• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The fact that people are non ironically saying Master Chief has a legitimate chance now just seems contrarian to me. THIS HAPPENED SO WE KNOW NOTHING! YOU PEOPLE WERE DUMB! People did that during the base game speculation. We still predicted several things.

Suggesting characters that break Sakurai's rules and are owned by Nintendo's direct competition just because Cloud was chosen?

I'm not sure how you people viewed Cloud. It's not like he was owned by Sony. Square did have good relations with Nintendo and it's not like Cloud never appeared once.

It just seem ludicrous to me and Cloud never seemed ludicrous to me.
I don't think a Microsoft character will get into Smash, but I don't see how Chief is any more ridiculous than Banjo. The biggest thing Banjo has over Cheif is that he originated on Nintendo hardware, but Cloud's inclusion makes it pretty obvious that icon status superceeds importance to Nintendo. MC is pretty much Mr. FPS.

By the way Sakurai never actually said a character had to appear on a Nintendo system. He just thought it would be a nice courtesy (ask @PushDustIn).

Going to save the rest for my Case 4 article, but I want you all to remember this was an actual proposed game with a made proof of concept:

D

Deleted member

Came here to post about this.

The bunny misspells Gyarados consistently and it bothered me. :laugh:

Edit: Proof.
I expected the typo to be Gayrados
I actually spelt its name like that because of how it was pronounced in the Portuguese dub of the anime :p

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I don't think a Microsoft character will get into Smash, but I don't see how Chief is any more ridiculous than Banjo. The biggest thing Banjo has over Cheif is that he originated on Nintendo hardware, but Cloud's inclusion makes it pretty obvious that icon status superceeds importance to Nintendo. MC is pretty much Mr. FPS.

By the way Sakurai never actually said a character had to appear on a Nintendo system. He just thought it would be a nice courtesy (ask @PushDustIn).

Going to save the rest for my Case 4 article, but I want you all to remember this was an actual proposed game with a made proof of concept:

Chief : main character of serie exclusive to Microsoft since it's beginning. Never add any link with Nintendo.
Banjo : protagonist of one of the N64 most beloved franchise that is a iconic collect-a-thon. Begun as a Nintendo exclusive but eventually became a Microsoft property.
Cloud : Main character of a classic JRPG that is part of a serie that had it's six first title on a Nintendo console. It's owner made a lot of title with Nintendo.

Banjo and Chief aren't the same league.

Edit: Didn't saw the Halo DS thing.:laugh: Banjo still have more history with Nintendo thought.

Last edited:
How much has the BK series even sold? With how much people seem to hype up the games It sounds like It would be on par with big games

VGchartz (as laughable as they are) puts it at a whopping 5 mil for the first two. That's not saying a whole lot. The first Halo outsells the whole series. Can't help but assume the fanbase grossly overestimates their impact :/ And I say that as a Banjo supporter.

(well i'm also a Master CHief supporter and have been for a while but that's besides the point.)

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I somehow seriously doubt Master Chief would ever be picked over Banjo. I think people are overestimating Cloud's inclusion. It's annoying.

Phil Spencer even wants Banjo in Smash and he's head of the Xbox division.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Chief : main character of serie exclusive to Microsoft since it's beginning. Never add any link with Nintendo.
Banjo : protagonist of one of the N64 most beloved franchise that is a iconic collect-a-thon. Begun as a Nintendo exclusive but eventually became a Microsoft property.
Cloud : Main character of a classic JRPG that is part of a serie that had it's six first title on a Nintendo console. It's owner made a lot of title with Nintendo.

Banjo and Chief aren't the same league.

Edit: Didn't saw the Halo DS thing.:laugh: Banjo still have more history with Nintendo thought.
That's my point though, Nintendo history is his only real advantage (ratings issues aside).

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I am aware of Halo DS every time Master Chief is brought up but I really don't think a cancelled game that was never greenlighted should count for anything.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
However, there were two CoD games on the DS...

And Call of Duty is one of the most well known shooter franchises out there...

So CoD Solder is comfirmed for Smash DLC.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
That's my point though, Nintendo history is his only real advantage (ratings issues aside).
True.
The thing is, while Cloud never appeared on a Nintendo console himself (aside from a few spin-offs), the serie and company he is from have a lot of history with Nintendo, making is inclusion not so out of place. Master Chief and his serie, aside from the cancelled DS game, never had any link with Nintendo. He may be more iconic than Banjo, but I think is he's lack of Nintendo history is his biggest problem.

Last edited:
While I'm disappointed that this is the only thing we're getting out of the anniversary, at least it's something.
"I'm not sure I like this idea"
Almost every image o the avatars does not have them smiling. They all have an awkward look on their faces like they are smiling for a picture. Even the Microsoft avatars hated this idea.

True.
The thing is, while Cloud never appeared on a Nintendo console himself, t
Kingdom hearts
Theatrythm
Final Fantasy Explorers or whatever it's called

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, as :4lucas:was announced to be released for last June alongside other characters who were yet to be revealed, I have the feeling we'll have the same situation as we'll not only get:4cloud:at the end of the December broadcast but also 2 new characters as well.

Did you also notice each of the 3 latest add-on characters correspond to a Mii fighter class ?

:4miibrawl:=:4ryu:
:4miisword:=:4feroy:
:4miigun:=:4lucas:

If we refer to this pattern, we would get at the end of the broadcast or the day after :

:4miibrawl:= Dixie Kong
:4miisword:=:4cloud:
:4miigun:= Wolf

Wolf is self-explanatory, while Dixie will most likely be :4diddy:'s :wolf:, making both of them fairly easy characters to make and ideal to go with the main course.

#inb4DixieNotACloneExtremism

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
You know, as :4lucas:was announced to be released for last June alongside other characters who were yet to be revealed, I have the feeling we'll have the same situation as we'll not only get:4cloud:at the end of the December broadcast but also 2 new characters as well.

Did you also notice each of the 3 latest add-on characters correspond to a Mii fighter class ?

If we refer to this pattern, we would get at the end of the broadcast or the day after :

Wolf is self-explanatory, while Dixie will most likely be :4diddy:'s :wolf:, making both of them fairly easy to make and ideal to go with the main course.

Or it could be K.Rool for brawler :p

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Wolf is self-explanatory, while Dixie will most likely be :4diddy:'s :wolf:, making both of them fairly easy to make and ideal to go with the main course.

Well, it's not as bad as the "Rainbow theory", but it's certainly not one I'd bank on either.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Which consisted of... ? :confused:
To quote GoldenYuiitusin for a second:
"Here, let's make predictions on guests based on forming a RAINBOW out of their background colors! Only we'll make Ryu count as orange despite his background being red and Mario count for red despite him not being a guest just so we have only ONE prediction to make!"

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
A bit late to the party, but Banjo would be THE reveal for me personally. Not saying that it's gonna happen, but PLEASE SAKURAI

Chrono.

These pattern theories with the roster never turn out well and it's surprising people are still trying to make them sound legit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wolf is self-explanatory, while Dixie will most likely be :4diddy:'s :wolf:, making both of them fairly easy characters to make and ideal to go with the main course.

These is some new level of strawgrasping

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Looking for nonexisting patterns will only lead to disappointment.

Plus there's no way in hell there will be anything close to a pattern for the ballot results.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Banjo is announced for Smash.

Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie are released for the Wii U Virtual Console

Nintendo and Microsoft now co-own the series.

A new Banjo game is announced, coming out on both the Wii U and Xbox One.

You wake up :troll:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The fact that people are non ironically saying Master Chief has a legitimate chance now just seems contrarian to me. THIS HAPPENED SO WE KNOW NOTHING! YOU PEOPLE WERE DUMB! People did that during the base game speculation. We still predicted several things.

Suggesting characters that break Sakurai's rules and are owned by Nintendo's direct competition just because Cloud was chosen?

I'm not sure how you people viewed Cloud. It's not like he was owned by Sony. Square did have good relations with Nintendo and it's not like Cloud never appeared once.

It just seem ludicrous to me and Cloud never seemed ludicrous to me.
It's pretty clear that Sakurai doesn't give a **** about competing consoles. He has free reign over his choices for Smash Bros. Nintendo asked him to add Pac-Man into Brawl, and he declined. They didn't force him to do it. If he cared about competing consoles then Cloud, Ryu and Snake never would have been in Smash.

Who is to say that the fan made rule that characters had to be 'nintendo relevant' is any less fraudulent than the fan made rule that the character 'cannot be owned by a rival company'?

As a community, we need to stop making up these stupid rules. And we especially need to stop acting as if these fan made rules have any bearing on character selection.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, I thought this would be fun. Here's a list of the top 100 best selling game series of all time (according to wikipedia, but all the numbers are at least sourced). I removed Smash Bros. and all licensed games (including licensed sports titles) from the list. You can find the list in the spoiler box below... If you want a third party character in and they're not here, chances are they don't have what it takes. It's funny to note how many already made it in.

1. Mario
2. Pokémon
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Wii
5. Call of Duty
6. The Sims
7. Need for Speed
8. Tetris
9. Final Fantasy
10. Sonic the Hedgehog

11. Tom Clancy Series (Some of the numbers MAY come from licensed products, not sure)
12. Assassin's Creed
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Gran Turismo
15. Minecraft
16. Dragon Quest
17. Halo
18. The Oregon Trail
19. Resident Evil
20. Battlefield

21. Just Dance
22. Donkey Kong
23. Crash Bandicoot
24. Bejeweled
25. Tekken
26. Tomb Raider
27. Pac-Man
28. Lineage
29. Metal Gear
30. Guitar Hero

31. Medal of Honor
32. Mortal Kombat
33. Street Fighter
34. Kirby
35. Brain Age
36. Monster Hunter
37. Civilization
38. Megaman
39. Nintendogs
40. Elder Scrolls

41. Borderlands
42. Ratchet & Clank
43. Rayman
44. Animal Crossing
45. Counter-Strike
46. Petz
47. Gears of War
48. God of War
49. Imagine
50. Kingdom Hearts

51. Uncharted
52. Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū
53. Age of Empires
54. Castlevania
55. Diablo
56. Far Cry
57. Frogger
58. Lemmings
59. Prince of Persia

60. Simple
61. Singstar
62. Spyro the Dragon
63. Warcraft (RTS only, does NOT include World of Warcraft numbers)
64. Midnight Club
65. Dynasty Warriors
66. SimCity
67. Metroid
68. StarCraft
69. Zuma
70. Puyo Puyo

71. Half-Life
72. Bemani
73. Red Dead
74. Burn Out
75. Gex
76. Raving Rabbids
77. Worms
78. Guild Wars
79. Tales of
80. Soul (Calibur)

81. Megami Tensei
82. Scribblenauts
83. Devil May Cry
84. Myst
85. Cooking Mama
86. Jak and Daxter
87. SOCOM
88. Star Fox
89. The Witcher
90. Left 4 Dead

91. Mass Effect
92. Souls (Demon Soul, etc)
93. Ace Combat
94. Adventure Island (Master Higgins a bigger Hudson rep then Bomberman?)
95. Asphalt
96. Bomberman
97. Deer Hunter
98. Momotaro Dentetsu
99. Pitfall
100. Rockband

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom