• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am up for another go at Kanto if:

It's a sequel.
The region changes somewhat but remains familiar in areas.
Backstory to whereabouts to the old style gym leaders, Oak, Blue, E4, Bill, etc.
We have access to Johto and it has changes due to time as well.

I am a Johto man myself but nobody can deny the pull Gen 1 has. It's THE generation of Pokemon: at its hypest, at its peak. It would be a no-brainer to set the theme around Kanto on their first big title on home consoles.
Yes to sequel.

We have added mega-evolutions and mega-moves (Z). Mega-types would be a great time to buff Ice types among others.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
It's almost like Gen 1 was the focus of two international phenomena that made Gamefreak a ridiculously huge success or something...
Does that really mean we need to remake it for a FIFTH time? Don't get me wrong, I love my Kanto Pokemon (just look to the left, I main them in 3/4 Smash games I play), but Game Freak needs to learn to do something else other than pander for once. Hell, it really hasn't even bothered me much. At least, up until now.
  • Gen II, Gen III, and Gen IV all have playable versions of Kanto
  • Black and White received tons of backlash for trying to do something different, which resulted in Black 2 and White 2 putting a ton of older Pokemon in it, as well as bringing all of the previous Gym Leaders + Champions + Red for nostalgia points
  • X and Y gives you a free Kanto starter at the beginning of the game, being the only starters to have Mega Evolutions until
  • X and Y forces your first encounter to be a Pidgey, and has an EXACT copy of Viridian Forest
  • X and Y has you wake up a Snorlax in the road with a Poke Flute for no reason other than "Haha! Remember when you did this in Lavender Town / Celadon City?"
  • X and Y has Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno return as roaming Pokemon, over literally any other roaming Pokemon
  • X and Y gives you a free Lapras, ala Saffron City
  • Charizard and Mewtwo, both super popular Generation 1 Pokemon, are the only Pokemon to have two Mega Evolutions
  • Have 15 Mega Evolutions more than any other generation aside from Hoenn, but it makes some sense for Hoenn to have the most due it getting a remake at the time
  • Both X and Y + Sun and Moon have older Pokemon at more common appearance rates than newer ones
  • Pokemon Go featured only Kanto Pokemon for over half of a year
  • Sun and Moon has the player move to Alola from Kanto
  • Nugget Bridge and Diglett Cave both make a return
  • The lake in Malie Garden is designed after a Gyarados
  • Sun and Moon had Red and Blue return for no reason other than "Look! It's them! You love them!"
  • Sun and Moon Alola Forms are EXCLUSIVELY for Kanto Pokemon
  • Sun and Moon has a Professor Oak clone which is literally Professor Oak but with a tan
  • Kanto Pokemon are the only Pokemon aside from Alola Pokemon to get Exclusive Z-Moves
  • 4/7 of the PokeRide Pokemon are Kanto Pokemon
  • Lillie leaves Alola to go to Kanto
  • Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon had Giovanni and Team Rocket return for no reason other than "Look! It's them! You love them!"
Look, I get it. Kanto Pokemon are the iconic ones. No other region comes close to how iconic Kanto is. No other Pokemon game has sold better than the original Red and Blue. When thinking of Pokemon, it is characters like Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo that come to mind. Not Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Arceus, Reshiram, Xerneas, or Necrozma.

But in a world where Nintendo is taking new risks and leaps of faith, such as giving younger directors the ability to make new IPs like Splatoon and ARMS, delving into new gameplay genres like in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and investing more in 3rd party support? I can't help but be disappointed.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Sun and Moon was such a great step in the right direction and really changed up the series, please for the love of god don't bring us back to Kanto game freak

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Does that really mean we need to remake it for a FIFTH time? Don't get me wrong, I love my Kanto Pokemon (just look to the left, I main them in 3/4 Smash games I play), but Game Freak needs to learn to do something else other than pander for once. Hell, it really hasn't even bothered me much. At least, up until now.
  • Black and White received tons of backlash for trying to do something different, which resulted in Black 2 and White 2 putting a ton of older Pokemon in it, as well as bringing all of the previous Gym Leaders + Champions + Red for nostalgia points
  • X and Y gives you a free Kanto starter at the beginning of the game, being the only starters to have Mega Evolutions until
  • X and Y forces your first encounter to be a Pidgey, and has an EXACT copy of Viridian Forest
  • X and Y has you wake up a Snorlax in the road with a Poke Flute for no reason other than "Haha! Remember when you did this in Lavender Town / Celadon City?"
  • X and Y has Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno return as roaming Pokemon, over literally any other roaming Pokemon
  • Charizard and Mewtwo, both super popular Generation 1 Pokemon, are the only Pokemon to have two Mega Evolutions
  • Have 15 Mega Evolutions more than any other generation aside from Hoenn, but it makes some sense for Hoenn to have the most due it getting a remake at the time
  • Both X and Y + Sun and Moon have older Pokemon at more common appearance rates than newer ones
  • Sun and Moon had Red and Blue return for no reason other than "Look! It's them! You love them!"
  • Sun and Moon has a Professor Oak clone which is literally Professor Oak but with a tan
  • Kanto Pokemon are the only Pokemon aside from Alola Pokemon to get Exclusive Z-Moves
  • Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon had Giovanni and Team Rocket return for no reason other than "Look! It's them! You love them!"
Look, I get it. Kanto Pokemon are the iconic ones. No other region comes close to how iconic Kanto is. No other Pokemon game has sold better than the original Red and Blue. When thinking of Pokemon, it is characters like Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo that come to mind. Not Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Arceus, Reshiram, Xerneas, or Necrozma.

But in a world where Nintendo is taking new risks and leaps of faith, such as giving younger directors the ability to make new IPs like Splatoon and ARMS, delving into new gameplay genres like in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and investing more in 3rd party support? I can't help but be disappointed.
You put everything I am thinking into words.

I would have hoped that after games like BotW and Odyssey, Nintendo would have wanted to push forward the Pokemon franchise as well. But I guess the Pokemon Company has other plans. To see this new game be nothing more than Gen 1 ass-kissing will be nothing short of a disappointment. Heck, that's why I loved Black and White. It was so different from the other games, and it's probably my favorite game in the series.

This will likely have no bearing on the base roster of Smash. But who knows? If this leak is real we may see Eevee as DLC.

Sun and Moon was such a great step in the right direction and really changed up the series, please for the love of god don't bring us back to Kanto game freak
I think Sun and Moon were definitely different, but Gen 7, USUM especially, left a sour taste in my mouth and seemed nothing more than panders to Gen 1 (Alola forms, Rainbow Rocket, etc.). It ended up not filling me with as much excitement as Black and White did.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I really hate this kind nostalgia pandering. Game Freak seriously needs to tone down on the Gen 1 stuff and give the other Generations some time in the spotlight.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
You put everything I am thinking into words.

I would have hoped that after games like BotW and Odyssey, Nintendo would have wanted to push forward the Pokemon franchise as well. But I guess the Pokemon Company has other plans. To see this new game be nothing more than Gen 1 ***-kissing will be nothing short of a disappointment. Heck, that's why I loved Black and White. It was so different from the other games, and it's probably my favorite game in the series.

This will likely have no bearing on the base roster of Smash. But who knows? If this leak is real we may see Eevee as DLC.

I think Sun and Moon were definitely different, but Gen 7, USUM especially, left a sour taste in my mouth and seemed nothing more than panders to Gen 1 (Alola forms, Rainbow Rocket, etc.). It ended up not filling me with as much excitement as Black and White did.
Tbh I skipped USUM, the whole slightly different version thing honestly rubs me the wrong way, they should really just do sequels

Troykv

Smash Master
Gen 7 isn't an adventure anymore, everything is so predetermined and "dramatic" compared with the first game where you at least had some control of what are you doing and how you want to interpret it.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
My thoughts on the leak and the star fox racing game is that, I think it's fake, anyone can draw a logo and say that it's from an upcoming release and people will believe it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My thoughts on the leak and the star fox racing game is that, I think it's fake, anyone can draw a logo and say that it's from an upcoming release and people will believe it.
The evidence is piling up in favor of these leaks.

And isn't a little silly to think everyone is a master at graphic design?

I know a bit about it myself and have dabbled but I have no idea how to even remotely make a logo like the ''Let's Go! Pikachu!' one.

So it's most certainly not a ''Everyone could do this" situation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why did I ever decide to post on this thread? It's cluttering up my alerts...
...Because you had something to say. Please don't random off-topic post, though. It clutters up the thread with unnecessary stuff. Thank you.

The evidence is piling up in favor of these leaks.

And isn't a little silly to think everyone is a master at graphic design?

I know a bit about it myself and have dabbled but I have no idea how to even remotely make a logo like the ''Let's Go! Pikachu!' one.

So it's most certainly not a ''Everyone could do this" situation.
Yeah. Now I just wonder what the new games are. Remakes? Actual new games, but are reusing Kanto? Who knows.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This'll be the first generation that starts on a remake if these rumors are true.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Considering the Lillie set up?

I'm betting this is just another sequel and we'll bump into her at some point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with revisiting Kanto to continue the story. They don't have to ignore Kantos forever. You can even still introduce a few new Pokemon in Kanto. You might not get a whole new generation.

But they never once promised you a new locale or a new generation. Ya'll did that to yourself.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
...Because you had something to say. Please don't random off-topic post, though. It clutters up the thread with unnecessary stuff. Thank you.

Yeah. Now I just wonder what the new games are. Remakes? Actual new games, but are reusing Kanto? Who knows.
I hope this games aren't remakes, and if they are, they better spice it up a bit.

Hey, so what ever happened to that Captain Toad, Crash, and Spyro E3 trailer leak? Is that real or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I'm betting this is just another sequel and we'll bump into her at some point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with revisiting Kanto to continue the story. They don't have to ignore Kantos forever. You can even still introduce a few new Pokemon in Kanto. You might not get a whole new generation.

But they never once promised you a new locale or a new generation. Ya'll did that to yourself.
Thank. You.

I don't know why people think it was a new game. All it said was it was a mainline game on a Console. No more. No less.

Now admittedly I would be okay with Gen 1 remakes simply to update the gameplay, but other than that.. this works.

I hope this games aren't remakes, and if they are, they better spice it up a bit.
Reusable TM's is already an amazing thing. Near limitless bag space. Just the basic gameplay updates alone makes it worth having. But yeah, I want more spice too. More Legendaries to easily get(yes, not making Mew some special event, same with the other similar ones like Celebi would be gooooooood), potential new gameplay changes, having the various modes as an option somewhere(like the Type Reversal thing). Mmm. So many options~

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

The main downfall of the speculation community:

Taking patterns as iron laws of the universe.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I would have hoped that after games like BotW and Odyssey, Nintendo would have wanted to push forward the Pokemon franchise as well. But I guess the Pokemon Company has other plans. To see this new game be nothing more than Gen 1 ***-kissing will be nothing short of a disappointment.
But we know Botw and Super Mario Odyssey had long dev cycles whereas it's entirely feasible this game hasn't had that.

Indeed all of the "2018 or later" stuff has me suspicious that maybe Nintendo has been harping on game freak to get a pokemon game onto the dang Switch already. Perhaps Gamefreak hasn't had time for innovation.

EDIT: Forgot a word.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The main downfall of the speculation community:

Taking patterns as iron laws of the universe.
''Snake was cut. So a third party will be cut. I'm betting Cloud." is another pet peeve of taking a pattern as an iron law of the universe.

Please stop using Snake's situation for any other third party character. Good god please stop doing this.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Surely it would be an almost not recognizable Kanto, as much as a complete new region, and they could add all the "steps in the right direction" they want in Kanto too.
Speaking of which, what are the right steps in Sun and Moon? I miss them :laugh: (the steps, not the games)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Legit. Kanto could have changed a lot. It could look different.

New species could have popped up. You guys are literally doing this all to yourselves.

Kanto does not equal ''Welp. I guess it's the 151 and that's that."

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Disclaimer: Since the dawn of time, my view towards Ridley has been identical to Sakurai, and it still is. As much as I love Ridley (though I've never played a Metroid game), I absolutely can't stand the obsession with him that the vocal Smash community has and the arguments for why his size doesn't matter are horrible and cringey beyond belief. Part of why I'm not hyped for King K. Rool anymore is because people won't shut up about him.

However, I love to see newcomers in Super Smash Bros just to know that hundreds of people have had their dreams made true, and I think that's going to be a huge basis for choosing characters in this particular installment of Super Smash Bros.

So I have a concept for Ridley:

Concept Basis: Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Unique Ability: Body Spreading

Ridley's appearance in this concept is inspired by Super Metroid. In this game he has long limbs, wings, neck and tail, however they are all hunched together. They are only spread and extended in order to attack. This will be Ridley's unique fight style in Super Smash Bros.

Though he has tiny wings, he has big hands and a unique forward throw where he drags an opponent across the floor with him. Also, a down aerial where he uses the baby metroid capsule as a weapon.

Roberk

Smash Champion
With the whole Kanto thing, I just want Sinnoh to get an awesome remake. Console capabilities are going to be great, but I'd be pissed if they found a way to mess it up. Like: skipping an HD Sinnoh remake to remake Kanto for the Nth time instead. I get that Kanto is iconic and that they are going to cash in on that, I just hope they don't neglect everything else because of it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Legit. Kanto could have changed a lot. It could look different.

New species could have popped up. You guys are literally doing this all to yourselves.

Kanto does not equal ''Welp. I guess it's the 151 and that's that."
To be fair, the 151 thing doesn't exist in the first Gen 1 remakes either. It had other Gen Pokemon appear within the natural game, mostly later on. Agreed with the other points, though.

''Snake was cut. So a third party will be cut. I'm betting Cloud." is another pet peeve of taking a pattern as an iron law of the universe.

Please stop using Snake's situation for any other third party character. Good god please stop doing this.
To be fair to this, many are looking at it is "if we somehow lost a 3rd party again, Cloud could be the most likely." I don't think it's a good point either. There's way too many reasons why he's more likely to come back. He's not even a Snake situation, who was not put in simply to be an iconic 3rd party option, but as a favor to a friend. For all we knew, it was a one-time favor and Sakurai wasn't making an attempt to bring Snake back because Konami nor Kojima asked beforehand. And by beforehand, I mean way early in development, not when it's almost out. Of course, I don't think this theory is... great either, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the "favor" played a role in why he was cut. To elaborate further, Kojima's son wanted the character Snake in. Snake got in. Kojima's son is satisfied. Due to this, they don't care all that much about him returning because they got what they wanted. Thus, it more relies on Sakurai caring enough to go for it again.

Yeah, the theory seems honestly unrealistic too, to be honest. It's probably just Konami saying no. But we don't know any details. Did Sakurai even ask for him back? Obviously he didn't say anything to Kojima, as that was made clear some time back. But that's all we have for information and small details to make theories about.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
To the nay sayers against ivysaur and squirtle. Here you go. You should have should have factored in Pokémon go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To the nay sayers against ivysaur and squirtle. Here you go. You should have should have factored in Pokémon go.
You are aware that the reason many didn't expect them to come back isn't just cause they're Gen 1, right?

It's well beyond that. First, that's a lot of Pokemon already. Some don't want it to have an extreme amount of characters(some don't mind, and that's fine too). Second, some like the current setup. A third is both Ivysaur and Squirtle are just not on the level of Charizard and actually wouldn't have gotten in if it weren't for Pokemon Trainer. Ivysaur nor Venusaur was even on the plate. It was just Blastoise as is. And Blastoise wasn't feasible for PT's main gimmicks(which is to show off what training is all about, including evolution levels, the strategy of switching Pokemon, and type weaknesses/strengths). And the most usual part is the silly belief that there's some arbitrary limits on types. One special mention otherwise goes to Ivysaur that he needs more work to be made playable again. Besides balancing as is to work better without the type weaknesses(as just removing those isn't really a big buff as that's not the only issue with it) is the Tether Recovery, which is unfeasible as an Up B. Also needs an all-new Down B that fits. And both new moves need to fit its playing style too.

Squirtle is easier to come back in comparison, obviously. Less work. To say the least, they could absolutely come back, sure. But relevancy alone isn't all there is to it. They need reworking first and foremost. The "gen 1 thing" can easily be ignored, under the assumption that Sakurai doesn't care(which IMO, I don't think he does). However, I'm not so sure they have that great of a chance when Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Charizard are just vastly more popular. It's not hard to think that Sakurai doesn't want the Pokemon playables to be super high. He still has made a clear attempt to balance out representation of the roster and content to not oversaturate everything. It doesn't always work, but he does clearly care about it. So him only adding two Pokemon(or maybe three) outside of the Smash 4 cast wouldn't be weird either.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To be fair, the 151 thing doesn't exist in the first Gen 1 remakes either. It had other Gen Pokemon appear within the natural game, mostly later on. Agreed with the other points, though.
FRLG isn't the best example if I'm to be honest since it basically restricted you to the base RBYG experience and locked a lot of new elements such as new Pokemon, post-gen evolutions, egg moves and the like away from the game until you beat the league. It was essentially just Gen 1 with new mechanics and updated graphics, with the only major deviation being the addition of the Sevii Islands.

If we're revisiting Kanto, I feel if they want these games to have a newer feel, a different direction from the remakes should be taken. I don't think a lot of people would complain about getting a Crobat for instance, so allowing things like that into the game would only serve to its benefit.

I feel like the post Vergeben links in his post there hurts his credibility. Tails, Zero and Phoenix Wright? Snake and Noctis with Cloud? Simply too hard to believe.
To be fair, he does say it's from a different source, so Ridley being correct wouldn't confirm those characters being correct and vice versa.

With that said, I don't disagree since having a rumor like that doesn't make him look believable and at least brings his filtering process into question. The only reason I'm keeping it in mind is because his rumor fits with what's being stated by the Resetera hints and he has gotten some things right, even if his record is still rather spotty.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The more we here about Smash Switch, the more I think every veteran ever is going to come back in this game and newcomers will be kept at a minimum. I'm sure will still get a fair amount but I think newcomers will mostly be a few very big hitters more so than several less significant but still cool ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FRLG isn't the best example if I'm to be honest since it basically restricted you to the base RBYG experience and locked a lot of new elements such as new Pokemon, post-gen evolutions, egg moves and the like away from the game until you beat the league. It was essentially just Gen 1 with new mechanics and updated graphics, with the only major deviation being the addition of the Sevii Islands.

If we're revisiting Kanto, I feel if they want these games to have a newer feel, a different direction from the remakes should be taken. I don't think a lot of people would complain about getting a Crobat for instance, so allowing things like that into the game would only serve to its benefit.
I'm just saying it wasn't just "Red/Blue with new paint", that you could actually get stuff beyond that. I expect that again if it's a remake.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The more we here about Smash Switch, the more I think every veteran ever is going to come back in this game and newcomers will be kept at a minimum. I'm sure will still get a fair amount but I think newcomers will mostly be a few very big hitters more so than several less significant but still cool ones.
Yeah, I kinda feel that newcomer speculation gets out of hand, especially on the 3rd party front

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm usually a pretty anti-Gen 1 pandering guy. But Rainbow Rocket and running into adult Red and Blue was super cool. (WHERE GREEN AT THOUGH?!)

The alola forms are an awesome concept but the Gen 1 exclusivity hurt me a lot.

I'm ok with a Gen 1 sequel being what we get for Switch. Its not what I want (Gen 4 remake) or what I asked for but if its changed like others have suggested then I think it could be cool.

If its just the story of Red again I'm not gonna be happy though. I better see some new megas and other gen 'mons being pulled in somehow if they go this route or I may finally drop my favorite series of all time.

Most (NOT ALL DON'T HIT ME) Genwunners have stopped playing Pokemon. Thats why they are such hardcore Genwunners. Stop focusing all your marketing to them Gamefreak/Nintendo/whoever the hell is in charge of that nonsense.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
can game freak focus on other generations instead of gen 1? its like they are trying to satisfy the genwunners.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cutting down attention on newcomers and focusing on getting back the likes of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Pichu would be a waste of Sakurai's time. Because those characters? They're not gonna sell a new addition to the series. Sorry to their fans but it's the hard core truth.

The only cut veterans with any true clout to selling a title based on return are Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. And the first one? That's probably not gonna happen sadly.

Newcomers sell the series and always have. Even with an ''ultimate roster" I wouldn't expect anything more than three above to return. Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back on their own is unlikely.

The trainer concept while nice, would just make Charizard the most popular Pokemon of the bunch feel odd being mushed back into a concept after being alone in the last game seem weird.

Young Link is redundant because Toon Link is essentially Young Link.

And Pichu is a failed experiment in trying to make another Pikachu like success by Game Freak. Let alone the series only true joke character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cutting down attention on newcomers and focusing on getting back the likes of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Pichu would be a waste of Sakurai's time. Because those characters? They're not gonna sell a new addition. Sorry to their fans but it's the hard core truth.

The only cut veterans with any true clout to selling a title based on return are Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf. And the first one? That's probably not gonna happen sadly.

Newcomers sell the series and always have. Even with an ''ultimate roster" I wouldn't expect anything more than three above to return. Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back on their own is unlikely.

The trainer concept while nice, would just make Charizard the most popular Pokemon of the bunch feel odd being mushed back into a concept after being alone in the last game seem weird.

Young Link is redundant because Toon Link is essentially Young Link.

And Pichu is a failed experiment in trying to make another Pikachu like success by Game Freak. Let alone the series only true joke character.
The funny part is? Jigglypuff was meant to be that in Smash 64. She wasn't bad till Brawl. Which is right after Pichu got cut. It took the joke character being removed for her to even remotely become a joke. What a tweest!

And yeah, pretty much. They aren't sellers. They'd be fun vets, and if they actually return all vets via DLC as some kind of ultimate Smash game, that'd be great! But other than that, those 4 have too much going against them. Pichu feels like it could have a tiny chance on its own compared to the other 3, but only because it had a useful but unused gimmick and actually could be changed up akin to Roy. Except the issue is the lack of extreme popularity(not that it doesn't have it at all, just Melee really did not help it any. In a twist, the crossover game it got into only hurt the opinion of the character. Made even worse by the only DLC of it in an actual Pokemon game where it was just really really bad with terrible stats, moveset, and the inability to actually evolve or gain better moves in any way. This didn't help either). I don't think they could feasibly bring any of the 4 back at this point without causing issues. Young Link has the whole "masked link" idea, sure, but that isn't feasible due to transformations being cut and that would be 4 movesets too(if Fierce Deity isn't just a quick animation or very limited in attacks akin to Super Sonic, anyway, but even then, that's still more to do).

Feasibly, all 3 Pokemon are easier to bring back than Young Link. Realistically, they have a lot riding against them.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
UUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH! The lack of news is KILLING ME! Why can't E3 come quicker?

In terms of the Pokemon leak, I really don't want it to go back to Kanto. Even if all the pokemon from all the generations are gonna be in the game, it will still be dissapointing since most people already know just about everything of Kanto. We know who the gym leaders are, team rocket, locations, main story, etc. I want something new.

Although if they somehow made it where Kanto changed drastically and became basically a Gen 8 with new pokemon and locations, I'll be down for that. Other than that, I probably won't buy it.

The title is also pretty bad. Pokemon - Let's go Pikachu? Pikachu and Eevee version? Sounds like a spin off in honest sense.

It'll be a let down since every other franchise seems to change or bring something new but Pokemon is still stuck back.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly, this could be a new game/ continuation.

There probably will be 'new' Pokemo, by that I mean Kanto versions of guys we know along with some brand new pokemon.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm just saying it wasn't just "Red/Blue with new paint", that you could actually get stuff beyond that. I expect that again if it's a remake.
Main story, it functionally was if I'm to be honest, especially if we're talking about the Pokémon options. The only time you were allowed to get non-Gen 1 Pokemon was once you beat the league, beforehand there were no new Pokémon in the main game and if you wanted any other Pokémon you were out of luck.

-Evolution? Nope, they block it.
-Pre-evolutions? No, you can't breed.
-Transferring? Unless you traded it to a completed FRLG cartridge that wasn't an option.

And so on and so forth. FRLG are counterexamples to what your point is since they're loyal to the originals to a fault, and if these new games are like FRLG then the criticisms would be right in that case since it would be 'original 151 or bust' until you've completed the game like people have been worried about.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Snake has the most bonker ass reasons for being cut. Really all of the reasons we’ve come up with for Snake being cut is speculation. We may never know why he was actually cut.

That doesn’t really have any consistency to happen to another 3rd Party character. Unless Square goes off the deep end, I think all of the 3rd parties are safe.
I hope so. If Snake comes back I’ll will straight lose my ****.

I guess this belongs in the Unpopular Opinion Thread but I really wouldn’t mind if that were the case. Actually, I’m all for Smash becoming a game as a service like other games. As long as the DLC is reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom