• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Though I doubt it's possible, an online funcion would be cool. Honestly, if you're going for a competitive flash game, you should be trying WiiWare, not Newgrounds >_>

Though, the option to map a second player to the keyboard would be cool. I think the first game had that, but I'm not sure.

Also, the demo was nice. Most of my complaints about the last game have been solved. My only problems are that Super Sonic felt slower than actual Sonic and that Ichigo sounds like he's shouting '****' whenever he attacks.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Though I doubt it's possible, an online funcion would be cool. Honestly, if you're going for a competitive flash game, you should be trying WiiWare, not Newgrounds >_>

Though, the option to map a second player to the keyboard would be cool. I think the first game had that, but I'm not sure.

Also, the demo was nice. Most of my complaints about the last game have been solved. My only problems are that Super Sonic felt slower than actual Sonic and that Ichigo sounds like he's shouting '****' whenever he attacks.
1) Planned (online mode and Wii playability)
2) Already in (keyboard mapping for 2nd player. In fact, it goes up to 4!
3) *chuckles*

Steelia

Smash Champion
Thank you for pointing out the glitches rather than complaining about them (we made on post on the spriter's resource forum and all but two members total crucified us because of the roster and SSF1! They say they wouldn't even try it!).

These glitches are the reason these demos are released: it would take Cleod9 or even the devs too long to find all the bugs without help. Cleod9 will be working on these problems Before moving on, especially those pertaining to Mario.

Anyway,before any of you ask, no, I do not know when the next demo will come out,but it should be a lot less of a wait than for v0.3a thanks to all the coding done for this demo.

Now that the demo has been addressed, let me ask you guys this: what can we do to make this game more competative for you?
Heh, no problem with the glitch-pointing out... and I think I say that for all of us, really. If we point out glitches, we're helping to improve the game, which I think is pretty cool. We know this isn't anywhere near the final version of the game, too, so we cannot complain about them as we know they'll either be fixed or made nearly unnoticable come final version (as I'm sure there are some glitches that may be unavoidable).

As for making the game more competative . . . I really couldn't say. You've added 4 player action, which is awesome. I really think that's the biggest one for me. And hearing about an online mode... Yeah, I'm all out of ideas. :p

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I just did a really brief playthrough with mario and loyd. First of I'd like to give you guys major props for attempting this and it seems like your going in the right direction.
2 things I noticed that the demo lacked and I'd like to see is:
1. Short hopping doesn't seem to be in there.
2. I couldn't do a upb in the direction I'm not facing.
3. There doesn't seem to be spot dodging. Since you got roling in there it could just be like the airdodge when you press the "s " key when shielding.

That's about all I spotted in this really brief play session. I'll post more when I played it a bit more.

Really looking forward to the next demo ^^

Puffs

Smash Ace
I like the new demo. But I can't wait to try all the new items. You only have the Smash Ball in the demo.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
v0.3b will come next. v0.4 is the demo Cleod9 said he was going to focus on items, chararcter additions, and stages.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I just did a really brief playthrough with mario and loyd. First of I'd like to give you guys major props for attempting this and it seems like your going in the right direction.
2 things I noticed that the demo lacked and I'd like to see is:
1. Short hopping doesn't seem to be in there.
2. I couldn't do a upb in the direction I'm not facing.
3. There doesn't seem to be spot dodging. Since you got roling in there it could just be like the airdodge when you press the "s " key when shielding.

That's about all I spotted in this really brief play session. I'll post more when I played it a bit more.

Really looking forward to the next demo ^^
- Short hopping is impossible with a keyboard; if you're doing it the Brawl way anyway. If you want it any other way it'd either be hard to do or break gameplay.

- I'll tell Cleod about that one.

- Cleod said it's a waste of coding since nobody will ever use it. I don't agree with him but eh, what can you do?

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Short hopping is very possible with a keyboard.
You just have to know how it's done in Melee/Brawl to know that.

The X and Y buttons are not actually pressure sensitive, but you can be tricked into believing they are.

Jumping works in Smash bros Melee/Brawl with a knee bend animation.
At the end of the knee bend animation, the code for "jump" runs.
If the key.isDown(Key.jump1) when the kneebend animation completes, you will fulljump,
but if it is NOT down when the kneebend animation completes, you shorthop.
That's how jumping works in nearly all games nowadays.

This is why it's hard to shorthop with Fox and Pichu in Melee, their kneebend animations
last only 4 frames. So you have to tap and release jump in 1/15 of a second, which makes you
have to press the button lightly, creating an impression of pressure sensitivity in the button.

I know this stuff cos I'm a programmer myself ^__^

P.S. There are complaints about a lack of spot dodging? Haha!
People can live without spot dodging, please, give the guy a break!

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, sorry we haven't updated this topic very often lately. Not much has happened since the new demo, but if you gguys have any suggestions, we are still open to them.

Any ATs/pokeballs in mind?

Ilex

Smash Ace
Duck hunt Dog!

Ducks could fly across the screen and fall to the ground when they hit a user.

How about Adeleine from Kirby as an AT? That could work.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ugh, sorry we haven't updated this topic very often lately. Not much has happened since the new demo, but if you gguys have any suggestions, we are still open to them.

Any ATs/pokeballs in mind?
Ah, that's no problem. :)

Ack, Assist Trophies and Pokeballs... A rather touchy subject for me, because you just don't know who will be made a playable fighter.

Regardless, I think a majority of characters that were Assist Trophies in Brawl should be Assist Trophies in the game (Stafy, Little Mac, possibly Saki Amamiya, etc.) while also bringing along a few other favorites (Kamek from Yoshi's Island? Could possibly shrink foes or increase his summoner's size with magic powers... Silver the Hedgehog from SONIC? Sigma from Mega Man? Just to name a few...)

As for Pokemon... if he's not made an Expansion, I could see Darkrai as a Pokeball summonable. Would probably use Dark Void to lull enemies to sleep, engulfing the stage in darkness..
A majority of the Legendary Pokemon not already listed -- Mew, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Entei, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-oh, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Deoxys (if no plans for Deoxys are made to make him a future Expansion), Jirachi, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Heatran, Cresselia, Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin and Arceus...
But mainly Regigigas I could see being a bit more unique, as he could knock out three other Legendaries with himself. He could possibly summon another Regi - Rock, Ice or Steel - to do the dirty work for him. They rain down hunks of rock, shards of ice, or spheres made of steel (respective of the elemental king summoned), and they disappear once the deed is done.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ah, yes, I forgot to ask... but how about adding a RANDOM button for characters and stages? Once a lot of Expansion characters are considered... people would go nuts just trying to pick a random character of their own! I know I had troubles with that with just Melee's roster.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Ah, yes, I forgot to ask... but how about adding a RANDOM button for characters and stages? Once a lot of Expansion characters are considered... people would go nuts just trying to pick a random character of their own! I know I had troubles with that with just Melee's roster.
Melee's random button was in the bottom left/right corners.
Unfortunately, it told you who it picked.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updating. We need some information on public opinion on a few things, and we have decided to ask you guys about a few more things. Some of the devs think you guys don't know anything about how sprites work, so when you answer these questions, please try to prove them wrong by be as in-depth as possible with your answer. Anyway, what should we do for...

Luigi's new palette?
1)
2)

Link's outfit (they have the same move set regardless)?
A->
<-B

Mewtwo's sheet (Please explain your answer for this one)?
NintendoFlash's Mewtwo (based off JUS Freiza)
CheDDar-X's Mewtwo (based off SSBKid's Mewtwo sprite)

By the way, after a lot of persuasion, Cleod9 has allowed us to do animations for Mario in a palette by Torkirby, but edited by me. Here's what we have so far (on the right are the SMW palette ones for reference):

Idle:

Jump:

Mid-air Jump:

Combo:

Side Special(Cape):

Special Ability (FLUDD)*:

*NOT a special move!

cwm123

Smash Cadet
For Luigi, Number 2. It has more character imo.

For Link, I like A. B just is his TP look, but it just looks like his clothes are faded!

We don't have permission to look at Mewtwo's second sheet, but I don't like the first one, it looks too manish or humanoid.

I hate to criticize entire sprite sheets, because I know that somebody has put a lot of work into them!

EDIT: Thanks. Second Mewtwo sheet is much better!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
not reading the whole thread, but if no one has, someone needs to give ridley a shout.

edit *reads more of thread*

well, i like link b better, he seems more realistic. definitely the first luigi

cwm123

Smash Cadet
The time for character suggestions is long gone. If a character makes it in it will be an expansion. If you want to help, give your input on this:

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updating. We need some information on public opinion on a few things, and we have decided to ask you guys about a few more things. Some of the devs think you guys don't know anything about how sprites work, so when you answer these questions, please try to prove them wrong by be as in-depth as possible with your answer. Anyway, what should we do for...

Luigi's new palette?
1)
2)

A->
<-B

By the way, after a lot of persuasion, Cleod9 has allowed us to do animations for Mario in a palette by Torkirby, but edited by me. Here's what we have so far (on the right are the SMW palette ones for reference):

Idle:

Jump:

Mid-air Jump:

Combo:

Side Special(Cape):

Special Ability (FLUDD)*:

*NOT a special move!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Luigi's new palette?
1)
2)

A->
<-B

I prefer the second Luigi... Not exactly sure why, I just do. (I just wish his overalls were more blue like the first.)

For Link... I like B. Sure, it's a bit faded, but it's a different take on the usually overpoweringly-green-colored Link we're used to seeing. :p

As for Mewtwo... That was a toughy... but I'd have to say I go for the second one, CheDDar-X's Mewtwo. It just retains more of Mewtwo's bad*ss personality, in my opinion. And he's larger... (SWEET idea with the Mewtwo Armour being a Final Smash.)

And those Mario sprites look BEAST.
I'm definitely, definitely looking forward to Smash Flash 2 now. :chuckle:

Hmm... Wonder how my Darkrai suggestion went...

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
About the Pokemon Trio: They are being made as an expansion and we are working to make expansions as functional as possible.

About Luigi: I made a couple minor edit while making Luigi's pants more purple (one of the devs wanted purple overalls for him, but mostly everyone else wanted blue). I can apply the palette to either animation, so we were asking more about the palette.

About Darkrai: Did you have a moveset ready? We'd need 3 throws, 3 smashes, 2 tilts (side is optional), a combo, a dash attack, 4 specials, 5 aerials, and a final smash (among other things, but these are the most necessary).

Steelia

Smash Champion
About Darkrai: Did you have a moveset ready? We'd need 3 throws, 3 smashes, 2 tilts (side is optional), a combo, a dash attack, 4 specials, 5 aerials, and a final smash (among other things, but these are the most necessary).
Hmm.
With that, do I supply actual Darkrai sprites with those moves/animations? Or am I supposed to supply a moveset? >_>

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
About Lucario: Not as an in-game playable character, I'm afraid. You can download his expansion though (or make a better one), but we do have Mewtwo.

About Darkrai: ayou can stop at the moveset unless you have a specific way you'd like the animations to work.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
I'll be different and choose Link's A outfit.
Ok, is it me or you can't change your air speed while performing an aerial attack? Will that be changed in next versions?
I'd address character balance, but it's a demo and the game will probably be patched to deal with that anyway.

Top Bottom