• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U Patch 1.1.6 Incoming!

Today, Nintendo of Japan quietly announced that Smash 4's newest update will be coming soon. Here's everything you need to know about patch 1.1.6:
  • It will include balance changes to the game
  • The patch size will be 61MB for the Wii U version and a whopping 325MB for the 3DS version
  • Replays from 1.1.5 will presumably be abolished, so be sure to save your best replays as soon as possible
  • The update will drop sometime this month (May)
Excited for patch 1.1.6? What changes would you like to see made in this patch? Comment down below and stay tuned for more Smash 4 news.

Source 1 | Source 2

Comments

Ding, dong, the witch is dead?

Thank god. i was worried we'd be playing 1.1.5 for eternity. I was honestly seriously worried that we'd have to live in 599XX until ssb5 or whatever.
More like 20FF after the bans...

Other characters I think can be nerfed without too much backlash (please do not respond, it's just an opinion after all) are :4mario::4fox::rosalina::4sonic:.
And there are a huge amount of characters that could still use a few buffs.

I would be really happy to see these buffs and changes made to :4link: in which I believe should be made to make him a better character in SSB4:

NOTE THAT THE THAT'S LISTED IS BASED OFF OF BOTH FACTS AND PERSONAL OPINION AND THAT I'LL KEEP UPDATING THIS LIST IF I MANAGE TO COME UP WITH ANY NEW IDEAS

-*Better Frame data on his entire moveset. Just so he can be more aggressive as a sword wielder. With being able to combo better with his sword attacks and at the same time, allow him to be able to contest his opponents at close range more safely.*

-Rework his Usmash, reduce the time in between each hit of his Usmash to make the Usmash sequence faster in general. Also make the 1st and 2nd hit of the Usmash drag the opponent closer to him before launching them on the final hit as well as giving it less Endlag in general.

-Less Endlag on his 3rd Jab. As well as a less Endlag on his 2nd Jab too. I see how dumb it is for him to be easily punished after his opponent shields his entire his Jab sequence.

-Grounded hitbox on his Dair.

-Dair's lingering hitboxes will be further extended to cover the bottom sides of Link's body so that it'll no longer get stufffed out by certain Uair attacks by some characters.

-Extend the protectiveness of Link's Hylian Shield against projectiles so that it'll cover his front side fully, protecting him from head to toe whenever he's standing or walking.
Right now, Link's Hylian Shield currently doesn't serve its purpose at blocking projectiles entirely due to the fact that certain projectiles, such as Mario's Fireballs, Pit's Arrows, and Greninja's uncharged Water Shurikens can manage to get around Link's Hylian Shield by either hitting him from above at his head or from underneath at his legs regardless as to whether he's walking or standing.
This specific flaw with Link's Hylian Shield defeats its main purpose at blocking projectiles. Because of this, Link ends up getting spaced out sometimes by certain types of projectiles against certain characters.
Even though Link can protect at his lower body from projectiles just by simply crouching, he's still stuck with the disadvantage of being spaced out by the opponent's projectiles due to the fact that he cannot move while crouching. Making him unable to approach and protect the lower front of his body from projectiles at the same time.
Unless if Link possesses the ability to crawl, then there's not much that he can do to advance forward and be able protect his front of his body from projectiles entirely whenever he's playing a projectile spacing game during certain MU's against a character with projectiles.

-Zair come out and travels faster. To the point where it's around the same speed as Samus' Zair.

-Grab travels out faster as well as having its Startup and Endlag reduced. B/c it currently gets beat out by a regular grab startup sometimes which is just dumb.

-Reduce Endlag on Dthrow as well as other adjustments to help make it more of a combo throw for Link to perform actual true combos with.

-Make his Dash Attack a more viable use for approaching like all Dash Attacks SHOULD be. Either give it an extra Hitbox on the initial startup so that it'll act as a 2-hit combo, or give it some armor or invincibility so that it won't get beat out by something as stupid as a simple Jab from the opponent.

-Reduce landing lag on all his aerials and reduced landing lag in general.

-Reduced Jumpsquat.

-Jump height increase.

-Increased Movement speed and Air Mobility. So he can have a better time comboing with his aerials

-Grounded Spin Attack hitboxes reworked so that they won't disappear on shields. Making it look as if Link's sword is passing through his opponent without doing any harm to them whatsoever even when they drop their shields.

-Make the Grounded Spin Attack push the opponent if they shield it instead of having opponent's shield push Link and his Spin Attack. There are certain occasions where Link's Spin Attack gets shielded while he's standing off the ledge of the stage, and he ends up getting pushed off the the stage and the Grounded Spin Attack suddenly becomes an Aerial Spin Attack, only that Link is falling downwards into a free fall state to his death instead of moving upwards like he'll normally would when activating his Spin Attack in the air.
Also have the Grounded Spin Attack push the opponent at good distance away from Link, at about 1 and a half Spin Attacks worth of distance away, just so that they can't easily punish him when the Spin Attack's animation ends.

-Less Startup on his Boomerang. Especially since it currently takes more than a second to come out. It's necessary to for this special move to receive this type of buff b/c it's used as one of Link's combo starters.

-Rework the Windbox on the Boomerang on its return. Add some Hitboxes to the Boomerang when it returns so that the opponent won't use the Windbox against Link which defeats its purpose for it to even having a Windbox. Make it in a way that's similar to the Hitboxes on Megaman's Uair, where each Hitbox will do minimum damage to the opponent but will be able to flinch them to interrupt any sort of attack they might prepare such as a Smash Attack.
Or perhaps make it similar to the tornadoes on the Hyrule Castle 64 stage, make it so that the opponent in in a tumbling motion but cannot perform any attack out of it.

-No longer needs to stop and catch the Boomerang during its return while he's moving so that he can have a better time comboing with it.

-Able to Auto-Cancel the Hero Bow. Like how Bayonetta is able to cancel out her own NeutralB just by using shield.

-Slightly less startup while he's pulling out his bombs.

-Bomb's blast radius increased.

I'm basically hoping to see any sort of buffs that'll help Link become more aggressive as well as being more efficient at comboing as a Sword Wielding character. Just to make him more of a force to be reckon with when fighting his opponents up close and personal.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I would be really happy to see if these changes in terms made for Link in which I can possibly think of:
-Better Frame data on his entire moveset. Just so he can be more aggressive as a sword wielder.
-Grounded hitbox on his Dair.
-Reduce landing lag on all his aerials.
-Reduced Jumpsquat.
-Jump height increase.
-Increased Movement speed and Air Mobility.
-Spin Attack hitboxes reworked so that they won't disappear on shields.
-Less starting lag on his Boomerang.
-No longer needs to stop and catch the Boomerang during its return while he's moving so that he can have a better time comboing with it.
-Able to Auto-Cancel the Hero Bow.
-Slightly less startup while he's pulling out his bombs.
I'll gladly take damage nerfs for attack speed buffs on Link.

I'll gladly take damage nerfs for attack speed buffs on Link.
Would probably be best if his some of his Tilts had faster frame data and became more efficient at comboing. Such as his Utilt and Dtilt. Like his Utilt, for example, currently doesn't come out fast enough and has too much Endlag for it to make a True Combo as a Utilt string. Also, Dtilt could come out faster since it's spiking property doesn't seem to have much use since it much more harder to hit with it no than the way it was post-patch.

Also I personally think that the damage should remain the same.

Last edited:
Samus:
Zair has more knockback in the beginning of the move
Invincible recovery
Bombs have bigger blast radius
A kill throw throw
Faster d tilt and/or side tilt
Wii fit:
Up throw is aCombo throw while down throw kills
Side tilt is 2 frames faster
Deep breathing lasts 5 more seconds

Last edited:
I just want an alternate option to Bayonetta, free for those who bought her but pay to download for those who didn't; keep the moveset, hit boxes, etc exactly the same; but have a character who's less likely to give overprotective parents fainting spells

Sexy Pichu perhaps?

Last edited:
Samus:
Zair has more knockback in the beginning of the move
Invincible recovery
Bombs have bigger blast radius
A kill throw throw
Faster d tilt and/or side tilt
Wii fit:
Up throw is aCombo throw while down throw kills
Side tilt is 2 frames faster
Deep breathing lasts 5 more seconds
I appreciate that you're making up thoughts on buffing non top tier characters, however I'm questioning some of these changes that you've mentioned. Mainly with Samus.
Like why would you want have invincibility on a recovery move that comes out fast and has surrounding hitboxes all around making it difficult to punish?
Also, Dtilt already comes out extremely fast, coming out at frame 1. Why make it any faster?

I'm mainly saying this based off of my own opinion. But besides all of this, Samus has already recieved a ton of buffs in the previous patch and that she does has some tricks up her sleave. I recommend that you check out this video guide right here and learn these tricks with Samus before considering making some changes to her. Keep in mind, we don't want to buff a character to a point where they're suddenly OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-VChjUNcg

Last edited:
Here's my hopes:
Buff::4myfriends::4samus::4zelda::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4ganondorf::4robinm::4charizard::4link::4palutena::4feroy::4dedede:
Nerf: :4bayonetta:
Keep the Same: :4ryu::4ness::4villager:
I agree with the characters in which you think should receive buffs, such as Link, Zelda, Jigglypuff, and Gannon. However, I'm not sure about giving Buffs to Ike considering that he's already one of the best Sword-wielding characters in SSB4. Perhaps even THE best Sword wielder in my opinion just by watching how Ryo plays him. Who's considered to be one of the best Ike players out there.

buff :4miigun: throws plz. whatever the buff is i'll take it, but please buff her throws.. :4miif:
Been a while since we heard any changes to miis

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffs to Zelda, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer. Please! And of course, other characters, but I just think these three need it most. Maybe with the exception of WFT. Zelda needs much better frame data, and Duck Hunt needs to kill somehow.

My list for changes:
1. Falco buffs
2. Falco buffs
3. Falco buffs
4. Falco buffs
5. Falco buffs
6. Falco buffs
7. Falco buffs
8. Bayo nerfs
9. Zard buffs
10. hitstun multiplied by 1.5 :]

D
Buff Mewtwo. :4mewtwo:
Nerf Greninja. :4greninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayonetta should definitely receive a nerf to her Death combo. But I believe that she shouldn't be nerfed to the point where she's complete garbage.

Bayonetta should definitely receive a nerf to her Death combo. But I believe that she shouldn't be nerfed to the point where she's complete garbage.
my guess is they will remove the thing that sets every character's weight to 100 when she does an air combo, or add a penalty to it.

Buffs to Zelda, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer. Please! And of course, other characters, but I just think these three need it most. Maybe with the exception of WFT. Zelda needs much better frame data, and Duck Hunt needs to kill somehow.
Agree. Zelda definitly needs more buffs since she still has some of her flaws despite the previous patch.
I would appreciate it if these changes were made to her:
-Better frame data, of course.
-Increased duration of her sweetspot aerials and perhaps a little bit larger to make it easier to hit the sweetspot. But perhaps also slightly reduce their killing power to keep things balanced.
-Give her an increased to her weight to the point where she's consider a medium weight character.
-Add some invincibility frames to her Naryu's Love (NeutralB) since it's absolutely stupid to see her get grabbed or stuffed out of that move.
-Give her faster mobility such as her running speed as well as give her less lag on her dash attack & grab.
-Make Din's Fire travel fast and perhaps make it able to arc upwards or downwards better. Like the way it was in Brawl.

Last edited:
Also, Dtilt already comes out extremely fast, coming out at frame 1. Why make it any faster?
are you sure dtilt is frame 1 pal? i think it might be a little slower... like frame 6...

honestly they could start by buffing her n-air and d-smash.
n-air used to be frame 3, its frame 8 now. thats a really significant nerf, and thats not even going into her additional frame of jumpsquat.

Dsmash has very low knockback and knockback growth (i heard its actually the weakest smash attack), plus it doesn't send opponents behind you when you get the front hit anymore, which was previously a very strong element of its usefulness. not to mention its slightly slower.

my guess is they will remove the thing that sets every character's weight to 100 when she does an air combo, or add a penalty to it.
They've already added a penalty to when she does an air combo by increasing her landing lag, however, I feel like it wasn't much of a penalty since she launches her opponents high enough for her to recover from the landing lag penalty before her opponent can make it down to punish her. I assume there would be perhaps be an increased duration to that landing lag penalty as a sort of balance change. Though tbh, I'm not quite sure how Bayo aerial death combos would be balance and not become garbage at the same time.

are you sure dtilt is frame 1 pal? i think it might be a little slower... like frame 6...

honestly they could start by buffing her n-air and d-smash.
n-air used to be frame 3, its frame 8 now. thats a really significant nerf, and thats not even going into her additional frame of jumpsquat.

Dsmash has very low knockback and knockback growth (i heard its actually the weakest smash attack), plus it doesn't send opponents behind you when you get the front hit anymore, which was previously a very strong element of its usefulness. not to mention its slightly slower.
I'm not a Samus main and that I don't really play her. So I don't exactly know the full detail about her. Like Dtilt may not exactly come out at frame 1, but it sure comes out pretty fast based off of my experiences from going up against her.

Last edited:
I'm not really one to clamor for buffs or nerfs to characters, but it would be nice if:

:4wario:'s D-Smash had multiple hitboxes on it(in a similar way to :4shulk:'s D-Smash). As it is now, it seems way too easy to punish when shielded.

A bit of a KBG increase to his U-Air.

A slight increase to the hitbox duration some of :4lucario:'s attacks(Tilts, Smashes, etc.).

Like I said, it'd be nice if any of that happened, but won't really care if not.

Top Bottom