• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So far I got Star Fox racing game from Retro(what?) and more Kanto Pokemon Remake Switch rumors(Kanto again...) anything else I missed?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
upload_2018-5-15_17-28-12.jpeg

My roster attempt. I tried to make it a prediction. Mostly prediction, just somewhat biased. Couldn't find a modern profile of celica. Yes, I think Joker is somewhat likely. I was convinced by Bradll Wartooth. The cloud predictors were laughed at too. I struggled with shovel knight vs shantae for a while. I agonized over leaving out ray mk III but I just couldn't justify him in a prediction.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Sakurai surely wouldn't make Funky a clone of DK, because he has aspects that help set him apart. There is no way he is going to make a character a clone of someone simply because they have a similar build. :ganondorfmelee: And it's not like Sakurai would make a clone of someone if it doesn't accurately reflect the way they fight in their games. :4lucina: No Funky needs to be unique because he stands more upright.

Completely ****ing natural

Next time give me a good counterargument.
Only way a majority of DK's moves would really flow right is if Funky copied his exact stance and movements due to how they are basically tailored to DK's primal, hulking mannerisms.
And the result is something that's even more off than Ganondorf or Lucina ever were.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

Only way a majority of DK's moves would really flow right is if Funky copied his exact stance and movements due to how they are basically tailored to DK's primal, hulking mannerisms.
And the result is something that's even more off than Ganondorf or Lucina ever were.
It does actually look pretty natural to me. As someone who's not a big fan of the series and doesn't know much about Funky, I wouldn't bat an eye at this if it were in the game.

D

Deleted member

You can give him a different ideal stance and still have them play similarly, look at Wolf.
No, no you really can't.
As I said in the edit:

And Wolf is a terrible example, considering he was actually given his own style with only the Specials (and Final Smash) having a similar basis (though working much, much differently).

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I can't see Funky getting in the base roster, honestly.

I believe the only way he'd be added is as a last minute clone, but I highly doubt Sakurai would add Funky as a clone.

It's not even that much about canon, it's just that Funky would look completely off with almost all of DK's moves or poses. You could get away with a few of the standing up moves but it otherwise doesn't work at all and I don't think Sakurai would look at it and think it works either. If shrinking Ridley would somehow be so off to his character then making Funky go on all fours would just be silly.

I've never even seen Funky not standing up. He's a strictly bipedal character. It feels so wrong and uncomfortable seeing him as anything but that.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Okay. I haven’t been on in a few days. Can someone give me a quick run down of what’s been being discussed?
Bandai Namco- A developer working for Bandai Namco in Japan tweeted a response to the Smash Invitational Player video saying that he made the new rendering engine for the game. The same day that tweet and his entire Twitter account were gone without a trace. Usually, true leaks are taken down, so it seems that the new Smash on Switch will have a new rendering engine, basically new graphics. Doesn't say anything about the physics engine though. While it's a new rendering system, we should keep in mind that Splatoon 2's assets were built from the ground up but still looked like Splatoon 1, it could look a bit nicer but still just be Smash 4's style. This leak also points to Bandai Namco assisting game development.

Star Fox Grand Prix- Over the weekend a few images circles 4chan consisting of a logo for an unannounced "Star Fox Grand Prix" title with some descriptions of how the game would play: like a mix between Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero. This leak really gained traction on Monday, May 14th, on more mainstream social media and game journalism sites. Potentially: Diddy Kong Racing's story mode with boss battles and such with F-Zero speed and style while using the Star Fox IP.

Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go! Eevee- Following the last few months of leaks saying that Pokemon on the Switch will be in Kanto, leaks about the potential games specifically started to circulate this week. Apparently, the games will be remakes of Pokemon Yellow and will feature Pikachu and Eevee as starters. They will also take nods from the immensely popular poorly made fad Pokemon Go (as seen in the titles) in some ways.

I think that's everything worth actually talking about, Emily Rogers cross-"confirmed" with some other leakers about the Star Fox and Pokemon stuff I think. Emily also said yesterday that the Pokemon games will be announced by the end of May or "very soon", so maybe that can end our Direct drought. Nintendo said they would only focus on 2018 stuff at E3 and if Pokemon is 2019 then it makes sense to get an announcement out.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
You can give him a different ideal stance and still have them play similarly, look at Wolf.
I'll look at Wolf if you try playing him

Completely ****ing natural.

I think there's a good chance that there would still be a massive amount of overlap in their moves. For example, fair, dair, and bair all work pretty easily with nothing more than slight changes in animation.

Lanky would be way better mechanically, though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Even if the Pokemon Leak is real, I think its far to late for a Gen 1 remake/reimagining to impact Smash Switch's roster. If the previous pattern of project plans is to be believe, the project plan and roster would've been completed by mid 2016, before Sun and Moon were even released

D

Deleted member

It does actually look pretty natural to me. As someone who's not a big fan of the series and doesn't know much about Funky, I wouldn't bat an eye at this if it were in the game.
That's the problem.
To anyone who's played a DKC game, it wouldn't look right.

It would be just as natural to them as Rosalina moving and fighting like Peach would be to the Mario fans.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
That's the problem.
To anyone who's played a DKC game, it wouldn't look right.

It would be just as natural to them as Rosalina moving and fighting like Peach would be to the Mario fans.
That may be true, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it happened. But like with Ganon and Falcon, they could easily have differently shaped bodies/size and still have him be a clone.

Edit: KingBroly KingBroly I don't think any of the current leaks are even worth talking about right now, they're all pretty bad.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Now, what I could see them is them pulling another Wolf. Taking Donkey Kong's model and changing it up but using it as a base. That has some potential. But otherwise, there's no way he could be a regular clone. It's either "doesn't feel like a clone" or not reusing the assets really at all. Maybe the core bodyframe at best.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm gonna say it right now. If what Emily says is true--that most people would be happy with the roster--then my most wanted character wouldn't be there because his reveal would have Sakurai's head on a spike the next day...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even if the Pokemon Leak is real, I think its far to late for a Gen 1 remake/reimagining to impact Smash Switch's roster. If the previous pattern of project plans is to be believe, the project plan and roster would've been completed by mid 2016, before Sun and Moon were even released
Pretty much. DLC is more realistic, same for FE Switch (outside of a last-minute clone or something)

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Funky Kong has the exact same frame as DK, you just have to stand him up. You could use the exact model and just change his posture. All DKs moves make sense to the point where I could see DK being revamped entirely and Funky inheriting his moveset with the surfboard being chucked into a taunt and his Up+B.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm gonna say it right now. If what Emily says is true--that most people would be happy with the roster--then my most wanted character wouldn't be there because his reveal would have Sakurai's head on a spike the next day...
Wait did Emily post a rumor abut the Smash roster or something?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So after the past few days of discussion I have deduced that we are getting Smash Bros Grand Prix on the Nintendo Switch featuring Pokemon Go elements and a Funky Mode.

:p

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Same here. Considering my most wanted are Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Zelda characters. Have little hope for Zelda characters and Xeno/FE will get the "more anime >:(" crowd in a frenzy.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
At this point, more non-stop Gen 1 pandering with forced Pokemon Go mechanics sounds like such a god awful idea that it seems exactly like something right up Game Freak's alley. After nearly two full generations of Gen 1 **** sucking, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this turned out to be legit.

D

Deleted member

That may be true, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it happened. But like with Ganon and Falcon, they could easily have differently shaped bodies/size and still have him be a clone.
Ganondorf isn't exactly the best example either, since the same time he got a different body frame (more stout than beefy), a lot of his moves changed accordingly to fit the body type.
As well as the fact that Ganondorf is a very special case in that even while near completely cloned, he had a entirely different style to his moves despite sharing most animations. Focusing on raw power as opposed to quick, explosive hits.
Being a clone when he first entered Smash and being adjusted later to fit with his new design is also something important to note. He wouldn't have been a semi-clone in Brawl with the TP design if it weren't for his inclusion in Melee with a design closer to Falcon's build. :p

In comparison, just by not being a hunched over hulking brute by default, most of DK's attacks would have to be replaced.
And that's not getting into the main appeal to the overall concept of Funky as a playable fighter; the surfboard.

The surfboard alone is enough to give Funky his own identity as something other than a DK clone.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Has anyone grouped together the leaks that are out there?
I'm not sure this is all of them, but here's the ones I've kept so far:
Reset Ridley rumors (bottom of post, courtesy of Zeb~)
Vergeben rumor
Nintendo Online rumor
Namco leak

With the recent leaks as of late and the likelihood of more coming, I've been thinking that we could make an archival thread of sorts to keep track of them similar to what Bulbapedia does. The only issue is that the last leak thread (or rather group) was pretty negative towards the end of it, so we'd have to figure out a way to curb any issues that would come up with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My stance on Funky Kong is that he is not a clone of DK. He is not that likely, but I think Funky Kong could be a surprise character and maybe not even be a semi-clone of DK. Funky Kong should never be a DK clone at all.
Jigglypuff falls pretty firmly into the "They're likely never leaving, but I couldn't care less if they were cut" category for me.

:4jigglypuff::4falcon::4sheik::4zss::4charizard::4wiifit::4corrinf:
I want no characters to leave, also seeing Captain Falcon and Sheik in their kind of shocked me.
I guess it is because Captain Falcon tried to beat up your best friend's daughter. :troll:

Only four more weeks, y'all guys!
OH MY GOODNESS, THE HYPE!!!!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not keen on Emily's statement about the roster honestly.

>Everyone will love this roster!

Yeah good luck satisfying every single person. No matter how hard you try, there's going to be some sort of weak area, simply because of what is "perfect" being subjective. Also it might be satisfactory now, but what about later when there's new stuff people will naturally want? You'll need to stack on top of that and it creates a never ending cycle.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
At this point, more non-stop Gen 1 pandering with forced Pokemon Go mechanics sounds like such a god awful idea that it seems exactly like something right up Game Freak's alley. After nearly two full generations of Gen 1 **** sucking, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this turned out to be legit.
It's almost like Gen 1 was the focus of two international phenomena that made Gamefreak a ridiculously huge success or something...

D

Deleted member

Not keen on Emily's statement about the roster honestly.

>Everyone will love this roster!

Yeah good luck satisfying every single person. No matter how hard you try, there's going to be some sort of weak area, simply because of what is "perfect" being subjective. Also it might be satisfactory now, but what about later when there's new stuff people will naturally want? You'll need to stack on top of that and it creates a never ending cycle.
That’s not exactly what she said. She said “I know there's no way that Nintendo can make every single person happy. But for my money's worth, I think Smash Switch will have the best roster of any Smash Bros game ever.”
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...peculation-thread.28895/page-297#post-7874407

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
No, no you really can't.
As I said in the edit:

And Wolf is a terrible example, considering he was actually given his own style with only the Specials (and Final Smash) having a similar basis (though working much, much differently).
I feel like they could alter some of the animations a bit to better fit him, like how some of Bowser's animations were altered slightly to better fit him now that he was standing more upright.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm not sure this is all of them, but here's the ones I've kept so far:
Reset Ridley rumors (bottom of post, courtesy of Zeb~)
Vergeben rumor
Nintendo Online rumor
Namco leak

With the recent leaks as of late and the likelihood of more coming, I've been thinking that we could make an archival thread of sorts to keep track of them similar to what Bulbapedia does. The only issue is that the last leak thread (or rather group) was pretty negative towards the end of it, so we'd have to figure out a way to curb any issues that would come up with that.
I feel like the post Vergeben links in his post there hurts his credibility. Tails, Zero and Phoenix Wright? Snake and Noctis with Cloud? Simply too hard to believe.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What if someone unironically want Goku? Will they be satisfied? With a Mii Fighter of course-

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hello mates, long time no see. Back at it with the Smash polls with less stuff going on. Almost done with the Mega Man franchise, so that should be done later.

For the last ZX based one, Vent/Aile were the clear winners. Ashe/Grey saw some decent support. But when it came to the two villains, plus edged out Aeolus.

This next poll will be based on the Mega Man Starforce games. The follow choices are Mega Man Starforce, Harp Note, Apollo Flame, and Sirius.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This one will run all night and I will mention the results tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

I swear this will be the last thing I talk about about Funky Kong today unless someone quotes me.

Something I just realized.
Unless DK's altered to be more in line with games like Tropical Freeze, Funky Kong would actually have a major difference in his model for Smash to DK.

Since DK has the longer legs of the older DKC days in Smash, him standing upright would make him too tall to work.
So Funky would have to have the smaller legs of the modern DKC days to fit.

Compare:

It may also be just me, but I think in all the models I've seen where the two appear, Funky has slightly shorter arms and a broader chest too. More fitting for someone who stands upright and not on his knuckles all the time. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I hope Funky's intro Smash trailer shows him on his surfboard jumping a shark.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am up for another go at Kanto if:

It's a sequel.
The region changes somewhat but remains familiar in areas.
Backstory to whereabouts to the old style gym leaders, Oak, Blue, E4, Bill, etc.
We have access to Johto and it has changes due to time as well.

I am a Johto man myself but nobody can deny the pull Gen 1 has. It's THE generation of Pokemon: at its hypest, at its peak. It would be a no-brainer to set the theme around Kanto on their first big title on home consoles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom