• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Still find it really odd that we haven't heard a single word about the Ballot for so long.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, I think Sakurai stated at some point something along the lines that he didn't want to go overboard with the roster anyway due to balance reasons if I recall correctly. So I suppose in that sense, I guess he was glad the 3DS version kept the roster in check.

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
technical difficulties? it looks like it only says on the eshops...

...which is really suspicious.

D

Deleted member

Well considering the 3DS version still beats out the superior Wii U version in sales and how much bigger the 3DS install base is, it shows. Plus let's be honest here the 3DS limitations probably did more good than bad.

Transformation characters don't exist anymore and have their own character slot themselves
:4sheik::4zss: Being separated from :4samus:&:4zelda: didn't hurt them and made them each unique without being tied down to each other (Although RIP :pt:)

The much better balancing where it held back some crazy stuff (:4olimar: isn't as BS as his Brawl variant was)

And being the first and great portable Smash. Something which we would have never thought would happen and it did greatly.

Besides what did it hold back, at most was 1-2 characters, a few stages and Smash Run but in return we got a 50-man roster of strong and fun characters, over 45+ stages, multiple modes, expansive online interactions and features, customization and still features a diverse and unique roster of characters aside from the salty trio.

And plus some of those rules (aside from a few stupid ones like patterns) have held up for a long time and were even stated by Sakurai.

He's human and he can change his mind one somethings but NOT everything. He's not some crazy mad man, he's just a developer
We should be greatful we even got a new Smash Bros. game at all. Not one, but two. Ice Climbers and all those removed features can hold up for a future installment. Let's enjoy what we have.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
We should be greatful we even got a new Smash Bros. game at all. Not one, but two. Ice Climbers and all those removed features can hold up for a future installment. Let's enjoy what we have.
I don't understand when people say things like "we should be glad we gotva new Smash Bros.", do people really think Nintendo would stop making games in the series when they sell as well as they do?

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
To be fair, I think Sakurai stated at some point something along the lines that he didn't want to go overboard with the roster anyway due to balance reasons if I recall correctly. So I suppose in that sense, I guess he was glad the 3DS version kept the roster in check.
yea, but too bad the game is still unbalanced with some unfair characters, but whatever.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't understand when people say things like "we should be glad we gotva new Smash Bros.", do people really think Nintendo would stop making games in the series when they sell as well as they do?
Nintendo? No.
Sakurai? Probably.

I mean ultimately it's not up to him, but I'd wager the man is done with Smash once this DLC is done. He's said in the past (correct me if I'm wrong PushDustIn PushDustIn ) that there aren't many people he honestly feels he can trust giving the series to. Never forget, this is the guy who said Melee was the final Smash, and so was Brawl. And he's saying it about Smash 4 now.

Again, it ultimately won't be his call. But I don't doubt he'll have a hard time letting anyone else do a Smash game. We all know how stubborn he can be.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I don't think the 3Ds held back the roster. 50+ characters is an impressive number. Especially when considering the characters need to be balanced against each other in a ton of different playstyles.

If they didn't the 3Ds version the game might have released sooner or they would have taken on another project like the Subspace Emissary (which was a separate project plan at the start). The 3DS is this generations Subspace except this time Sakurai had a team much better suited to build a fighting game so they were able to handle two projects at once.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I don't think the 3Ds held back the roster. 50+ characters is an impressive number. Especially when considering the characters need to be balanced against each other in a ton of different playstyles.

If they didn't the 3Ds version the game might have released sooner or they would have taken on another project like the Subspace Emissary (which was a separate project plan at the start). The 3DS is this generations Subspace except this time Sakurai had a team much better suited to build a fighting game so they were able to handle two projects at once.
one of the things that bothered me the most (aside from not having certain iconic nintendo characters in the initial roster) is that the final number of fighters was 51, an odd number. i'd like to have an even numbered roster this time around. my ocd can't take it.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Nintendo? No.
Sakurai? Probably.

I mean ultimately it's not up to him, but I'd wager the man is done with Smash once this DLC is done. He's said in the past (correct me if I'm wrong PushDustIn PushDustIn ) that there aren't many people he honestly feels he can trust giving the series to. Never forget, this is the guy who said Melee was the final Smash, and so was Brawl. And he's saying it about Smash 4 now.

Again, it ultimately won't be his call. But I don't doubt he'll have a hard time letting anyone else do a Smash game. We all know how stubborn he can be.
That's another thing, I think that at this point Smash needs a fresh face. Sakurai obviously needs a break from the series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think this is a better time to post this if any.

What do you think?
Honestly, I saw it coming.

From the admittedly little I knew about him, I did know that Astro Boy is kind of overpowered as ****. :p Good fight though. Everything was well done I think.

Plus I can't even fault them for putting Mega Man against such a powerful character considering this fight was so requested. :laugh:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
You do realize that 90% of us don't recognize more than half the titles here right?:awesome:
Back in my day in addition to knowing ourselves we also knew our friends and our enemies and the games they played so that when we played them we could rain hot acid upon their egos, burn away their pride with the flames of gaming hell, and bring great shame to their families....

[sips 20 year old vintage tears while rocking in a chair made of his rivals broken controllers.....and dreams]
Good times.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I saw it coming.

From the admittedly little I knew about him, I did know that Astro Boy is kind of overpowered as ****. :p Good fight though. Everything was well done I think.

Plus I can't even fault them for putting Mega Man against such a powerful character considering this fight was so requested. :laugh:
What I AM more surprised about is that Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye is next. After Wiz and Boomstick already disconfirmed the match-up for the two being too similar.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What I AM more surprised about is that Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye is next. After Wiz and Boomstick already disconfirmed the match-up for the two being too similar.
That'll be a good fight I think. I love archer characters, and both of these guys in particular, but as far as who I want to win, I'm on Team Hawkeye. Expectations-wise I'm still not sure.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
The same could have been true for characters, there's no legitimate reason for that mindset, ESPECIALLY after they apparently had Ice Climbers almost finished.
The Ice Climbers were never stated to be "almost finished", all we know is they had a working prototype on the WiiU at some point, while one was never achieved on 3DS even when they went to extreme measures, like disabling all their bones that weren't absolutely necessary and disabling gravity. And considering they never got them working on the 3DS, it's doubtful they actually progressed far with them on the WiiU before scrapping them. Additionally, we don't know if they actually would have worked on WiiU at the end, when the available evidence makes it doubtful they would have worked on 8-player Smash.

For one more thing you have to consider, if the Ice Climbers would have worked in 8-player Smash and were kept as a WiiU exclusive, it's highly probable the development resources they required would have resulted in another character or two on the brink getting scrapped instead (such as Bowser Jr.). So in a hypothetical world where Sakurai said "**** the 3DS" and kept the Ice Climbers a WiiU exclusive, it's extremely doubtful we would have the same exact roster now but just with the ICs on WiiU. How the WiiU version would have turned out if the 3DS version didn't exist at all is an entirely different argument altogether. But in the reality where both versions exist, it's not nonsensical for Sakurai to scrap a character he couldn't include on both versions, when he could put those resources into other characters that work on both versions just fine, it's being more efficient with your resources to make both versions as good as you can.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like Spongebob in anticipation of this direct.

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready.

Soul.

I sometimes don't get the 3DS hate

I mean it sucks to not have ICs come back but come on. The game is still good without them

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Leak comin' in from Gamefaqs regarding the direct. The user posting this has been a member of the site for 10 years, so this is at least something:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72807721

I saw some stills from the direct, thank me later. Here is a quick run down

First Trailer

-Wolf/K.Rool revealed in the same trailer near the beginning of the video.
-Cinematic starts with Wolf in a dog fighting with Falco and Fox in Arwings,
-Cameo appearances by Krystal, Slippy and Peppy giving Fox and Falco advice.
-Leon does the same for Wolf in one shot
-All three eject from their Arwings. Fox/Falco and Wolf run towards each other Wolf, getting ready to clash. Looks very dramatic and anime-esque.
-Some kind of interupption happens I guess. Next still showed Diddy on Wolf's back with K.Rool in pursuit of Diddy.
-Donkey Kong appears as well, grappling with K.Rool. Starts one of those cartoonish fight dust clouds
-Next still showed K.Rool disengaging with Diddy/Donkey Kong still in the cloud fighting each other.
-Another shot with Peppy and Krystal conversing about the whereabouts of Fox/Falco, hoping they're ok etc etc.
-K.Rool is holding some kind of weapon. Aims it at Diddy/Donkey Kong who are still in the cloud fighting each other.
-Looks like it missed or Diddy and Donkey Kong moved. Bullets are about to collide with Fox/Falco/Wolf
-Next still showed all three using their refelctors. Oddly enough Falco doesn't throw his as he does in game, activates his similarly to Fox. Wolf's reflector looks like his Brawl reflector.
-Some more bits missing between here and the last show. Fox/Falco/Wolf looks like they're about to clash with Diddy Kong/K.Rool/Diddy Kong. Temporary alliance I guess.
-Next still showed all 6 in a 6 player battle, they aren't on teams though which struck me as odd.

Gameplay stuff

Not much I can gather here from just screenshots, so I'll just post what I can gather. There is probably alot here because numerous of screenshots have "Numerous changes have been added for the entire cast. Please enjoy" at the bottom of them. Probably won't be getting patch notes

-Not much I can gather here from just screenshots. One shot of Palutena vs Pit on Castle siege has "Numerous changes have been added for the entire cast. Please enjoy"

-Isaac Mii with an Isaac costume is shown grouped with the previously released costumes. I didn't see any other costumes, but I'm assuming there are more

-Smash Run is coming to the Wii U. Looks like Wii U will receive more enemies, but will not be receiving activates abilities like the 3DS version has.

-3DS is receiving a game mode that allows players to upload their amiibos to amiibos of other players. Winner receives gold and items for winning. Players have the option of saving the replay.

Second trailer

Bomberman is revealed, but won't be released until sometime in 2016.

-First still looks similar to the opening of Pac-man's reveal trailer.
-Multiple screenshots of him just holding bombs or players being blown up. Can't really tell much about his moveset other than it'll involve bombs.
-Recovery might be really really good. One screenshot showed him offscreen near the bottom blastzone of omega wrecking crew. Next shot showed him holding the edge.

That's all I got. Obv not revealing my source, but I can say she/he is definitely credible and has told me more information.I'll be back tomorrow with more info once this has come true. Enjoy the direct tomorrow~

Username is "Thebombs", for future reference (in case the topic is deleted) in case he's right or wrong.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, if you want to have ire at all, it should probably be directed at the 3DS itself, as it is technically the problem.
Still, I prefer the 3DS version of the game and I don't even own it anymore.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
The 3DS is definitely the better single player game of the two. Wii U's single player aspects suck for the most part tbh.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hey would you look at that, the movie list is down :079:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/movielist/

Leak comin' in from Gamefaqs regarding the direct. The user posting this has been a member of the site for 10 years, so this is at least something:

First Trailer

-All three eject from their Arwings. Fox/Falco and Wolf run towards each other Wolf, getting ready to clash. Looks very dramatic and anime-esque.
-Some kind of interupption happens I guess. Next still showed Diddy on Wolf's back with K.Rool in pursuit of Diddy.
-Donkey Kong appears as well, grappling with K.Rool. Starts one of those cartoonish fight dust clouds
-Next still showed K.Rool disengaging with Diddy/Donkey Kong still in the cloud fighting each other.
-Another shot with Peppy and Krystal conversing about the whereabouts of Fox/Falco, hoping they're ok etc etc.
-K.Rool is holding some kind of weapon. Aims it at Diddy/Donkey Kong who are still in the cloud fighting each other.
-Looks like it missed or Diddy and Donkey Kong moved. Bullets are about to collide with Fox/Falco/Wolf
-Next still showed all three using their refelctors. Oddly enough Falco doesn't throw his as he does in game, activates his similarly to Fox. Wolf's reflector looks like his Brawl reflector.
-Some more bits missing between here and the last show. Fox/Falco/Wolf looks like they're about to clash with Diddy Kong/K.Rool/Diddy Kong. Temporary alliance I guess.
-Next still showed all 6 in a 6 player battle, they aren't on teams though which struck me as odd.

Gameplay stuff

Not much I can gather here from just screenshots, so I'll just post what I can gather. There is probably alot here because numerous of screenshots have "Numerous changes have been added for the entire cast. Please enjoy" at the bottom of them. Probably won't be getting patch notes

-Not much I can gather here from just screenshots. One shot of Palutena vs Pit on Castle siege has "Numerous changes have been added for the entire cast. Please enjoy"

-Isaac Mii with an Isaac costume is shown grouped with the previously released costumes. I didn't see any other costumes, but I'm assuming there are more

-Smash Run is coming to the Wii U. Looks like Wii U will receive more enemies, but will not be receiving activates abilities like the 3DS version has.

-3DS is receiving a game mode that allows players to upload their amiibos to amiibos of other players. Winner receives gold and items for winning. Players have the option of saving the replay.

Second trailer

-Multiple screenshots of him just holding bombs or players being blown up. Can't really tell much about his moveset other than it'll involve bombs.
-Recovery might be really really good. One screenshot showed him offscreen near the bottom blastzone of omega wrecking crew. Next shot showed him holding the edge.

That's all I got. Obv not revealing my source, but I can say she/he is definitely credible and has told me more information.I'll be back tomorrow with more info once this has come true. Enjoy the direct tomorrow~

Username is "Thebombs", for future reference (in case the topic is deleted) in case he's right or wrong.

Wouldn't be surprised if I spoiled myself at this point lol XD :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

First Trailer

Gameplay stuff

Second trailer

K. Rool.
Wolf.
Bomberman.

Notice anything familiar?
12076713_10153631359064761_544159327_o.jpg

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

First Trailer

Gameplay stuff

Second trailer

Something tells me we won't be hearing from them again then lol.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

First Trailer

Gameplay stuff

Second trailer

That is a lot of detail, if fake.

I'm not holding much water, but the Bomberman part makes me think it's just tying in on the whole leak that said he was in. Weird there's no mention of Shovel Knight.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238

First Trailer

Gameplay stuff

Second trailer

it's so...oddly specific that I hope it's real

On a different note...
https://youtu.be/yfSeYwSNNtM
King of Red Lions trailer for Hyrule Warriors. His
..lack of variation in his voice clips really bother me

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

First Trailer

Gameplay stuff

Second trailer

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

And oh look an Isaac costume. Hurray for compromises...
(though not seeing any other new costumes is a bit fishy)

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Wait a freaking minute.

"Next still showed all three using their refelctors. Oddly enough Falco doesn't throw his as he does in game, activates his similarly to Fox. Wolf's reflector looks like his Brawl reflector."

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

...wut?

I think we might be Melee boys :troll:

Last edited:

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero

King Of Hyrule trailer. It's sad that it seems so underwhelming in the 3DS version. Major lack of enemies, moves seem way more boring, etc.

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238

King Of Hyrule trailer. It's sad that it seems so underwhelming in the 3DS version. Major lack of enemies, moves seem way more boring, etc.
He also appears to be lacking in voice clips.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

"Hah" "Hah" "Hah" "Hah"

Please tell me I'm not the only one that just hear's that, right?

Besides that, it's a kinda cool trailer of the King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom