearms. And unlike this broad stroke of "fan rule," that's straight from Sakurai's mouth.

And fan rules have no basis? Well, of course they do. But the logic behind a lot of those is often sound. What about the K.Rool costume? You think it means the death of him? Yes? That's a fan rule. We don't have concrete proof that costumes damn characters. What's that? You think Wolf is probably done for? Why? Characters aren't done yet. Sakurai is done with veterans, you say? Also a fan rule. Hmm? You got to those conclusions with logic and critical thinking and thus you think they are sound? Congratulations. That's what most of the fan rules are made from. We're often wrong and that's fine. But saying that all of our assumptions are wrong and that we should never think about them again because some were ludicrously wrong is asinine. When scientists and historians and philosophers find something that destroys their previous line of thinking, they don't give up. They just adapt and change their rules to suit reality.

I have no problem with thinking that anything is possible and I have no qualms with entertaining the seemingly ridiculous. I have a problem with this holier than though attitude towards speculation's formerly accepted points because most of you people crying out against it put stock into them too. "Fan Rules" is a misleading name. These aren't rules. They're just people saying what they think will happen after thinking about it.
Show me a quote then where Sakurai said that the character couldn't be owned by another company. Sakurai's criteria are the following:
It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.
Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.
The character must carry game history with them. (Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform)

Master Chief doesn't break any of those guidelines, and any manipulation you do of Sakurai's guidelines to try and make your point is completely on you, or anyone else who is doing the same.

That Master Chief firearms thing is just a complete copout, there are many if not dozens of weapons in Halo that aren't "realistic".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't
Show me a quote then where Sakurai said that the character couldn't be owned by another company. Sakurai's criteria are the following:
It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.
Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.
The character must carry game history with them. (Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform)

Master Chief doesn't break any of those guidelines, and any manipulation you do of Sakurai's guidelines to try and make your point is completely on you, or anyone else who is doing the same.

That Master Chief firearms thing is just a complete copout, there are many if not dozens of weapons in Halo that aren't "realistic".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the most iconic weapon Master Chief wields a realistic assault rifle? Sorry, but I doubt Sakurai's the kind of guy to outright replace the most iconic thing of the character simply because of his rules

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Covenent weapons are all lasers. Master Chief using them exclusively would be no weirder then Snake only using heavy weapons and explosives.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the most iconic weapon Master Chief wields a realistic assault rifle? Sorry, but I doubt Sakurai's the kind of guy to outright replace the most iconic thing of the character simply because of his rules
Do you really think that if Sakurai wanted to add Master Chief, that the fact that one of his weapons is realistic is going to stop him? Or do you think that the man who made movesets for a Dog who's only prior in game role was laughing at you, yoga instructor and a toy robot would just maybe find a way around it and use some of the many, many other weapons in Halo?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Meanwhile I just sit back and take whatever comes my way without questioning if it's right or not when it comes to the next character.

D

Deleted member

You know we have lost all common sense when Master Chief is being considered a viable character for Smash

It's that or the energy sword. Personally, I think the Assualt Rifle is mroe iconic (Cover of 1 and 3) but I see where the argument for the sword lies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do you really think that if Sakurai wanted to add Master Chief, that the fact that one of his weapons is realistic is going to stop him? Or do you think that the man who made movesets for a Dog who's only prior in game role was laughing at you, yoga instructor and a toy robot would just maybe find a way around it and use some of the many, many other weapons in Halo?
Sakurai cares how characters are represented. Remember when he would have denied Pac-Man if he couldn't get the iconic look? By removing what is arguably Chief's signature weapon, it's not doing him the justice he'd need.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
User was warned for this post
Considering those characters didn't have a SIGNATURE WEAPON, yes. I find that easy to believe. After all, we can't have Sonic having arm blades, Mega Man as a boxer, Ryu as a sniper or Cloud wielding nunchucks.
I swear to god, I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots on this forum (Not directed at you Anvil, other thread) People are comparing Cloud to Spiderman and yelling about propoganda in the media despite there being sources, not to mention 'WEHWEH MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER WON'T GET IN ANYMORE BECAUSE OF CLOUD'

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
3rd party wise tails,banjo, Simon and bomberman are ones I feel likely with shovel knight Being my bias pick.I can't say master cheif is a viable option but if and I mean if sakurai wanted him he could get him.Saying other wise especially everything we seen since smash 64 is just a bit Strange in my opinion

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know we have lost all common sense when Master Chief is being considered a viable character for Smash
Viable is streching it. I don't think ANY Microsoft character will ever sniff Smash Bros. unless some unprecedented long term deal between Microsoft and Nintendo occurs.

I'm just saying that MC is one of if not the biggest video game icon not in the game, so he makes a certain amount of sense as a possible FPS rep. Making sense doesn't mean he'll ever get close to getting into the game.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's that or the energy sword. Personally, I think the Assualt Rifle is mroe iconic (Cover of 1 and 3) but I see where the argument for the sword lies.
And it lies with the Arbiter.
----------
Also a reminder that Halo 5 has a Kinetic Bolts attachment in Warzone for the Assault Rifle and other load out weapons that makes them shoot hard light which is of Forerunner origin.
Chief keeps his weapon whilst a workaround to the bullet problem is solved.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

I can't believe I'm about to jump in to defend Master Chief of all characters with regards to Smash Bros., but here goes.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that Master Chief can't be Master Chief without firearms because of one thing.

The Covenant

One of the most memorable parts of Halo is all of the Covenant weaponry, with all of it's bright colors and wholly unrealistic nature, like a gun that shoots blue laser blasts or pink exploding spikes, or a big hammer that messes with gravity to send people flying, or the iconic energy sword.

Far more recognizable and arguably more popular than most of the human weapons, the Covenant weapons would not be out of place for Master Chief to use, as Covenant weapons are often on-hand throughout the series, even in human weapons caches. The Super Scope of all things looks more realistic of a firearm than anything above. Pretty much all of these weapons are about on equal level to Fox's pistol.

"But Master Chief wouldn't use only Covenant weapons, there'd have to be something from the UNSC he'd use."

The Spartan Laser. One of the most iconic weapons in the franchise and for good reason. No bullets or realistic weaponry here, just a massive laser that'll mow down whatever you like. And that's to say nothing of the massive backlog of explosive weaponry like rocket launchers the UNSC has on them.

Hell, there's even a completely fitting and un-realistic UNSC vehicle that'd be a perfect Final Smash.

The Gauss Warthog, which has a mounted laser turret with instant-kill pulses that can be aimed in any direction. Think of it as a smaller, more mobile landmaster, that instead of firing massive tank shots straight forward, can fire thin Light Arrow-like blasts in any direction (although it'd be far weaker than Light Arrows for balance purposes.)

While weaponry is inarguably a central part of the Halo franchise, there's a TRUCKLOAD of options available with which to skirt around the "no realistic firearms" rule. If Sakurai, for some insane reason in the future, did decide to add Master Chief, I highly doubt he'd ignore more than half of the weapons available in the series and let the minority of realistic ones stop him.

I think we can all agree that Master Chief has a snowball's chance in hell of EVER getting into Smash, but let's make it clear that what's keeping him out ISN'T the weaponry.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I've never played Halo, :p, never really been into shooters. Only one I've enjoyed is Splatoon.

Chrono.

Since Microsoft characters seem to be the Hot Topic™ right now...

http://strawpoll.me/6033816

Have fun

*note that I'm not very familiar with Microsoft franchises, hence the high number of Rare characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Before we get into a pointless argument
Nuzlocke update!
14478008246531926794259.jpg

And Burb is kill
Long story short, Manectric had Flamethrower
At Lysandre Labs now
Statjs: getting tentacle hentai flashbacks from Xerosic's Contrary Malamar
Feeling: I'm gonna have to fight a Mega Gyarados with three glass cannons, how do you think I feel?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Does anyone remember Tetris Attack?

Yeah, why haven't they made a sequel to that game?

I need my fast paced competitive puzzle games since Sega doesn't care about Puyo Puyo in the West

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I have the trilogy but I stopped playing after I got stuck in the snow area in Prime. Should probably get back to it later....

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
4 new Pictures of Cloud:

Although, I believe I've seen the 3rd one, but not the other 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom