• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS Info Thread - Risen from the dead by the psychic power of DLC

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sonic was confirmed in this Nintendo Direct and in his page on the official site, there is also the confirmation of a new Sonic stage.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I like how they mixed his classic look with the modern look. Really nice.
Hopefully he isn't such a mess to use now aha! Super stoked!

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Every reveal seems to be better and better, especially with Sonic's reveal today! I was expecting them to put him in though, back when they announced Nintendo and Sega's current partnership.

I wonder when they're gonna actually reveal a new character though.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Usually whenever a character is revealed I tend to think of a crowd of the announced characters in a room with the new announced character only just arriving. That kinda adds to the epicness factor for me. :lol:

Chido72

Smash Cadet
Really glad Sonic is in Smash 4, especially with the new Game Speed. Putting the fastest thing alive in the slowest Smash game was... questionable.
Also really glad that actual combos have been confirmed! Really hoping that Sm4sh replaces Melee for tournaments soon. Also hoping that people stop being pessimistic about the competitive aspects of the game. Tripping's gone and the game's faster, so it's already leagues above Brawl.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Does anybody know if at 00:21 Sonic is doing a upward wavedodge?
I could've done without the Sonic Hero music, but if this is a wavedoge after all then I could look past everything that has looked cheesy to me thus far.

Even Wii Fit Trainer.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sonic's new voice actor (as of Sonic Generations), Roger Craig Smith, had voice clips heard during the trailer.

(Thank God, because I love his voice work, including as Sonic! Jason Griffin didn't do it for me.)

@ 210stuna
Wow, that is interesting at 0:21. It could be either he jumped and air dodged super fast (with a super responsive air dodge), or that there is some sort of jumping and air dodging mechanic in the game.

Either way it is quite fascinating. Perhaps Sakurai will cover that soon in a Dojo update. Surely such a potentially Earth shattering mechanic would make for an outstanding Dojo update.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I could've done without the Sonic Hero music, but if this is a wavedoge after all then I could look past everything that has looked cheesy to me thus far.

Even Wii Fit Trainer.
And at 0:10 did megaman just tech land?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I've scoured the Sonic reveal video (and the first video we've gotten in quite some time) for anything else we can confirm from it, in terms of physics/etc, and there's... not much, but I'll list my thoughts:

- Teching confirmed (actually didn't realize this wasn't confirmed already, but it should come as a surprise to nobody)
- Pivot-grab reconfirmed
- Short-hopping reconfirmed
- Fall speed increase confirmed, at least for Luigi (Luigi fell faster by FAR than his Brawl persona after Sonic's u-tilt, and possibly faster than Melee)
- Combos... eh, everybody is saying they're confirmed, but I'm not quite convinced yet. The fwd/downB combo on Luigi into u-tilt was interesting, but the problem with Brawl combos was the ability to break out of hit-stun, which there's no way to confirm or deconfirm yet.
- Dash dance mechanic pseudo-reconfirmed. Pika dashed a full short dash left, then a full short dash right (which you could do in Brawl, but this seems more fluid). A single dash-dance was previously seen in a very similar style as Melee's in the Megaman vs. Mario video (I posted about that before in this thread)

Anything else I missed?

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
It looks like Nintendo went to the sonic hero intro made sonic a little bit taller and pasted him on the smash website.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Confirmed: Sonic has the fastest retreat speed in the game, just like he did in brawl.

This just in. He also bleeds!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles

Even Wii Fit Trainer.
>Implying Sonic Heroes wasn't the greatest **** ever.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
RE: the 'wavedodge' discussion:

To me, that's pretty clearly a SH + airdodge. That was possible and useful in Brawl, and looked almost exactly like that (character dependent). I don't believe this is a new tactic.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I know I'm late to the party, but just dropping in to fulfill my promise that if Toon Link was included despite the Spirit Tracks stage, I would laugh.

So this is me laughing at those people.

Let this be a reminder that our systems of logic for character speculation are virtually useless.

SuperBluey2749

Smash Rookie
Sonic in SSB4?
YEEEEEEHAH!
My life is complete. Now with Mario, Sonic and Megaman all together, I predict an epic battle. Dang this game is gonna be EPIC!!!!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Ya know how in brawl you could hold down the Attack button to spam the neutral attack, whereas in melee ya had to repeatedly press the attack button but for some characters this would start their combo?
In the sonic reveal vid you could see Pikachu performing its headbutt at rapid fire speed like in brawl at 0:20

So I guess this confirms that the "Hold A To Spam Neutral Attack" mechanic has returned.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ya know how in brawl you could hold down the Attack button to spam the neutral attack, whereas in melee ya had to repeatedly press the attack button but for some characters this would start their combo?
In the sonic reveal vid you could see Pikachu performing its headbutt at rapid fire speed like in brawl at 0:20

So I guess this confirms that the "Hold A To Spam Neutral Attack" mechanic has returned.
Except it doesn't confirm anything. You can actually spam that attack without holding down A if you mash the button very quickly.

Unless Sakurai says something on the matter, nothing is confirmed. It's impossible to judge the game's controls with a trailer.

Top Bottom