• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl versus Halo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

i8waffles612

I have never played any Halo games, but from the sound of it I would it is REALLY good, and so is SSBB, and I have never played a game online before (except online computer games)

I really dont enjoy new-school. Im more of an old-schooler. Like SSB Series, Kirby 64, Mario Kart - the old games. ( I still regret trading in my N64 for a PS2 like 5 years ago(which is now half broken))

So Im going to go with Super Smash Bros Brawl =)

Sensai

Smash Master
I have a 50 something inch DLP TV in my living room, high def, etc, and I prefer my 30 or so in my room just 'cause it throws off the L-Cancelling.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
I have a 50 something inch DLP TV in my living room, high def, etc, and I prefer my 30 or so in my room just 'cause it throws off the L-Cancelling.
Were did you say you lived again...mabey I can come over and play you sometimes on that tv you say is in your living room. Also...about how much does it weigh...incase it should ever have to be lifted?

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Haha. It weighs exactly 15 pounds more then you can carry. Exactly.

And Brawl might have ranked online...does that alter anyone's opinion of the Halo vs Brawl thing?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Not really. Ranked online shouldn't even be a mode to be considered, it should just be in, no questions asked. I think that's something Nintendo will have to realize.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
It will be close but, Brawl will take it!
As Sensai said,"...it will appeal to kids and less hardcore gamers..." Plus, the edition of newly online playability is new to Brawl, so that will excite the gamers to a new experience...

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
As Sensai said,"...it will appeal to kids and less hardcore gamers..." Plus, the edition of newly online playability is new to Brawl, so that will excite the gamers to a new experience...
You lose. kthxbye

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Dude. Smashers don't use non-CRT HDTVs because they lag. Even when it's just 1 - 2 frames, which is better than what you're going to get playing Brawl with your next-door neighbor. Trust me.
I know that, and I've stated that several times. Microsoft found a way around totalyl ruining online, so why can't Nintendo do the same with SSBB? 1 or 2 frames won't totally ruin the game (unless it gets real serious). Besides, I have a HDTV so it will be further minimalized (and look better, too even if idc about graphics.

Not really. Ranked online shouldn't even be a mode to be considered, it should just be in, no questions asked. I think that's something Nintendo will have to realize.
Agreed, but Nintendo and the SSBB are only really listening to wat Japan wants right now out of Brawl. Once Nintendo and the SSBB listen to NA and Europe, they probably will change their mind on the online ranking system. I want it, but not as much as most people do. Just as long as I can fight ppl who actually challenge me I'll be fine. :) :) :)

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
As I tried to say,(I believe in another category) I do not believe Waluigi will be in Brawl...but, I believe Diddyhas a good chance. As for Deoxys...not a playable character but in a pokeball!

Despite your optimism and judgement,you are wrong sir.

By general standards alone,you can sell anything by just slapping 'Halo' on the front cover.Halo has become a flagship FPS and game in general to the point that it has been intergrated commonly in the gaming society.

Halo wins out of an inevitability...Period.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
That is your opinion... remember Smash has been out longer than Halo and the Wii sales will most likely will rise since the game should come out near christmas.Don't get me wrong, I know Halo is a very popular franchise but (IMO) Brawl will win.(it has more new features and third party characters such as Snake excite the crowd and they will buy it) But to know for sure, we'll just have to wait for both games to come out...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
By risking including this new demographic, Brawl could end up failing. As far as I know, Halo 3 is more focused on improving customizable matches, match making, weaponry, stages, vechiles and graphics. They aren't even going to look at trying to include another demographic, they're focused on keeping their old customers happy and leaving the door open for any other demographics.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
My enjoyment of halo was taken away from me when people who dont even play video games consider it to be the best game ever and has the greatest storyline of all time. Halo is good but its way too overhyped about imo. I rather play brawl but me and my group of 5-6 friends will be the weird ones if they both come out at the same time since everyone will be talking halo while we will talk brawl. Though the sales might seem different in Japan, Halo will be the top game here in the USA.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Agreed; Halo will beat out Brawl here. In Japan, however, Brawl will most certainly beat out Halo 3.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 will dominate brawl hands down. Anyone but an insanely devoted nintendo fanboy can realize this. Halo is considered by the majority of casual gamers to be the greatest game ever made. Smash is pretty much only played by a select crowd. Casual gamers are the vast majority.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask or if you're just saying stuff, but the general opinion will be that halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSBB. The big point is who really cares what those people think, I think halo is dumb as hell. No matter how many people whose first console was the xbox try to tell me otherwise isn't going to effect whether I buy brawl or not.
Hey i bet you Halo3 is gonna go down the drain i just have that feeling that Halo 3 is gonna be a bad game then the Future games of Halo are gonna be horrible >.> i just have that feeling * wasnt even all that excite when i saw at E3* <.<:ohwell:

That is your opinion... remember Smash has been out longer than Halo and the Wii sales will most likely will rise since the game should come out near christmas.Don't get me wrong, I know Halo is a very popular franchise but (IMO) Brawl will win.(it has more new features and third party characters such as Snake excite the crowd and they will buy it) But to know for sure, we'll just have to wait for both games to come out...
What I said was not an opinion,it is an established fact.Despite how long the game has been released,Halo will WITHOUT A DOUBT beat Brawl in sales.

You think that one character and the games life span will change an entire market demographic?

Fanboyism=instant win despite game functionality,and Halo is the absolute definitive point that brings that statement to be an established fact.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
^^^^
First of all, nothing is fact until it happens... You can't just say Halo "Without A Doubt" will beat Brawl in sales...Don't get me wrong, Halo could infact win but, you can't state something that didn't happen... AND... I didn't say one character will rise the sales over the chart, I said "new features and third party characters such as Snake" meaning more than one character... To wrap all this up, ALL THAT WAS IN MY OPINION!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
A few new features isn't going to be enough.

Halo fans are waiting for the story to be completed, they want to finish the fight. They get patches and customer support to stop cheaters already, so it's not like they [Bungie] don't care.

Bungie is also taking less risks. Last time I checked they weren't concerned about 'moderating the game's speed' or whatever it was Sakurai said. As far as I'm concerned, they took that risk on Halo 2 and now some Halo CE fans think Halo 2 is "for newbs". They dumbed it down for online but offline is still great, I have no clue about online's gamplay though, and from what I've heard XBL evloved BECAUSE of Halo 2.

Brawl could evolve Wii's non-existant online, but it's not as likely to happen [friend codes anyone?]

The truth is, Brawl doesn't have much to expand on. Sure they're stages, items [pfft], characters, modes and music. But not much can be done to really change the way play Smash. The best thing they can do is go out of their way to find or create openings for advanced techniques.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
^^^^
I pretty much agree with you...(for the Brawl part)but IMO Brawl will somehow take the win but whatever... Either way, I believe Smash is better than Halo and I'll be fine with it whoever sells more... I'm just saying, you just can't state a fact that hasn't happened...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm not stating facts, those are my opinions guided with a few facts [Bungie dumbing down Halo 2 [the hitboxes are bigger now], Sakurai moderating the games speed, etc.]. Honestly I don't think of it as a competition, I think of it as an advantage for us. Both companies will probably want to make their game good enough to survive on the market so they will try harder to make the game consistant and balanced.

Iamr08

Smash Rookie
it an easy question halo 3 hands down
let me give it to u which one would you most likely play a game with charaters take took a minute to invent beating the **** about of each other or an FPS kill aliens with THE best story line EVER and the reason y consols have online

Now for you calling WOW,ssbb ect is the halo killer your wrong W R O N G halo is still alive and kicking trust me ive played on them all and i years ago love SSB. & WOW but when i played on halo i dont really like them any more sure SSB is great for a good time with friend but WOW p2p i hate that. Now think which game would you think is the best game for a 16 Year Old and not getting embarest by saying they like _____
and not get made fun of............

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
You wouldn't get made fun of for playing Brawl. I like Brawl and am looking forward to that now.... I honestly don't care so much about Halo3. I already have Halo 1 and 2 and beat them both. Halo's ok but SSB is super. It's really fun at fighting. If I had a choice, I'd get Brawl.

Iamr08

Smash Rookie
Halo 3 will dominate brawl hands down. Anyone but an insanely devoted nintendo fanboy can realize this. Halo is considered by the majority of casual gamers to be the greatest game ever made. Smash is pretty much only played by a select crowd. Casual gamers are the vast majority.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask or if you're just saying stuff, but the general opinion will be that halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSBB. The big point is who really cares what those people think, I think halo is dumb as hell. No matter how many people whose first console was the xbox try to tell me otherwise isn't going to effect whether I buy brawl or not.
Dumb as hell ooooook so a GREAT FPS is even Dumber than gay little charaters beating the crap out of each other yer suuure*

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Hey i bet you Halo3 is gonna go down the drain i just have that feeling that Halo 3 is gonna be a bad game then the Future games of Halo are gonna be horrible >.> i just have that feeling * wasnt even all that excite when i saw at E3* <.<:ohwell:
It doesn't matter if it's bad. It's going to sell 300 billion units on day one, before anyone's played it. Or maybe more like six million. But it's going to break sales records.

Sensai

Smash Master
Iamr08 said:
it an easy question halo 3 hands down
let me give it to u which one would you most likely play a game with charaters take took a minute to invent beating the **** about of each other or an FPS kill aliens with THE best story line EVER and the reason y consols have online

Now for you calling WOW,ssbb ect is the halo killer your wrong W R O N G halo is still alive and kicking trust me ive played on them all and i years ago love SSB. & WOW but when i played on halo i dont really like them any more sure SSB is great for a good time with friend but WOW p2p i hate that. Now think which game would you think is the best game for a 16 Year Old and not getting embarest by saying they like _____
and not get made fun of............
I appreciate your enthusiam, but you're supposed to put the periods in the paragraph, not afterwords.

From what I could...decipher, you said that Halo has the best storyline. I'm assuming that this is between Brawl and Halo, yes? If yes, then I agree even though I'm not a fan of Halo's story. The fact is that Smash just doesn't have one (or rather, doesn't have one with an epic feel to it). If no....well, I'm sure you meant between the two games. Right?

General: Let's bring numbers into the equation. The Wii has sold something near 4 million units (a little lower), where as the 360 has sold 11 million units (once again, a little lower). Sadly, I couldn't find up to date sales data about GoW (which I'm using to draw parallels), so we're going to have to go with January 19th, which states that Gears has sold 3 million units.

I'm not going to go on and on, and I'm sure the Wii fanbase will grow, but the idea stands; GoW has sold probably about as many units as Nintendo has sold consoles. Seeing as Halo 3 is going to be MUCH more popular then GoW, it's safe to assume that numbers for Halo will be much higher.

And I dunno where I'm going with this....so /end.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
You have to forgive him for the abominable spelling and structure. Halo players tend not to think much and instead channel their rage and testosterone into killing sprees and screaming matches through XBOX live.

I play Halo too. <3

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I noticed how bad some Halo players make themselves look, it's embarrassing. Well at least I'm a hybrid :laugh:

Iamr08

Smash Rookie
You have to forgive him for the abominable spelling and structure. Halo players tend not to think much and instead channel their rage and testosterone into killing sprees and screaming matches through XBOX live.

I play Halo too. <3
lol just was in a rush thats all

classic zero

Smash Cadet
Halo has become a flagship FPS and game in general to the point that it has been intergrated commonly in the gaming society.
idk true FPSers k-no that Unreal Tourney has evolved shooter game play along with games like Counter Strike be-4 halo and with the new release of UT2007(UT-3) it may cause a unwanted out come For bungee as UT has a larger fan base and has been around longer plus not to mention it will not only be on x-box306 but PS3 and PC So it is possible that more ppl will want to play online with every one rather than just only Xbox owners.

And another thing you can’t really say that bawl will lose to halo3 b-cuz for the longest time
Every system brings there own thing to the market. playstation :: is now the leader in RPG arcade fighting games::
Xbox:: is composed of FPS more than any things else::
And Nintendo:: more the adventure and group/party gaming::

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I don't think all FPS games are annoying... but back to convo from above, classic zero is right. Game consoles have their own abilities for what kind of games they sell... Don't get me wrong(I don't believe so) but Halo does have a higher chance of selling more than Brawl... I have no clue where I'm going with this but we'll just have to wait for the games to come out...

Klydwn

Smash Rookie
Now. This isn't in the Light House. What does Halo 3's release date have to do with Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Well, it is significant in light of a hypothesis I have; being that Brawl could be a Halo Killer.
I would assume the exact opposite: Halo 3 would be a brawl killer, so Nintendo will want to release Brawl before or after Halo 3. Regardless of whether or not you think Halo 3 is going to be a "better" game than Brawl, you have to admit that Microsoft is going to spend a lot more marketing on Halo 3 than Nintendo would consider spending on Brawl. To me it just doesn't make sense that Nintendo would try to go up against the Halo 3 hype juggernaut when it could just wait a couple weeks or months for the excitement to die down.

Personally, I think there's a lot of aspects that the Halo series has that makes it a more appealing, if not better multiplayer game than Brawl. You can hear voice using the heeadphones and mikes (not always a good thing of course...). You can have more than 4 players for bigger teams/matches/parties. There's multiple game modes to keep the experiences fresh. There's more than 5 viable stages, and each map actually has a distinct personality. The weapons are reasonably balanced and always have a use, which is a lot more than can be said about the melee's joke for character balance.

I hope Brawl will pick some on some of the features that make Halo such a good multiplayer game because I like its concept a lot more than FPSs. But seriously, given Nintendo's track record with friend codes and basically no present online multiplayer capabilities, I expect Brawl's online multiplayer to be more of a barebones disappointment.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Kly is right, I've been saying basically that [other than the marketing, good call though].

I'm hoping that those companies decide to spread out their big hitter instead of fighting to kill each other's hype.

It always happens in winter, I remember winter 2004 when Rachet and Clank 3 [I can't remember the name], Killzone, Smackdown vs Raw, Halo 2, Grand theft Auto: San Andreas, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Ace combat 5, alongwith a few different 3rd parties came out.

I like most of the games listed and there is no way in hell that I would've gotten more than 2 of those games at once. Now obviously games like Metroid, Killzone and Rachet lost sales, a lot of sales, which is why it's stupid to to think for a second, that you can do good by launching near a juggernaut's launch, even if you're a juggernaut yourself, you'll just screw you and your competiton out of doing as good as you should.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Halo 3 has the advantage of sales (most likely) but I don't think Brawl will be killed in it... Whoever wins, will only be a little off (Game standards) but no blowouts.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I wonder if Halo or Halo 2 appeared on Nintendo counsels, would the few Halo haters still bash it as much?

Okay got that out of my system. Sales alone don't prove a game is better. Halo 3 will undoubtably have more sales, but if it sucks Halo 3 will not have all the hype and popularity and tournaments its ancestor games had. And even if it is good, Brawl will have not only the better gameplay, but also the feeling of uniqueness instead of the semi-uniqueness that Halo 3 and all the other FPSs I think will have.

All in all, well have to wait until they come out, but I have much more faith in Brawl than Halo 3.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I don't think that comment was directed at me (I hope to God my fanboy doesn't show...), but I'll go head and respond to it anyway.

The truth, for the people who you are referring to, is no. They wouldn't dislike it, but I'm not sure that they would praise it like M$ guys do.

I (this is honesty, mind you) still wouldn't care for it. I don't care what system it's on, it just doesn't appeal to me at all. FPSs, save CS and Metroid Prime (if that even counts) bore me. They're fun for a bit, but then quickly run outta steam.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
No Sensai, I'm not reffering to you. I am reffering to those who blatently says that the Halo series sucks without putting decent thought into their posts. I have seen those posts on here and it is stupid to say Halo 3 sucks if all they have to go on that is their opinions on the previous games.

Since my own words tell me to specify my position on the subject, The Halo series is argueably the best series on the Xbox and nobody has the ability to prove otherwise. And as far as Halo 3 goes, if Microsoft takes any caution in making its premier games like Nintendo does, it will be a great game like its predecesors. I just like Brawl more cause it is one-of-a-kind while Halo is another FPS at its core.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Actually Brawl isn't so one-of-a-kind. Smash is kinda like Power Stone for Genisis, only thing is that Genisis is older. I don't know the details of the game but I know it's just like Smash.

^^Creo,you have no idea how much people love Halo do you?

I'm not jumping to any conclusions what so ever.Halo has been established as a game god,and is anticipated more than any game on the market so far.

Even with that 1 Halo commercial that was shown on public television,was enough to make millions of rabid fanboysn to make a deep analysis on the games engine,even though it was about 1 min. long.

Even when Halo 2 was released,the amount of people purchasing the game was catastrophic,and even had their own launch events,and the game was only the second in the series.Can you imagine how many people are going to purchase this game now that they know what to expect?

Even though i'm not purchasing Halo 3,I know for a fact that it will beat Brawl in sales(In America).There is no way around it.The anticipation,demographic,events,and the information...everything about Halo 3 is driving everyone insane,and the small updates bungie gives makes every fanboy get on his knees and beg for more and more.

And as Sensei said,why does it even matter which game will sell more,as long as you enjoy it,that should make a diffirence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom