• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64, Melee, PM & Wii U Super Smash Bros. Saskatchewan

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
This Saturday, Education building lounge. Be there.

Although I think we should try to snag one of the class rooms again.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to announce that the saskatoon competitive fighting community is finally becoming a reality and will be hosted at the hi-tech game traders video store which will now be the official home of the saskatoon competitive fighting community. While we are still in the early stages of the development process we are hoping to finalize all the details sometime in the upcoming weeks but be assured that this is happening and that we will get things organized very soon.

The 3 details that I can disclose with complete accuracy is that we are going to host a tournament which will act as the grand opening to this new community and we will be featuring 5 tittles in our community. These tittles include Super Street Fighter 4,Super Smash Brothers Brawl,Blaze Blue CS,Tekken 6 BR and Sou Calibur 4. We are also going to accompany this community with its own official website which will provide rankings,player profiles,a community forum and information on events and community related activity.

For more information please contact myself or the staff at either of the hi-tech game trader outlets, the saskatoon competitive fighting community is ON!

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if my input counts for anything, but you should consider adding Melee to the lineup. Just a suggestion. The turnout will be at least equal to the Brawl turnout I'm sure.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
Hmmm well we will be having 7 set-ups avaible so we could, Ill mention it in our next meeting and maybe something can be arranged. Although if we cant fit it then we will just have to go with brawl.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
As long as you'll try, I'm happy. The other Melee players will be grateful if it works out. Two of the guys that went to CAST4 with us got back from Australia this year, and they improved dramatically while they were there. I'm sure they're eager to test their skeelz.

Edit: Although, I'm also sure most of the Melee guys will be down for Brawl also.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
Well I do have a idea that could work out in everyone's best inerest. If the attendance for melee can equal or compare to the attendance of brawl then I could have melee as a side-tournament at the event. I would only ask that the melee players be responsible for the set-up's(tvs and consoles)as the other set-up's will be usd for the main 5 titles. If the results are good and enough interest is shown i could certainly see melee added to the roster of games, it will depend on how many people show and if they can provide additional set-up's needed to accomodate melee.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
I just spoke with the owner and staff and they have informed me that there main focus at this time is to highlight those 5 specific titles. When we start doing weekly casual/ranking matches there might be room for side games but at the momment the focus is soley on those 5 titles. I made a good case but I think it has more to do with space and time contraints,sorry dudes I would have loved some melee as well but we will just have to work with brawl.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
Appreciate the effort. We can always run our own Melee events at someone's house. I'm kind of glad this is happening cause the Smash scene in general was so close to dying out.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
The owner said he has been thinking of doing a smash tourny for quite sometime but just never got around to it. Im really commited to making this community work and develop the scene for these titles. On that note how many players are currently active or known in the smash scene?

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
Brawl players (people we could convince to come): Mitch, Trev, Trav, Dominic, Keegan, Scott (when he moves back), Kole plus Braden (and probably two or three of his friends whose names I don't remember exactly)
~10

Brawl competitors (people who probably would come): Myself, Cole ^, Eric, Connor, Conrad, Nate, Kyle, Rob, Llumys and five or six new guys that Rob knows that I haven't met yet
~13

And those are only the people that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are more hiding around the city. Plus some younger guys might like to enter tournaments if they're feeling brave. Who knows? Maybe there's a sleeper Brawl player in the city that just *****, hahahaha.

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
Who knows? Maybe there's a sleeper Brawl player in the city that just *****, hahahaha.
Naw I played that guy, he sucks.

The only way most of these people will actually be interested is if the tournament uses the actual rule list. **** if I'm gonna get knocked out of winners in a match on Hanenbow.
What kind of entry fee will there be? How much is hi-tech gonna skim out of the prize pool? How will the prize be split (traditionally it's 60-30-10 for 1st-2nd-3rd place, after the event hosts skim off the top)?

Embrio

Smash Cadet
The prize will be something instore, I believe it will be set by the owner and managers of the store. As far as rules are concerned Im not sure what the official tourny standards so someone will need to inform me so i can make sure we play under those rules.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
The counter pick groups are solid, but the old 5-stage list was way more balanced. The new 3 and 5 lists make Metaknight better.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Hey... I live in Saskatoon. I kinda want to Brawl with you guys, if that's okay. I'm only 15 though. And i'm terrible. Are you guys beginner friendly?

smashplaya

Smash Cadet
Hey... I live in Saskatoon. I kinda want to Brawl with you guys, if that's okay. I'm only 15 though. And i'm terrible. Are you guys beginner friendly?
Yes! Someone who may possibly be worse than me. :evil:

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
All of the regulars are beginner friendly. Some of the better players that don't play as much aren't quite as friendly, but no one's gonna be outright bashing anyone or anything.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I'm 16, and I started when I was turning 15.

Don't worry about your age.

Monty, was that directed towards me? I can't think of anyone who isn't friendly other than possibly myself.

FireRed

Smash Apprentice
It's mor than okay; it's encouraged. Don't worry about your current ability, because you will improve, if you seek to. A good majority of us are very friendly and helpful, willing to give advice should you seek it.

Saturdays, noon, University of Education Building - Student's lounge. If we're not there, it's the second-floor classroom 2010. (or 1020, I can't remember)

Embrio

Smash Cadet
Alright guys sorry for the slow flow on info, but I finally have some new stuff to report. Introducting the new official community site http://www.htarcade.com/# its still being devloped but its up and running and will be completed more and more everyday. I will be speaking to the heads of hi-tech next week and finalizing all the details such as price,dates and prizes!

After that meeting ill do a final post and report all the details regarding the scene, cheers untill then.

Embrio

Smash Cadet
http://htarcade.com/

Welcome to the Hi Tech Arcade.

It's finally here, saskatoon's new and improved gaming community. Everything is finalized and all the details have been worked out so now ill tell you guys what the new community has to offer:

7 HDTV's
7 Set-Up's
5 Titles Including Super Street Fighter 4,Super Smash Brothers Brawl,Soul Calibur 4,Blaze Blue CS,Tekken 6

The grand opening tournament will be held on november 6-7.It will be a weekend event with doubles on saturday and singles on sunday. The website is building content as we speak, but it is fully functional and the forum is up and running.

The HTA will host weekly casuals every friday from 5-10pm, with monthly ranking matches at the same time and day. Strong numbers is key in this situation, the more people the better so be sure to spread the news around.

Entry fee into the grand opening tournament will be 25$, and a membership is required to enter the HTA. 10$ will be the cost to enter the HTA weekly for casuals and ranking matches. The community will not begin untill after the grand opening tournament, it should also be noted the HTA will include other genre's in addition to just fighters.

On staff for this new scene is John,brent,Umir,becca and myself. This is a group effort however so be sure to ask any of us for more questions regarding the HTA, thanks everyone and I'll see you guys there!

Embrio

Smash Cadet
We will be testing out the TV's beforehand, we have had smash players play before and there was no report of lag.

Top Bottom