• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Jigglypuff is 100% a low priority character. There's a reason why Puff was one of the 3 characters to not be featured in Subspace (4, if you count Sonic). And who were the other three? Sonic, Toon Link, and Wolf: one extremely popular character that was added later in development out of fan demand after Snake's reveal and two easy to add last minute clones. Fortunately for Puff, she's also an easy character to add, and seniority will help keep her from being completely ditched. But she definitely isn't immune to being cut due to time constraints.
Sonic's role in the Subspace Emissary may not be much, but it was important, as he did damage Tabuu's wings. Whereas, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were not involved in the Subspace Emissary's main story in any way.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
That’d be cool. Be even cooler if Cranky and Funky are playable in Smash imo. I’m neutral on Dixie and K.Rool. I’d be far more hyped for Cranky and Funky.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually, weirdly enough, Cranky Kong might have an edge over Dixie Kong and Funky Kong, since he couldn't play similarly to pre-existing DK characters.

also page 1111, cool

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I want Jigglypuff's up special to be an actual recovery move.
And this is the main thing I dislike about all these revisions. It reminds me of that one time I saw a dogpile on changing Yoshi's moveset, directed entirely by people that don't actually play Yoshi and don't understand the character.

D

Deleted member

Actually, weirdly enough, Cranky Kong might have an edge over Dixie Kong and Funky Kong, since he couldn't play similarly to pre-existing DK characters.

also page 1111, cool
It wouldn't really make sense for Funky to play similarly to DK anyway. Yeah, they have a similar build, but a lot of DK's moves wouldn't really fit him do to how he's typically upright.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
And this is the main thing I dislike about all these revisions. It reminds me of that one time I saw a dogpile on changing Yoshi's moveset, directed entirely by people that don't actually play Yoshi and don't understand the character.
I kind of agree, but I can see where they're coming from. There are probably people who like Jigglypuff or Yoshi as a character, but don't like how they are implemented in Smash or can't adapt to their playstyles. It's disappointing to have a character you support actually be playable, but you can't play as them.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I kind of agree, but I can see where they're coming from. There are probably people who like Jigglypuff or Yoshi as a character, but don't like how they are implemented in Smash or can't adapt to their playstyles. It's disappointing to have a character you support actually be playable, but you can't play as them.
Here's the thing, though. Both of them have playstyles that fit the character (with the exception of Rest memery). Doing things like giving characters with powerful, unconventional recoveries more conventional up specials does nothing but make them more like everyone else. Not being able to adapt to that style is a personal deficiency, not a basis for revision.
There is no case for making a significant change to Yoshi as far as I am aware, and the only legitimate case for Puff is updating her to reflect the Fairy typing. Personally, I think doing so would be needlessly changing a well-designed character (aside from needing buffs), but it's not unfounded.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Can’t say I agree. He’s had mad hype even before then and the fact he still got held back puts me at doubt. Yeah, Mewtwo should be in the base roster, but it bein very popular isn’t that strong of an argument when it has been low priority more than once.
It’s almost as if things can change over time and he can be higher priority this time.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

also page 1111, cool
If anything, playing similar to another character would probably give those two an edge as last minute clones.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can’t say I agree. He’s had mad hype even before then and the fact he still got held back puts me at doubt. Yeah, Mewtwo should be in the base roster, but it bein very popular isn’t that strong of an argument when it has been low priority more than once.
In Brawl, priority wasn't that big of an issue, it's just Sonic's inclusion really mixed things up. They really weren't prepared for any major cuts.
In Smash For, any veteran who didn't appeared in Brawl was low priority, since they couldn't bring any data from Melee.

Mewtwo was unlucky, if anything else.

If anything, playing similar to another character would probably give those two an edge as last minute clones.
They are still pretty different then Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong. I think they might be in an awkward position in terms of character design, like Chrom.
then again, what do I know

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's entirely possible that we get no new DK characters whatsoever.

Because that's the cruel universe we live in.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The reveal of Wii Fit Trainer was close to breaking dimensional barriers.
A surreal experience that cultivated such outrage. From a yoga instructor out of all occupations.

Truly amazing.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It wouldn't really make sense for Funky to play similarly to DK anyway. Yeah, they have a similar build, but a lot of DK's moves wouldn't really fit him do to how he's typically upright.
Yeah, Sakurai surely wouldn't make Funky a clone of DK, because he has aspects that help set him apart. There is no way he is going to make a character a clone of someone simply because they have a similar build. :ganondorfmelee: And it's not like Sakurai would make a clone of someone if it doesn't accurately reflect the way they fight in their games. :4lucina: No Funky needs to be unique because he stands more upright.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
There's no reason for Jigglypuff to not have a recovery up special, seeing as literally every other character has one, and that's kind of the point of an up special. It doesn't matter to me if just they make Sing raise Jiggs up a bit if it uses it in the air.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
There's been terribly unfitting clone characters before : :4lucina:
Her sword shrinks.
Edit: :4greninja:'d, whoops.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's been terribly unfitting clone characters before : :4lucina:
Her sword shrinks.
Edit: :4greninja:'d, whoops.
I'm like 99% sure her Falchion isn't smaller than Marth's. She's just slightly shorter than him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I watched a Japan Time a podcast about smash recently and people talked about replacing Cloud with the guy from FF15.

My thoughts on this can be summed up with this video

Geno being added would be nice though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Being that Awakening was what got me into FE, I'm still really disappointed that Lucina ended up being Smash 4's most copy and paste clone. Even Dark Pit has more substance to him compared to her!

And the worst part? She doesn't even fight like Marth in the game she comes from! I'm honestly surprised Sakurai didn't see this, as he's said in interviews that he played through the game and really enjoyed it. For goodness sake, he didn't even use any of her animations from Awakening for her taunts or idles.

My biggest wish for FE in this Smash isn't any new characters, no; my biggest wish for the FE cast is a de-cloned Lucina. It'd be such a waste to just leave her how she is...

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'm like 99% sure her Falchion isn't smaller than Marth's. She's just slightly shorter than Marth.
I meant compared to her canon character. Her Falchion is supposed to be a two handed sword and shrinks to the size of Marth's Falchion in Smash for the sake of being a clone. It's normal sized in her render, but the in game model has the shrunk down Falchion. Of all the clones, she's the laziest by a big margin. Not that I'll complain about "free dessert."

My biggest wish for FE in this Smash isn't any new characters, no; my biggest wish for the FE cast is a de-cloned Lucina. It'd be such a waste to just leave her how she is...
De-cloned/Luigified Lucina is my most wanted character overall. She has so much potential, even more with Heroes. At least change her stance to her canon stance.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I meant compared to her canon character. Her Falchion is supposed to be a two handed sword and shrinks to the size of Marth's Falchion in Smash for the sake of being a clone. It's normal sized in her render, but the in game model has the shrunk down Falchion. Of all the clones, she's the laziest by a big margin. Not that I'll complain about "free dessert."

De-cloned/Luigified Lucina is my most wanted character overall. She has so much potential, even more with Heroes. At least change her stance to her canon stance.
It would be interesting if they made her similar to what Chrom was thought to be, a mix between Marth and Ike. Using moves and animations from both, with a couple unique to her, making her a semi-clone on par with Wolf would be super cool.

On the other hand it would be a huge FU to Chrom supporters as that's the reason he didn't get in lol.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Not that I'll complain about "free dessert.".
Okay, this has nothing to do with anything but I just figured out why I don't like the free dessert metaphor. It's because the free dessert isn't optional here unlike in a restaurant, you can't avoid it. Dark Pit is less like a free Ice Cream plate to the side and more like if somebody slapped some ice cream onto the grilled cheese sandwich I was going to eat for dinner. Did I get more for free? Yes. Is this necessarily a good thing? No.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My thoughts on Pokémon cuts and sonic

1 the only Pokémon in danger this time is greninja mewtwo failed twice for the same reason didn't finish him in time but this time they got him with a loop hole wi dlc with the repairs from last time I think he's safe this time as non dlc and jigglypuff is safe forever since she's made it all 4 times part of the original twelve

By the way your all wrong it's not twice mewtwo failed it's thrice he was planned for smash 64 originally.

2 sonic is the one and only 3rd party safe usually when a character makes it twice in a row they are considered I'm staying forever catergory characters and sonic did have a important part in the sub space story and that's destorying taboos wings so he's weakened enough to be attacked.

Does anyone else care to make some predictions for what we'll see revealed at E3?

Personally, I'm calling:
  • Inkling gameplay
  • Captain Toad
  • Returning character (Wolf/Ice Climbers)
  • Third Party (Rayman/Bomberman, probably, but Sora, Crash, or Steve would create buzz)
  • Big-name first party (Pokemon/Legend of Zelda/Metroid/DK/Animal Crossing character)
That would be 4 newcomers including Inklings, and one returning veteran. I could also see them revealing one more character, but I'm not counting on it.
For the big names part probably king k rool or Ridley (one can dream)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It would be interesting if they made her similar to what Chrom was thought to be, a mix between Marth and Ike. Using moves and animations from both, with a couple unique to her, making her a semi-clone on par with Wolf would be super cool.

On the other hand it would be a huge FU to Chrom supporters as that's the reason he didn't get in lol.
I would rather have Chrom ngl-

If I paid 60$ for something is it "Free Dessert"?
If you pay for a 60 Dollar menu that says that there a free drink, but you only want the free drink and at the end the chef comes and says "Here a free drink on the house", you didn't paid for it.
Even if it's what you wanted.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Okay, this has nothing to do with anything but I just figured out why I don't like the free dessert metaphor. It's because the free dessert isn't optional here unlike in a restaurant, you can't avoid it. Dark Pit is less like a free Ice Cream plate to the side and more like if somebody slapped some ice cream onto the grilled cheese sandwich I was going to eat for dinner. Did I get more for free? Yes. Is this necessarily a good thing? No.
That's subjective. It's not dessert for you, but it certainly is for me. I love Dark Pit. I would've enjoyed the game far, far less if DP and Lucina were not there.

If I paid 60$ for something is it "Free Dessert"?
You never paid for the dessert, you paid for the meal, then got the dessert. That was the point of the metaphor.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That metaphor only works for the devs. No character in the base game is any "freer" than any other for the consumer.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
That's subjective. It's not dessert for you, but it certainly is for me. I love Dark Pit. I would've enjoyed the game far, far less if DP and Lucina were not there.
Yeah but I can't avoid the dessert even if I don't want to eat it, so it's not necessarily a good thing, whether it's good or bad depends on our tastes, that's what I was trying to say.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
In between last week's Smash's developer leak, Star Fox Grand Prix, and now Pokemon Let's Go, Nintendo is probably not too happy about all of these leaks mere weeks before their E3 showcase.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My only problem with the dessert analogy is that everyone likes desserts but not everyone likes :4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:. Maybe something more fitting could be used as an analogy.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Look, "free dessert" or not, I'm not asking for specific characters to be clones. If Sakurai can help it, I'd like every newcomer to be made with the intention of being unique. Delegating characters to a clone just because there isn't enough time to make them unique is something I'd like Sakurai to avoid, and honestly, I'd rather wait 4-6 years for another shot at getting the character instead of having another Falcondorf scenario where said character is permanently ruined.

Now if the character Sakurai wants to add will be completely irrelevant by the next Smash game (current Gen Pokemon, Zelda character, FE character, etc.), then I might be a little more understanding in his decision to add them as a last-minute clone. I won't be happy about it, but it's better than never getting the character at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom