• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
And they come out clear? No blurriness?
Or that's your first time?

Sorry for many questions, I wanna make sure the posters are at least good and not blurry.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
And they come out clear? No blurriness?
Or that's your first time?

Sorry for many questions, I wanna make sure the posters are at least good and not blurry.
Yar, this is the first time I've ordered from them. But I'll let you know when it comes in.

On a different topic... I have nothing against Shulk or Xenoblade or anything but that was the worst SSB4 trailer by far. It was really terrible

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yar, this is the first time I've ordered from them. But I'll let you know when it comes in.

On a different topic... I have nothing against Shulk or Xenoblade or anything but that was the worst SSB4 trailer by far. It was really terrible
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? IT WAS AMAZING! It had tons of awesome, flashy CGI AND tons of awesome gameplay, although I would've liked to see the Trailer with Shulk's corny British accent the first time because I like it, this Trailer did what Trailers are supposed to do, get me excited about a character I have no reason to be excited for! That swordfight between Marth, Link and Shulk was awesome and they decided to not use some of the tons of generic Japanese RPG Heavy Metal from Xenoblade for most of the trailer, and instead, they had Gaur Plains, the best song from that soundtrack.

I don't see how it wasn't an absolutely great trailer, it hit all the checkpoints. Gave us epic CGI fighting, went over the character's main playstyle, showed off the character's home stage with memorable music from their game, had a little humor (Bowser with the butterfly and swimsuit Shulk) I really don't know what you could even dislike about the Shulk Trailer.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? IT WAS AMAZING! It had tons of awesome, flashy CGI AND tons of awesome gameplay, although I would've liked to see the Trailer with Shulk's corny British accent the first time because I like it, this Trailer did what Trailers are supposed to do, get me excited about a character I have no reason to be excited for! That swordfight between Marth, Link and Shulk was awesome and they decided to not use some of the tons of generic Japanese RPG Heavy Metal from Xenoblade for most of the trailer, and instead, they had Gaur Plains, the best song from that soundtrack.

I don't see how it wasn't an absolutely great trailer, it hit all the checkpoints. Gave us epic CGI fighting, went over the character's main playstyle, showed off the character's home stage with memorable music from their game, had a little humor (Bowser with the butterfly and swimsuit Shulk) I really don't know what you could even dislike about the Shulk Trailer.
That awkward moment when you find out Shulk was confirmed via a smashboards post rather than the official website.

Ah well. Kinda knew it anyways, what with the leak...

Oh yeah, and the leak is now 100% confirmed. Same artwork for Shulk. in both.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Dude the trailer was kind of ass. The voice acting was terrible, the music didn't fit that well, the animation felt unfinished and I don't think it really explained how the character plays very well.

Maybe I'd have liked it more if I'd played Xenoblade but this trailer definitely didn't make me want to play it

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Dude the trailer was kind of ***. The voice acting was terrible, the music didn't fit that well, the animation felt unfinished and I don't think it really explained how the character plays very well.

Maybe I'd have liked it more if I'd played Xenoblade but this trailer definitely didn't make me want to play it
I thought the voice acting was great, the music was epic and the animation felt fluid and fast-paced >:C

On another note...it looks like the New Nintendo 3DS actually has a stronger CPU and GPU? What the hell? I mean, I'll probably get it if that's the case, but this feels so weird, exclusives coming to a revision only?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I thought the voice acting was great, the music was epic and the animation felt fluid and fast-paced >:C

On another note...it looks like the New Nintendo 3DS actually has a stronger CPU and GPU? What the hell? I mean, I'll probably get it if that's the case, but this feels so weird, exclusives coming to a revision only?
It makes sense, from a certain standpoint. Consider that the DSi, while it didn't have different hardware-based games from the DS/DSLite (Aside from a couple with camera support), it did introduce the downloadable games that were only for DSi... Similar situation here, I think.

And Nintendo's definitely not abandoning the current 3DS gravy train. It makes sense from a point that certain developers are wanting to start creating games using better hardware but they don't want to stop 3DS sales, game development or anything like that. So, offer downloadable games that utilize the better hardware and have those be an extra incentive to upgrade.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It makes sense, from a certain standpoint. Consider that the DSi, while it didn't have different hardware-based games from the DS/DSLite (Aside from a couple with camera support), it did introduce the downloadable games that were only for DSi... Similar situation here, I think.

And Nintendo's definitely not abandoning the current 3DS gravy train. It makes sense from a point that certain developers are wanting to start creating games using better hardware but they don't want to stop 3DS sales, game development or anything like that. So, offer downloadable games that utilize the better hardware and have those be an extra incentive to upgrade.
Yes, but I didn't want to have to buy YET ANOTHER 3DS, I already have a 3DS and an XL, the Pokemon XY XL for that matter, although I'll probably get the Smash version of the New Nintendo 3DS, I kinda like it because we could have things like Super Mario Galaxy 3D, but I also hate it because Nintendo has always been a company known for sticking to their consoles, no matter how powerful.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yes, but I didn't want to have to buy YET ANOTHER 3DS, I already have a 3DS and an XL, the Pokemon XY XL for that matter, although I'll probably get the Smash version of the New Nintendo 3DS, I kinda like it because we could have things like Super Mario Galaxy 3D, but I also hate it because Nintendo has always been a company known for sticking to their consoles, no matter how powerful.
Oh no I'm with you on that.

But Nintendo's different now... They're becoming a lot closer with third party devs and letting them dictate a bit more of what they do. Namco Bandai being the most obvious at the moment. Not just Smash, they also worked on MK8, they helped develop two of Nintendo's highest priority titles which is interesting. I think that Nintendo will become a lot more accommodating to third parties soon which is good as it's more likely the hardware quality will be more or less on par with the competition in future generations

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Namco has been involved with Mario Kart for ages. That's why Mamagotchi and the pac abominations were in the arcade version. I don't feel they did a good job but then, outside of 7, Nintendo has done a terrible job of making Mario Kart games too IMO so whatever really.

As for Shulk, a few basic slashes and an OP beam sword does not an interesting character make. That's all we saw of his fighting style and the rest was just a CGI rendition of the same with a few non-gameplay gimmicks thrown in.

No trailer has really got me hyped since Little Mac's, which was a perfect example of how to build hype even among those who've never heard of him.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Namco has been involved with Mario Kart for ages. That's why Mamagotchi and the pac abominations were in the arcade version. I don't feel they did a good job but then, outside of 7, Nintendo has done a terrible job of making Mario Kart games too IMO so whatever really.
The arcade is one thing, but meh.

I know I'm in the vast minority here but Mario Kart Wii is easily my favorite in the series. People always say how bad the motion controls were but I found them to be good. Really good, if using the wheel. It also had the best roster of characters and courses imo. I'm hoping that DLC helps with that in MK8. If the amount of stages and characters are increased (past what we already know of the two DLC packs) then MK8 will likely become my favorite.

Still though. No Diddy Kong or Bowser Jr... Silly. Waluigi wasn't even in MK7 but, you know. Wiggler. Freaking honey queen. I didn't like MK7 very much at all. Actually I don't particularly love any of the handheld MK games.. They're not bad but they're definitely not on par with 64, DD, Wii & 8. It's odd because everyone seems to love the DS one the most. I don't get that at all. Snaking is probably why, Advanced Techniques for the sake of advanced techniques. smh

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The arcade is one thing, but meh.

I know I'm in the vast minority here but Mario Kart Wii is easily my favorite in the series. People always say how bad the motion controls were but I found them to be good. Really good, if using the wheel. It also had the best roster of characters and courses imo. I'm hoping that DLC helps with that in MK8. If the amount of stages and characters are increased (past what we already know of the two DLC packs) then MK8 will likely become my favorite.

Still though. No Diddy Kong or Bowser Jr... Silly. Waluigi wasn't even in MK7 but, you know. Wiggler. Freaking honey queen. I didn't like MK7 very much at all. Actually I don't particularly love any of the handheld MK games.. They're not bad but they're definitely not on par with 64, DD, Wii & 8. It's odd because everyone seems to love the DS one the most. I don't get that at all. Snaking is probably why, same **** with why people prefer Melee. Advanced Techniques for the sake of advanced techniques. smh
In terms of multiplayer freeplay, the Wii incarnation was great but it suffers from the same terrible flaws as Double Dash: OP items destroying the ability to play the game seriously and unlock requirements that expect you to do so. Wii is not quite as bad as Double Dash in that department but the mandatory bike use then makes it worse as they control so badly compared to karts and require you to relearn the motion controls every time you switch vehicle types.
As someone who simply cannot get the hang of MK's drifting, I find most of the characters irrelevant as they are simply too heavy to turn, making MK7's inclusion of Lakitu a big plus for me. My favourite character is, of course, the DS' shyguy because he just controls so well (dare I say it, like a diddy kong racer) but that alone is reason enough to never buy the game as he's only available in download play.

In my view atleast, 7 took the best part of Wii (motion controls) the best part of Arcade GP (coins) and the best part of 64 (holding items behind you), while bringing in better physics, underwater driving and fairer blue shells. Its stages were good quality, if as unrelated to the main series as most and the only aspect of them I really disliked was the 3 segment one lap races.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
In terms of multiplayer freeplay, the Wii incarnation was great but it suffers from the same terrible flaws as Double Dash: OP items destroying the ability to play the game seriously and unlock requirements that expect you to do so. Wii is not quite as bad as Double Dash in that department but the mandatory bike use then makes it worse as they control so badly compared to karts and require you to relearn the motion controls every time you switch vehicle types.
As someone who simply cannot get the hang of MK's drifting, I find most of the characters irrelevant as they are simply too heavy to turn, making MK7's inclusion of Lakitu a big plus for me. My favourite character is, of course, the DS' shyguy because he just controls so well (dare I say it, like a diddy kong racer) but that alone is reason enough to never buy the game as he's only available in download play.

In my view atleast, 7 took the best part of Wii (motion controls) the best part of Arcade GP (coins) and the best part of 64 (holding items behind you), while bringing in better physics, underwater driving and fairer blue shells. Its stages were good quality, if as unrelated to the main series as most and the only aspect of them I really disliked was the 3 segment one lap races.
I definitely prefer the heavier characters myself... Usually keep a moderately high weight and moderately low handling in MK7 & 8.

MK7's tracks were just kinda... meh, for me, I guess. There were very few that stick out much in my memory, I usually think of the Shy Guy desert one and Wario's Shipyard.

I actually prefer the Karts in MKWii over the bikes. People always say the bikes were OP but not really in my experience.. Or, rather, it depended on the track, much like in MK8. I wrecked a lot online with Offroader + Dry Bowser/Funky Kong in MKWii, even against many bikes. It's all in how you play the game, much like Smash in that way.

Lighter racers I don't even know what to do with. I do praise Odin for the kart customization so I can at least make them kind of heavy when I'm using them.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I understand bikes had a better drift or something but they were way worse if, like me, you played without drifting. They were awkward to control and just not how the series was meant to be played. I did not like bikes.
Good on you for sticking to your guns and learning to win without them.

In terms of stages, I found the Bowser's Castle and Music Park to be the most memorable of the new ones but returning stages like Koopa Cape and Rainbow Road SNES were also vastly improved. Still, Tick Tock Clock is the only Mario Kart stage I know of to represent an actual Mario location and that's something I feel the series needs to do way more of.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I understand bikes had a better drift or something but they were way worse if, like me, you played without drifting. They were awkward to control and just not how the series was meant to be played. I did not like bikes.
Good on you for sticking to your guns and learning to win without them.

In terms of stages, I found the Bowser's Castle and Music Park to be the most memorable of the new ones but returning stages like Koopa Cape and Rainbow Road SNES were also vastly improved. Still, Tick Tock Clock is the only Mario Kart stage I know of to represent an actual Mario location and that's something I feel the series needs to do way more of.
No way did bikes have a more useful drift than karts, at least in the way that I play it. Karts got the double-boost from it which made ALL the difference for me. wheelies are great and all but they leave you too vulnerable imo and bikes aren't worth it, thus.

I shrug though, I rather liked the mission modes that MKDS had. I kinda wish they'd come back, especially in the console versions. I mean, damn son. There's likely a lot of unused resources that MK8 could have used which is why it feels empty to me. MKWii feels like they pushed a lot to the limit of what they could do with the Wii at that time (Without resorting to dual-layer disc). The handheld ones though just kinda feel like they gave in at a certain point and were just like "welp. That's all we can do."

I take issue with MK7 only having 17 drivers.. Mario Kart character files aren't particularly large, at least compared to SSB's. And Smash 4 will have roughly 3 times the amount of characters present in game. It feels odd to me that the roster was so small.

I enjoyed Double Dash a lot, but it could have been improved. I really hope MK9 offers a Double Dash mode since it offered a very different feeling experience than the other MK games did. I feel like it's got a lot of replayability compared to the others

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't see what the big deal with the new 3DS is. I have a launch OG 3DS and have no plans to ever replace it. This new one isn't that enticing either. It will have exclusives, sure, but so did the DSi. Very few people cared. If you don't want to cut into your wallet again, simply don't get it. No one's holding you at gunpoint.

As for the Shulk trailer....meh. I don't know anything about Xenoblade, so maybe I just didn't get it. But even despite my ignorance, it wasn't that entertaining. Fairly basic, even minimalist, compared to some of the other trailers. I think the earlier trailers were stronger, for some reason. Everything shown at E3 2014 and after has either some sort of problem with communicating the character's moveset or a lack of entertainment value in the CG department. Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, and Greninja all had hype-worthy trailers packed full of fantastic CGI, good build-up to the reveal, and an ample amount of moveset demonstration. That's just my opinion, though, and it's not like all pre-E3 trailers were amazing, either. Wii Fit Trainer's is the worst so far, easily.

To keep the subject on stages, by the way, I'm glad to know Corneria is getting a Final Destination version. I've always liked the background of the stage, but not the layout quite as much.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't see what the big deal with the new 3DS is. I have a launch OG 3DS and have no plans to ever replace it. This new one isn't that enticing either. It will have exclusives, sure, but so did the DSi. Very few people cared. If you don't want to cut into your wallet again, simply don't get it. No one's holding you at gunpoint.

As for the Shulk trailer....meh. I don't know anything about Xenoblade, so maybe I just didn't get it. But even despite my ignorance, it wasn't that entertaining. Fairly basic, even minimalist, compared to some of the other trailers. I think the earlier trailers were stronger, for some reason. Everything shown at E3 2014 and after has either some sort of problem with communicating the character's moveset or a lack of entertainment value in the CG department. Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, and Greninja all had hype-worthy trailers packed full of fantastic CGI, good build-up to the reveal, and an ample amount of moveset demonstration. That's just my opinion, though, and it's not like all pre-E3 trailers were amazing, either. Wii Fit Trainer's is the worst so far, easily.

To keep the subject on stages, by the way, I'm glad to know Corneria is getting a Final Destination version. I've always liked the background of the stage, but not the layout quite as much.
Dude the 3DS XL is leaps and bounds better than the OG 3DS. I had gotten a red 3DS for Sticker Star (You can understand my pain) and it was just terrible to use. The casing got way too hot. So much so that I just played with it sitting on a table. The XL not only fits my hands better but doesn't get nearly as hot and the Start/Select buttons are actually buttons, which is way nice. I don't really have much opinion on the "New" one. Would have rather they'd waited a couple more years and beefed the hell out of the CPU and RAM for an all new console rather than doing a DSi type of thing. But it looks fairly legit. We'll have to see how it goes.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Dude the 3DS XL is leaps and bounds better than the OG 3DS. I had gotten a red 3DS for Sticker Star (You can understand my pain) and it was just terrible to use. The casing got way too hot. So much so that I just played with it sitting on a table. The XL not only fits my hands better but doesn't get nearly as hot and the Start/Select buttons are actually buttons, which is way nice. I don't really have much opinion on the "New" one. Would have rather they'd waited a couple more years and beefed the hell out of the CPU and RAM for an all new console rather than doing a DSi type of thing. But it looks fairly legit. We'll have to see how it goes.
Oh, no doubt. The 3DS XL is pretty awesome from what little I've played of it. I do have no interest in upgrading, though. My 3DS serves me well. Wouldn't think of replacing it except for under very specific circumstances. Besides, I only have like 3 3DS games anyway. I've still spent more money on the system itself than on games for it. Trading up would just be a financial black hole for me.

As for the new one, it certainly looks like an excellent improvement. It's not one I personally have any use for, though. It
looks better for Smash, but by the time it releases, I'll probably have ditched the 3DS version completely in favor of the Wii U.

Would it be blasphemy to say I don't really enjoy Mario Kart? I like MK7, MK8, and MKDS well enough, but I got bored of them very easily and have tended to not touch them after playing for a few weeks. The only one that's held my attention indefinitely has been Double Dash. For the most part, I feel as if Mario Kart is too much of the same, and just isn't the kind of racing game for me. I've fallen in love with the Sonic & All-Stars games, though, and I think each of them blows every Mario Kart out of the water.

Speaking of Mario Kart...maybe we should do another Mario-related round soon. We actually haven't decided on the next round yet, but it's definitely something we'll need to discuss a bit more.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh, no doubt. The 3DS XL is pretty awesome from what little I've played of it. I do have no interest in upgrading, though. My 3DS serves me well. Wouldn't think of replacing it except for under very specific circumstances. Besides, I only have like 3 3DS games anyway. I've still spent more money on the system itself than on games for it. Trading up would just be a financial black hole for me.

As for the new one, it certainly looks like an excellent improvement. It's not one I personally have any use for, though. It
looks better for Smash, but by the time it releases, I'll probably have ditched the 3DS version completely in favor of the Wii U.

Would it be blasphemy to say I don't really enjoy Mario Kart? I like MK7, MK8, and MKDS well enough, but I got bored of them very easily and have tended to not touch them after playing for a few weeks. The only one that's held my attention indefinitely has been Double Dash. For the most part, I feel as if Mario Kart is too much of the same, and just isn't the kind of racing game for me. I've fallen in love with the Sonic & All-Stars games, though, and I think each of them blows every Mario Kart out of the water.

Speaking of Mario Kart...maybe we should do another Mario-related round soon. We actually haven't decided on the next round yet, but it's definitely something we'll need to discuss a bit more.
I liked Sonic All Stars Racing as well. But they cut Billy Hatcher in the second game! Fist shaking!!!

Mario Kart is a kind of mindless game that I can play while listening to audiobooks so I love it. Mario Kart, Brawl, Hitman Blood Money, Euro Truck Simulator, and when I'm playing them, WoW & Smite are my go-to games since I can't sit still and just listen to my books but if I do something too distracting then I'm not hearing the book at all.

Mario Kart round would be great. Zelda 3DS round would be hecka baller. I've had an entry made for that one for a long time that I'm excited to use.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
ryuu seika, all Mario Kart games are amazing...especially 8...
Also, I found the swordfight on the trailer to be REALLY exciting, and BridgesWithTurtles, the trailers since E3 have been trailers directed at each character's specific fanbase, while the pre-E3 trailers were more general, directed at a broader audience, and I don't like that, I feel like a Mario trailer should be directed at Mario fans, a Zelda trailer at Zelda fans...so I don't care what any of you guys say or if you're salty because of the leak...that trailer was absolutely epic.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Also, I found the swordfight on the trailer to be REALLY exciting, and BridgesWithTurtles, the trailers since E3 have been trailers directed at each character's specific fanbase, while the pre-E3 trailers were more general, directed at a broader audience, and I don't like that, I feel like a Mario trailer should be directed at Mario fans, a Zelda trailer at Zelda fans...so I don't care what any of you guys say or if you're salty because of the leak...that trailer was absolutely epic.
To each his own. As I said, I haven't played Xenoblade, so Shulk's trailer being directed at fans of that game did nothing for me. I like the pre-E3 trailers for being easily enjoyable for a broad audience (and they certainly had their fair share of fanservice too, just look at the Mega Man trailer). Kind of like Smash itself. That's kind of the point of trailers. They're ads. You want to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible.

Anyway, I do maintain that Shulk's trailer is overall one of my least favorite. Wii Fit Trainer's would be the worst, though. Best part of Shulk's trailer, for me, was the reveal of his stage, which looks exceedingly cool and unique.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
To each his own. As I said, I haven't played Xenoblade, so Shulk's trailer being directed at fans of that game did nothing for me. I like the pre-E3 trailers for being easily enjoyable for a broad audience (and they certainly had their fair share of fanservice too, just look at the Mega Man trailer). Kind of like Smash itself. That's kind of the point of trailers. They're ads. You want to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible.

Anyway, I do maintain that Shulk's trailer is overall one of my least favorite. Wii Fit Trainer's would be the worst, though. Best part of Shulk's trailer, for me, was the reveal of his stage, which looks exceedingly cool and unique.
WFT's at the very least had the shock factor going for it the first time you saw it. It was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat no this isn't real this can't be real okay wow it's real"

Plus it was funny in the beginning. I definitely preferred WFT's to Shulk's.

Poor Villager shared his with the game itself. It barely counted as his trailer.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I only played the android version of Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing and it was fun for a while but soon lost appeal due to how simple it was. Blowing Mario Kart out the water, however, is far from a hard goal to achieve. In the party racing genre, Diddy Kong Racing, the first 2 Snowboard Kids games and Sonic Riders all held more appeal for me.

DKR had fixed items, making it more skill based for a better single player. The world exploration and Co-Op also helped, as well as the forever memorable music. Never touch the DS version though, they altered so many of the mechanics to the extent that it's basically just a bad Mario Kart now.

Snowboard Kids had a good comic feel and a better item selection, with its blue shell equivalent being stat debuffs, meaning it could be just as effective but not so immediately devastating and obnoxious. It also played one level at a time with the majority of upgrades purchasable from the start, meaning that there was less of a need to win all the time against the RNG. That is what really destroys most Mario Karts.

And Sonic Riders was less item focused and thus less chaotic, again making the singleplayer experience way less unpleasant.

The most noteworthy thing about these games though is that they were balanced. Almost every combination of character and vehicle was playable and had a good chance at winning (ok, SBK's Star Board was OP but that's just one board). It's not like Mario Kart where you are actively rewarded for picking a character who can't turn by its boost system.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I only played the android version of Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing and it was fun for a while but soon lost appeal due to how simple it was. Blowing Mario Kart out the water, however, is far from a hard goal to achieve. In the party racing genre, Diddy Kong Racing, the first 2 Snowboard Kids games and Sonic Riders all held more appeal for me.

DKR had fixed items, making it more skill based for a better single player. The world exploration and Co-Op also helped, as well as the forever memorable music. Never touch the DS version though, they altered so many of the mechanics to the extent that it's basically just a bad Mario Kart now.

Snowboard Kids had a good comic feel and a better item selection, with its blue shell equivalent being stat debuffs, meaning it could be just as effective but not so immediately devastating and obnoxious. It also played one level at a time with the majority of upgrades purchasable from the start, meaning that there was less of a need to win all the time against the RNG. That is what really destroys most Mario Karts.

And Sonic Riders was less item focused and thus less chaotic, again making the singleplayer experience way less unpleasant.

The most noteworthy thing about these games though is that they were balanced. Almost every combination of character and vehicle was playable and had a good chance at winning (ok, SBK's Star Board was OP but that's just one board). It's not like Mario Kart where you are actively rewarded for picking a character who can't turn by its boost system.
I was with you with Diddy Kong Racing. Slightly disagreed with Snowboard Kids. You lost me completely with Sonic Riders.

I watched again now... I'm sorry, this one just feels kind of half-assed. The opening cinematic of it was okay, I guess, with Bowser & his butterfly. But... Yar, the gameplay segment did not make me want to use the character at all. Aside from the different ways the Monado changes his strengths, he doesn't feel original really at all.

Plus this looks really bad. I cringed when he said "I'm really feeling it" and "It's Shulk time" I'm sure that they're from the game but... Bad.

Huh. actually looks better in the screenshot than the video. Either way. I'm sure he'll be fine in game but the trailer wasn't very good at all

And while sure I don't love the leak by any stretch of imagination, I figured for a long time that Shulk would be in and probably would love the BJr trailer

Last edited:

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Sonic riders was a really good game. Zero gravity was pretty good too but the pace has slown down and free riders I didn't bother getting it. It probably would of been fun if it wasn't for that damn kinect.

If the pattern continues, then the next sonic riders game will be terrible. Sonic 06 levels. Lol

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Shulk has grown on me (as has the trailer) now that I have watched it several times. I've yet to play Xenoblade, so I wasn't very thrilled with the character, but I am digging his visual style and animations. So even if he doesn't have a lot to separate him from the other sword fighters, I think he will be fun to watch in battle.

Also, I don't think the voice acting is all that bad in the trailer, it just seems a lot worse because the acting was so good in the Robin trailer.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
I watched again now... I'm sorry, this one just feels kind of half-*****. The opening cinematic of it was okay, I guess, with Bowser & his butterfly. But... Yar, the gameplay segment did not make me want to use the character at all. Aside from the different ways the Monado changes his strengths, he doesn't feel original really at all.

Plus this looks really bad. I cringed when he said "I'm really feeling it" and "It's Shulk time" I'm sure that they're from the game but... Bad.

Huh. actually looks better in the screenshot than the video. Either way. I'm sure he'll be fine in game but the trailer wasn't very good at all

And while sure I don't love the leak by any stretch of imagination, I figured for a long time that Shulk would be in and probably would love the BJr trailer
I agree with you that the Shulk trailer seemed lackluster as well, mostly becuse it didn't have a 'story' of any kind to tell.
For example, Greninja had its surprise, Robin/Lucina had lots of twists and turnabouts - almost strategical placement and timing, Little Mac showed his hard work and training... all fitting for those characters, I think.
Shulk just kind of... happens to be there, and then he shows off his skills. Then the gameplay footage starts, and he shows off more skills. But in the end, I still have no idea how he's going to play.
This trailer is also one of the only ones that doesn't have its own particular artstyle, and even the background doesn't really look especially characteristic. I thought it was somewhere around the Battlefield stage originally.

I have not played Xenoblade either, but I can't imagine this trailer doing the character justice. It's a little too 'basic' for that.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
(Resists urge to say "You're too slow!" because Sonic Round)

So anyhoo, guys,what it look like? I'm totes getting more okay with the leak now... I like the look of BJ a lot, honestly.

Edit: So it came, @ Jords2Good Jords2Good

It looks good, honestly. A little pixelated when you look real close but not bad for a custom poster for $14. I kinda wish I'd done the larger one, but meh. Still glorious. Happy with it.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Wow. The grades still aren't up for this? Maybe this should be the last round...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wow. The grades still aren't up for this? Maybe this should be the last round...
It's been almost two weeks. I'm not sure if it's taken this long before. They're probably super busy though. You can't always expect swiftness on a forum since it's not that important and stuff

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
(Resists urge to say "You're too slow!" because Sonic Round)

So anyhoo, guys,what it look like? I'm totes getting more okay with the leak now... I like the look of BJ a lot, honestly.

Edit: So it came, @ Jords2Good Jords2Good

It looks good, honestly. A little pixelated when you look real close but not bad for a custom poster for $14. I kinda wish I'd done the larger one, but meh. Still glorious. Happy with it.
Wow that is actually nice, thanks for the pic.
I'll definitely order one some day.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm very, very sorry. A lot of weird school related stuff has been happening.
I have issued scores, but not comments.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
@ Kevandre Kevandre : How did you get that poster?
(My grades have been in for a while now, BTW.)
Vistaprint.com, yo. It's not badly priced and they don't seem to care about copyright.

There's another website that does custom wall scrolls and I had considered that too but I only have Posters otherwise and it woulda clashed

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm fairly certain that they way it works is that they sell you the printing service and not the actual product, meaning that they are at no point breaching copyright themselves and, so long as the print is for personal use only, you are covered by fair usage.
If you try and sell your poster, then copyright claims could be made but, realistically, you'd have to be selling a good deal for anyone to care.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm fairly certain that they way it works is that they sell you the printing service and not the actual product, meaning that they are at no point breaching copyright themselves and, so long as the print is for personal use only, you are covered by fair usage.
If you try and sell your poster, then copyright claims could be made but, realistically, you'd have to be selling a good deal for anyone to care.
And that's what I'm thinking too. I just know that in the past I had tried things like cafepress and they were like "nope can't do that gotta cover our butts."

Top Bottom