• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Super huge bump. (I'm becoming known for this) And Double Post. PLEASE EXCUSE.

New demo after a year. It's actually been tested. And should run way faster, being in AS3 now. New character and a bunch of new stages, sprite changes, physics changes, and the like.

Try it before you dismiss it as inferior to other fangames, okay?

Make absolutely sure you have the new Flash 10 or it won't work.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Excellent. I can't wait to see all the fixes and additions now!

Without much play time, this is already a million times better and very much worth the wait. Everything looks and runs silky smooth. I'll get to details later.

I want to go in-depth on all the characters but I'll point some things to start out with.

Kirby's DSmash is stupid powerful and Sora's Fair is very spammable allowing you to easily abuse it as a recovery tool for extreme horizontal recovery.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I found that almost all of Sora's aerials make good recovery tools >_>.

Also, Tower of Salvation's camera needs to extend out more. There's barely any ledge visibility and a ton of space between the camera boundary and the deadzone. This applies for a few other places too.

Characters shouldn't bounce off the front of the Great Fox's tail or at least at such a strange angle.

Some simple shading can make some places look a lot better like the Comet Observatory (which needs a better background too). Heck, Cleod (or whoever the artist is) should try drawing over it in vector instead of bitmap (since they're using flash) where shading would be so much easier to do and the entire thing would look a ton better in the process.

Shock's Hyrule Temple looks fantastic and is a fine example of proper shading and angling.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The angle of Kirby's dsmash makes it less useful for killing. I know it seems powerful, though.

And credits were not updated, but the new Hyrule is Neron's, not Shock's (he made the old one).

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
If I can make one minor suggestion, I think there is actually a bit too little dash acceleration. I often find it kind of difficult to approach for this reason.

This game seems to be picking up, though. 7 stages, admittedly, is a lot for one update.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
You mean the initial run velocity or the actual acceleration? Because personally I find the acceleration very very small.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Acceleration. I was saying that it takes too long to speed up, so it's more difficult to approach that it should be. It's a minor problem, really, so it shouldn't me much of a hassle to deal with.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
I have a feeling that you have heard this before, but I'll say it anyway.

The attacks need a little more punch and hitstun behind them. The current version really improved this over the past games, but I feel it is still not there yet.

Also, I believe if you could change the sound effects of attacks hitting the opponent to make them more....loud. Like the punch actually hurts.

That is all.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
We began on hitstun. Try Sonic. He's the only character that's finished at the moment in terms of hitstun.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Look. It's obvious you haven't even given the new game a try. Get your prejudice out of here until you do.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Don't first glance.

Also, know that all of the anime characters included have been on a Nintendo console.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Don't first glance.

Also, know that all of the anime characters included have been on a Nintendo console.
First glance is quite important, as any game developer should know.
For example, say you stumbled across this free-ware game on the internet that had the following attributes:
a) The original was terrible.
b) It is a fan-game of a popular game (how many of those work out well?)
c) It includes characters that don't belong in the theme.
d) It includes fan-made characters.
e) There are no screenshots in the post itself, I have to go to another site to get them.

Would you download this game?

From the above list, I'd just assume it was some kid who got together with his friends, downloaded a free game development program, read a few tutorials and started making a game with all of the "cool" ideas his friends and him could come up with in a few minutes.

I'm not commenting on the game itself, I'm commenting on what the game seems to be like btw.

Also, this is coming from a game developer.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
For example, say you stumbled across this free-ware game on the internet that had the following attributes:
e) There are no screenshots in the post itself, I have to go to another site to get them.

From the above list, I'd just assume it was some kid who got together with his friends, downloaded a free game development program, read a few tutorials and started making a game with all of the "cool" ideas his friends and him could come up with in a few minutes.

I'm not commenting on the game itself, I'm commenting on what the game seems to be like btw.

Exceptions exist, you know that?
Anyway, forget about SSF1. SSF2 is completely different in terms of quality, it just plays very well.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Exceptions exist, you know that?
Anyway, forget about SSF1. SSF2 is completely different in terms of quality, it just plays very well.
I don't think anyone is listening to me.
I'm not asking for people to tell me if it is good or not, I'm asking a reasonable question: Based on the above information, why should I download this game?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone is listening to me.
I'm not asking for people to tell me if it is good or not, I'm asking a reasonable question: Based on the above information, why should I download this game?
You wouldn't get 26 pages of posts for a random crappy fangame, would ya.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo

For example, say you stumbled across this black male individual that had the following attributes:
a) His father is jailed.
b) His 15 year old sister is pregnant.
c) He lives in a group home.
d) He has many tattoos.
e) He is well-built.

Would you assume that he was in a gang, and that he would mug you?
You sir, have stumbled across something called prejudice.

Note also that adding Naruto to a game is no worse than adding Pikachu. They both originated in anime and have become known for their games on Nintendo consoles.

Don't like the characters? Don't play them. Simple.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
For example, say you stumbled across this black male individual that had the following attributes:
a) His father is jailed.
d) He has many tattoos.
e) He is well-built.

Now this is just irrelevant. GrimTuesday is trying to prove a point by saying that the game's first appearance is weak. IMO SSF2 appears to have achieved a fairly large amount of popularity, which is obviously a plus for the game's first glance. However, I would suggest posting some screenshots to show how much better it looks than SSF1.

Note also that adding Naruto to a game is no worse than adding Pikachu. They both originated in anime and have become known for their games on Nintendo consoles.
This statement is plainly incorrect. Evidence that Pokemon did, in fact, originate from the GB Nintendo game

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
a) His father is jailed.
d) He has many tattoos.
e) He is well-built.

Don't like the characters? Don't play them. Simple.
Firstly, Pikachu did NOT originate in the anime. Ever heard of Pokemon Red and Blue? He was added because he was the most popular Pokemon at the time, wether that was because of the anime or not was irrelevant.

And are you trying to say to me that if you met someone with those above attributes, you'd treat them EXACTLY the same as your best friend?

It's not prejudice, it's assumption. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume the majority of people in that sort of an up-bringing and description wouldn't be the most civilized of people.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I have a suggestion - get better hit-sparks and hit sounds. If nothing else make the hit sounds match one another better. I hear a mix of Brawl, Melee, and SSB sounds, even on the same character (ex. Link). It's not bad to have a variety, in fact it is good, but each character should at least have some continuity. And as for the hit-sparks... try some that use alpha transparency or at least look a bit nicer. :)

Also, please make the run initial speed slightly higher so I don't feel like a snail when I use Lloyd!

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Now this is just irrelevant. GrimTuesday is trying to prove a point by saying that the game's first appearance is weak. IMO SSF2 appears to have achieved a fairly large amount of popularity, which is obviously a plus for the game's first glance. However, I would suggest posting some screenshots to show how much better it looks than SSF1.
http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1388

137 pages.
Go nuts.

They were in both. That's my point.

I have a suggestion - get better hit-sparks and hit sounds. If nothing else make the hit sounds match one another better. I hear a mix of Brawl, Melee, and SSB sounds, even on the same character (ex. Link). It's not bad to have a variety, in fact it is good, but each character should at least have some continuity. And as for the hit-sparks... try some that use alpha transparency or at least look a bit nicer. :)

Also, please make the run initial speed slightly higher so I don't feel like a snail when I use Lloyd!
Lol I actually brought up hiteffects and sounds just last week asking for just that. & I told Cleod about running stuff.

And are you trying to say to me that if you met someone with those above attributes, you'd treat them EXACTLY the same as your best friend? It's not prejudice, it's assumption.
No, but I would give them a fair chance. You don't know the person, you're making assumptions. That's prejudice.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume the majority of people in that sort of an up-bringing and description wouldn't be the most civilized of people.
Cancer killing society.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No, but I would give them a fair chance. You don't know the person, you're making assumptions. That's prejudice.

Cancer killing society.
Okay, allow me to propose this hypothetical scenario:
Imagine a KNOWN serial killer asks to come to your house and bring his favourite giant knife. You don't know this person, you do know he is a serial killer though. Do you invite him into your house?

If you answered 'No', then, by your own definition, you are making assumptions about a person you don't know. That is being prejudice (once again, by your own definition).

If making an assumption based on the information you know = being prejudiced, I don't see how being prejudiced is a bad thing considering we do it in every single situation ever in our whole lives.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Speak for yourself.

Now play the game, THEN report back.

I don't want to argue about irrelevant things.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Speak for yourself.

Now play the game, THEN report back.

I don't want to argue about irrelevant things.
Downloading now... will edit when I have played.

EDIT: I'm very impressed. My only complaint is that the animations could be a bit smoother.

Oh, and before heaps of people start jumping at me and going "I told you so", I never once criticized this game without playing it. My previous comments were about how the game seemed like it was going to be from the previous in the series and several other factors.

I'm guessing that the first game wasn't as good because it was sort of an underground project, but this one is more public?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Yes, exactly. This one he has a group of "developers" helping him with his decisions and giving suggestions.

I like the gameplay of SSF2 and I like the game.

The only thing I don't like about it is that there are anime characters in the game. I'm fine with game characters but anime? This doesn't make me hate the game. I still like SSF 2 and this one is way better than the first one.

They're so far from 100% completion :urg: I can't wait for the game :)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The anime characters are game characters as well. Every character at this point has appeared regularly in a series of games on a Nintendo console. (Other than fancharacters, but who likes them anyways :I)

And we're a little under halfway done atm.

The anime characters are game characters as well. Every character at this point has appeared regularly in a series of games on a Nintendo console. (Other than fancharacters, but who likes them anyways :I)

That's not what I mean. I'm saying that they originated from the show/series.

Personally, my favorite non-ssbb character is Mega Man :)

It keeps freezing while I'm playing the game. For example, I run then I want to attack so I click the attack button, but he's still running.

Is this a bug?

Falcon88

Smash Ace

A little under halfway? I would SSBC is only around a quarter of the way done, and we have lots of characters. There must be a lot of stuff we aren't seeing in the demos?

I like having anime characters, to a certain extent. I guess it's all the players' opinions. Some people hate SSBC for not including Naruto.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
^anime chraracters are fine and all, buuut its not like nintendo owns naruto/bleach or anything. if they did and their games were exclusive to Nintendo(which they are'nt) it would make more sense. or i'd be rooting for_ to be in SSB.

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
Not a fan of the anime characters at all. Big fan of DBZ in the day, and Naruto is a decent watch. It just comes back to them not fitting well I'm afraid. Despite the fact the characters functioned well in Jump Ultimate Stars. Although I do think that Luffy would be a fun character to play if you used him.

At the end of the day I feel they're wasting spaces that could be occupied with more interesting characters from video games. Characters like Pac-Man, A Boy and his Blob, hell, a fecking Tetris block would be more interesting.

Top Bottom