• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I expect it would be. These days you can't just throw weirdness at the player and expect it to stick without atleast some mention of what it is.
This got me thinking, we should do a Cho Aniki round sometime later :D

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The Icecream Spring
Game(s) of Origin: Kid Icarus
Stage Layout:

Description: The Icecream Spring is strange temple like room which feels somewhat out of place in the middle of stage 2-4, a perfect fit for the game's theme of everything feeling like a mishmash of punch lines that lost their jokes at the airport and ended up in another timezone. Its smash representation is just as bizarre and equally at odds with the environments found surrounding it on the stage select screen.
It is a very simple design, with only the one main platform, sunken in the middle and with pillars at its edges.
The pillars provide some interesting gameplay, with their rounded bases, tops and midsections preventing any easy interpretation of the rebound angles and greatly lessening the chance of infinites but the central area is where the stage's main gimmick comes in.
Upon first glance, it appears to be a pool like those in Delphino Plaza but this is not water. You cannot swim in it. No, this is pure, liquid icecream.
Opaque to the eye but unhindering to fall speed, this substance would cause all kinds of problems if it weren't for the fact that the magnifying glass appears over any character submerged more than 1/3 of the way in.
So, wait, icecream hurts players? Quite the opposite, actually. All bubble damage on this stage is inverted and will actually heal players instead. The fight for the centre should be quite prominent on this stage.
Yet more interesting, however, is that the same substance exists below the stage, meaning that a near death experience could potentially put your percentage back down enough to survive another hit and make a comeback.
Yes, The Icecream Spring is strange indeed.

Unlockable: No
Music:

To Be Added.

And, just for fun:
Omega Form:

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
People, I'm gonna be stepping down as a Judge, I just don't feel comfortable with myself supporting and hosting a contest about a game with the true main antagonist of the Metroid series at the helm. It was fun while it lasted~! But I guess all good things have to end at some point, like being excited for Smash4, I'll also have enough stress with the game not having Ridley and art school combined so I won't have as much time to do grades.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
People, I'm gonna be stepping down as a Judge, I just don't feel comfortable with myself supporting and hosting a contest about a game with the true main antagonist of the Metroid series at the helm. It was fun while it lasted~! But I guess all good things have to end at some point, like being excited for Smash4, I'll also have enough stress with the game not having Ridley and art school combined so I won't have as much time to do grades.
:O

Does that mean you aren't going to be grading the Kid Icarus round? Or are you leaving after this round is done?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I definitely understand not having time for school and grading.

But I honestly wouldn't count Ridley out still. I'm fairly certain we'll get DLC.. I'm thinking that we'll get some additional characters on disc for Wii U and 3DS will get them as DLC. I'm thinking Ridley is one of those. Stay positive! (Looks at my signature) It could be worse.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Given the ridiculous decisions Sakurai has made so far, I could certainly see Ridley DLC happening in the future.
Failing that, I really liked the idea someone had to use him as a stage, presumably working a lot like Lylat Cruise but with the various body parts being able to move separately.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Given the ridiculous decisions Sakurai has made so far, I could certainly see Ridley DLC happening in the future.
Failing that, I really liked the idea someone had to use him as a stage, presumably working a lot like Lylat Cruise but with the various body parts being able to move separately.
This is the one case where Ridley is too small.

That's gotta be Grima.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
So, uhh, @ Zzuxon Zzuxon @ Ascended Ascended & @ BridgesWithTurtles BridgesWithTurtles

What is going on with the thread? With D-Idara resigned/banned and such, are we continuing to do the thing? Or should we just consider it closed & done now?
The round is definitely closed at this point, if that's what you're getting at. We've decided to just go it with three judges for the time being. With everyone getting busy with school and the game itself, cutting it down to three will work better for us. We'll get those grades up as soon as possible, and we'll continue the contest if people are still interested in it. We've actually discussed the idea of just concentrating on Wii U stages for the time being, since it seems most people are just trying to enjoy the stages the 3DS version actually has.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The round is definitely closed at this point, if that's what you're getting at. We've decided to just go it with three judges for the time being. With everyone getting busy with school and the game itself, cutting it down to three will work better for us. We'll get those grades up as soon as possible, and we'll continue the contest if people are still interested in it. We've actually discussed the idea of just concentrating on Wii U stages for the time being, since it seems most people are just trying to enjoy the stages the 3DS version actually has.
This works fine for me. I definitely want to continue this thread as it's definitely my favorite. I'll probably post my Zelda 3DS stage between rounds if we're not doing 3DS rounds anymore.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
This works fine for me. I definitely want to continue this thread as it's definitely my favorite. I'll probably post my Zelda 3DS stage between rounds if we're not doing 3DS rounds anymore.
My thoughts exactly. I've got (in my opinion) a pretty solid Zelda 3DS stage, but if such a round is never going to come, I'll post it between rounds. Same with the Sonic 3DS stage I made.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What is going on with the thread? With D-Idara resigned/banned and such, are we continuing to do the thing? Or should we just consider it closed & done now?
Di's been banned before, it doesn't affect their ability to post in this thread since Di's the OP.

As for ditching the 3DS segment and focusing on the WiiU, that means I lose a potential stage archetype from my arsenal but it does make sense and it's definitely better than closing the contest.

Thankyou for bringing us this wonderful competition, D-idara, your time and effort has been very much appreciated and I wish you well wherever you go next.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
You should totes post it anyway bro. Even if it's not for points.
uh ok, I guess here goes
THEULTRADEINO'S HALF-ASSED NOT-FOR-POINTS-BUT-POSTING-IT-ANYWAYS KID ICARUS STAGE:
Aurum Island

Basically, the four quadrants will teleport over the map, the blue one has 2 floating platforms, the red one has one bigger floating platform, the green one has a wall, and the pink one has nothing (color is in-diagram only, they are all the same color if actuallyu came into fruition). In the background would be the main island, and guard rails connecting the islands (for artistic effect, not actually usable).

Music:
Aurum Island
Aurum Island
Aurum Island
Aurum Island jazz remix
(srs tho I love that song)

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
uh ok, I guess here goes
THEULTRADEINO'S HALF-***** NOT-FOR-POINTS-BUT-POSTING-IT-ANYWAYS KID ICARUS STAGE:
Aurum Island

Basically, the four quadrants will teleport over the map, the blue one has 2 floating platforms, the red one has one bigger floating platform, the green one has a wall, and the pink one has nothing (color is in-diagram only, they are all the same color if actuallyu came into fruition). In the background would be the main island, and guard rails connecting the islands (for artistic effect, not actually usable).

Music:
Aurum Island
Aurum Island
Aurum Island
Aurum Island jazz remix
(srs tho I love that song)
10/10 best stage would play

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
Not for points, just for fun because this is my favorite location in KI:U and I wanted to give it some love

Name of Stage: Galactic Sea/Space Pirate Ship (I like the way Galactic Sea sounds better, but Space Pirate Ship is more accurate, so either/or)

Game of Origin
: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Description
: Characters are fighting on large pieces of metal on the side of the ship that the Underworld Army broke while invading it (terrible picture, just to give an idea of what it would look like. Dark red line indicates the flat area players can stand on, there could also possibly be smaller platforms above the main stage, although I didn't draw them. The size is probably a bit bigger than Battlefield)

Gimmicks/Hazards
: The Space Kraken will occasionally attack the bottom of the ship, throwing characters into the air and causing 4-5 Monoeyes to come out of the broken ship and attack the characters, although they don't do a lot of damage and are easily defeated with a few attacks

Unlockable?: Clear All-Star mode on Pit, Palutena, and Dark Pit on at least Normal difficulty

Extra:
The ship is flying through the Galactic Sea, lots of pretty outer space visuals- comets, planets, constellations, etc. Possibly have Underworld Army enemies flying in the background as well

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Not for points, just for fun because this is my favorite location in KI:U and I wanted to give it some love

Name of Stage: Galactic Sea/Space Pirate Ship (I like the way Galactic Sea sounds better, but Space Pirate Ship is more accurate, so either/or)

Game of Origin: Kid Icarus: Uprising
Description: Characters are fighting on large pieces of metal on the side of the ship that the Underworld Army broke while invading it (terrible picture, just to give an idea of what it would look like. Dark red line indicates the flat area players can stand on, there could also possibly be smaller platforms above the main stage, although I didn't draw them. The size is probably a bit bigger than Battlefield)

Gimmicks/Hazards: The Space Kraken will occasionally attack the bottom of the ship, throwing characters into the air and causing 4-5 Monoeyes to come out of the broken ship and attack the characters, although they don't do a lot of damage and are easily defeated with a few attacks

Unlockable?: Clear All-Star mode on Pit, Palutena, and Dark Pit on at least Normal difficulty
Extra: The ship is flying through the Galactic Sea, lots of pretty outer space visuals- comets, planets, constellations, etc. Possibly have Underworld Army enemies flying in the background as well
This is a stage I had considered- In the end I decided that, even though it's awesome, it didn't feel Kid Icarus-y enough

Finished my grades some days ago.
So just waiting on @ Zzuxon Zzuxon then?

Last edited:

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
This is a stage I had considered- In the end I decided that, even though it's awesome, it didn't feel Kid Icarus-y enough
Yeah, Uprising has a lot of cool locations that we'll probably never see in Smash- Galactic Sea, Chaos Vortex, Rewind Spring, Dyntos' Workshop, Seafloor Palace, Reset Bomb Depot, Lunar Sanctum, Aurum Hive, and Lightning Chariot Tower all come to mind. Reset Bomb Forest is a cool stage though, I'm glad they picked that for the 3ds over the more iconic Skyworld

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
...Zzuxon might be doing something more important than grading, you know.

..........That said, I do wish he'd hurry up so we can see what the next round will be, :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm really sorry, I'll do my level best to finish today or tomorrow.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
HA! I have neither the 3DS OR Wii U necessary to even HAVE the game! Your punishment is meaningless! :p
...I take back what I said before. No punishment could be worse than what you are already going through.

You have my sympathies.

Ascended

Smash Ace
At long last, the grades are in!

Ascended's Grades:
TheMarioaddict/Pandora's Labyrinth of Deceit Popularity: 4/5
Creativity: 9/10
Playability: 6/10
Total: 19/25
Comments: This sounds like a great idea for a stage, there's clearly a lot of thought put into it, but I think it would be too chaotic and hard to play on. I would at least give it a try, but I'm not sure I'd play on it very often. Nice entry though.

Kevandre/Gemini Battlefield
Popularity: 5/5
Playability: 8/10
Total: 22/25
Comments: Great idea! I think that chapter 6 is one of the most iconic parts of Uprising, and you've managed to bring it over in a great stage that also captures elements of Uprising, such as the grind rails and the intensity gates. I also like the name that you created for it. Good job!

RADSheikah/Underworld Palace
Popularity: 3/5
Creativity: 6/10
Playability: 9/10
Total: 18/25
Comments: It's a good idea, seeing as the Underworld was the first area in the original Kid Icarus and I like the Hot Spring mechanic, but overall it's somewhat bland. I hope my words don't discourage you though! I do like the idea, I just would have liked more descriptions.

ryuu seika/Ice Cream Spring
Popularity: 2/5
Creativity: 7/10
Playability: 8/10
Total: 17/25
Comments: This is an interesting idea, but is this even a location from the games? (Maybe I suck at research, but I couldn't find an Ice Cream Spring area when looking up Kid Icarus stuff.) Still, the idea sound interesting, and I think it would be fun and different to play on with the Ice Cream healing mechanic, but I took off points for this not being an actual location from the Kid Icarus games.

BridgesWithTurtles' Grades:

Labyrinth of Deceit by TheMarioaddict
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 10/10
Playability: 7/10
Total: 21/25
Labyrinth of Deceit is a stage with a very unique and strong concept behind it. Taking one of Kid Icarus Uprising's most chaotic levels and turning it into a stage obviously has the potential to make something very interesting, but it can also have its drawbacks. For the most part, this is a really neat idea for a stage, and we haven't before seen an entry do something to this effect as strongly. However, the stage reversal, while fitting for the location, could be too disorienting to make this a perfectly playable stage. It would really depend on how often Pandora appears, which isn't explained in full detail.

Gemini Battlefield by Kevandre
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 8/10
Playability: 10/10
Total: 22/25
I'm not quite sure how popular this location is. The fact that it doesn't even have a name suggests to me that it's not all that important, but it is a location where Dark Pit is fought, so I'll give it credit for that. The stage itself doesn't do much entirely new. While the grind rails are an interesting new gimmick with decent potential, I don't think they really work well with the stage layout. It's too small and open for a quick mode of transportation to be necessary. I could see them contributing more on a stage like Palutena's Temple, but here, they seem more obligatory than anything. The rails are pretty unique, and the stage is perfectly playable. I could see it being rather and hectic in fun in free-for-alls.

Underworld Palace by RADSheikah
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 5/10
Playability: 10/10
Underworld Palace is a fair entry, but isn't anything I'd call better than average. The healing spring is a pretty interesting gimmick, as it adds a bit of depth with the risk/reward nature of its functionality. Besides this, it's a standard stage, and its most stand-out feature is the fact that it's a subterranean palace with a visual distinctiveness not offered by any other stage.

The Ice Cream Spring by ryuu seika
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 6/10
Playability: 6/10
Total: 15/25
I should really stop being surprised by your unorthodox location choices, ryuu. I was glad to finally a see a stage from one of the first two games. The Ice Cream Spring essentially shares the exact same healing mechanic with Underworld Palace, and my impression remains the same for this stage. It's sort of neat, but it's nothing that I think helps the stage stand out much. Because the majority of the stage is ice cream, there isn't much "safe" ground to fight on, so fighters would presumably be healing on a regular basis. It doesn't seem that fun to play on, and the layout itself is rather standard besides. A bit of a hit-or-miss entry, in my opinion.

Zzuxon's Grades:

Themarioaddict - Labyrinth Of Deceit
Popularity: 4/5
Total: 20/25
Comments: As one of the more memorable locations from KI:U, you get a good popularity score. Playability looks really solid, the layout is creative but fairly non-intrusive at the same time, and is clearly designed to work well with the flipping mechanic. Creativity is obviously huge here, the stage is unique and loyal to its source. Very good stage all around.

Kevandre - Gemini Battlefield
Popularity: 4/5
Creativity: 10/10
Total: 21/25
Comments: A very memorable location, have a good popularity score. Playability also looks fairly good, the only real concern is the solid platform above another solid platform. Creativity is incredible: You integrated both Grind rails AND Intensity gates? Awesome.

RADSheikah - Underworld Palace
Popularity: 3/5
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 17/25
Comments: This is an interesting stage, the healing mechanic is unusual and fits the location. Layout is also interesting. Not a ton to say here, just an all around good stage.

ryuu seika - Icecream Spring
Popularity: 2/5
Comments: I have this to say about this stage: As a judge here in this contest, I’ve seen weird stages: Gengar Graveyard, Altar of the Ancients, Koopaling Airship. This stage is weird too, but it is its own special kind of weird. It is a very subtle kind of weird, and that is awesome.

Final Results:

TheMarioaddict: 60
Kevandre: 65
RADSheikah: 53
ryuu seika: 50

Congratulations Kevandre, YOU WON!!!

Top Bottom