• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Game Cube Controller Available for Pre-Order

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
The Smash community rejoiced when Nintendo revealed in their Play Nintendo - Super Smash Bros. Invitational @ E3 2014 video that they would be adding Gamecube controller support to the Wii U console. The good news continues with Amazon now taking pre-orders for the Super Smash Bros. edition Gamecube controller at the price of $29.99 (It is important to note however that players will need to buy a separate adapter to connect the controller to the console as well).

How can you not love this reveal?

Replicating the classic GCN design and adding a fiery Super Smash Bros. logo on the front shell, it feels like Nintendo is taking strides to give the most complete experience to Smash enthusiasts on the Wii U.
Amazon has the release date set at December 31st, which is likely a placeholder for now. What do you think about the new Gamecube controller design?

--

Toronto Joe is an eSports lover and FGC competitor/content creator + more. He likes traveling, gaming, and also you. You can find him on twitter @TorontoJoeSSB

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Would this work with a regular gamecube? If so I'm seriously considering this. I wish they would make a Zelda one. Gold.

But Smash is good too.

Evil Idol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Evil_Idol
Would this work with a regular gamecube? If so I'm seriously considering this. I wish they would make a Zelda one. Gold.

But Smash is good too.
It's a Gamecube Controller, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Gamecube

Last edited:

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the fiery smash logo, I feel it could have been something far cooler.

That said the fact that they are continuing to produce an official GameCube controller is fantastic and I love them for it.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
If they made a fiery red and blue texture skin I would flip.

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
As much as I do like the fact they're bringing back the Gamecube controller for this game, 30$ is almost half of what the game itself will most likely cost, I'm not sure if I should get it and reaquire my familiarity with it or if I should stick with the classic controller which is a decent alternative IMO.

Last edited:

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Currently practicing on Smash on my Wii U with a Classic Controller, since is doesn't have any GameCube ports. So I'm not familar with the GameCube controller for Smash at all. Should I still get this with my game on Wii U, since it's layout is so good for the game, or should I just use the controller I'm used to?

Edit: And does anyone know if the adapter will work with Brawl?

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I saw too a Mario, Luigi and Peach GNC controls and wii remote controls in E3 Photo. There were beautiful...

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Currently practicing on Smash on my Wii U with a Classic Controller, since is doesn't have any GameCube ports. So I'm not familar with the GameCube controller for Smash at all. Should I still get this with my game on Wii U, since it's layout is so good for the game, or should I just use the controller I'm used to?

Edit: And does anyone know if the adapter will work with Brawl?
I'd say as far as controllers go, I'd say just use whatever you're comfortable with,
That is indeed a very good question, considering Brawl and Project M. I'd have to re-adapt to it considering I've spent the last year or so using a CCPro, XD.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
As long as the Control Stick is as smooth as on the original CG Controller, this is gonna be sick. Sure looks like it.

s_cube

Your favorite Smasher
Would love to see a European pre-order as well. Not on Amazon yet afaik

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Eight years from now, Smash 5 also announces this compatibility and kids everywhere marvel that they can play GameCube games with the "Smash" controller.

Calling it now...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also remember that there is supposed to be a bundle of a GC controller + adaptor + Smash4 available at some point in the future, so keep that in mind if you're interested in saving some money.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It's a Gamecube Controller, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Gamecube
They took away backwards compatibility on the wii and wii U and made some controllers have to hook up to a wiimote lol. So I can't be too sure which is why I asked. They've done dumber **** before.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Eight years from now, Smash 5 also announces this compatibility and kids everywhere marvel that they can play GameCube games with the "Smash" controller.

Calling it now...
All that internet, and people don't remember **** anymore. People hardly remember what happened last year, let alone 5 years ago. Technology has allowed us to be successful while being lazy.

Toadmode

Smash Rookie
Man....that controller looks pretty awesome. Even if it is a basic color it just looks amazing. I defiantly want that controller. :3

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm about two weeks ahead of you Smashboards, I already pre-ordered it, well the bundle that comes with Smash Bros Wii-U anyway.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i absolutley love it. i am going to by the smash bundle that includes the adapter and smash controler.

Any word on cord length?
the cord will most likely be same length as standard gc controllers, but you also have the cords from the adapter to the wii u that may provide some extra length.

Vashimus

Smash Master
As much as I do like the fact they're bringing back the Gamecube controller for this game, 30$ is almost half of what the game itself will most likely cost, I'm not sure if I should get it and reaquire my familiarity with it or if I should stick with the classic controller which is a decent alternative IMO.
Considering new GC controllers sold for double that not too long ago, $30 a steal.

Also remember that there is supposed to be a bundle of a GC controller + adaptor + Smash4 available at some point in the future, so keep that in mind if you're interested in saving some money.
While I wouldn't put it past them, they never officially confirmed this as far as I know.

Last edited:

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'd say as far as controllers go, I'd say just use whatever you're comfortable with,
That is indeed a very good question, considering Brawl and Project M. I'd have to re-adapt to it considering I've spent the last year or so using a CCPro, XD.
Just found out my Wii that doesn't read Wii discs reads GC discs. Looks like I'll have to adept to GC Controllers anyway :D

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
Considering new GC controllers sold for double that not too long ago, $30 a steal.
Huh, so before I would have to pay $60 for a game and buy a nice $60 controller to play it with? Man, living as an aristocrat must be really awesome life. :p

But seriously though, I'm still not sure if I should get one, I mean if it works with GC Virtual Console games (which it most likely will) then I guess it would be handy to have, other than that I guess it may be best to stick with what I already have especially since I can play decently enough with the classic controller.

Evil Idol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Evil_Idol
They took away backwards compatibility on the wii and wii U and made some controllers have to hook up to a wiimote lol. So I can't be too sure which is why I asked. They've done dumber **** before.
Well, they took away backwards compatibility from the newer Wii's because the Wii is what made them money, not the Gamecube Controller ports. As for the Wii U, it's backwards compatible with the Wii which technically is all that mattered. The GCN Wii U Adapter is a courtesy, something that probably would've never existed had the Wii U actually sold well.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Huh, so before I would have to pay $60 for a game and buy a nice $60 controller to play it with? Man, living as an aristocrat must be really awesome life. :p

But seriously though, I'm still not sure if I should get one, I mean if it works with GC Virtual Console games (which it most likely will) then I guess it would be handy to have, other than that I guess it may be best to stick with what I already have especially since I can play decently enough with the classic controller.
Hmph, I've never met a Smasher that didn't have at least one Gamecube controller lying around in their house, so it never crossed my mind a person wouldn't have one at all and would have to buy a new one.

The reason Nintendo dropped GC compatibility in future consoles was to keep the price low. The optical drive in the original Wii needed to be extraordinarily complex in order to accept both size discs. It was a real feat of engineering as slot-loading drives that can accept mini-DVDs are very rare. In a backwards-compatible Wii, the optical drive is the single most expensive component in that machine (more so than the CPU or the GPU), which is why Nintendo dropped that feature in later hardware revisions, and went to a standard optical drive that only accepts DVD-sized discs.

The hardware ability to read GameCube discs will never be coming back, ever.

Last edited:

Stake

Smash Cadet
Hmph, I've never met a Smasher that didn't have at least one Gamecube controller lying around in their house, so it never crossed my mind a person wouldn't have one at all and would have to buy a new one.

The reason Nintendo dropped GC compatibility in future consoles was to keep the price low. The optical drive in the original Wii needed to be extraordinarily complex in order to accept both size discs. It was a real feat of engineering as slot-loading drives that can accept mini-DVDs are very rare. In a backwards-compatible Wii, the optical drive is the single most expensive component in that machine (more so than the CPU or the GPU), which is why Nintendo dropped that feature in later hardware revisions, and went to a standard optical drive that only accepts DVD-sized discs.

The hardware ability to read GameCube discs will never be coming back, ever.
That was very interesting actually,
and YES THIS CONTROLLER LOL

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
So here is the million dollar question (that thankfully for me doesn't need to be answered for a while...). Will a 3rd party usb adapter work on the Wii U (maybe with a bit of modding) or will the official one work for a PC (with a little modding). Cuz I am planning on getting a laptop and an adapter to play PM Netplay and I don't really feel like buying to GC Adapters... Thats the price of a whole controller...

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
They should have made it look more high - end. The light gray with black looks cheap.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
All new games with no definitive release date get the "December 31st" treatment on Amazon. I'll be pre-ordering the controller and adapter sometime soon as well as the game. I'll need that adapter before I play Smash 4.

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
It would be nice if the updated the controller a bit. A bumper button over L (a second z button) would be nice. I'll take what I can get though. This is a good thing.

Top Bottom