• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeeeeeeeeah! This is very exciting. First place without tying this time. :)

I had been a little concerned that @ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict would take it based on location alone since I too think of Pandora's Labyrinth as one of the most memorable locations and the stage design was legit. Other entries were also rather good, I'd say a great round in all

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
2nd place! not too shabby! I was worried that my stage might be deemed unplayable, but hey, that's what happens when you try to turn a location based on utter chaos into a fighting arena.

Congrats to @ Kevandre Kevandre for winning!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The round is definitely closed at this point, if that's what you're getting at. We've decided to just go it with three judges for the time being. With everyone getting busy with school and the game itself, cutting it down to three will work better for us. We'll get those grades up as soon as possible, and we'll continue the contest if people are still interested in it. We've actually discussed the idea of just concentrating on Wii U stages for the time being, since it seems most people are just trying to enjoy the stages the 3DS version actually has.
I just wanted to double check if this was still the case- If it is, since we are now between rounds, I would post my Zelda 3DS stage I put together. But I don't want to prematurely upload a potential entry, you know? Thanks!

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I just wanted to double check if this was still the case- If it is, since we are now between rounds, I would post my Zelda 3DS stage I put together. But I don't want to prematurely upload a potential entry, you know? Thanks!
I also want to know this, for the same reason. Judges?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I also want to know this, for the same reason. Judges?
I'd recommend you do what you want. Use your judgment, you know? Personally, I'd hold onto it if the stage is from a potential round that may be done in the future, or until the contest itself ends for good. Heh, I'll bet there are some stage ideas people are just waiting to post, having not had an appropriate round to enter them in.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd recommend you do what you want. Use your judgment, you know? Personally, I'd hold onto it if the stage is from a potential round that may be done in the future, or until the contest itself ends for good. Heh, I'll bet there are some stage ideas people are just waiting to post, having not had an appropriate round to enter them in.
:/

Well, @ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict , if you upload yours I'll do the same. Up to you

I'm sure we can both think of new Zelda stages just in case anyway.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
:/

Well, @ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict , if you upload yours I'll do the same. Up to you

I'm sure we can both think of new Zelda stages just in case anyway.
Jeeze, man. Leave the big important decision to me, why don't you...

Um...

Well, I...

Erm...

DAMMIT, MAN, I CAN'T HANDLE THE PRESSURE

ryuu seika

Smash Master
This is an interesting idea, but is this even a location from the games? (Maybe I suck at research, but I couldn't find an Ice Cream Spring area when looking up Kid Icarus stuff.) Still, the idea sound interesting, and I think it would be fun and different to play on with the Ice Cream healing mechanic, but I took off points for this not being an actual location from the Kid Icarus games.
I opened my stage description with an explanation of where it came from in an attempt to preempt such confusion.

The name is fabricated but it is a rather faithful rendition of a specific room. The room in question is a temple like area housing a creamy coloured liquid that heals players and seems very reminiscent of the whole "floor icecream" thing. This liquid is seen throughout the first game but the temple area is, to my knowledge, the only dedicated room of it.

I'm not sure if that actually warrants a better popularity score in any way but I would like it known that my stage is a specific location that also represents a more general aspect of the game.

I would also like to reiterate that any similarity between mine and RADSheikah's stages is pure coincidence since, while he had the idea first, the content was edited into his post long after my stage was entered.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Jeeze, man. Leave the big important decision to me, why don't you...

Um...

Well, I...

Erm...

DAMMIT, MAN, I CAN'T HANDLE THE PRESSURE

Your Scott Pilgrim reaction picture has made me decide to do the thing. I'll bet I can find some other thing if such a round were to arise.

I'd like to preface by saying that months ago (After making the stage) I asked D-Idara if this would be valid in the stages for a 3DS Zelda round, he told me that while he couldn't speak for other judges, he'd be okay with this because it at least made sense. And so... Without further adieu...

Awakening in Subcon
A mashup stage between Zelda: Link's Awakening and Super Mario Bros 2 (US)

"A... Some sort of rift?"
The idea originally came from the knowledge that both games never really happened. Link's Awakening was a dream all along, as was Mario Bros 2. That coupled with the fact that Link's Awakening had several Mario characters/enemies present in the game made this an easy choice for me.

This stage, as you can see, has three platforms. The top two are drop-thru-able platforms at varying lengths, they remain stationary. The bottom platform is solid, slightly shorter than the middle platform but longer than the top one.

Any water or platforms in the background are just that- background. There for aesthetic alone.

However... you'll almost never see the stage as basic as this.

On the bottom platform will pretty much always be at least some sort of hazard taken from these games.

Birdo shoots projectile eggs at you that cause about 5% damage and can knock you off the side. He can be KO'd.

These aren't the Cuccoo item... I made the stage before those were announced. These cuccoos just stand there, if they get attacked, they'll all gang up on you and... well, you don't want that.

This one I did make after the chain chomp AT was announced but I couldn't think of a better inclusion. Chain Chomp attacks either side of his post alternatively, so if you're on the side he's not on, you're safe... for a moment. If the post he's attached to takes enough hits, it'll break and Chain Chomp will jump off the stage. He'll come back after about a minute though.

NIE OHNE KONDOM!
Buzz Blobs just stand on the predetermined spots dancing around. They have electrical stunning effects if you hit them directly, though you can KO them with ranged weapons.
Other enemies that may appear on this stage are Wart (from SMB2), Octorocks, Pirahna Plants and a Darknut.

Unlockable? Yes, I'm thinking that it unlocks when both the Birdo and Buzz Blob trophies are unlocked (Like the Subcon level in Melee, but with more Zelda)

Music:
Marelda Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE3iCf71WQU

Zelda Medley (Made using Mario Paint): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olr9ZTIRuZQ
FJ7X Link's Awakening medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdmgBezEFgA

You have no idea how long I've been holding onto this stage. As the games are releasing fairly soon, I'm (sadly) expecting this thread to die off... And I wanted to be sure to post this before that happens, you know?

Don't get me wrong though- If this thread lives on well past the games releasing I will happily eat those words.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Your Scott Pilgrim reaction picture has made me decide to do the thing. I'll bet I can find some other thing if such a round were to arise.

I'd like to preface by saying that months ago (After making the stage) I asked D-Idara if this would be valid in the stages for a 3DS Zelda round, he told me that while he couldn't speak for other judges, he'd be okay with this because it at least made sense. And so... Without further adieu...

Awakening in Subcon
A mashup stage between Zelda: Link's Awakening and Super Mario Bros 2 (US)

"A... Some sort of rift?"
The idea originally came from the knowledge that both games never really happened. Link's Awakening was a dream all along, as was Mario Bros 2. That coupled with the fact that Link's Awakening had several Mario characters/enemies present in the game made this an easy choice for me.

This stage, as you can see, has three platforms. The top two are drop-thru-able platforms at varying lengths, they remain stationary. The bottom platform is solid, slightly shorter than the middle platform but longer than the top one.

Any water or platforms in the background are just that- background. There for aesthetic alone.

However... you'll almost never see the stage as basic as this.

On the bottom platform will pretty much always be at least some sort of hazard taken from these games.

Birdo shoots projectile eggs at you that cause about 5% damage and can knock you off the side. He can be KO'd.

These aren't the Cuccoo item... I made the stage before those were announced. These cuccoos just stand there, if they get attacked, they'll all gang up on you and... well, you don't want that.

This one I did make after the chain chomp AT was announced but I couldn't think of a better inclusion. Chain Chomp attacks either side of his post alternatively, so if you're on the side he's not on, you're safe... for a moment. If the post he's attached to takes enough hits, it'll break and Chain Chomp will jump off the stage. He'll come back after about a minute though.

NIE OHNE KONDOM!
Buzz Blobs just stand on the predetermined spots dancing around. They have electrical stunning effects if you hit them directly, though you can KO them with ranged weapons.
Other enemies that may appear on this stage are Wart (from SMB2), Octorocks, Pirahna Plants and a Darknut.

Unlockable? Yes, I'm thinking that it unlocks when both the Birdo and Buzz Blob trophies are unlocked (Like the Subcon level in Melee, but with more Zelda)

Music:
Marelda Medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE3iCf71WQU

Zelda Medley (Made using Mario Paint): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olr9ZTIRuZQ
FJ7X Link's Awakening medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdmgBezEFgA

You have no idea how long I've been holding onto this stage. As the games are releasing fairly soon, I'm (sadly) expecting this thread to die off... And I wanted to be sure to post this before that happens, you know?

Don't get me wrong though- If this thread lives on well past the games releasing I will happily eat those words.
This is f***ing brilliant.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Well, if @ Kevandre Kevandre 's doing it, I see no reason not to post mine. Besides, I trust you thread-goers not to steal my idea if a Zelda 3DS round does show up. You wouldn't do that to me, right?

RIGHT?

...ehem. Well then, let's do this!
Ladies and gentlemen, I have crafted a stage from my all-time favorite Zelda game!

...no, not that one.

Not that one either.

Nope.

AHAHAHAHA get that piece of crap out of my face.

Getting Warmer!

No, friends, none of those games are my favorite. Believe it or not, my all time favorite Zelda game is...

Now please, hold back your hideous mocking laughter for just a moment. I will not attempt to make you like this game, for that is not the purpose of this post. No, this post is meant to show you a Smash Bros stage from my Favorite Zelda game!

So, with that out of the way...

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome back once again... to the Temple of the Ocean King.

Make all the jokes you want about it, there is no doubt this is the single most iconic location from that game.

Now then, let me show you the stage!

Stage Name: The Temple of the Ocean King

Game: The Legend of Zelda: the Phantom Hourglass

Description:

As per usual, Black lines indicate solid ground, White lines indicate drop-through platforms. As you can see, it's a fairly simple layout. Two solid platforms, with some drop through platforms bridging the gap between them. It's an almost Triforce-shaped design.

For the most part, nothing really happens on this stage. Players fight, and do whatever. However, in the background, the Phantom Hourglass sits, with sand slowly draining from the top into the bottom. Beware of this sand falling, for when the sand runs out (around every minute), everyone on the field will start taking damage! Now, don't worry, it's non-flinching damage. Player's damage percentages slowly go up, but the actual flow of fighting won't be affected. However, there is a way to avoid this damage altogether. You see those pink dotted lines? If you are in between them (or, put another way, anywhere above the solid platforms), then you will not take any damage whatsoever.

This non-flinching damage effect will last for around 30 seconds, at which point sunlight will shine into the temple, refilling the Phantom Hourglass (and yes, for those who haven't played, that IS how the Hourglass is refilled. By sunlight) and allowing the entire play field to be harmless once more!

Aesthetics:

Imagine that where I have Blue in the stage pic.

So there you have it, a stage based on my favorite Zelda game!

...alright, I confess. Phantom Hourglass is my SECOND favorite Zelda game. Spirit Tracks is my favorite. But since there's ALREADY a Spirit Tracks stage (and a damn good one at that), I didn't want to try making another one. I called it my favorite because the whole rant at the top wouldn't have been as shocking/funny if I had called it my "Second Favorite Zelda".

please don't hate me

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I must have at least some concurrence with @ RADSheikah RADSheikah

I've never been a huge Zelda fan myself, but I've always respected ALTTP as a glorious game.

Not as good as Link's Awakening or Majora's imo but definitely 3rd place.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I must have at least some concurrence with @ RADSheikah RADSheikah

I've never been a huge Zelda fan myself, but I've always respected ALTTP as a glorious game.

Not as good as Link's Awakening or Majora's imo but definitely 3rd place.
I mean, like, it's not the WORST Zelda game I've ever heard of (indeed, the CDI games at least fall below it, and I'd put it above Zelda 2 and Minish Cap as well), but I refuse to place it on the pedestal that everyone else puts it on.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I mean, like, it's not the WORST Zelda game I've ever heard of (indeed, the CDI games at least fall below it, and I'd put it above Zelda 2 and Minish Cap as well), but I refuse to place it on the pedestal that everyone else puts it on.
That's basically how I feel about Ocarina of Time. It's not really a bad game by any means but I never found it to be that special. I always thought Majora's Mask was way better in like every aspect

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I, personally, could never stand Majora's repetition so that's the "amazing" Zelda game I can't get behind.
I can definitely understand that reasoning. It seems to work well with some people and not so well with others

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Also... This is my 1000th post! Very exciting.
Is it really? You're little description thingamadoohicker says that you've made 1,001 messages. Unless you made another post somewhere that wasn't this thread, but come on. CLEARLY this is the only thread anyone posts on. Right?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Is it really? You're little description thingamadoohicker says that you've made 1,001 messages. Unless you made another post somewhere that wasn't this thread, but come on. CLEARLY this is the only thread anyone posts on. Right?
Yar, when I noticed I was at 989 I started keeping count in my head. When I got to 999, I was waiting for someone to post in this thread since it's my favorite and so I wouldn't have a double post be my 1000th. So thank you @ RADSheikah RADSheikah

Also, @ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict ...

marioaddictpostings.png

HMMMMM?

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Yar, when I noticed I was at 989 I started keeping count in my head. When I got to 999, I was waiting for someone to post in this thread since it's my favorite and so I wouldn't have a double post be my 1000th. So thank you @ RADSheikah RADSheikah

Also, @ TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict ...

HMMMMM?
I... I have no idea what you're talking about.

Nope.

None whatsoever.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
In the mean time, here's a stage that could never exist within the contest's rules:

Starship Mario
Game(s) of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Stage Layout:

Description: Hub world of the second game in the Galaxy series and an area in the shape of the gaming icon's head, this is probably Mario's most recognizable location. Its layout is a near exact replica, with only a few small changes to its proportions made to enhance gameplay.
Contrary to what its game of origin would suggest, this is not a home console stage, however, but one for the 3DS. This allows each player to have their own top screen, with a small radar HUD taking the place of any absent or KOed players on the bottom one. Such a setup is required to allow each player to remain roughly upright at all times, with the screen forever centred on them and moving as it would in subspace emissary.

You see, as was briefly alluded to in the image key and implied by the above camera description, this is not a stage with normal gravity. Players will be pulled in towards the centre of the stage, regardless of where they are and, while still possible due to the slow scrolling speed, this makes horizontal KOs much harder. Extremely floaty characters, however, may be able to be hit all round the stage and comboed, which would be great fun if your opponent has the tanuki leaf.

There is little else to say about this stage except to mention the boss. Master Hand.
Appearing at random and only after atleast 5 minutes has elapsed, everyone's favourite smash boss makes himself known in a franchise specific stage, with roughly 150hp.
Not all is as you might expect, though, since the floating glove does not remain stationary this time, instead preferring to slowly drift around the starship at a constant altitude, pulling on its nose, ear, chin or cap in passing and briefly distorting its shape, much like on the title screen of Super Mario 64.
He will still perform his normal attacks inbetween toying with the stage, however.

Unlockable: No

Music:
Star Festival (Super Mario Galaxy)
Memories (Super Mario 64)

Omega Form:
The starship's cap is off, revealing flat cut "hair" comprised of flowers in a mishmash of Mario's past hair colours. The gravity gimmick is gone and so is Master Hand.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
In the mean time, here's a stage that could never exist within the contest's rules:

Starship Mario
Game(s) of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Stage Layout:

Description: Hub world of the second game in the Galaxy series and an area in the shape of the gaming icon's head, this is probably Mario's most recognizable location. Its layout is a near exact replica, with only a few small changes to its proportions made to enhance gameplay.
Contrary to what its game of origin would suggest, this is not a home console stage, however, but one for the 3DS. This allows each player to have their own top screen, with a small radar HUD taking the place of any absent or KOed players on the bottom one. Such a setup is required to allow each player to remain roughly upright at all times, with the screen forever centred on them and moving as it would in subspace emissary.

You see, as was briefly alluded to in the image key and implied by the above camera description, this is not a stage with normal gravity. Players will be pulled in towards the centre of the stage, regardless of where they are and, while still possible due to the slow scrolling speed, this makes horizontal KOs much harder. Extremely floaty characters, however, may be able to be hit all round the stage and comboed, which would be great fun if your opponent has the tanuki leaf.

There is little else to say about this stage except to mention the boss. Master Hand.
Appearing at random and only after atleast 5 minutes has elapsed, everyone's favourite smash boss makes himself known in a franchise specific stage, with roughly 150hp.
Not all is as you might expect, though, since the floating glove does not remain stationary this time, instead preferring to slowly drift around the starship at a constant altitude, pulling on its nose, ear, chin or cap in passing and briefly distorting its shape, much like on the title screen of Super Mario 64.

Unlockable: No
Music:

Star Festival (Super Mario Galaxy)
Memories (Super Mario 64)

Omega Form:
The starship's cap is off, revealing flat cut "hair" comprised of flowers in a mishmash of Mario's past hair colours. The gravity gimmick is gone and so is Master Hand.
Kind of like another stage for Smash Run with different gimmicks and stuff?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yes and no. It's intended to be the stage for a battle, if a rather big one, not a platforming lead up to the fight. In all other regards, however, it acts very similarly.
It's definitely an interesting idea and would like to see it in game. But it'd probably have to be it's own mode- but think about the possibilities that could work with this type of thing. Your Starship Mario idea is great! Extra stages in the mode could also be a semi-return of Melee's Brinstar Depths with Kraid pulling the strings again. Anistar City Gym, with some psychic type Pokemon.

10/10 full support

I'm all for so many more modes in Smash Bros.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I'd like to take just a moment to acknowledge that

SMASH BROS RELEASES IN TWO DAYS

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Endless hype man

We should have a last minute round to celebrate! Lol

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
While waiting for next round, why not have another fun intermission round? Like in Whose Line, the points don't matter. (i'll need a couple judges though, rip). So here's my intermission round:
ANY SERIES IS ALLOWED, HOWEVER, YOU MUST DESCRIBE YOUR STAGE USING 150 WORDS OR LESS.
(only pic can be source pic or diagram, however you can't put in any words in either pic, that'd be cheating)

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
While waiting for next round, why not have another fun intermission round? Like in Whose Line, the points don't matter. (i'll need a couple judges though, rip). So here's my intermission round:
ANY SERIES IS ALLOWED, HOWEVER, YOU MUST DESCRIBE YOUR STAGE USING 150 WORDS OR LESS.
(only pic can be source pic or diagram, however you can't put in any words in either pic, that'd be cheating)
Interesting... I'll do my best. BTW what about videos for music? Are those allowed?

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
For the fan lightning round my stage is
SIGMA'S PALACE from Mega Man X (I know it's half cheating but it's still from the Mega Man Franchise/series just not Classic)

This whole stage is approx. 2.5 Battlefields long . The only way to/be KO'ed is to go down the large hole in the center (the gap is a half battlefield long.) The "Claws" are moving platforms that can be stood on from the top but have spikes on the bottom. The blue thing shoots electricity like Pika's FSmash (except downwards which it along with the spikes 'spike'. This stage has a relativly large blastzone at the bottom about the size of Sm4sh's Battlefield. This stage has fairly high ceillings which knock the player back down when they hit it.

(and breathe)
So now for some 'extras' such as music.
Since this is a Wii U stage there is quite a bit more music such as:

Attachments

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Only one picture?

What if I have a few pictures and no text aside from the title if they speak for themselves?

Top Bottom