• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. to appear at San Diego Comic-Con (Special Surpise, but don't get your hopes up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And we've got multiple things. First darunia gameplay, shovel knight presence, and a hype tournament. Look at the thread title; frankly you guys expect too much and read too far into a Facebook post.

Edit: depressing on a cognitive level is a little much btw; no need to get mad
...tournament was not a suprise, the other things were not related to smash. Were we not told we were getting a Smash surprise?

I'm not disappointed with the day, at all- I'm strictly talking marketing. This is a big event Nintendo hyped- it is not 'in our heads' as fans to assume another character would/will be revealed, it follows suit with not only common sense, but marketing ploys set about in the past, and banks in on the large audience they are trying to deliver.

If they are not going to announce a character, there is no reason to for them to have been insinuating it. That again falls under the definition of teasing, which this game has done heavily in marketing, yet always with payoff- (well, I suppose a few characters would reveal that ). The goal is never to upset fans, and while you cannot always avoid it, and never cater directly to it, the goal is certainly to never outright raise expectations INTENTIONALLY only to let them down.

The footage, that said, has been fun! Tournament did rock, wish it had been today so I could have viewed the whole thing live.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'm still unsure why they gave the villager the balloon fight recovery - I get that the original AC had Balloon Fight unlockable but still - unless Animal Crossing is a sequel to Balloon Fight (after the great war against the balloon birds) I can't really sort the relevance.
If you are going to be too specific about what fighters can or cannot do in their own game, shouldn't you be questioning why the Villager is even fighting to begin with?

They made Balloon Trip into a move because it's unique on a functional level and, being a NES game collector in one entry of AC, suits the Villager. It's not so bad. It makes more sense for the Villager than the bowling ball.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
...tournament was not a suprise, the other things were not related to smash. Were we not told we were getting a Smash surprise?

I'm not disappointed with the day, at all- I'm strictly talking marketing. This is a big event Nintendo hyped- it is not 'in our heads' as fans to assume another character would/will be revealed, it follows suit with not only common sense, but marketing ploys set about in the past, and banks in on the large audience they are trying to deliver.

If they are not going to announce a character, there is no reason to even hint that they may by insinuating it. That again falls under the definition of teasing, which this game has done heavily in marketing, yet always with payoff- (well, I suppose a few characters would reveal that ). The goal is never to upset fans, and while you cannot always avoid it, and never cater directly to it, the goal is certainly to never outright raise expectations INTENTIONALLY only to let them down.

The footage, that said, has been fun! Tournament did rock, wish it had been today so I could have viewed the whole thing live.
They never said smash surprise. That's why im saying people have hyped themselves up too much. And replace the tourney with mysterious castle for all I care. I want to be wrong though.

Also bills tears energy drink confirmed

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah.

Personally, I wouldn't call myself a supporter, but being a retro gamer, I love his game. I'd welcome him, Mach Rider, Lip, or any of the classic characters joining the roster, since we got a whole host of newcomers (roughly half) this time who were born in the past decade and some of them I don't feel are representing a broad stroke of Nintendo history as Smash should.

:4villager:
In terms of a retro character, I want Lip so bad. She'd be a pretty unique fighter. I do agree with you that the newcomers in this iteration aren't really representing Nintendo's history at all, although I do feel that we are getting newcomers that have been wanted for a long time.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Last chance for a Smash announcement. I don't believe we will get one, but I hope I am wrong.

And we didn't get one.

Last edited:

gamer8

Smash Lord
That was pretty fun, highlight was Bill's tears for me. I still don't get why so many people expected a reveal here, I don't think Sakurai really even had any part in it.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Twitch stream get #rekt.

pickle962

Smash Lord
*shrugs* ehh guess we have to wait another two weeks or so before we can possibly get another reveal? (Nintendo Direct in other words)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Wow, that was amazing. Really glad that Nintendo had done that stream, we got tons of content out of it! I'm also happy we didn't get a reveal, so all of the annoying people who kept complaining about how the stream sucks and how they want a reveal can be quiet.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
If you are going to be too specific about what fighters can or cannot do in their own game, shouldn't you be questioning why the Villager is even fighting to begin with?

They made Balloon Trip into a move because it's unique on a functional level and, being a NES game collector in one entry of AC, suits the Villager. It's not so bad. It makes more sense for the Villager than the bowling ball.
Hey now - I'm not offended or upset, I'm just perplexed. I'm more in the why not camp, but I'm still unsure of it - it is a nice reference to the retro game collection anyhow.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Wow, that was amazing. Really glad that Nintendo had done that stream, we got tons of content out of it! I'm also happy we didn't get a reveal, so all of the annoying people who kept complaining about how the stream sucks and how they want a reveal can be quiet.
They'll just yell twice as loud right now though; but I agree; the stream really redeemed itself and was fun to watch

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not mad there wasn't anything but seriously:

What was the surprise?
Exactly!
I dont know.
I was actually hoping there would be something Pokemon content...

but it was easy to forget this was not a video game event.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'm still unsure why they gave the villager the balloon fight recovery - I get that the original AC had Balloon Fight unlockable but still - unless Animal Crossing is a sequel to Balloon Fight (after the great war against the balloon birds) I can't really sort the relevance.
In addition to what Hong said, balloons are also an important part of the Animal Crossing series. In addition to the obvious ones you shoot down, there's an entire furniture set for them, and even more regular balloons in different shapes and colors that aren't a part of the furniture set.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
There were a few surprises - they just weren't smash related. The holy grail of unreleased in the US, Japan only games is finally coming to the US, there's a water temple in Hyrule Warriors, NES Remix 1 + 2 are being packaged together retail, Michael Rooker is often drunk and does not read any details about public appearances, etc.

There was a ton of Smash gameplay, and this is all Nintendo of America - you should know better than to think NoA would ever get any exclusives in front of the big N in Kyoto.

EDIT-A-ROO: Now that I didn't consider, Veggi. That actually makes more sense. I really only played AC on the GC (it taught my youngest brother how to read - no joke) so it's a bit out of my mind, I'll admit, but I do like him.

Last edited:

Mistermagius

Smash Cadet
I'm sure the surprise was that they took Bill's tears and put them in a bottle. :awesome:

Now they can take everyone else's salty tears, heheh.

Hong

The Strongest
Hey now - I'm not offended or upset, I'm just perplexed. I'm more in the why not camp, but I'm still unsure of it - it is a nice reference to the retro game collection anyhow.
Oh, I know. I'm in a similar position, though I just found it odd that would be called out before the bowling ball and stick. There are so many things in Animal Crossing that can do the same thing as those two, and unlike Balloon Trip it's not like they are unique or referencing anything. Thus I found those to be the more arcane of oddities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom