• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Fun Fact: My father was actually the one who voiced the scarecrow in the episode, "Night of the Scarecrow".

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Speaking of, wasn't Courage supposed to get a reboot? Did that ever happen (apart from the short)?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I truly can't decide my favorite episode, all of them are really good in their own ways.

(Yes, even the one with the villan roundtable)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I want to do a topic for those who played Undertale.

We all know Undertale has a very good soundtrack, but if you could hypothetically replace a song with another song track, what song would you use? Reasoning would be appreciated.

For example, I would personally replace Death by Glamour with Splatoon's Calamari Incantation just because I think it fits as well and gives the same amount of energy as Mettaton EX's theme, only to a more techno electric degree. Replace squid sounds with Mettaton sounds.

I'm curious about your suggestions would be.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

We all know Undertale has a very good soundtrack, but if you could hypothetically replace a song with another song track, what song would you use? Reasoning would be appreciated.

For example, I would personally replace Death by Glamour with Splatoon's Calamari Incantation just because I think it fits as well and gives the same amount of energy as Mettaton EX's theme, only to a more techno electric degree. Replace squid sounds with Mettaton sounds.

I would replace every song with this:
It's the schizophrenic touch that will really bring the whole "art" aspect of Undertale together. Kinda like a nonsensical hipster at Starbucks.

D

Deleted member

We talking about disturbing animations and no one mentions this?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think if I posted my disturbing animation you guys would faint...

So yeah I'm doing you a favor by not posting it...

:p

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Saying impossible or never is begging you to have an argument with the fans of a character. I'd be cautious with wording.
Some things are so unlikely that they can be reasonably written off. This is one of them.

You didn't come from the future to tell us if he is going to happen or not in the next smash game.
A time machine is unnecessary in this case. Common sense and critical thinking does the job well enough.

I sorta proved that already since basically everything I said in our past arguments prior to Cloud being announced ended up being right. Sakurai and company chose a character from one of Square's franchises over Geno. Didn't take a trip to the future for me to get that one right. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How are spinoffs not relevant in Smash? The sheer amount of Mario Kart content (as irrelevant to the canon games as you can get) in the last two games is testament enough that they're not totally disregarded. Also, if you want to make that argument, I've got two words for you: Wario Ware. Checkmate.

Add in: Even though it doesn't need to be said, I guess that I should clarify that any Hyrule Warriors characters would just simply count as Zelda characters, not a separate franchise.
The WarioWare series eclipsed Wario Land after its introduction.

As for the part about characters....if the main series couldn't get any playable representation past variations of the Triforce trio, there is absolutely no chance of a spinoff getting one. And you've gotta remember that there's a pretty huge gap between each Smash, with the exception of 64 and Melee. Brawl came out roughly 7 years after Melee, and SSB4 came out roughly 6 years after Brawl. Do you really think Hyrule Warriors is going to have such a lasting legacy that it'll be chosen as the basis for Zelda content in SSB5 over the next main Zelda title?

Last edited:
I think if I posted my disturbing animation you guys would faint...

So yeah I'm doing you a favor by not posting it...

:p
This sounds like a challenge.

And I accept.

>Replacing Death By Glamour?

Excuse you?
You would replace THIS masterpiece of all songs?
*bobs head to the music*

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sorry Chernabog, looks like you title for the most disturbing Disney villain is gone thanks to Bill.
Chernabog is a scrub and easily one of the most overrated Disney villains in my opinion. I've never seen the appeal of him, even when watching Fantasia.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Some things are so unlikely that they can be reasonably written off. This is one of them.
I legitimately think that that's unfair reasoning.
It may seem impossible, but after Cloud I'm willing to think anything's possible, and I certainly think that Geno, while incredibly unlikely, still has a chance, and shouldn't be written off just because he's an unimportant character.

And plus I'm willing to think that the ballot might be the very reason for his possible inclusion, so never say never.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I legitimately think that that's unfair reasoning.
It may seem impossible, but after Cloud I'm willing to think anything's possible, and I certainly think that Geno, while incredibly unlikely, still has a chance, and shouldn't be written off just because he's an unimportant character.

And plus I'm willing to think that the ballot might be the very reason for his possible inclusion, so never say never.
Is "Cloud got in, so anything's possible!" the new "Sakurai's a troll, he does what he wants!"? Y'know, a completely lame, lazy excuse to justify nonsensical theories?

Because it's really starting to feel that way.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So you have to try to devise 10 evolutions for 10 base species....
Well hey it'd be rough in some cases, but it's far from impossible and would probably turn out better in the long run than just leaving the more popular designs to have infinite unrelated clones (Ohai Pikaclones, Agumon mimics, and alternate Jibanyans, how are you?).

Stuff like the aforementioned cats and dragons just ooze infinite potential, though. You just pop a transition phase in there and you have some two dozen routes you can go with either of them.

Something like a penguin would be a lot harder, but would still be worth it in the long run if you took the time to figure out how to make ten different uberpenguins look good.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Is "Cloud got in, so anything's possible!" the new "Sakurai's a troll"? Y'know, a completely lame, lazy excuse to justify nonsensical theories?

Because it's really starting to feel that way.
No, why I bring it up is because Cloud was a character that was thought to have almost been impossible, and was actually considered a joke in the Smash community for years. Everything changed when he was included.

Bayonetta also was a character that was thought near impossible, but not as impossible as Cloud.

So therefore I feel that anyone that originated from a video game is eligible for Smash, niche or not, and this includes Geno.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Chernabog is a scrub and easily one of the most overrated Disney villains in my opinion. I've never seen the appeal of him, even when watching Fantasia.

U ****ing wat m8? How the hell can you hate someone as badass as this? He's easily a better villain than the likes of Maleficent and Jafar combined.

And may I remind you that Disney is making a film for him soon.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
We talking about disturbing animations and no one mentions this?
I'm still surprised they allowed this, not to mention this:

It may not look bad, but the context is pretty messed up. It's made of actual humans put in a death like state to be his throne.
That's hardcore!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Being a representation of Satan certainly helps. And he does have his place in mythology, so there's that going for him.

No, why I bring it up is because Cloud was a character that was thought to have almost been impossible, and was actually considered a joke in the Smash community for years. Everything changed when he was included.

Bayonetta also was a character that was thought near impossible, but not as impossible as Cloud.

So therefore I feel that anyone that originated from a video game is eligible for Smash, niche or not, and this includes Geno.
So it's exactly the same thing that Burb said. .

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If Geno was the most voted character in the ballot, we could have seen Geno playable as a ballot candidate seeing how Square allowed Cloud in the game.

It's interesting how that would've been. Actually it's interesting to see multiple characters, what if we saw Sora instead of Bayonetta, or Layton instead of the witch. It's fun imagining the scenario.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Cloud was never a "joke in the Smash community". I've been in the community in some form or another for 15 years, and the impossible, stupid suggestion meme character has always been Goku (Shrek as well, for SSB4).

I don't understand why he's constantly being put on the same tier as Goku in these "CLOUD WAS IMPOSSIBLE, BUT HE GOT IN, SO <insert unrealistic character suggestion here> COULD HAPPEN!" posts.

I don't even see how the two correlate, anyway. Cloud is proof that a popular character with no ties to Nintendo could get into Smash, not that any random pipe dream character could. There is a huge difference between Cloud Strife and Geno.

If Geno was the most voted character in the ballot, we could have seen Geno playable as a ballot candidate seeing how Square allowed Cloud in the game.
In other words "If one impossible scenario happened, it would cause another impossible scenario to happen!".

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's... a fallacy in the "One impossible thing happened; so another can/will" argument as well.

If you won the lottery, would you then reinvest that money for more lottery tickets?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Cloud was never a "joke in the Smash community". I've been in the community in some form or another for 15 years, and the impossible, stupid suggestion meme character has always been Goku.

I don't understand why he's constantly being put on the same tier as Goku in these "CLOUD WAS IMPOSSIBLE, BUT HE GOT IN, SO <insert unrealistic character suggestion here> COULD HAPPEN!" posts.

I don't even see how the two correlate, anyway. Cloud is proof that a popular character with no ties to Nintendo could get into Smash, not that any random pipe dream character could. There is a huge difference between Cloud Strife and Geno.

In other words "If one impossible scenario happened, it would cause another impossible scenario to happen!".
In my time of speculation, Cloud was mocked when he was mentioned. More likely because the character is a complete contrast of Nintendo in terms of history with Square and Nintendo. At one point, people laughed at a leak because it contained Cloud.

Not arguing against you, just saying he was a joke to many speculators in Smash 4 speculation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Eligible does not mean likely. That's all there is to it. There's no question all video game originating characters are eligible. That's clear. But likely? Definitely not.

We don't know that. Square very well could have refused, wishing to push their character that they could actually get some use out of.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
In my time of speculation, Cloud was mocked when he was mentioned. More likely because the character is a complete contrast of Nintendo in terms of history with Square and Nintendo. At one point, people laughed at a leak because it contained Cloud.

Not arguing against you, just saying he was a joke to many speculators in Smash 4 speculation.
People saying a character is impossible or unlikely doesn't make that character a meme.

We don't know that. Square very well could have refused, wishing to push their character that they could actually get some use out of.
Assuming Sakurai or anyone from Nintendo would even care to.

And seeing as how Sakurai has said in an interview that he specifically wanted to include a Final Fantasy character, and selected Cloud (who was the most wanted one by Smash fans), it doesn't seem like that was the case.

Outside of the Mii costume and a single cameo, neither Nintendo nor Square have shown any interest in using Geno again, and there's been plenty of opportunities. In every collaboration they've made over the past decade-and-a-half, Final Fantasy and/or Dragon Quest characters have been put into Square-developed Nintendo games over SMRPG ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom